Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Hannes Porsche  
#1 Posted : 20 November 2016 02:16:01(UTC)
Hannes Porsche

South Africa   
Hi this is my first thread, so bear with me while learning the ropes. From what I have read on this forum I count as a novice and small player in the "Marklin World." But hopefully I can make up with pensioners enthusiasm where I fall short with volume of Marklin item ownership.Drool

I am seriously looking to down load the Service Manual for a 3029 Steam loco I recently acquired. It is as depicted on the photo below.
Also I have not been able to decipher the Marklin No: 68 329 TNN 0860.... as printed on the manual. This number possibly vary depending the applicable language used, I don't know.

Needless to say I bought the loco without a Service Manual or Box. Now I have to import a box from the Netherlands and wanted to print my own Manual. It now seems that this 1961 loco is becoming the most expensive in South Africa. Next time I will buy with the box and manual.

On the internet I have tried Google, Marklin-Users, Wiki and Maerklin. I even joined more new "Forums" than necessary, no success!!!!!!!.Mad
On this forum I have read the words: "Just download ..... from the internet ....." and that is where I get stuck. The idea normally is to guide a person in the "right" direction using general site addresses, but I tried many without success. I do not confer in German so generally I get lost in their web sites.

Can any one locate such manual's content and post on this thread, or copy your own Manual and post here say in a pdf file ? If not, can I be guided to such information on say the internet.

I am eagerly awaiting some guidance.BigGrin

HANNES
Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 20 November 2016 03:06:13(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Hello Hannes,

I have the booklet from a 3029 and I will scan in the 20 little pages and email you the images for you to print out.

I have a page at http://modeltrain.serveh...351c7074852567ab0008b898
that describes how to decode the Märklin print codes.

68 329 TNN 0860

329 means it is something for model 3029
TNN means 100000 copies were made in that print run
it was printed in August 1960

My 3029 manual is:

68 329 TNN 0166 ru

which means it was 100000 copies printed in January 1966

Send me a direct message with your email address so that I can email you the images directly.

The 3029 is one of the cheapest Märklin models out there, I hope you did not pay a lot for it. I am from SA also so I know Märklin stuff there is pricey due to the exchange rate, I would guess one would cost no more than R500.00 especially without box and papers.

Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline Pmare4  
#3 Posted : 20 November 2016 03:12:06(UTC)
Pmare4

Australia   
Hi Hannes,

I have attached a scan of the 3029's manual.
Unfortunately I don't know where I got the file from.

Regards
Peter

3029 instructions.pdf (207kb) downloaded 1,271 time(s).
Peter
Collecting vintage Märklin from 1935-1970, also Hornby O Gauge
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Pmare4
Offline Hannes Porsche  
#4 Posted : 22 November 2016 00:56:41(UTC)
Hannes Porsche

South Africa   
Hi Peter and Dale, Many thanks for the rapid and informative replies.
They are solving my Service Manual problem and help me understand printed codes on boxes and manuals.
I am impressed with the support from members and the quality of this Forum.

My internet address is the following: hannesvz@netactive.co.za. So Dale do send me your information.

I paid R 400:00 for the loco and is awaiting the E 20:00 priced box. That brings me to more than R 700:00, quite an expensive lesson learnt.
I liked the professional paint job that was applied to it: Silver boiler straps and lined buffers, plus golden painted whistle and relief valve on top of the boiler.
Now I have to strip, clean, repair, lube and re-assemble. Then the final test. Supplier said it was running.

I tried to upload a photo of the loco as it is now, but the editing software keeps turning it by 90 Degrees, and that looks stupid. So I will add it at a later stage.

Agian, THANK YOU. !!!

HANNES
Offline river6109  
#5 Posted : 22 November 2016 03:48:16(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Hannes, may I ask why you need the box and the service manual ? I can understand maintaining the loco and having a manual which overtime becomes unnecessary as you will get accustomed to it what has to be serviced. the box itself is only (in my opinion) any good if you store the loco but if you intend to run the loco on a regular basis a box is no longer needed.

for the purpose of reselling the loco with a box and service manual, in my opinion the loco (3029) will not increase in price (and definitely not if you paid top price for the box) there are 1000's of them on the market and the condition of course can vary but its not a collectors item nor is it worth a lot, I've converted 2 of them with a 5 pole high efficiency motor , ball bearings and led's front & rear, telex coupling and short couplings with an ESU Lokpilot decoder.

of course its everybody's own set of rules how you would like to preserve your locos, I thought I'll just point out the money one spends may not be required to do so.

there is always this rumour around, its an investment to collect Märklin trains or locos but most of the Märklin enthusiast don't realize there is only a certain amount of locos which are collectable and may increase in price over the years, in my case having over 200 locos and the improvements I've made to them will never increase in value and I'm one of those collectors who operate a layout and use the locos on a regular basis.
most of the locos Märklin decrease in price like any car, the abundance of locos on ebay is the proof in the pudding.

locos of much later production or locos before the production of the 3029 are of more importance and I would suggest yes buy a loco with its box and a service manual when available, it will be easier if you ever intend to sell them.
Some of us in this forum also surf the net for bargains, find outrages price tags, inform you of dealers (GOOD AND BAD) and if you're not familiar with ebay sales as a whole we are always here to suggest, help and support you. and of course there are always members who find a bargain or two and tell us later about their rare find but at the same time we always congratulate them finding it before us.

I assume you are going to stay with analog locos and there are plenty of us some of us started off the same way as you (like myself) and worked myself upwards to go to the next step: digital and I think I'll stop here because if we tell you how much we spend on our hobby you most probably faint but we all belong to the same criteria: it makes us happy so long there are funds available to keep going.

have fun

regards.,

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline TEEWolf  
#6 Posted : 22 November 2016 04:48:42(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Hannes Porsche Go to Quoted Post
I am seriously looking to down load the Service Manual for a 3029 Steam loco I recently acquired. ...
I am eagerly awaiting some guidance.BigGrin

HANNES

Hi Hannes,

see this link please.

http://maerklin-sammler-...iven/03029/03029_m_m.htm

Of course it is in German. But it gives you some information and description about this loco.

Please scroll the page down at the end. Below the German word "Artikelnummer" (= article number)Smile you see two adobe pdf signs. One opens the explosive drawing for the 3029. The second opnes the service manual. Hopefully it helps you.

regards

TEEWolf

P.S.: Shame on me. This loco looks as my little one I think I got from my father when I was 7 or 8 years old. I have to look in my old Maerklin box collection. I had this loco forgotten.Crying

Offline mike c  
#7 Posted : 22 November 2016 05:17:49(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The 3029 Steam Engine was one of the most common Maerklin models after the 3000 Steam Engine. It was also featured in many different start sets (2940/2943), often with a flat car and the tipping hopper car, an oval (R1) or industrial radius and a small transformer.
As seen here:

I think that I have the instructions from one such start set from the early 1970s. I think the only variation may be that earlier versions probably had an older model of the reversing relay.

Regards

Mike C
Offline DaleSchultz  
#8 Posted : 22 November 2016 17:48:26(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Note that if the steam cylinders are RED then it was sold not as a 3029 but rather included in a start set. The 3029s in their own box had BLACK steam cylinders.

Edited by moderator 07 February 2017 19:19:36(UTC)  | Reason: replaced first 'is' with 'if' - (typo)

Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline Hannes Porsche  
#9 Posted : 25 November 2016 20:21:10(UTC)
Hannes Porsche

South Africa   

Hi, I have received even more positive inputs regarding Marklin and my endeavours. Thank you.

Above is the loco that started it all.

The reply from John ( river 6019 ) touches on many aspects relating to peoples needs, experiences, collector's items, model train myths and internet procurements. And you are right, likes, priorities and plans all vary. I take note of all of your comments.

My exposure to Marklin started in 1958 with a Dondebuche Br 24, in 1980 I gave it to family, and in 2000 they converted it to digital. It is been used to this day.! So in 2010 I got myself the digital stater set ....... with the very "same" Br 24 loco and some coaches in it. Lately I have acquired some Marklin sets and concentrated on some Sonder Modelle (SOMO). I use MS 2 and a few digital consists. My layout far behind schedule - still under construction.

I have been under the impression that an un-modified, pristine model in it's original packaging is an desirable item. Being a collectable/rare item is the cherry on the cake. In this case "desirable" will vary with personal taste.

I was attracted to the extra paint applications to this 3029 loco and was going to "digitize" it. Now that I have it can not get myself to modify it, so I started to at least get a proper box and manual for it. So buying an old un-boxed loco got me in a tin, or is it in a box ??Confused It also has serious consequences regarding AC/DC layout. I AM NOT SURE HOW TO GO ALONG WITH THIS PROCUREMENT.
have you seen how many times the "Service Manual" were downloaded.????

HANNES
Offline Z-nerd  
#10 Posted : 07 February 2017 12:46:28(UTC)
Z-nerd

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
The 3029 Steam Engine was one of the most common Maerklin models after the 3000 Steam Engine. It was also featured in many different start sets (2940/2943), often with a flat car and the tipping hopper car, an oval (R1) or industrial radius and a small transformer.

Mike C

Does someone know what the last year of production was for the 3029 ?

lokmuseum.de says the loco was manufactured from 1960-1974, but the loco is not featured in the 1973 catalogue.

Was 1971 the last year you could find the 3029 in the Märklin catalogue ?
Offline RayF  
#11 Posted : 07 February 2017 16:46:23(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
It was also found in the Primex range until 1974, and afterwards in various sets during the seventies and eighties.

The latest versions appeared in the catalogue as 30295 in green/black from 2001-2003 with a delta decoder, and as 30296 in red/black in 2004, as well as a Swiss version available also around 2003 and 2004

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline cookee_nz  
#12 Posted : 07 February 2017 20:47:31(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Hi Hannes,

The humble 3029 is easy to overlook but I really like the detailing that has been done on your example and can see why it appealed.

It's easy for those of us living in areas where Märklin is readily available and/or affordable but from what I've heard many times, South Africa is not one of those places so I'm sure the opportunity to grab anything when it comes up must be a dilemma.

You initially considered converting the loco to Digital, if you did, (and John river6109 Offline will confirm), it would run like a dream and look awesome.

And the two further examples provided by Ray RayF Offline transform this loco into something else again. Might have to add those to my "keep an eye out" list ThumpUp

There is even (if you didn't think it was possible) an even more 'budget' version #2911 as provided in Marklin's "Antex" set, only two axles ...

Antex-2911-1.jpg

Regards

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline ixldoc  
#13 Posted : 07 February 2017 22:57:11(UTC)
ixldoc

Australia   
Now like Steve ( cookee-nz) I will have to keep an eye out for 30295 and 30296 both of which have great appeal despite their lowly origins.
I once pulled a 3029 apart for parts I needed . Will I never learn!.
Hannes, I think your little loco is a gem. Tough call to digitise or not. I would not, even though I have done so on many older locos.
Howard.
Offline RayF  
#14 Posted : 08 February 2017 11:00:44(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I apologise if I'm hijacking the thread, but I can't resist sharing a photo of my Primex 2760 set, which includes a uniquely coloured version of the 3029.

UserPostedImage

The little loco lends itself to the bright green colour contrasting with the black boiler and red frame. It looks really cute in my opinion!

BTW I converted her to digital with a Hamo magnet and Lokpilot decoder and she runs great both in analogue and digital.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Dave Banks  
#15 Posted : 09 February 2017 06:43:47(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
For those of you who have watched the series "The heavy water war" on Netflix, you will notice Marklin #3029 featured a few time. At least I believe it to be that. Please let me know if I am correct Confused

Preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=...;list=RD_K3Ry2K4yNE#t=67
D.A.Banks
Offline Z-nerd  
#16 Posted : 09 February 2017 19:46:49(UTC)
Z-nerd

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: DaveB Go to Quoted Post
For those of you who have watched the series "The heavy water war" on Netflix, you will notice Marklin #3029 featured a few time. At least I believe it to be that. Please let me know if I am correct Confused

Preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=...;list=RD_K3Ry2K4yNE#t=67

I didnt see a loco in that clip, anyway it's a great ww2 series, one of few that takes place in Scandinavia.

UserPostedImage
This is my Märklin 3029. It's a quite worn and well used loco.

Red valve heads means it's made between the years 1962-70 I presume ?

UserPostedImage
The cover has a crack in the rear end.

UserPostedImage
The loco without the cover.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
This german loco is considered to be somewhat swedish looking and it's a popular remodeling object for enthusiats.
Offline Dave Banks  
#17 Posted : 09 February 2017 23:41:56(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
It wasn't in the sample clip but for those who have watched the series it is the part where the main character is off for his war stint in Britain & his son gives him this loco for repair. You also see this loco in the final clip of the series when he is about to return to Norway & is holding the loco in his hand & then puts it in his left Brest pocket of his uniform. Yes it was an interesting WW2 movie & I enjoyed the series.Smile
D.A.Banks