Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline cmobrienjr  
#1 Posted : 31 January 2017 20:49:35(UTC)
cmobrienjr

United States   
I read in an article that one way to cut down on the complexity of wiring for an analog layout was to do a loop under the layout for the ground wire and then tie it back to ground. My question is has anyone done it and secondly do you use exposed wire (wire not with a plastic cover) and then connect it together & then run wire to the transformers?

Charles OBrien
Offline dominator  
#2 Posted : 01 February 2017 00:34:56(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
I have used household single insulated wire for my power supply and earthing. I would not use uninsulated wire. This hopefully will help prevent stuffups/accidents. I pared the wire back, soldered connection points and used chocolate block connectors as necessary.
Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dominator
Offline petestra  
#3 Posted : 01 February 2017 00:37:53(UTC)
petestra

United States   
quote=cmobrienjr;538980]I read in an article that one way to cut down on the complexity of wiring for an analog layout was to do a loop under the layout for the ground wire and then tie it back to ground. My question is has anyone done it and secondly do you use exposed wire (wire not with a plastic cover) and then connect it together & then run wire to the transformers?

Charles OBrien

Hi Charles. I've wired up many, many Märklin layouts since I began with M back in '64 at 11 years old. You are asking for trouble, I think, if you use exposed

wires as you're just asking for a short. My current layout was analog only until about 4 years ago when I finally switched to digital. I run both the red, brown

and yellow wires about every 1 meter (1x yard) or so to a distribution strip and then continue same all around the layout until they get back to power pack

area. Just my opinion. Cheers, Peter Cool
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by petestra
Offline cmobrienjr  
#4 Posted : 01 February 2017 01:47:09(UTC)
cmobrienjr

United States   
Thanks for your response. As mentioned all my engines are digital. I would switch to all digital but the expense would seem to be too much.
Let me see if I understand what you said. From each turnout, signal, or accessory ( turntable, etc) you run it to distribution strip( I use the 7109 strip) for each of the red,brown, & yellow wires and then run a wire for each color wire to the power pack. Where do the 7272 Control boxes come in as well as the 7210 switch panels?
Hope I haven't gotten you too confused.
Thanks
Offline dominator  
#5 Posted : 01 February 2017 03:44:50(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
I ran a yellow power wire around the track which supplied power to the points then I ran separate pairs of wires back to the control box for switching. I f you plan it carefully you will end up with neat wiring. If you dont plan, you might end up wit a birds nest like mine. Look at Akes wiring. I will see if I can add a link. https://www.marklin-user...y-new-Marklin-H0-layout. See also common earth wire post https://www.marklin-user...t37422-Common-Earth-Wire
Dereck

ps, my opinion only. I use an MS2, but all my points are still analogue because it would blow my mind apart to digitise the points erts as well as my budget. I run M track as well. I do run analogue locos as well on separate tracks but you have to be careful not to mistakenly cross locos over. You should be ok running all locos on digital, but dont get the analogue touching the didgital system electrically.
There is plenty of advise on this forum. browse through it all.

BTW I have identified all my points by numbers or letters, have written the identity underneath the layout each point and I have a diagram on the wall showing where all those points are so it is easier to switch the correct point.
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dominator
Offline cmobrienjr  
#6 Posted : 01 February 2017 17:27:17(UTC)
cmobrienjr

United States   
Thanks. C OBrien
Offline Br502362  
#7 Posted : 01 February 2017 18:22:16(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Hi,

I believe that Dereck (Dominator) tried to link this photo:

UserPostedImage

Cheers

Åke
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Br502362
Offline petestra  
#8 Posted : 01 February 2017 19:09:17(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Originally Posted by: cmobrienjr Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for your response. As mentioned all my engines are digital. I would switch to all digital but the expense would seem to be too much.
Let me see if I understand what you said. From each turnout, signal, or accessory ( turntable, etc) you run it to distribution strip( I use the 7109 strip) for each of the red,brown, & yellow wires and then run a wire for each color wire to the power pack. Where do the 7272 Control boxes come in as well as the 7210 switch panels?
Hope I haven't gotten you too confused.
Thanks

Hi, Control box brown cable also go to brown 7109/7209 strips or direct to Trafos. It's neater to use the strips so you don't have a lot of wires bundled

up around one Trafo connector. Same for yellows and reds. Cheers, Peter. Cool

PS - remember not to put too many points/signals on one Trafo. I don't know how big your layout is?
Offline ac jacko  
#9 Posted : 24 June 2019 11:51:28(UTC)
ac jacko

Originally Posted by: petestra Go to Quoted Post
quote=cmobrienjr;538980]I read in an article that one way to cut down on the complexity of wiring for an analog layout was to do a loop under the layout for the ground wire and then tie it back to ground. My question is has anyone done it and secondly do you use exposed wire (wire not with a plastic cover) and then connect it together & then run wire to the transformers?

Charles OBrien

Hi Charles. I've wired up many, many Märklin layouts since I began with M back in '64 at 11 years old. You are asking for trouble, I think, if you use exposed

wires as you're just asking for a short. My current layout was analog only until about 4 years ago when I finally switched to digital. I run both the red, brown

and yellow wires about every 1 meter (1x yard) or so to a distribution strip and then continue same all around the layout until they get back to power pack

area. Just my opinion. Cheers, Peter Cool

Peter so with my digital locos and ECOS system running the trains , I want to use old manual control the turn out and signals so my father/daughter can be involved using the old blue transformers and the 7210 boxes so you are saying this can be done just ensure isolated ?