Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline baggio  
#51 Posted : 31 May 2016 16:49:37(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: michelvr Go to Quoted Post
Baggio is using the MS2 in DCC for 2 rail.

No, Michel, I am using the MS2 for Marklin locos. I no longer use digital on 2 rail (I did for a short while).
Offline michelvr  
#52 Posted : 31 May 2016 17:36:07(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: michelvr Go to Quoted Post
Baggio is using the MS2 in DCC for 2 rail.

No, Michel, I am using the MS2 for Marklin locos. I no longer use digital on 2 rail (I did for a short while).

Roger that.
Offline Minok  
#53 Posted : 25 January 2017 00:03:06(UTC)
Minok

United States   
I want to rehash this with a beginner and probably answered else-where question, its an idiot-check on myself to make sure I didn't forget some basic concept.

I'm running a 3-rail Märklin mfx small c-track layout for trains using a Mobile Station 2.

I want to add a separate simple line/track, not connected to the 3-rail c-track, as a 2 rail DCC line to run a street trolley on back and forth that has been fitted with a DCC controller from, say Roco. That separate line is all 2 conductor only.

Plugging the brown and red wires from the Märklin trackbox that is driven by the Mobile Station 2, into the 2-rail line (red one side, brown the other side, it maters not which) I should be capable of configuring and running that DCC loco on the 2-rail segment.

Then, if I put the track box back onto the 3-rail c-track for my Märklin trains, and run wires from that 3-rail c-track to connect the red and brown feeds to the two rails of my DCC leg (which is only connected to the 3-rail track by these two wires), there should be no issues controlling the mfx locos running circles on the c-track 3-conductor, or the 2-conductor DCC track segment correct? (So long as I don't put the 2-conductor DCC street tram onto the 3-conductor c-track (nothing would happen but tram gets no signals getting the same contact on both sides), or a 3-conductor loco or car on the 2-conductor DCC track segment (short circuit would ensue).

Or did I miss something critical?
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline H0  
#54 Posted : 25 January 2017 00:09:04(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
Or did I miss something critical?
Sounds plausible and correct to me.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline baggio  
#55 Posted : 25 January 2017 00:24:50(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
I want to add a separate simple line/track, not connected to the 3-rail c-track, as a 2 rail DCC line to run a street trolley on back and forth that has been fitted with a DCC controller from, say Roco.That separate line is all 2 conductor only.

Do you need the DC line to be digital (DCC)? If not, buy a $40.00 transformer and you have a separate line you can run all the time.

Even if you need a DCC controller, you can buy a used one for not much more than $50.00.

It seems like a lot of work otherwise every time you need to switch.

I do have a question for HO, expecting the answer to be "no".:

Is it possible to connect BOTH the Marklin and the DCC line via the MS2 at the same time and run only one at a time?

Thanks.
Offline H0  
#56 Posted : 25 January 2017 00:35:57(UTC)
H0

Is it possible to connect BOTH the Marklin and the DCC line via the MS2 at the same time and run only one at a time?
It's digital. You decide which trains will run and which trains will stop.
You can start either one of them, you can have them running both - and then you can stop either one of them and have the other continue to run.

It makes no difference whether you connect two three-rail ovals or two two-rail ovals or a mix of two-rail and three-rail. It is digital.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline baggio  
#57 Posted : 25 January 2017 00:39:47(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
EUREKA! ThumpUp

This is the million dollar answer of the day. BigGrin

Thank you, HO.
Offline Minok  
#58 Posted : 25 January 2017 02:22:52(UTC)
Minok

United States   
I want to add a separate simple line/track, not connected to the 3-rail c-track, as a 2 rail DCC line to run a street trolley on back and forth that has been fitted with a DCC controller from, say Roco.That separate line is all 2 conductor only.

Do you need the DC line to be digital (DCC)? If not, buy a $40.00 transformer and you have a separate line you can run all the time.

Even if you need a DCC controller, you can buy a used one for not much more than $50.00.

It seems like a lot of work otherwise every time you need to switch.

The idea is that the 3-rail mfx track system runs the trains that do their train things.
An the seperate 2-rail DCC system has the street trolley that runs about town and stops at its designated stops in an automated way, gets to end of line, reverses back the other way, repeat. A transformer would let me manually run the DC version yes, but I'd like to have the trolley run automated by PC and controlled in the same ways I can control the normal trains.
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline baggio  
#59 Posted : 25 January 2017 03:46:32(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
The idea is that the 3-rail mfx track system runs the trains that do their train things.
An the seperate 2-rail DCC system has the street trolley that runs about town and stops at its designated stops in an automated way, gets to end of line, reverses back the other way, repeat.A transformer would let me manually run the DC version yes, but I'd like to have the trolley run automated by PC and controlled in the same ways I can control the normal trains.

That sounds like a nifty idea. ThumpUp

When you actually carry it out, make a video and show us, please. BigGrin
Offline Minok  
#60 Posted : 25 January 2017 05:38:38(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Will do. At this point I've only painted the room and hung lighting. That and purchase locos and rolling stock and have grand plans in my mind. Next step is replace the old carpet and then start building. I'm sure at the point I generate a layout on paper and trust my geometries in real space some of my grand ideas will get yanked back to reality. But I'll definitely be documenting what gets built.
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline ixldoc  
#61 Posted : 19 February 2017 23:53:01(UTC)
ixldoc

Australia   
Thomas, (Minok), what you plan to do works very well.

The following photo shows the exact setup you are planning with mainline 3 rail C track running and a 2 rail DCC tram line running. Both controlled by my colour Ecos and the tram running back and forth as a shuttle. The small tractor in the photo is a Rivarossi Breuer tractor into which I fitted a decoder.The lights are therefore controllable. The toilet block contains an IR detector as does a similar block at the other end of the tram line. ( I think you have seen this on a video I posted).

2 rail DCC 2.jpg

What is also interesting is the next photo which is under the layout board. A few years ago I realised that if a decoder was mounted under the base board and the motor output taken to a 2 rail track, then any 2 rail DC analogue loco could be run by the Ecos. Simply address the decoder under the board and you have a DC output to the track. This allows a dedicated 2 rail track ( loop or test length) for a 2 rail analogue loco. The lights will work just as a normal analogue loco but no functions are available. The switch is to allow running either way, DCC or DC on the tramline.

2 rail DCC.jpg

I have another Breuer tractor which I kept as 2 rail analogue and it runs the tram if required. (Home made traction device.)

Traction Mech 1A.jpg
Traction Mech 1D.jpg

Now to confuse the issue. The first photo shows the tractor with decoder fitted, therefore running DCC. I realised that in DCC mode I could give the under table decoder the same address and it would respond to the same instruction from Ecos. This being the case I used the under table decoder (ESU) f0 light output to control the signal lights at each end station. Hence when the shuttle function works and reverses the direction for the tractor, the light changes to green when the tractor lights change, and after the preset delay the tractor moves off. This setup also works when running a DC analogue train because the under table decoder fo function still controls the signal lights, and will change when I manually reverse the tractor. ( too early in the morning to be doing this from memory!)

Regards,
Howard.

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by ixldoc