Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#1 Posted : 06 December 2016 12:07:43(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Hi all
recently I commented on my train room being a totally enclosed "concrete block" garage, lovely and cool in summer, but darn cold in winter months, and living close to the sea the c track studs rust easily.....to my horror I pulled out my beloved 24cm passenger coaches the other day (packed away under a shelf in the train room) only to find some of the roofs totally rusted over;Crying some work awaits me in the summer months, a smooth sanding down, and then looking for "close to the original silver" paint to restore these beauties......no wonder the studs are rusting so easily in winterScared ....
BTW I simply run a tank loco, coupled with the track cleaning wagon, around the track at a fast pace for 3 to 4 laps - this takes care of the "rusty" studs quite quickly: the hassle is the shunting yards...bit of a pain trying to run the loco "fast" forward and back....and not always easy to get your hands "in there" without knocking over everythingThumbDown
Happy Marklining...
Joe
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Joseph Meiring
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 06 December 2016 12:15:01(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I also have a problem with rust on coach roofs. I have used Humbrol Silver (11) on some and Humbrol Gunmetal (53) on others. I prefer the gunmetal as it's not as bright. It's possible to get a decent finish with a good quality brush but if you can spray it that would be even better.

Alternatively there is a huge range of car aerosol paints available in the right range of silvery colours. I used one on a couple of my coaches to good effect.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#3 Posted : 06 December 2016 12:39:29(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Thanx Ray! I will look for a car aerosol silver, as you say, not too bright and shiny!! (I tried years ago using a brush....awful!!) Looking closely at the coaches I can see rust also on the couplers....not too bad, but its there....
Joe
Offline Angus  
#4 Posted : 06 December 2016 13:51:40(UTC)
Angus

South Africa   
Hi Joe

You might also want to have a look at Humbrol 191, I haven't used in on trains but it gives a really nice finish on my planes.

Remember your choice of undercoat, if you do one, will also make the world of difference to your finish.

Angus
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Angus
Offline waltklatt  
#5 Posted : 06 December 2016 15:17:39(UTC)
waltklatt

United States   
Joe,
Do you have some kind of a dehumidifier in your basement?
Basements do tend to have moisture present year round as the moisture seeps through the walls via capillary action.
Do your basement walls have some kind of a moisture barrier on the outside from 8" above the ground to below the footing?
Sump pit with a trench drain?
Walter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by waltklatt
Offline dominator  
#6 Posted : 06 December 2016 22:03:08(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Some years ago I repainted the roof on my res800. It ended up too shiny so I grabbed a suede brush and gently rubbed it over the roof. This matted of the paint just like the original. Our climate here is sub tropical and quite humid on occasions so I have the same problem with rust. I store most of my stuff in an oak manrobe and put silica gel inside it where I can and I run a dehumidifier in the train room as often I can remember when it has rained. All seems to help. The tin coaches etc that live on my layout need dealing with though Bugger.
Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dominator
Offline Minok  
#7 Posted : 06 December 2016 23:30:13(UTC)
Minok

United States   
An option possibility is store your rolling stock and locos in sealed cases (eg Pelican) at the end of the season, drop in a re-chargable desiccant module, and clamp it shut. Treat the cars and locos like a fine firearm for storage; clean and oil and then put away and control the humidity.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline dominator  
#8 Posted : 07 December 2016 06:32:58(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Hi Minok. We dont have a season here. Anytime is the right time to go down and have a play. Often for only 5 mins.

Dereck

Shit, I cant imagine spraying my coaches with wd 40, but maybe thats the answer. Hmmmm

Is there something better that will do what you are suggesting.Confused Blushing
Offline Minok  
#9 Posted : 07 December 2016 23:29:57(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: dominator Go to Quoted Post
Hi Minok. We dont have a season here. Anytime is the right time to go down and have a play. Often for only 5 mins.

Dereck

Shit, I cant imagine spraying my coaches with wd 40, but maybe thats the answer. Hmmmm

Is there something better that will do what you are suggesting.Confused Blushing

Well, I guess get a cotton rag, apply some gun-oil to that rag, and rub the roofs with the gun-oil ;)
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Tom Jessop  
#10 Posted : 08 December 2016 00:28:38(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

A guy I know use to use a mild Cut & Polish car polish on his carriages . Turned out Ok . I have never worried about it especially on older items but this thread stirs me up to go have a look at mine . Now to find out which boxes I need to look in or did I place them in one of the plan drawer units I have . Oh well never know what I may find down in the train room .

Cheers Tom in Oz .
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline ShannonN  
#11 Posted : 08 December 2016 03:08:49(UTC)
ShannonN

Australia   
Surely for those that pay big money for higher quality stock, you protect it! Spending hundreds on dehumidifiers , heating systems and such may not be possible, a Light oil over areas likely to rust provides some protection, however be careful what oil you use as some oils may lift or damage paint CRC, WD-40 etc may be harmful to the paint causing cracks or flaking, try all your oils on a spare carriage to test for paint damage over a week.

While many would suggest a cooking oil like Olive, canola etc remember these have natural acids and may damage.
Wahl oil for barbers clippers may be the better option. Please anyone who experiments with oiling let us know whats safe
Shanny
Offline Johnvr  
#12 Posted : 08 December 2016 06:43:09(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Joe,

I have in the past sprayed the coach roofs, and they seem to look quite reasonable.
Let's chat !

Regards,BigGrin
John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Johnvr
Offline Robert Davies  
#13 Posted : 08 December 2016 22:48:23(UTC)
Robert Davies

United Kingdom   
I have recently repainted the roofs of a number of tinplate passenger carriages using matt car aerosol paint and the end result looks quite OK to me. I used both silver and cream to match the originals - 2 coats of primer and 3 top coats - and in a couple of cases I dusted the final top coat with a very fine spray of black, holding the can at distance so as not to put too much on.

I am very pleased with the end result and I can post some pictures at some time but the vehicles are packed away at the moment so not easily accessible for photography.
Robert
Era III - IV
2 x Central Station 2 v.2 (60214 + 60215)
Hardware versions 3.6 / 4.33
Software version 4.2.1 (0)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Robert Davies
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#14 Posted : 09 December 2016 16:06:47(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
tx everyone for all the replies - i will need to install a dehumidifier next winter i reckon.....but this weekend i will search for some "not too shiny" silver aerosol paint!
Joe
Offline H0  
#15 Posted : 09 December 2016 16:14:17(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: Joe Meiring Go to Quoted Post
i will need to install a dehumidifier next winter i reckon
My dehumidifier is busy in the summer (when it's warmer outside than inside) and does nothing in the winter (when it is warmer inside than outside).

It could be a good idea to get the dehumidifier or at least a hygrometer for the next summer.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline hennabm  
#16 Posted : 09 December 2016 17:08:54(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   

This is what I did with various tin plate roofs I have had go rusty/dull;

Well, the first job was to take the roof back to bare metal. This was with approx 320 grade paper.Blink

From there a coat of auto etch primer was put down.BigGrin
When dry this was flatted using 1500 and then 2000 grade. This was done dry with using only light pressure.Mellow

The top coat is again another auto product, from Frosts.co.uk and is called clear zinc coating. This I find to be a very close match to the original, having compared it with my boxed 4015.Smile

The doors were taken back to metal again but only done with zinc as clearance is tight.Wink

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline Shamu  
#17 Posted : 10 December 2016 09:18:43(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Originally Posted by: dominator Go to Quoted Post

Dereck

I'm loathed to suggest it but....... so long as you have a bad sense of smell that is.......... "Fish Oil"
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
Offline dominator  
#18 Posted : 10 December 2016 09:27:09(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
fisholine YGTBFJ.

Hows your feet. looked pretty blown up in that picture. stop spending money on Marklin, AND SAVE UP FOR A BETTER QUACK.
All the best.
Dereck
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dominator
Offline Shamu  
#19 Posted : 10 December 2016 09:33:54(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
If only but asides from being 400m down the road is also supposed to be the best short of driving 40km to Rocky........ did I mention I hate doctors Cursing
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
Offline dominator  
#20 Posted : 10 December 2016 09:38:31(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
No, but I guess you must do if they inflict you with all that. Are you getting better though.
Offline Shamu  
#21 Posted : 10 December 2016 09:56:41(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Sorry Dereck,

I should have said. After 2 days of only taking half the does of the Lyrica at night the swelling is minimal tonight. If its no better tomorrow night I'm giving it the flick until I see the quack again. Not nodding off for hours anymore either but tired in the mornings.

As I say to the kids any day I wake up is a good one. LOL

Disclaimer:

This does not mean I can not bitch about it though !
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Shamu