Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline BrandonVA  
#1 Posted : 07 December 2016 22:13:24(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Hello all,

Recently I discovered a somewhat local historic railroad, the Potomac Eagle, and subsequently decided to go out and take a ride. The railroad is about 2 hours away from my home, requiring a drive through the beautiful mountains of West Virginia to reach it.

The "Potomac Eagle" runs exclusively as a tourist railroad, mostly on weekends. The trains depart from Romney, WVA. The "station" is housed out of some stationary cars and an old steel C&O caboose on a siding in Romney. The offer two trips, a 35 mile, 3 hour trip and a 8 hour trip with a stopover in Petersburg, WVA. As we went with our family, I choose the former "short" trip, which was just about the right amount of time.

The Potomac Eagle operates on the SBVR (South Branch Valley Railroad), a local spur line through the mountains on West Virginia. The name comes in part from the South Branch of the Potomac River, which runs near or parallel to the tracks in most places. Today, the SBVR is run by the state of West Virginia, and on weekdays operates local revenue freight service to support surrounding industry. In the past, this line was part of the B&O system, connecting to the B&O mainline in Cumberland, MD (abandoned by B&O the mid 1970s, and subsequently purchased by the state). Prior to B&O ownership the line was constructed and operated by various small rail companies, going back to 1909. The Potomac Eagle is purely a tourist railroad, although it may very well by the only passenger service of any kind (tourist or otherwise) available today in the state of West Virginia.

In terms of equipment, the Potomac Eagle owns a EMD F7A unit, #722, originally built in 1952. The unit came from the Bessemer & Lake Erie railroad, where it hauled ore up until its retirement. 722 has been repainted in classic 1950s/1960s B&O livery, although 722 is not an original B&O F unit number.

In addition to the F7A, the SBVR loans out various equipment for use on the Potomac Eagle, most frequently one of two classic GP9 units:
-GP9 6604, originally from Central New Jersey and later B&O. Also painted in classic B&O livery, and originally built in 1955.
-GP9 6240, originally from C&O, and then on through the B&O merger. Painted in Chessie System Livery, built 1957.

The Potomac Eagle rolling stock consists largely of old C&O and Canadian national commuter cars. In addition, a freight gondola has been converted into an open seating car. Our Potomac Eagle was operated in push-pull service, with the F7A on one end, and GP9 6604 on the other end.

In addition to being named for the river, there is a high likelihood of seeing Bald Eagles from the train, hence the "Eagle". Indeed, on our trip we saw a couple!

Just in case there is a desire for more information, check out their website here:
http://www.potomaceagle.info/
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline BrandonVA  
#2 Posted : 07 December 2016 22:17:42(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
And now, on to the pictures:

B&O 722 parked on a turnout (!) at the Romney siding, idling and waiting for the train to depart. Despite never having acutally been a B&O unit, this F7A features the same single headlight configuration popular with the Baltimore and Ohio.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Note the classic F7 grilles hand thrown turnout:
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline BrandonVA  
#3 Posted : 07 December 2016 22:21:04(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
The Potomac Eagle offers onboard dining. In the standard seating you can bring a picnic, so we did this instead of ordering a meal onboard. Here is one of the dining cars:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline BrandonVA  
#4 Posted : 07 December 2016 22:24:52(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
The SBVR runs across farmland near the Potomac, and as it continues South heads into a Canyon. The track crosses the river several times. There is a section of canyon for 6-8 miles where there are no other roads, buildings, etc save for the train track itself. It is beautiful country, and visiting in the early fall was perfect timing.

From one of the bridges:

UserPostedImage

Not yet to the most remote part of the line, you can also see the GP9 on point, followed by the converted gondola.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Offline BrandonVA  
#5 Posted : 07 December 2016 22:27:43(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
A better look at the 1st generation EMD hood unit, along with the Gondola. The Gondola and open air cars were much more crowded than the rest of the train. The ride inside of a coach was comfortable.

UserPostedImage

Autumn beginning in the mountains of WVA:
UserPostedImage

Looking down the train toward the other end, the F7A just around the corner.
UserPostedImage
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline BrandonVA  
#6 Posted : 07 December 2016 22:30:42(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
The trip started in the early afternoon. As the train returned to Romney, the sun was setting and beginning to give some wonderful magic hour light.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline BrandonVA  
#7 Posted : 07 December 2016 22:33:03(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
C&O steel side caboose on a siding near Romney. The Potomac Eagle has a small open air maintenance facility just a bit to the south of this site, unfortunately I did not get a photo.

UserPostedImage

Back at the Romney siding:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline BrandonVA  
#8 Posted : 07 December 2016 22:35:37(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
The SBVR still has plate joined hand spike track. I suspect this was originally laid by the B&O.

UserPostedImage

A few more detail shots of F7A #722:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Offline BrandonVA  
#9 Posted : 07 December 2016 22:37:41(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Brakes!
UserPostedImage

B&O!
UserPostedImage
Offline BrandonVA  
#10 Posted : 07 December 2016 22:39:47(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
I hope you've enjoyed the pictures. If you're in the area (Washington DC is the closest major city, probably about 3 hours from the Potomac Eagle), I recommend making the trip! We had a great time.

UserPostedImage

-Brandon
Offline kiwiAlan  
#11 Posted : 07 December 2016 23:25:37(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Cowcatcher on the F7 looks like it has had an incident or two ...

and maybe you should have made sure the ditch light was looking straight ahead BigGrin BigGrin

Great photos and story. ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

One day ... Tongue

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline BrandonVA  
#12 Posted : 07 December 2016 23:50:18(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Cowcatcher on the F7 looks like it has had an incident or two ...

One thing I neglected to mention: the train had to stop at one point because cows were on the track... BigGrin

-Brandon
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline foumaro  
#13 Posted : 08 December 2016 04:49:24(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Amazing nature,amazing photos,amazing trip.I think i am jealous.Thank you the photos Brandon.ThumpUp LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline kimballthurlow  
#14 Posted : 08 December 2016 09:12:55(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: BrandonVA Go to Quoted Post
Hello all,

Recently I discovered a somewhat local historic railroad, the Potomac Eagle, and subsequently decided to go out and take a ride. The railroad is about 2 hours away from my home, requiring a drive through the beautiful mountains of West Virginia to reach it. ......
http://www.potomaceagle.info/

Hi Brandon,
Thanks for that interesting look at the goings on in the other part of the world.

I am surprised at the dearth of operating railroads in many countries.
The scenery looks very familiar, for many years I modelled the Norfolk and Western, and studied the area with great interest.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow