Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Scones  
#1 Posted : 03 December 2016 21:11:28(UTC)
Scones

Sweden   
A quick question about the M83 decoder. I´ve got a couple of them and just getting started with the automation. But do I have to connect them together with the side plug contact or can I spred them out?

The manual says:
Several m83/m84 decoders can be plugged together
with the side plug contacts. No extension or connecting
wire may be used for this. All of the decoders plugged
together are supplied with power from the power
connections (power supply or track connections) made
to the first turnout decoder. No other track connections
may be made

As I understand it, they can be spread out, but then each M83 needs track connection. But if I connect them as one "unit" I just need one track connection.

Thanks!

(More dumb questions to come later on..) Confused
Offline clapcott  
#2 Posted : 03 December 2016 23:18:53(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Scones Go to Quoted Post
As I understand it, they can be spread out, but then each M83 needs track connection. But if I connect them as one "unit" I just need one track connection.

This is correct

Quote:

The manual says:
..... No extension or connecting wire may be used for this. ...

I comment that this is rather naive, but is probably just butt covering.

Personally, I would have absolutely no problems with extending the 9 pin D connection with short ribbon cable - e.g if there was a space/access restriction under the layout
It does have to be understood that external power (if used) cannot be supplied to modules other than the first one, and this is what is being enforced when you plug multiple modules together - i.e. you cannot physically access the power socket of the additional modules.

I did wonder why the did not do something similar for the Brown/Red track feed - i.e. cover the connections of any additional unit.

While it is desirable that an external power feed is used , it is rather unrealistic to expect a power supply (66360) be bought for every unit, therefore daisy chaining a couple of the m83s that are in "close proximity" makes a lot of sense me. (just be aware of the total power requirements).
Peter
Offline Rwill  
#3 Posted : 03 December 2016 23:58:14(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Strangely enough I have just encountered the same issue. I have documented elsewhere that my layout is a K Track original layout with a section of extension based on C track. I was operating the k track section with a circuit comprising a 6021 /two 6040's and six 6083 decoders not connected at all to the track, the first 6083 wired red and brown from the 6021 and the remainder daisy chained from the last red and brown. An MS2 controls the whole track C & K and on the C track section two decoders a Viessmann 5211 and a 60831 are connected to the track and then to five turnouts and three uncouplers. I was not happy with the turnout performance on the MS2 so decided to loop all the decoders onto the 6021 circuit and disconnect the track power. I then saw in the manual the paragraph in the OP which appears to omit the daisy chain idea in favour of track power or separate power supplies. This idea did not fill me with joy so I tried the daisy chain from the existing 6083's through the Viessman and terminating in the 60831 switched on crossed my fingers and awaited the smell of burning but no everything works perfectly and my theory that a 6021 is much better at thunking turnout motors is proved correct.
Offline Scones  
#4 Posted : 04 December 2016 16:27:19(UTC)
Scones

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Scones Go to Quoted Post

This is correct

Quote:

The manual says:
..... No extension or connecting wire may be used for this. ...

I comment that this is rather naive, but is probably just butt covering.

Personally, I would have absolutely no problems with extending the 9 pin D connection with short ribbon cable - e.g if there was a space/access restriction under the layout
It does have to be understood that external power (if used) cannot be supplied to modules other than the first one, and this is what is being enforced when you plug multiple modules together - i.e. you cannot physically access the power socket of the additional modules.

I did wonder why the did not do something similar for the Brown/Red track feed - i.e. cover the connections of any additional unit.

While it is desirable that an external power feed is used , it is rather unrealistic to expect a power supply (66360) be bought for every unit, therefore daisy chaining a couple of the m83s that are in "close proximity" makes a lot of sense me. (just be aware of the total power requirements).

Thanks! :)