Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline MaerklinLife  
#1 Posted : 30 November 2016 17:32:40(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Hi all

A friend of mine has a Märklin BR 152 of the new kind with center motor and all four axles powered, blah, blah and so on.

Now in the instructions it says that the bearings need oil every 40 running hours or so. Now, to my knowledge the locomotive uses these bearings as the common ground. Won't oiling them - even slightly - disrupt the power flow? I mean, if oil gets into the bearings - even if I use the recommended Märklin "Special" Oil (7149) it cannot be good for conductivity?

Does anyone have any experience?

At least the class 218 is constructed in the same way, so the question is valid for that loco as well...
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 30 November 2016 19:55:19(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I guess if you follow the manufacturers instructions you can't be held at fault if it breaks.
Offline Webmaster  
#3 Posted : 30 November 2016 20:11:23(UTC)
Webmaster

I nowadays only use one lubricant for mechanical stuff... Even on squeaky door hinges at home... BigGrin

Faller Teflon lubricant , since it's safe also for plastic gears in locos and I think it's the perfect one-oil-for-all purposes. Works very well for me.
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline MaerklinLife  
#4 Posted : 01 December 2016 07:00:31(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
I guess if you follow the manufacturers instructions you can't be held at fault if it breaks.

True, but it is still insanely annoying to clean a locomotive from oil. I was just wondering what other people do. I am pretty sure that oil in those places would prevent a good power pick up.
Offline dickinsonj  
#5 Posted : 02 December 2016 01:42:30(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: MaerklinLife Go to Quoted Post

True, but it is still insanely annoying to clean a locomotive from oil. I was just wondering what other people do. I am pretty sure that oil in those places would prevent a good power pick up.

I oil mine on the schedule that Märklin recommends and I have had no issues of any type. I always clean my locos thoroughly before oiling though, so they are kept very clean. That kind of maintenance is part of the fun of model railroading for me and gives me a chance to really get to know my locos. BigGrin

My cardan shaft drive locos all run perfectly and I have never had a problem with either power conductivity or performance. IMO it was about time for Märklin to move past the DCM motors and drivetrains. They were fine in their day and I bought a beautiful VT 11.5 set with that motor just last year. But I really like the new drivetrains, and they seem to be a nice step into the future for Märklin.

Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 02 December 2016 08:39:43(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Most of us have been guilty of over-oiling our locos at some point. It's the combination of oil and carbon dust from the brushes that forms that awful goo which gets everywhere.

Jim has the right idea; keep the locos as clean as possible inside and oil the bearings very lightly according to Marklin's instructions.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline dickinsonj  
#7 Posted : 02 December 2016 13:40:56(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

Jim has the right idea; keep the locos as clean as possible inside and oil the bearings very lightly according to Marklin's instructions.

Ray has the right advice about the other main lubrication issue with locos - they need to be oiled very lightly. I have a clock oiling kit that has an extremely fine oil application tool and that is what I use to oil my locos. Our locos are much like mechanical clocks in that over oiling them is a much bigger problem than under oiling in most cases.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline nitramretep  
#8 Posted : 02 December 2016 18:21:09(UTC)
nitramretep

United States   
That Faller Teflon Oil is great, I have used it for the last few months and found it helps to reduce the gunk build-up. I think it helps in keeping the track free of the black streak stuff...my constant enemy!
Offline sgtb  
#9 Posted : 02 December 2016 19:02:27(UTC)
sgtb

United States   
I use synthetic oil myself and think its great.
On the original question oil does conduct but has a resistance on flow. but what were using it for does affect anything.

BobBigGrin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sgtb