Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dennisb  
#1 Posted : 26 November 2016 11:12:29(UTC)
dennisb

Sweden   
Hi guys!

I got a second hand 7186 turn table from my father. He bought it to be used on his layout but realized that he didn't have the size. It seems to be in really good condition and as I'm rebuilding my layout I thought it might be worth incorporating it.

My new layout is based on c-track in the hidden areas and k-track in the visible parts. I've been searching the forum and I understand that it's fully possible to use the 7186 on a digital layout. I also understand that it's quite noisy but that converting it with a 60903 makes that part better.

What I don't fully get is what is the best way to incorporate it to a automatic digital layout. I want to use Traincontroller and/or iTrain to control my layout (I have Traincontroller silved but the usability of that application is questionable) automatic. So I will have block sensors all over the layout and of course all turnouts will be controlled digitally by the application. But how does that work, if it does, with the 7186? If I get it right I have to use the 2291 K to C track rails. How would that work with sensing where the loco is? Or should I just skip the last bit?

Should I use M track or K track in the shed? The 2291 first and the K track with sensors?

Is it possible for having the turn table itself detecting if it is a loco on it or not?

Or is it not at all worth doing the work to try to fit the 7186 into my layout? Go for the 7286 instead?

Any help is appreciated!
//Dennis
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 26 November 2016 11:55:54(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: dennisb Go to Quoted Post

Or is it not at all worth doing the work to try to fit the 7186 into my layout? Go for the 7286 instead?

Any help is appreciated!
//Dennis

Well, my understanding is that the 7286 is just a 7186 with the digital decoder et al supplied as one kit, so there would be no advantage over just getting the additional decoder parts to convert the 7186 - but I don't have one so stand to be corrected here.

As to the tracks into the engine sheds, I would use the track native to the turn table so you don't need converter tracks on each radial into the shed. That way you need a minimum of converter tracks between track types.

Offline Herrfleck  
#3 Posted : 26 November 2016 13:23:58(UTC)
Herrfleck

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Any help is appreciated!
//Dennis

Well, my understanding is that the 7286 is just a 7186 with the digital decoder et al supplied as one kit, so there would be no advantage over just getting the additional decoder parts to convert the 7186 - but I don't have one so stand to be corrected here.

As to the tracks into the engine sheds, I would use the track native to the turn table so you don't need converter tracks on each radial into the shed. That way you need a minimum of converter tracks between track types.

Hello!

Märklin 7186 is the old one in metal to use with M rails.

And 7286 is the one to use with K rails.

To 7186 you can use 2291 but they are quite expensive.

I have the 7286 and it is much more silent. And you can connect the tracks anywere you want.
In mine opinion 7286 looks better too.

Regards
Bertil.
- since my lack in english I don't write so much here.. but learn by trying right? :) -

//Bertil
Offline franciscohg  
#4 Posted : 26 November 2016 13:30:48(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hello, i think that 7186 is good for a vintage layout or for nostalgia reasons, other than that 7286 is IMHO the way to go for all the reasons pointed out before
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline French_Fabrice  
#5 Posted : 26 November 2016 14:15:13(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hi Dennis,

If you want to incorporate a 7186 TT into automatic traffic, you need blocks with sensors.

As already stated, 7186 is full metal device, and I'm afraid sensors based on ground detection will fail (It's only speculation as I don't have a 7186).
The other way to do detection occupation, is to use current consumption detection (fits well with locos). Devices like Viessmann 5233, LDT RMGB8N, or Marklin S88 DC will provide such detection capabilities.

Insulating the central conductor is easy with M track; only a piece of paper is required.

On the other side, 7186 is an old device, has limited number of tracks, is very noisy... but may be more reliable ?!?

You can pick ideas in a thread I wrote a few years ago, about a 7286 TT and use of Rocrail.
See also long story starting at middle of the thread, about differences with recent 7286 TTs.
https://www.marklin-user...nd-Rocrail---quick-Howto

HTH
Cheers
Fabrice
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 26 November 2016 18:29:48(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Herrfleck Go to Quoted Post

Hello!

Märklin 7186 is the old one in metal to use with M rails.

And 7286 is the one to use with K rails.

Regards
Bertil.

Ah, I was wrong. Problem with being away on holiday, can't readily check things and the memory is getting worse ...

Offline Webmaster  
#7 Posted : 26 November 2016 18:37:44(UTC)
Webmaster

If you drive the turntable motor with DC, it will be much more silent...
I don't have the turntable but I presume there is a normal SFCM motor in it and then a 2-diode conversion for DC operation is simple.
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline dennisb  
#8 Posted : 27 November 2016 00:25:47(UTC)
dennisb

Sweden   
So basically I feel that I have to get the 7286 instead :) Thanks guys!
Offline DaleSchultz  
#9 Posted : 27 November 2016 17:43:44(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
So basically I feel that I have to get the 7286 instead :) Thanks guys!

In which case, consider this: http://cabin-layout.blog...zing-turntable-7286.html
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com