Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dennisb  
#1 Posted : 21 October 2016 14:43:19(UTC)
dennisb

Sweden   
Hi!

I will need to have some blocks where C and K track will be mixed. I know how to isolate one rail from the other on the K track but also on the C track. But how do I do it with the 24922 track? How do I do if I want to isolate one rail from the other with that track piece? Looking under the track it seems that I would need to cut one end just like the c-track and then there's also something at the middle of the track that seems to connect the both rails there as well. Should I cut that one too? Anything else?

Would appreciate any help!

Best regards,
Dennis
Offline dennisb  
#2 Posted : 26 November 2016 11:16:28(UTC)
dennisb

Sweden   
A bump on this one. Anyone tried this?

My two options I have in mind now are:
1. Just cut everything I find under the track to secure that the track is truly isolated and then solder cables from the C and K track sides to the 24922 track
2. Exclude the 24922 as part of the block and in practice create two blocks, one consisting of the K tracks and one of the C tracks and then join the cables so it looks like one big block.

I also emailed Märklin but it took them three weeks to answer and then the answer came back that they never tried to isolate the rails on a 24922.

D.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 26 November 2016 12:02:09(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I don't have any photos of what you need to cut on standard pieces of track, and am not familiar with how the 24922 is different to other C track pieces, so can't answer your problem directly.

But by comparing the 24922 with any other C track piece you should be able t identify very readily where you need to cut. The only pieces to cut are the strapping between the two rails and from memory these are the easiest pieces to get at, and a reasonable set of side cutters works well for this.

You don't need to do anything to the connections from the center studs to the track connections. There will be bridging straps between the center stud connections at each end but you shouldn't cut those.

Offline dennisb  
#4 Posted : 26 November 2016 13:04:09(UTC)
dennisb

Sweden   
Thanks for your answer Alan. This is how the 24922 looks on the other side:

24922 track piece

If you look at the upper track piece the right side is the c-track side. There I assume that it should be cut just like any normal c-track piece, no problems. The metal in the middle track also looks like it connects the both rails and should probably also be cut. But what about the left side? The black metal looks like it is only for the center studs so it shouldn't be cut. That's my assumptions at least. Would you agree?
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 26 November 2016 18:22:51(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: dennisb Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for your answer Alan. This is how the 24922 looks on the other side:

24922 track piece

If you look at the upper track piece the right side is the c-track side. There I assume that it should be cut just like any normal c-track piece, no problems. The metal in the middle track also looks like it connects the both rails and should probably also be cut. But what about the left side? The black metal looks like it is only for the center studs so it shouldn't be cut. That's my assumptions at least. Would you agree?

Yes, I think you have it right. The reason the black piece is done like that is because of the way the connections are made to the next piece of K track. I think you will find that looks very similar to the underneath of any k track piece except the 2005? flex track length.

The reason that the bit half way along exists is because that is where the code 100 K track rails meet the code 93 C track rails, so that is where the electrical contact is made to the K track rails.

Offline Minok  
#6 Posted : 28 March 2017 21:47:40(UTC)
Minok

United States   
As I'm looking at also using several C-K track transitions (not clear if I'll use the official Märklin part or build my own solution dependent on where the transition happens)...

So what was the resulting need to cut in order to ensure the two rails are electrically isolated on the transition?

Is it just the c-track end one has to clip the conductor between the rails (as one does typically on c-track)?

or

Is it also that rail changeover at the middle where one has to operate on the part (and if so what works well)?
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134