Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline xxup  
#1 Posted : 25 October 2016 10:16:31(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Our friend Legless from Victoria is coming up to Brisbane for some better weather.

He will be here on Saturday the 5th of November 2016.

We are meeting on the corner of Albert and Elizabeth Streets at the lower entrance to the Myer Centre.

The meeting time is 10am AEST (not Mexican time!)

Legless can only spare the morning as he has other wild things to do in the big smoke over the weekend, but there is a possibility for the rest of us of moving to another venue for lunch if the conversation is good.

Kimball and I will be standing on the corner wearing our Marklin caps. Nev, who does not own a Marklin cap, will be standing with us sporting a spiffy cane and a well waxed chrome dome.

Cost - coffee money. Cake is optional.

Everyone is welcome.

Edited by user 26 October 2016 11:36:45(UTC)  | Reason: typo.. sigh!

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 26 October 2016 11:47:04(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi all,
OK count me IN.
I am looking forward to it. 5th November, Myer Centre, Brisbane.

While here, could I suggest something to the webmaster/moderators.
Why not combine this heading "Events, forum member meets, exhibitions..." with the "Model railroad & related club area".
In my mind, that simplifies the site, and makes it easier to access similar topics.
You can still have the sub-forums for each club, or even for each continent if thought useful.

regards
Kimball

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline DamonKelly  
#3 Posted : 27 October 2016 10:59:07(UTC)
DamonKelly

Australia   
If the "Like" wasn't clear, I'll be there too.
Cheers,
Damon
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DamonKelly
Offline dominator  
#4 Posted : 27 October 2016 11:05:18(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
And you "guys" could finish the day of with fireworks.

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dominator
Offline xxup  
#5 Posted : 27 October 2016 13:26:00(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Unfortunately they are banned in Queensland.. RollEyes
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline dominator  
#6 Posted : 28 October 2016 01:00:51(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Ah you poor buggers. [ was that another of Jo b...Petersons doings . lovely NZer that chap }. Should be banned over here as well.

Hope you have a good time when you get together.

I think you need a new coach for your rugby team. If only for the dick he made of himself over that Aussies cartoon of him. He really made a clown of himself I hear. I'm too busy to really take notice of those sorts of things. If its Marklin or Norton, I am all eyes and ears.

All the best.
Dereck
Offline xxup  
#7 Posted : 28 October 2016 02:16:18(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Personally, I think we need a whole new team from the lowest backup player right up to the CEO of the team! They are a national embarrassment.

My mother, who loves supporting the Australian and Queensland football teams, stopped watching the Australian team this year. Her comment, "they play like little boys with too much money having a tantrum". Her idea is that the players and management get a basic salary, say A$50,000 per year and earn money through a performance-based pay system. It will take them out of their current comfort zone where money is no object and drugs are cheap.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline dominator  
#8 Posted : 28 October 2016 05:40:15(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Then they might go to other countries and "pull their fingers out"Flapper Flapper Flapper

Give me League any day. [ Aussie stuff that is ]BigGrin

I used to watch all the available Aussie game and the SOI before Skye effed it all up for us.Cursing AngryThumbDown ThumbDown Now I have to watch the shite my wife records.BoredRollEyes RollEyes { which does cause me a lot of the time to play trains, or make bits for my Nortons ] BigGrin Laugh Love

Dereck

20 minutes to go and I am off yacht racing .. YippeeWink Wink Wink ThumpUp ThumpUp .
Offline Webmaster  
#9 Posted : 28 October 2016 20:47:24(UTC)
Webmaster

Wish I could be there... Crying
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline xxup  
#10 Posted : 29 October 2016 05:24:26(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
It's only a short drive to Copenhagen then a short stop in Singapore and then you are here.. You will easily get here before Saturday.. Cool Then it's only a short hop to visit the East Islanders - I will even come with you.. LOL
Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline PJMärklin  
#11 Posted : 29 October 2016 08:17:56(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
It's only a short drive to Copenhagen then a short stop in Singapore and then you are here.. You will easily get here before Saturday.. Cool Then it's only a short hop to visit the East Islanders - I will even come with you.. LOL

I'd come too!BigGrin

Afterall, Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark some time ago considered attending a yachting event in Australia ( he has previously sailed in International Dragon Class Yachting events at the Royal Yacht Club of Tasmania in Hobart, birthplace of his Princess, Mary) and someone calculated that he could return to Denmark within a day by Air Force jet in time to attend a very important Royal event in time !!
I understand he did not however proceed, having the good sense to feel this was inappropriate (unlike one of our our federal ministers who recently used his ministerial chauffeured car to transport two of his dogs to his weekend holiday home and is now suffering the scandalous canine consequences in the rabid media!)

Given that you would be attending a more important event however, maybe you could try same !!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The Royal Yacht :

[We just missed Pricess Mary (disappointing, seeing that I had the Tim-Tams and Vegemite to hand - but I am given to believe a private stock of same is kept at Levetzau’s Palace in Copenhagen]RollEyes

UserPostedImage

not far from :

UserPostedImage

ThumpUp

Regards,

Philip
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline kimballthurlow  
#12 Posted : 30 October 2016 09:42:53(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Philip,
Yes well I don't know whether you should believe the signs around Aarhus about the wind.
A few days before we visited our daughter there, a storm of sorts did the following to not one, but many trees in the nature reserve surrounding Princess Mary's summer home.
UserPostedImage

I had not seen such destruction since the early 1960s, when I was on hand to witness wholesale uprooting of timber in Central Queensland to open up grazing land.
It was certainly a lot colder in Aarhus then CQ, but especially because of the wind. As my daughter says, "the wind is a b...".

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline river6109  
#13 Posted : 03 November 2016 10:22:05(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Would have loved to be there to give you some lessons how to drink XXXX at 10 o'clock in the morning, its been almost 50 years ago

I still remember, the streets of Inner Brisbane are divided into Kings and Queens.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline xxup  
#14 Posted : 03 November 2016 11:46:11(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Don't don't think that you will recognise the place now.. LOL
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline DamonKelly  
#15 Posted : 04 November 2016 09:53:37(UTC)
DamonKelly

Australia   
Sorry folks -- something came up, and I won't be able to make it.
Cheers,
Damon
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DamonKelly
Offline xxup  
#16 Posted : 05 November 2016 05:03:21(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Nev and I arrived there first. Nev with his portable chair borrowed my Marklin cap, some dark sunglasses and a spare hat saw an opportunity to set up shop and earn some spare cash outside the Elizabeth street entrance to the Myer's Centre, while I ran off to the bank. Fortunately for him, his first customer was Legless.. LOL Rita DID warn me not to leave him alone. LOL

Shortly after Kimball arrived, soon followed by PMare4 and the rest of his family. So we walked, while one of us hobbled (no names Nev), up to the Shingle-Inn coffee shop on floor 2 of the Myer's Centre. Only to find that we had set up shop next to three blokes from Germany, who had overheard us discussing Marklin. Small world!

Anyway, here is the meeting photo - to prove it really did happen..

UserPostedImage

From the left is: yours truly, legless, PMare4, kimballthurlow and, of course, the legendary NevW - the only person to stop Queensland Railways by stair-surfing all the way to the tracks at Bowen Hills station.

A great time was had by all. (Amazing considering not one of us had any alcohol.. LOL )
Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 13 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline PJMärklin  
#17 Posted : 05 November 2016 06:20:43(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   

From the left is: yours truly, legless, PMare4, kimballthurlow and, of course, the legendary NevW - the only person to stop Queensland Railways by stair-surfing all the way to the tracks at Bowen Hills station.

A great time was had by all. (Amazing considering not one of us had any alcohol.. LOL )

Hello,

Thanks for the post
Great to put faces to names !!BigGrin

Regards,

Philip

Offline PJMärklin  
#18 Posted : 05 November 2016 06:25:20(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Hi Philip,
Yes well I don't know whether you should believe the signs around Aarhus about the wind.
A few days before we visited our daughter there, a storm of sorts did the following to not one, but many trees in the nature reserve surrounding Princess Mary's summer home.

I had not seen such destruction since the early 1960s, when I was on hand to witness wholesale uprooting of timber in Central Queensland to open up grazing land.
It was certainly a lot colder in Aarhus then CQ, but especially because of the wind. As my daughter says, "the wind is a b...".

regards
Kimball

Hello Kimball,

That is a strong wind!

Rather more placid during our visit :

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Regards,

Philip
Offline kimballthurlow  
#19 Posted : 05 November 2016 07:34:16(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi all,
Thanks firstly to Adrian (xxup) for purchasing the coffee, I felt as though I was well looked after.

We discussed lots of things, mostly Marklin, and Nev's N gauge Minitrix.
The consensus was (I know I will get drummed out of the Brownies as they say) is that we all have enough model trains. However there was no negativity, and nothing disparaging about our liking for Marklin.
Peter (Pmare4) broached the subject of antique toy trains, which was of common interest.
I rarely meet people who have a similar expansive knowledge on the subject, and we ended up in really engaging conversation.
As usual, we missed those who could not make it for one reason or another.
It was great to meet our friend Mike (legless) from the far southern parts of the continent.
He did not come across as any different to the rest of us, surprize surprize.
He explained an early interest in and work with reptiles (of which there are plenty in Australia) earned him the nick-name legless.

A great meet-up.

regards
Kimball
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline dominator  
#20 Posted : 05 November 2016 08:31:36(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Someone looks a we bit out of place in that photo. NO Grey Hair. Good on yer mates.
Dereck
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dominator
Offline nevw  
#21 Posted : 07 November 2016 08:20:25(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
It was a great morning to catchup with Mike and Kimball and PMare4 (Peter. Being down the far end I missed out on the great conversation between Mike Peter and Kimball, got bits of it . we needed a round table.

I reject Adrain's tampering with the truth. I did not stumble up the escalators with my portable chair on wheels. I rather elegantly traveled up (and Down) with the wheels first a great morning, it was a bit difficult to leave.

the next one better be a bit closer than the last 2.

cheers

NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by nevw
Offline river6109  
#22 Posted : 07 November 2016 09:36:38(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Nev, you would have liked these elevators but no hobby shop

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Pmare4  
#23 Posted : 07 November 2016 10:06:09(UTC)
Pmare4

Australia   
Nev, Kimball and xxup (Adrian) have already talked about most that went on. (so less work for me!)

Adrian and Nev were at one table, and were talking about cars and Nev's N gauge. Me, Kimball and Mike (legless) were at the other talking about new and old Marklin.
As for the absence of grey hair on my part... RollEyes

Overall, we definitely had a great time, and I sure came away having learnt something new! ThumpUp

Peter
Collecting vintage Märklin from 1935-1970, also Hornby O Gauge
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Pmare4
Offline ac jacko  
#24 Posted : 15 November 2016 11:33:55(UTC)
ac jacko

We are heading up to QLD for Chrissy as been 4 years since last time in Brisbane which we caught up with kimballand others etc. If anyone is interested for another meeting please advise, as I am really interested in understanding my ECOS 50200 as still very newbie etc.

cheers dale
Offline Legless  
#25 Posted : 15 November 2016 11:52:27(UTC)
Legless

Australia   
Highly recommend as many members getting together.
Regards legless
Legless
Era's 1 to 111,C track,k track
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Legless
Offline xxup  
#26 Posted : 15 November 2016 14:49:32(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
What are the approximate dates Dale?

The City can be very busy at Christmas time and hard to get a table or two at the cafe. If at all possible we should try to meet in the suburbs..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline sjbartels  
#27 Posted : 15 November 2016 19:43:26(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Nev and I arrived there first. Nev with his portable chair borrowed my Marklin cap, some dark sunglasses and a spare hat saw an opportunity to set up shop and earn some spare cash outside the Elizabeth street entrance to the Myer's Centre, while I ran off to the bank. Fortunately for him, his first customer was Legless.. LOL Rita DID warn me not to leave him alone. LOL

Shortly after Kimball arrived, soon followed by PMare4 and the rest of his family. So we walked, while one of us hobbled (no names Nev), up to the Shingle-Inn coffee shop on floor 2 of the Myer's Centre. Only to find that we had set up shop next to three blokes from Germany, who had overheard us discussing Marklin. Small world!

UserPostedImage

Hopefully one day I can coincide a trip home with of your get togethers
American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by sjbartels
Offline ac jacko  
#28 Posted : 16 November 2016 10:47:46(UTC)
ac jacko

Last time we meet at a pub and then went to Kimbal's for a nice coffee and saw his layout. I am out at Ipswich which may be too far for members to train in or drive but more than happy to host if required. Will be there from 18th Dec to 4th Jan and happy to bring up my ecos and locos for some "smack dale in the head " programming tips :) LOL

cheers Dale

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by ac jacko
Offline DV  
#29 Posted : 16 November 2016 12:06:39(UTC)
DV

Australia   
Nice to see you back in the land of the living (Marklin) Dale😆😆😀😀😀😆👍
Dusan V
'I find your lack of faith (in Märklin) disturbing'
Offline xxup  
#30 Posted : 16 November 2016 12:23:52(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: ac jacko Go to Quoted Post
...I am out at Ipswich which may be too far for members to train in or drive but more than happy to host if required. Will be there from 18th Dec to 4th Jan ...

Road Trip.. LOL
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline kimballthurlow  
#31 Posted : 16 November 2016 12:36:55(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,
A trip to Ipswich is OK with me.

regards
Kimball
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline river6109  
#32 Posted : 16 November 2016 16:56:46(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Last time we meet at a pub and then went to Kimbal's for a nice coffee and saw his layout. I am out at Ipswich which may be too far for members to train in or drive but more than happy to host if required. Will be there from 18th Dec to 4th Jan and happy to bring up my ecos and locos for some "smack dale in the head " programming tips :) LOL

cheers Dale

Dale,

everything still working ? how is your Dad ?

John
Offline Shamu  
#33 Posted : 18 November 2016 03:10:46(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
...I am out at Ipswich which may be too far for members to train in or drive but more than happy to host if required. Will be there from 18th Dec to 4th Jan ...

Road Trip.. LOL

Or do a proper one...... head north young man. Wink
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
Offline xxup  
#34 Posted : 18 November 2016 03:48:51(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Mate your place is strictly Winter only! However, it would be good to do a road trip up there.. Let's see if we survive Ipswich first.. Laugh
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline sjbartels  
#35 Posted : 18 November 2016 05:59:09(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   

UserPostedImage

Ok, I see the wheelie mate... but I still remain troubled by the proximity to Lincraft..... are you sure you all didn't go in there???? :)
American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
Offline pserup  
#36 Posted : 30 December 2016 11:17:33(UTC)
pserup

Denmark   

UserPostedImage

Just saw your pic of the meet up - looks like you had a "hyggelig" time. Wish I could have been there. It's been far too long since life sent me to Oz Sad

Maybe I'll see you guys the summer of 2018 as there's a stem cell meeting in Melbourne I ought to attend RollEyes

My wishes for a happy new year to you all.
CS, Denmark/Germany Ep. I - V, Switzerland Ep. II - V, USA Ep. III/IV
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by pserup
Offline xxup  
#37 Posted : 31 December 2016 00:22:12(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
You are always welcome down here Per. Melbourne is a possibility for me in 2018. Let us know some dates and places, when you have something definite.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline Legless  
#38 Posted : 04 March 2020 10:12:21(UTC)
Legless

Australia   
How time flies.

Heading back up to Queensland with 2 days spare in Brisbane on 23 and 24 of May (Sat & Sun.

I will love to catch up with everyone again.

We are meeting on the corner of Albert and Elizabeth Streets at the lower entrance to the Myer Centre.

All welcome.

Mike
Legless
Offline xxup  
#39 Posted : 04 March 2020 12:11:12(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Sadly, I will miss you this trip.. I will be in Duxford watching old aeroplanes fly around the sky on that weekend.. As long as the ^&%*&$ cronvirus does not cause the event to be cancelled! Blushing

Have a great time everyone.. Smile
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline kimballthurlow  
#40 Posted : 05 March 2020 07:56:15(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Legless Go to Quoted Post
How time flies.

Heading back up to Queensland with 2 days spare in Brisbane on 23 and 24 of May (Sat & Sun.

I will love to catch up with everyone again.

All welcome.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I asked some Brisbane Marklinists and there might be a preference for Sunday in time for, or prior to lunch.

Kimball
Offline Legless  
#41 Posted : 05 March 2020 09:13:23(UTC)
Legless

Australia   
Hi Kimball,

At the moment I have a clean schedule and fit in to what ever is easiest.
Plus I would like to see a layout or two.

Mike
Legless
Offline kimballthurlow  
#42 Posted : 09 March 2020 00:47:51(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Brisbane on 23 and 24 of May 2020 (Sat & Sun).

Hi Mike and all Brisbanistas,

My layout is available for a running session either day.
It remains to be seen when members wish to meet up.

If using public transport from a downtown lunch, it is a 20 minute bus ride to my house.
Saturday bus regularity is better than Sunday.

Kimball
Offline Legless  
#43 Posted : 10 March 2020 07:13:36(UTC)
Legless

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Brisbane on 23 and 24 of May 2020 (Sat & Sun).

Hi Mike and all Brisbanistas,

My layout is available for a running session either day.
It remains to be seen when members wish to meet up.

If using public transport from a downtown lunch, it is a 20 minute bus ride to my house.
Saturday bus regularity is better than Sunday.

Kimball

Hi Kimball, I’m in and could being 1 or 3 loco's up with me.
Mike
Legless
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Legless
Offline DamonKelly  
#44 Posted : 10 March 2020 10:07:32(UTC)
DamonKelly

Australia   
I'd prefer Sunday, but I can do Saturday.
Lunch, then trains?
Cheers,
Damon
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DamonKelly