Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline baggio  
#51 Posted : 16 October 2016 22:07:44(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Thank you for the suggestion: sometimes I forget we are in the 21st century and we have Internet. BigGrin

So, I did and found this VERY nice set. A pleasure to see it run.

Enjoy:

Marklin 3025
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by baggio
Offline David Dewar  
#52 Posted : 16 October 2016 23:45:29(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Investments are for the stock market or property etc where you have an excellent chance of making a profit. Some toys will appreciate in value if they are rare and old enough .. the seller will also need to be old lol.
I buy to have enjoyment playing with Marklin .. don't even understand collectors who put trains in a cabinet complete with a sound decoder which will never be heard. However we are all different and have different views but I just like the fun and enjoyment of model rail.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline NS1200  
#53 Posted : 17 October 2016 07:50:42(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Investments are for the stock market or property etc where you have an excellent chance of making a profit. Some toys will appreciate in value if they are rare and old enough .. the seller will also need to be old lol.
I buy to have enjoyment playing with Marklin .. don't even understand collectors who put trains in a cabinet complete with a sound decoder which will never be heard. However we are all different and have different views but I just like the fun and enjoyment of model rail.

David,

I place all my Marklin stuff in glass cabinets,also the more expensive locomotives,and i am the only person allowed to touch them,and my wife knows this!
Some have sound recorders of which i know the sound,no need to hear it all the time.
Silly me.

Paul

Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
Offline HO Collector  
#54 Posted : 17 October 2016 23:12:13(UTC)
HO Collector

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post

I have never had a layout. When I was a kid, twice a year the house was mine and my trains, the tracks were running from one bedroom to the other, to the living room via the dinning room via the hallway, I guess, that there were about 100m of tracks and many meters of wires to power the switches and the home signals. The 3025 model is fast and noisy, a sheer delight BigGrin. It went up and down the bridge and took tight turns at high speed until it was derailed one too many times and broke into 3 parts Cursing, so I have exchanged it for a flash light (made by Metz, still have it) for my camera.

I grew older, moved around and developed other interests and hobbies and the trains remained in the boxes, yet, from time to time I bought more, then some found there way into the coffee table Blushing .

The options are:
1. To sell at current market price (have no idea about Kohl values).
2. Keep and look at them from time to time.

If I get more realistic prices then those on Ebay I will let them go, otherwise they can stay where they are.
I am not hungry or desperate for money, the models don't eat or cost money, so why to sell? I can look and enjoy them behind the glass...where they are for the last 25 years.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by HO Collector
Offline Wildrose-Wally  
#55 Posted : 19 October 2016 14:53:06(UTC)
Wildrose-Wally

Canada   
Of course it is a sound investment. It is an investment that makes sounds, doesn't it? Laugh
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Wildrose-Wally
Offline tjones  
#56 Posted : 19 October 2016 21:09:54(UTC)
tjones

I doubt it will be a good investment any more. The rise of internet sales have made pretty much all Marklin trains on offer in the world available to us, so supply went up. Add to that the (perhaps sad) reality that many collectors are no longer with us (to use a euphemism), increases supply even more. The demand, for the same reason, is down, so overall I would expect prices to drop.

But the silver lining for ME is the hobby is more fun, because I can now buy a nice, 10-15 yr old loco for around 100 E. The 'hunt' for a good deal is certainly part of it!
But I doubt it will return much when I either decide to sell them, or want to cash in.
I can only echo the words of most responders here, that it is simply a hobby, and that hobbies are worth spending some money, if you really enjoy them!

Currently my oldest loco I got from St. Nicholas when I was 5 yrs old is on my table to be restored. I am afraid that will cost a multiple of what it was ever worth... Blushing For me it is a good investment, though, because I will never ever sell that one!

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by tjones
Offline tjones  
#57 Posted : 19 October 2016 21:23:41(UTC)
tjones

Originally Posted by: HO Collector Go to Quoted Post

If I get more realistic prices then those on Ebay I will let them go, otherwise they can stay where they are.
I am not hungry or desperate for money, the models don't eat or cost money, so why to sell? I can look and enjoy them behind the glass...where they are for the last 25 years.

The prices on Ebay ARE realistic. This is what people are paying for trains nowadays. And I've bought a couple there in the last few years, with one exception, they were in perfect, hardly used condition.
If I were you, I'de keep them for as long as I have room and enjoy looking at them! Or, better, build up that track once a year and let them run

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by tjones
Offline HO Collector  
#58 Posted : 19 October 2016 23:11:50(UTC)
HO Collector

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: tjones Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: HO Collector Go to Quoted Post

If I were you, I'de keep them for as long as I have room and enjoy looking at them! Or, better, build up that track once a year and let them run

This is a bit of a problem, now I have a wife, she doesn't care about the "but i want it" BigGrin BigGrin

I have a gauge 1 starter set in the original box, trafo, wires etc. that was made in 1935/6. Sometimes I put it together just for the fun of it.