Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Jabez  
#1 Posted : 13 October 2016 19:47:58(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
1. The 5211 comes with a small accessory packet that contains fixing screws, coloured plugs, and a couple of what look like resistors attached to wires. The latter are not mentioned in the instructions. What are they, and what are they for?
2. I'm going to use the 5211 with Maerklin electric turnout mechanisms. The latter have three leads (yellow, orange, and black) which terminate in a small triple-female-socket connector. I suppose this is designed to plug directly into a matching connector on the Maerklin m83 decoder or a Maerklin switch box. What is the procedure for wiring the turnouts to the 5211? Do you just cut off the supplied triple connector, fit the coloured plugs to the stripped wire-ends, and plug into the appropriate 5211 sockets, or is there some better way of doing this?
Thanks.
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 13 October 2016 21:17:33(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Jabez Go to Quoted Post
Do you just cut off the supplied triple connector, fit the coloured plugs to the stripped wire-ends, and plug into the appropriate 5211 sockets, or is there some better way of doing this?

I throw the supplied 'plugs' away and use the old style Marklin ones - they fit quite well into the 5211 sockets.

As for the resistors, I don't use them.

Brawa sell the old style plugs - Brawa 3052 for Red, the others are 305x.

s-l500.jpg
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Danlake  
#3 Posted : 14 October 2016 03:28:39(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Jabez,

If you are a building a permanent layout I would suggest to upgrade the wiring slightly.

I solder a slightly higher wire gauge onto the Marklin turnout wiring which is very thin and fragile. If using the Brawa plug you would notice that the small screw is all that secure the wiring inside the plug, so having a slightly higher wire gauge will ensure a better and more solid connection inside the plug.

You will also find that the Marklin turnout wiring is not very long so rarely will you be able to have enough length to be able to connect 4 turnouts to one decoder anyway.

If buying wires, don't buy the expensive Marklin/Brawa product. Instead go to your local hobby electronic store and you buy them cheaply per meters. Then also get some heat shrink tubing (very cheap and you can get in all the colors you need). You don't need a special tool to heat the tubing but you can use the heat from the soldering iron to shrink the tubing.

For fixing the decoder to your baseboard framing I use some double sided Velcro tape. You can then easily remove the decoder if needed.

I believe the resistor is used when powering minitrix turnout (see the manual). I have never used them.

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline PJMärklin  
#4 Posted : 14 October 2016 11:16:21(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

I throw the supplied 'plugs' away and use the old style Marklin ones - they fit quite well into the 5211 sockets.

Brawa sell the old style plugs .

Hello David,

Thank you for your post, now I have no worries about having done the same thing since the advent of newer style Märklin plugs!

Even with things Märklin (such as the newer Märklin points which come with their newer style plugs) I change all plugs to the old style by using the Brawa equivalent since these are the plugs used throughout my layout.

Regards,

Philip

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 14 October 2016 12:06:47(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: PJMärklin Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

Brawa sell the old style plugs .

Hello David,

Thank you for your post, now I have no worries about having done the same thing since the advent of newer style Märklin plugs!

Even with things Märklin (such as the newer Märklin points which come with their newer style plugs) I change all plugs to the old style by using the Brawa equivalent since these are the plugs used throughout my layout.

Regards,

Philip

UserPostedImage

Yes, see this page to select the items you want.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Tex  
#6 Posted : 14 October 2016 19:48:10(UTC)
Tex

United States   
I would like to give a plug for the Viessmann plugs. They are easy to use with no lost screws or loose connections. You just push the bare wire through the end and fold it over and ram it into the opening to make a tight connection. It works with Viessmann and old style Marklin decoders and switch boxes.

Tex
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Tex
Offline Jabez  
#7 Posted : 15 October 2016 00:13:25(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Danlake Go to Quoted Post

I believe the resistor is used when powering minitrix turnout (see the manual). I have never used them.
Brgds Lasse

Thank you and all the others for your informative comments. I particularly note the preference for older style Maerklin plugs, and Tex's defence of the Viessmann plug design. Looking for dropped plug screws on the floor after you have lost your 20/20 eagle vision, if you ever had it, is a task to be avoided.
Regarding the resistors, On your suggestion I looked at the Trix section of the instructions, which I had ignored before, and of course their use was explained there along with a bloody circuit diagram. Duh.Blushing
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline PJMärklin  
#8 Posted : 15 October 2016 05:38:46(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Jabez Go to Quoted Post

Looking for dropped plug screws on the floor after you have lost your 20/20 eagle vision, if you ever had it, is a task to be avoided.

Hello Jabez,

I share your concerns, some time ago I discovered the solution, which now has a permanent place on the layout ! .........

UserPostedImage

Regards,

PJ
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline Robert Davies  
#9 Posted : 15 October 2016 15:54:08(UTC)
Robert Davies

United Kingdom   
If you want Marklin-style plugs and sockets at a good price, I can recommend Ebay seller modellbahnartikel-de. Apart from lots of rolling stock (where in my opinion I think he is a bit on the pricy-side), he sells lots of useful electrical accessories very reasonably including Marklin plugs and sockets in the full range of colours at Euro 1.85 for 10 (worldwide postage extra). I have used him a lot and he provides a prompt and reliable service.
Robert
Era III - IV
2 x Central Station 2 v.2 (60214 + 60215)
Hardware versions 3.6 / 4.33
Software version 4.2.1 (0)
Offline DaleSchultz  
#10 Posted : 15 October 2016 17:31:52(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Originally Posted by: Tex Go to Quoted Post
I would like to give a plug for the Viessmann plugs. They are easy to use with no lost screws or loose connections. You just push the bare wire through the end and fold it over and ram it into the opening to make a tight connection. It works with Viessmann and old style Marklin decoders and switch boxes.

Tex

I too liked the simplicity of the Viessmann plugs, but they also lose contact as easily as they are inserted. I now no longer use them because I am sick of going around and pushing them in again to make the make contact.

At the end of the page at http://layout.mixmox.com/1/signals-1 you see how I used them.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline DasBert33  
#11 Posted : 16 October 2016 08:24:14(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
/
Offline Robert Davies  
#12 Posted : 16 October 2016 19:57:21(UTC)
Robert Davies

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post

Tex

I too liked the simplicity of the Viessmann plugs, but they also lose contact as easily as they are inserted. I now no longer use them because I am sick of going around and pushing them in again to make the make contact.

At the end of the page at http://layout.mixmox.com/1/signals-1 you see how I used them.

I am glad that you said that, Dale. That supports the hunch I made a long time ago which I why I have never used them. I have dozens of various Viessmann units but I use nothing but Marklin-type plugs.
Robert
Era III - IV
2 x Central Station 2 v.2 (60214 + 60215)
Hardware versions 3.6 / 4.33
Software version 4.2.1 (0)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Robert Davies
Offline Tex  
#13 Posted : 17 October 2016 10:45:50(UTC)
Tex

United States   
Originally Posted by: Robert Davies Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post

Tex

I am glad that you said that, Dale. That supports the hunch I made a long time ago which I why I have never used them. I have dozens of various Viessmann units but I use nothing but Marklin-type plugs.

Robert and Dale

My experience with the Viessmann plugs has been very good and I have never had them lose contact. Perhaps the wire you use is too fine. The photo below shows eight Viessmann plugs next to eight older style Marklin plugs.

Tex