Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline johnmarklin  
#1 Posted : 09 October 2016 18:42:55(UTC)
johnmarklin

Ireland   
This question applies to all Marklin gauges. Briefly, I recently bought a Marklin G1. 55440 locomotive. When the locomotive was delivered it was in a very bad condition and a lot of the plastic parts (pipes, coupling, cab floor lanterns etc) were damaged. The seller is being less than helpful and is trying to blame the courier service. As the locomotive works I have decided to try and repair the broken parts. Some but not all are available from Marklin but as luck would have it some the parts that I need are no longer available.

Could any of you recommend the correct type of glue that I could use to repair the damaged plastic parts (any gauge). I have tried polystyrene,super glue and quick set epoxy but without success. I do know that there are various grades/types of glue but which is the correct one?

It would be a shame not to get this lovely locomotive restored to its original glory.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

John
Offline DTaylor91  
#2 Posted : 09 October 2016 20:46:49(UTC)
DTaylor91

Originally Posted by: johnmarklin Go to Quoted Post
This question applies to all Marklin gauges. Briefly, I recently bought a Marklin G1. 55440 locomotive. When the locomotive was delivered it was in a very bad condition and a lot of the plastic parts (pipes, coupling, cab floor lanterns etc) were damaged. The seller is being less than helpful and is trying to blame the courier service. As the locomotive works I have decided to try and repair the broken parts. Some but not all are available from Marklin but as luck would have it some the parts that I need are no longer available.

Could any of you recommend the correct type of glue that I could use to repair the damaged plastic parts (any gauge). I have tried polystyrene,super glue and quick set epoxy but without success. I do know that there are various grades/types of glue but which is the correct one?

It would be a shame not to get this lovely locomotive restored to its original glory.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

John

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but every Märklin locomotive plastic detail part I have ever seen, as well some of the plastic truck frames and freight car bodies, have all been made from a plastic called Delrin. There is no glue that will stick to it, not even epoxy. There is no solvent for it, so any type of styrene/ABS cement will not work either. The only thing that will repair a crack in Delrin is heat welding, and that rarely is an option for a detail part.

Your only option is to find a similar part from another manufacturer, or scratchbuild. Perhaps there is a manufacturer that makes brass or white metal detail parts for gauge 1 (1:32) similar to what Weinert provides for H0
Offline kweekalot  
#3 Posted : 09 October 2016 20:52:06(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
I use 'super glue' suitable for plastic, rubber and ceramics.
I buy it at the 'BigBazar' discount store here, 3 tubes for € 1,95
Afterwards you can not see that the part has been repaired and the connection is very strong.

Not important for mrr repairs but it is also the only super glue I've found so far, which connection stays intact when it is > 24 hours underwater.

Marco
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 10 October 2016 00:39:59(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I recently purchased a used Marklin 55441 1 Gauge BR44 (same model as your 55440, but factory weathered). One of the plastic pipes at the rear of the loco on one side broke, and the whole assembly dropped down onto the track. I repaired it using some Humbrol plastic cement, taping it up with some masking tape to hold everything together while the glue dried. The repair hasn't failed as yet, but I certainly need to be careful when connecting the tender wiring harness to the loco - that's how I broke it in the first place.
Offline ktsolias  
#5 Posted : 10 October 2016 08:50:27(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
The Loctite Super Glue GEL in very small quntities and patiens working excellend for me so far.
For metalparts the Loctite red 243 is excellent

Try with care in the quantity!!!

Costas
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ktsolias
Offline hxmiesa  
#6 Posted : 10 October 2016 16:10:17(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
As said, there is no solution for this, unless you can treat the surface with f.x. chromic acid at high temperature, NO common glue will bond to its surface.
Sorry! :-(

However; If you can work on the "inside" of the model, where looks doesnt matter, AND you have a huge surface to scratch with f.x. fine sandpaper, you CAN (kindof) glue it with this;
http://www.loctiteproduc...Epoxy-Plastic-Bonder.htm
-But for smaller and fine details you are stuffed. (Might be able to repoduce them in brass or other plastics, and drill minuscule holes to insert them into, and fasten them on the backside (again; where looks doesnt matter)
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline johnmarklin  
#7 Posted : 14 October 2016 11:49:17(UTC)
johnmarklin

Ireland   
Thank you to everyone who replied to my query.

Unfortunately some of the parts to be repaired are detail parts located on the boiler and in the cab so precision will be required. I have found a product from Loctite called 'Super Glue all Plastics' and Tech support at Loctite tell me that this will do the job. Time will tell!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by johnmarklin
Offline Minok  
#8 Posted : 14 October 2016 21:14:56(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: johnmarklin Go to Quoted Post
Thank you to everyone who replied to my query.

Unfortunately some of the parts to be repaired are detail parts located on the boiler and in the cab so precision will be required. I have found a product from Loctite called 'Super Glue all Plastics' and Tech support at Loctite tell me that this will do the job. Time will tell!

Do report back how well that glue works. Applying with a toothpick or needle in very small quantities is surely needed.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline johnmarklin  
#9 Posted : 24 October 2016 12:12:18(UTC)
johnmarklin

Ireland   
I have now tried Loctite Super Glue 'All Plastics' and can report some success. I have managed to repair the coupling of the locomotive and so far the repair is solid even after some rough handling. Other parts repairs have not been so successful but I could put that down to poor preparation on my part. I will continue the repair work and will report in time as to how successful I have been..

John
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by johnmarklin