Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline hjmo08  
#1 Posted : 10 October 2008 15:59:17(UTC)
hjmo08

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Hemmerich
<br />1. Check power connection; see extra reminder page supplied with the CS-II about brown/red track wires (RTFM). Also keep in mind that only the selected address is tested; if correct, the loco headlight should shortly blink.

All my tests were made in perfect power connections and only using the 'programming' connection on CS2!Smile As I referred according with loco 37141, for example, a reset to factory settings was made for this loco and the gap of '1' value for the read address is really true, i.e. the CS1 resets to address '30' (the original address applied from Marklin) and CS2 resets to address '31'. If you have one loco 37141, please test it and compare the values obtained with CS1 and with CS2. You will get some surprise! Cool. Do you have some results on testing also locos with delta original decoders?

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:
2. This is just a general display for verification of the correct address DIP setting during the initial configuration. Either select 4 or 8, depending upon the physical switch installed on the decoder (default setting is 8).

For me this is a bug, because if you save customized data for a loco, for the next time when you need to access to the configuration area for that particular loco, the saved data must be shown again, and nothing else. It's no logical. I'm on Informatics at almost 20 years and can you imagine if all the software 'forgot' to save all the customizing data? [:0]

Quote:
5. See help text for backup file naming conventions (RTFM).

I'm sorry but I cannot agree with that. There must have a possibility to give a file name before backup process![8)]

Quote:
6. Same as 2. This is just a general display for verification of the correct address DIP setting during the initial configuration. Either select 8 or 10, depending upon the physical switch installed on the decoder (default setting is 8).

The same as I reply in 2. It is a costumized data. It will need to be saved and nothing else.biggrin

Many thanks!Cool
Offline perz  
#2 Posted : 10 October 2008 21:06:19(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
I can see that after only a few posts the "CS2 known issues" topic has started to diverge from the original intent that Luis had with it: just a list, no discussion.

I think it is a good idea to keep that topic just a list, for the reason Luis mentioned: readability.

So, therefore, I open up this topic. Keep the discussion here, keep the original topic just a list. It would be nice if the two last posts in "CS2 known issues" (by Hemmerich and hjmo08) could be moved over to here as well.

Webmaster comment:
Good thinking Per, the non-relevant posts to the list are moved here now.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 10 October 2008 23:50:58(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I've already had the Webmaster delete 2 posts, plus my 2 responding to those posts with the above reasons, out of that thread! Sigh!

Webmaster comment:
Good thinking Per, the non-relevant posts to the list are moved here now.

Ah, the silent hand of our webmaster! I wondered why some extra posts appeared between mine and Lutz's!!wink
Online David Dewar  
#4 Posted : 11 October 2008 01:26:53(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Thankfully we now have Luis thread as it should be ...
It is an excellent idea and stops comments which cause problems.

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline nevw  
#5 Posted : 11 October 2008 03:25:43(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Lutz,
Thanks for the informative (in Part) information that you have provided on the CS2
reading your postings on this topic in this thread and other threads it would appear that you have had no issues with the CS2 and it has behaved impeccably from day one with no faults or shortcomings with your version of the CS2 as reported by other users . Is that Correct?

How many times did you have to take it back to Maerklin for repair or adjustment?
you made the following statement:
BTW: They were quite thankful for my (constructive) feedback so far; I see no reason why this would be much different for you.

What issues did you make "Constructive" feedback to Marklin? Do you think that they would be of interest to members of this forum.

Curious,

Nev
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 11 October 2008 03:48:54(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Quote:
<br />The only thing that matters is that the backup and corresponding restore work (easily). As simple as this (whether you like the answer or not): it's not up to you to define those "rules"; at least for the internal saved backup data.

Trouble is, every other Operating System in existence lets you change the backup name, why not this one? A perfectly valid question, I would have thought, and a typical 'Marklin knows best' answer from LH!
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#7 Posted : 11 October 2008 04:51:32(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Quote:
<br />PS: It is irrelevant how long you're in informatics, but just fyi: I'm in this business since 45 years - and I know (too) what I'm talking about. Smile

Lutz, please desist from these sorts of abusive posts to new members! If it is irrelevant about hjmo08's 20 years, then it is just as irrelevant about your 45 years! How about welcoming the guy instead, and treating his comments with the respect they deserve!

BTW, Welcome to the forum hjmo08, you will find 99.9% of the people here are very friendly. Just ignore the other 0.01%.
Offline nevw  
#8 Posted : 11 October 2008 05:50:11(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Welcome to the Forum hjmo08. anad I concur with Davids Comments.
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Online David Dewar  
#9 Posted : 11 October 2008 15:18:33(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Welcome to the forum and forget about the guy that spoils it for others.

david
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline steventrain  
#10 Posted : 12 October 2008 12:25:19(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Welcome to the forum, hjmo08.Smile
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Nigel Packer  
#11 Posted : 12 October 2008 16:44:14(UTC)
Nigel Packer

United Kingdom   
I've just added two more Issues to my existing list in the "CS2 known issues" forum. These are:
My Issue 7: The loco selection facility starts to get more and more flaky as the number of defined locos increases: sometimes pressing the loco-select button just causes a flash on the screen; sometimes just part of the loco list appears, incorrectly positioned on the screen; sometimes a random (apparently) loco gets selected.
My Issue 8: There's a limit of 72 locos! As more locos are defined, the selection list splits into columns, with a maximum of 18 locos per column, and a maximum of four columns - this fills the screen. If you continue adding locos, they are added to the list, but there's no way of accessing any loco past number 72 (ordered alphabetically). The control knobs continue to operate the previously-selected locos, and do not allow you to scroll through the list. Likewise, a USB mouse can not scroll the list.

I'm sure there must be a way to scroll through the loco list, but I can't find one! The manual and the Help don't help . . .

Nigel
Märklin collector since age 5.
H0 Collection from 1935 to today.
Offline laalves  
#12 Posted : 12 October 2008 18:32:28(UTC)
laalves

Maybe Märklin was thinking that they would correct that before anyone was able to input 72+ locos!

I just hope that they evolve this into a graphic scroll, where you could scroll through photos of your locos, instead of picking from a text list. The Viessmann Commander does that.
Offline nevw  
#13 Posted : 14 October 2008 02:36:18(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Just repeating myself from a previous post: We now have a few members reporting Issues with the CS2 with one exception, Lutz.
From his silence I would presume that he has no problems/issues with his CS2 and every one else got the faulty ones. Even one dying.

Lutz we are interested in what "Constructive" Suggestions that you presented to Marklin CS2 fault department.
Offline Davy  
#14 Posted : 14 October 2008 02:42:03(UTC)
Davy

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by laalves
<br />Maybe Märklin was thinking that they would correct that before anyone was able to input 72+ locos!

I just hope that they evolve this into a graphic scroll, where you could scroll through photos of your locos, instead of picking from a text list. The Viessmann Commander does that.

I have more then 72 locs.

M-track with a CS2.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#15 Posted : 14 October 2008 04:29:32(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Nev, Lutz hasn't posted for 4 days. Maybe he is away!
Online David Dewar  
#16 Posted : 14 October 2008 14:17:34(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Smile
Offline jeehring  
#17 Posted : 14 October 2008 21:36:12(UTC)
jeehring

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by hjmo08

All my tests were made in perfect power connections and only using the 'programming' connection on CS2!Smile As I referred according with loco 37141, for example, a reset to factory settings was made for this loco and the gap of '1' value for the read address is really true, i.e. the CS1 resets to address '30' (the original address applied from Marklin) and CS2 resets to address '31'. If you have one loco 37141, please test it and compare the values obtained with CS1 and with CS2. You will get some surprise! Cool. Do you have some results on testing also locos with delta original decoders?

Is it with 37141 only ?
Offline jeehring  
#18 Posted : 14 October 2008 22:28:08(UTC)
jeehring

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by hjmo08
<br />
Quote:
<br />1.

Quote:
2. This is just a general display for verification of the correct address DIP setting during the initial configuration. Either select 4 or 8, depending upon the physical switch installed on the decoder (default setting is 8).

For me this is a bug, because if you save customized data for a loco, for the next time when you need to access to the configuration area for that particular loco, the saved data must be shown again, and nothing else. It's no logical. I'm on Informatics at almost 20 years and can you imagine if all the software 'forgot' to save all the customizing data? [:0]

If I'm not wrong ( I''m not not sure to understand - I have no CS2 with me )

The single "customized data" is the address .
Dip-switchs position is not a customized data . Each address = only one same dip-switches position .
So ... Saving address is enough .Because when we are operating a layout + Motorola loco , the most important question is : are dip-switches in correct position with the choosen address ? (We choose the address first and then , we have to modify dip-switchs position . It is done also on the loco .)
As modification must be done on the locomotive , I guess this screen must be understood also as a useful reminder or warning only .The message is " check dip-swithes position " + " if you want "( or " don't forget")

What happens if you enter wrong dip-switches position ? Is there a message , or a warning , or something automatically changing the adress or...?"

I may be completely wrong . No hesitation , just tell me if I am ( yes or not).

Offline john black  
#19 Posted : 14 October 2008 23:03:46(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by nevw
<br />Lutz, reading your posts it would appear that you have had no issues with the CS2

Kiddin, Nev biggrin - this guy gets his M stuff made from solid gold ... [xx(]
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide