Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Poll Question : BR 53 or BR 59
Choice Votes Statistics
  Total 12 100%
Guests can't see poll choices and poll results. Try login or register. Guests can't vote. Try login or register.
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline me2621a  
#1 Posted : 27 December 2013 08:05:50(UTC)
me2621a

United States   
Hi guys,
So I am finally getting back into model trains, and have chosen to buy into Marklin. I am having a bit of an issue and I was hoping you all might be able to help. I originally had my heart Set on the Marklin 37024 BR 53 with Winter Livery, but it appears that no one is selling one and the one store I thought I could get it from had it incorrectly stocked.

So I am now looking at a Marklin 37021, the only thing is I cannot seem to find the engine in the Marklin Database. I have seen the box and it does indeed say 37021, is this a real engine, and if so what is the difference between it and the 37020?

I also had an opinion question for you all. I am either going to buy a BR 53 or a BR 59, in particular model number: 37054 for the 59. Which would you all get (I am ok with fantasy engines so lets leave that out of the discussions)? Does anyone have the 37054, and can speak to its quality?

Thanks guys.

-More questions on my other post (2 posts down)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by me2621a
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 27 December 2013 08:24:30(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hello, welcome to the forum. Can you give us a name we can call you? me2621a sounds more like a part number!

I've found the 37021 in my records. It is the same as the 37020 except that the decoder is not mfx, and there is no sound. The model was produced in 1999.

In terms of quality, the Br53 is a much older tooling than the Br59, dating back to the early 1980s. I have the 3702 from 1993 and the 37059 from 2000, and the Br59 has a greater level of detail, as well as a really smooth and quiet propulsion arrangement with a compact can motor. The Br53 has the older DCM (Drum Commutator Motor) which dates from the early seventies. It is bulkier, filling the whole cab, and can be noisy.

Both are desireable models (I have both types!) but I would have to vote for the Br59.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 27 December 2013 08:32:53(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Welcome to forum, metwosixtwoonea.

the BR 53 had issues with the back bogie of the loco and some of them didn't have any traction at all but this could have been a certain batch only, but be aware.

the BR 59 I couldn't tell you anything about it.

regards.,

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline me2621a  
#4 Posted : 27 December 2013 09:12:11(UTC)
me2621a

United States   
Hey guys,
You can call me Sam. So my desire for the BR 53 was generated by two things. The first was the 2011 Toy Fair Model (37024) and then finding the K5 Railway gun in matching paint. I ordered the railway gun and the 37024 but was informed after the gun shipped that the store I ordered from no longer had the 37024. It was then that I started looking and found the BR 59. Based on what you guys told me I would not buy any other BR 53 but the 2011 Toy Fair Model.

It just so happens though, I found one seller on Amazon.uk that had a brand new BR 53 Model: 37024, and the price with shipping on currency conversion was the same as the one I was going to buy so I just placed that order, and am actually pretty pumped about that haha. Though based on what you said and my thoughts on the 59, I think it is only a matter of time till the 59 becomes part of my collection as well.

If you guys don't mind I actually had a few more questions for you:

What I bought to start out with is the 29245 Starter Set, the 39023 2012 Toy fair model, the 42283 passenger cars, now the 37024, and then the K5 Railway gun. I also ordered an extra switch and a few more boxes of strait track and decoders and motors for the switches.

-I guess the first thing I would love to know is how many engines can I run on the Mobile Station 2 and the power supply that comes in the starter set?
-I am planning to pick up a Central Station within the next month or two, do I need to buy a new power supply or can I used the one that comes in the starter set?

I am buying all C-Track because this is a floor layout. It will be setup when I want to play with them and then broken down when I am finished (the curse of apartment living).
-Is C-Track as long as I am gentle with it, durable enough for that?
-One thing I love about marklin and the new digital stuff is that the decoder and the motor can be installed into the switch and I do not have to run on wires around the layout to the switches, does marklin make Semaphores that are designed to "plug into C track" where I can power them off the track and place the decoder to control them in (under) the track as well? If so would someone mind linking one to me?

Any suggestions you guys can think of would be great. I am literally just starting out after taking a break for about 8 years form o-scale, so any "hey you should get this sooner rather then later" or "hey don't buy that" or my personal favorite that I learned the hard way in o-scale "You probably should have bought atlas track".
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by me2621a
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 27 December 2013 09:46:25(UTC)
H0

Hi, Sam,
Welcome to the forum.

With an MS2 you can run between 1 and 6 trains - that depends on the trains and on the speed. Three trains without lights should be no problem. Three trains should also work if one or two trains have coaches with LEDs.

Recent C track lasts very long. Tracks from 2001 and earlier became brittle and break easily.
I use my tracks for our monthly club meetings and no real issues (one part broke off but I think the source of the problem was between the ears and not with the track). Treat them as you should and nothing will break off.

You will need a new power supply for the CS2.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline waorb  
#6 Posted : 27 December 2013 11:12:13(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   
Hello Me26... errr... Sam!

Welcome! Cool

My vote is... both of them. They are completely diferent engines...

But, since only two exclusive options are available, I'll vote for the BR53.

I have 2 of them. 3702/3602 BR53 grey livery, with black head and tub-style tender (see my avatar), and the pretty new 37020 BR53 all-black with condensation tender.

In my case, since I don't have a BR59, I choose that one to buy.
In your case, without both, I choose the BR53.

Best regards,

Walter
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 27 December 2013 13:22:29(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Sam,

There is a whole new range of Marklin signals that have their own decoders incorporated in them, and work with mfx too, so you don't need to program them. If you get a new CS2 you should have no trouble registering them on it.

You can find them on the Marklin database:

http://www.maerklin.com/...;catalogue=0&submit=
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline me2621a  
#8 Posted : 30 December 2013 06:31:49(UTC)
me2621a

United States   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Hi Sam,

There is a whole new range of Marklin signals that have their own decoders incorporated in them, and work with mfx too, so you don't need to program them. If you get a new CS2 you should have no trouble registering them on it.

You can find them on the Marklin database:

http://www.maerklin.com/...;catalogue=0&submit=

Thanks those looks pretty cool. I will have to check them out when I am ready for my next order.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#9 Posted : 22 September 2016 04:19:54(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Can you give us a name we can call you? me2621a sounds more like a part number!

I'm a bit late to the party here, but for aviation buffs, the me262 was of course the world's first combat jet fighter aircraft! I suspect that me262-1a is a variant number.

http://worldwar2database.com/gallery/wwii0102
Offline foumaro  
#10 Posted : 22 September 2016 08:46:25(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I have the 37054 and i vote for her.Amazing locomotive,equipped with the better motor marklin ever made.Go for her,the 37054 model have a very nice display case in order to protect the locomotive.ThumpUp
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by foumaro