Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline NS1200  
#1 Posted : 07 September 2016 19:21:39(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Who thinks collecting Marklin trains is a sound investment still?

I certainly have come to the conclusion it is not.

Marklin wishes to make us believe that collecting Marklin trains is like collecting golden Krugerrands.
However,the current economic climate is such that apparently no one is eager to buy older Marklin trains at premium prices,it is bargaining all the way down.
Over recent months i have tried to sell some of my older M stuff on internet,to no avail.
The only people reacting are bargain hunters who have no real love for trains.
Same for the Swarovski crystal collection on sale by my wife,comments made that demand has fallen away completely,we have to accept the offer made or burst.

All in all i have come to the conclusion that collecting trains is a nice hobby to keep you busy,but that is about it.

Would be nice to hear your views.
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline utkan  
#2 Posted : 07 September 2016 19:28:44(UTC)
utkan

Turkey   
Every single Maerklin I have bought is just for my pleasure. I have never thought of selling them while buying them. I will never think as long as I live. When I go away, it is others' problem...Cool
Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you...
thanks 26 users liked this useful post by utkan
Offline waltklatt  
#3 Posted : 07 September 2016 19:40:08(UTC)
waltklatt

United States   
Same with me, but sometimes we change our minds as our interests change.
Wife was collecting Hummels for a while and then lost interest. Buying them is easy, but selling them is difficult.
Always sell at a loss, unless you have something that is hot and always in demand.
Sometimes you come across a good deal, the key is patience.
I have been hunting for a Crocodile from Marklin in green for a while, but no luck yet at the right price.
Patience is key here.

I am also selling off my collection of Mercedes parts and toy cars, but often at a lower price than I want.

But it's better to sell them than to have them sit and take up space, when you can sell for some money that you can use elsewhere.

Also selling part of my Marklin/mixed train collection, as my interest is in SBB alpine setting.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by waltklatt
Offline madhu.gn.71  
#4 Posted : 07 September 2016 19:44:11(UTC)
madhu.gn.71

India   
So far I have had a decent return on these investment-happiness:-)
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by madhu.gn.71
Offline Mark_1602  
#5 Posted : 07 September 2016 21:21:17(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
Hi,

Collecting Märklin trains is definitely not a sound investment from an economic point of view, but losses and cost can be reduced to the minimum if buyers choose models which are rare and which fans will have a lasting interest in. In the 1990s I burned a lot of money on Märklin, but in the last few years I've made better choices, so whenever I sell some items now, I don't lose a lot. I've also reduced the scope of my Märklin collection and now prefer old analogue models to cut the overall cost of the hobby as I have two small kids and need to buy a house for my family.

The very expensive limited series that Märklin is churning out nowadays are suitable for fans who can easily afford to pay those prices and will never have to sell their collection. Unfortunately model railroading has become a hobby for the upper middle class, whereas in the 1960s, 70s and 80s it was accessible to a majority of the population. Many of today's kids have parents who couldn't afford to buy them model trains even if they wanted to, and most Märklin users who can still afford overpriced special models now probably don't have any small kids ...

Best regards,

Marc
Best regards, Mark

I like Märklin items produced in the 1960s or early '70s, but also digital locos & current rolling stock.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Mark_1602
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 07 September 2016 21:27:35(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I'm with Mehmet on this. I don't plan to sell any of my Marklin trains.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline kimballthurlow  
#7 Posted : 07 September 2016 21:44:34(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Over the last few months I have noticed a trend for Marklin items on eBay Europe.
Items, which would in the past sell in a few weeks, are still there after 2 monthss.
Whether a price reduction might make a difference, I certainly don't know.

Model trains (except for very few and particular examples) are never a capitalist investment.

regards
kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline nitramretep  
#8 Posted : 07 September 2016 21:47:05(UTC)
nitramretep

United States   
Toys are never a good investment, they are for playing with! I know three people who "invested" in toy trains and after the last economic bomb they lost their shirts or at least barely broke even. I have Marklin HO and several live steam Gauge One pieces, I consider them all to be toys and NOT investments. I buy the rolling stock and locos I like, not for long term investment. Gold is a good investment though.

Last year I went to live steam meeting and someone with a very expensive Aster loc was hit, head on, by a child playing with their RC loco. The guy had a fit and was really upset, but the kids know no better and, in fact,the trains are toys! The Aster owner no longer understands that and spends his time running with his blood pressure boiling away.

The only locomotive that was a good investment was on the BBC Antiques Roadshow, someone brought a brand new Marklin live steam loco, still in its original crate and wrapping paper from around 1928. It was mint and worth more than I can remember.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by nitramretep
Offline petestra  
#9 Posted : 07 September 2016 22:00:07(UTC)
petestra

United States   
I have loved my Märklin trains for several decades and I have no desire to sell them. I have never had children so I have inventoried my trains

and I keep adding to the list as I buy new items. My heirs know what to do when I'm gone. Peter. Mellow
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by petestra
Offline Rwill  
#10 Posted : 07 September 2016 22:20:03(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Although I try to look after things, my M collection could never be described as any better than play worn and that's fine and I too never foresee selling my collection whilst alive and kicking.

However it does worry me slightly that my collection would almost be certainly sold by my heirs with no knowledge whatsoever about likely values - and the well known vultures circle in just such circumstances making relatively poor job lot offers then putting up the "rare collectables" in auction sites and trying to make a killing.

I would almost suggest that some scheme where Marklin Users Net could be appointed as a "trustee" in such circumstances!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline Hoffmann  
#11 Posted : 07 September 2016 22:27:16(UTC)
Hoffmann

Canada   

As a former collector of many things ( Gramophones, Records, Coins, Stamps etc, ) I never collected Marklin as an investment. Having played with Marklin trains since the 1950 all the now collectable Items where

played with or giving away to a cousin who had less. As a former Dealer many elderly Customer tried to sell there Items since the Kids showed no interest .

This is now happening more and more but look at the bright side Your I-Phone You payed $ 600.00 for is worth nothing in a few Years but you can still play with your Trains.

Martin
marklin-eh
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Hoffmann
Offline dominator  
#12 Posted : 07 September 2016 22:31:31(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Marklin is not a financial investment, it is an investment in lifestyle.

Eg. as an example on the one hand, the 48924 Homan Dissen set a question was asked about some time ago cost me $129.95 in about 2000. A set sold last month for $70.00 and several months earlier another set sold for about the same price. That's a 46% reduction in value, not including inflation.

One the other hand, I still own it, and the 2 bottles of Malt whisky I might have bought with the same money, would not exist now.

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by dominator
Offline Collector  
#13 Posted : 07 September 2016 22:57:19(UTC)
Collector

Originally Posted by: NS1200 Go to Quoted Post

Marklin wishes to make us believe that collecting Marklin trains is like collecting golden Krugerrands.
However,the current economic climate is such that apparently no one is eager to buy older Marklin trains at premium prices,it is bargaining all the way down.
Over recent months i have tried to sell some of my older M stuff on internet,to no avail.
The only people reacting are bargain hunters who have no real love for trains.
Same for the Swarovski crystal collection on sale by my wife,comments made that demand has fallen away completely,we have to accept the offer made or burst.

All in all i have come to the conclusion that collecting trains is a nice hobby to keep you busy,but that is about it.

Well I guess I am one of the bargain hunters then Blushing but I do have a love for Marklin trains. Don't buy to sell at a profit. That said, after 30 years out of it, I am learning quickly, I think.

I think I paid 180 euros for that Krokodil which was discussed in the other thread. Now I think it looked to be in very good shape and I don't know if you would consider this a bargain.

I have seen some Krokodils offered at 450+ and I just much rather spend the difference on MORE locomotives!!

Would never consider selling the items I have from 30 years ago. In fact I have been hunting for another 3047 just so that I don't have to run my original anymore so it can stay exactly like it is......

It seems that given patience and eBay alerts you can find just about anything at a low price.

I am certainly not paying 450-650 for some current "one time series" steam locomotives.

Paid less than 80 euros for a 3615 with a smoke generator and in very good shape. Seems not many were bidding. Bargain? I think so, investment? No. But buying that way at least assures that if anyone ever sells it off, I don't expect it to sell for much less than I paid for it. I don't expect to be that seller!

In 8 months time I expect I will hit 50 locomotives at probably less than 120 on average
DRG/DB/SBB Epoche II/III/IV
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Collector
Offline vnangli  
#14 Posted : 08 September 2016 01:20:22(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
Well, this is purely my point of view..I request none be offended.
First thing - if one starts a "Hobby", it is meant or expected to keep one happy...If the return on "Investment" is starting to bother you at some point of time, then all the satisfaction you got during the hobby time is no worth...
Now, if your are starting a hobby for making money then you may be in for some disappointments for you will neither enjoy the hobby nor make money because your hobby may not be my hobby to easily sell..

Philosophy apart, I have been able to sell my items with moderate success when I have priced them at a mark that I would be ready to pay...And I have been successful... Now, I am also prepared to be not disappointed if I don't sell them. Because, I bought what impressed me the most..

Thoughts welcome...
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by vnangli
Offline PhillipL  
#15 Posted : 08 September 2016 01:59:39(UTC)
PhillipL

United States   
I have been in the model train hobby for over 20 years. I never did it as investment but rather as something I just enjoy. I am relatively new to Marklin and to be honest everything I have is from the
"Start Up" line. I really enjoy running trains and adding buildings to my village. I always felt that if I wanted to use my hobby as an investment, I would buy high-end limited edition trains that I would be afraid to open the box or gasp! add detailing pieces because it would decrease the value. What fun would that be? Besides, if I accidentally break a model, it is not the end of the world!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by PhillipL
Offline analogmike  
#16 Posted : 08 September 2016 03:28:08(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
I have been playing with Marklins since I was in diapers. About 50 years.
The way I look at it is that I am investing in my happiness.
What's my favorite train? The next one I'm gonna buy.Flapper
Mikey
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline dominator  
#17 Posted : 08 September 2016 03:44:20(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Collector. Don't be afraid to run your old trains. Most of the stuff I am running now is nearly as old as me [ 65 ]. You could say it is more robust than the modern stuff.

If you want to be an investor that one thing. A hobby is another. I didn't buy my Marklin with the idea of making a profit nor did I buy my Nortons to make a profit [ though the first one I bought is now worth 10 times or more what I paid for it ] I was once told you cant make money out of your hobby. If you want to make money, its not your hobby.

I have bought to collect some items I must admit. They are still in their boxes, had b-all use and are like new including the boxes, but it does piss me off to see their value has dropped so much. Better to buy second hand than new ones. Marklin wont like that though. Tough.

Dereck
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dominator
Offline baggio  
#18 Posted : 08 September 2016 03:45:35(UTC)
baggio

Canada   

I have never thought that buying trains, Marklin or otherwise, was an "investment" in a financial sense.

If the trains run and make you a little happier (they do this for me, usually, anyway), then it's sound investment. But money-wise, never.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by baggio
Offline baggio  
#19 Posted : 08 September 2016 03:50:06(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: petestra Go to Quoted Post
My heirs know what to do when I'm gone. Peter.

Do they have my name and address? LOL
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by baggio
Offline dominator  
#20 Posted : 08 September 2016 03:53:48(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Baggio, With a birth year of 1903, why are you still here, let alone waiting to buy Peters Marklin when he has gone.

Dereck
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dominator
Offline mike c  
#21 Posted : 08 September 2016 06:00:47(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
If you have Maerklin trains and you add a sound decoder, that definitely constitutes an investment.
I had a number of RailTop OBB coaches which were acquired for around 50 EUR each. At the peak, these were on ebay for 300-500 per coach. Today, with the release of the ACME versions, I expect that my models no longer have the sky high values that they gained due to the relative scarcity of the models. I never planned on retiring on that revenue and I plan to keep my coaches, so I still get enjoyment and satisfaction, but I never saw them as an investment. My trains are memory aids, reminding me of trains I have been on or seen on trips to Europe (primarily Switzerland).

Just my two cents

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline river6109  
#22 Posted : 08 September 2016 07:10:49(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I've been saying this for years and a matter of fact, a German Auctioneer and previous a restorer, Georg Brockmann had told me this years ago unless you've got pre war and the occasional special loco the rest is loosing value like anything else. I'm most probably like the rest, I don't collect (as I have done previously) my trains are there to be enjoyed and are operated in a model train environment. I bought a few trains as an investment (3174) and this was a disaster, they've lost value instead of increasing in value, at the time I thought, it got a chance because of the paint difficulties Märklin experienced and there had been some variations.

another failure to gain value has been the internet, whereas you advertise your loco in an auction usually starting at Euro 0.99 and I would only recommend to do this when the item is thought after, otherwise you could finish up getting Euro 5 for it.

if you want to run it as an investment, just get a bargain (auction) and than sell it on as a fixed price, this is if you've got the time to do it and you've got nothing else to do.

doesn't look like the ones who see it as an investment haven't had their 2 cents say

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline NS1200  
#23 Posted : 08 September 2016 07:52:52(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Thank you gentlemen for all your valuable comments.

I have never seen it as an investment but apparently Marklin are trying to make us believe it is worthwile to buy loco's in the Euro 600 plus range.

In fact,nothing much seems to be worth investing in at the moment.
Interest on a bank savings account is only 0.5 pct,our pensionfunds are struggling to get some return on investment,and investments in shipping (co ownership) are disastreous.
The only safe place seems to be gold,but is it?

I will keep buying Marklin at a modest pace,just for fun.

Cheers,

Paul
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline Collector  
#24 Posted : 08 September 2016 14:09:02(UTC)
Collector

Originally Posted by: dominator Go to Quoted Post
Collector. Don't be afraid to run your old trains. Most of the stuff I am running now is nearly as old as me [ 65 ]. You could say it is more robust than the modern stuff.

Better to buy second hand than new ones. Marklin wont like that though. Tough.

Dereck

Dereck,

I could not get myself to slaughter my old trains for a conversion to digital.That they are robust enough to still run, no doubt!

Would agree on that second hand stuff particularly steam engines. Even then look at the sold items after you do an ebay search and you will see that patience is what is needed and items can be bought for MUCH less, price difference can be huge compared to buy it now.

Mike
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Collector
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#25 Posted : 08 September 2016 15:06:22(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
A few bits of advice to avoid big hits down the road:

- Buy used. (or even lightly used) Like a new car, new marklin is of course going to depreciate. This has saved me a fortune, and I only very rarely buy new when its something I "must have" and right away!

- Don't sink a lot of money into what you have: sound decoder conversions and the like get expensive. only do it if you are going to run a lot, and really get the value out of the input/upgrade/lighting kit/whatever. Basically think of the additions as money you wont' get back but enjoy

- Don't buy what you don't really like or need. Sounds simple, but we are all guilty of it. I don't need a bunch of crocodiles, but I *ahem* may have a few more than that... Blushing Flapper This one I need to work on!

Just have fun and remember if it were golf you would never get the money back...
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline rbw993  
#26 Posted : 08 September 2016 18:16:28(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
In my view most collectibles, toy trains, cars and probably even art lose their value over time. Unless as in the case of fine art they are one of a kind works of importance. In my observations I see that people collect what they couldn't have but wanted when they were young. So the prime time for collectible values is when those who collect them are in their prime earning years and competing for the no longer made items. Then as the collectors age and die off the collectible values fall except for the truly rare mint items. A good example the market pre-war tinplate prewar trains in the USA. It is very hard to move the "good" condition items.

Regards,
Roger
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline Minok  
#27 Posted : 09 September 2016 01:01:09(UTC)
Minok

United States   

Collecting anything as an investment is always a gamble. Precious metals are somewhat reliable over the long term, and gold coins can be trade because they will be recognizable for what they are and their value by the general population. If you buy things more particular, the pool of people who value that and would exchange, say cash currency for your investment vehicle (no pun intended) shrinks.

Stocks, for example, also an investment and can go up or down, and only trade-able on exchanges typically. Try finding someone to give you market value for a stock certificate if you can even get one these days.

If something so specific as hobby items have already acquired value as a collector items, then there is some reasonable believe the price would go up on the assumption that there are no more of them out there (because only collectors of that category put any value on it). Show up with a rare comic book and try to use it to barter an airline ticket at the ticket counter and see what happens. But sure, an Action Comics first appearance of Superman has value - but its in a sealed container never to be played with and must be ceritfied, etc to sell if your smart. Where's the fun in that.

For model trains, or anything that isn't already valuable, if you are investing then you are really gambling, like the music labels do. You buy cars and locomotives in hopes that as a whole, over the long term, some will appreciate in value more than the rest depreciate in value, so the entire collection is worth more in the future. But of course only a train collector will care to buy it.

My, I treat model trains like any other hobby, the money I spend is gone, and I get to enjoy the products to play with them (I never keep my toys in the boxes). If at some point I can sell them and get anything back, that's a bonus, though ideally I'll enjoy my trains for the rest of my life and whomever has to resolve my estate after I kick the bucket will have to liquidate or transfer that train set to someone.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline dickinsonj  
#28 Posted : 09 September 2016 01:57:53(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
The money that I have in the stock market has done much better than the money that I have invested in my Märklins. But those are just numbers in a database and in the long run, who really cares?

My Märklin trains make me smile each and every time that I see and run them. Put your life savings into stocks and then later into bonds. Put your fun money into your trains and then enjoy your life. That is what model railroading is really all about.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline baggio  
#29 Posted : 09 September 2016 02:28:38(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
The money that I have in the stock market has done much better than the money that I have invested in my Märklins.

Please give us details of where you put your money so we, too, can make some and buy more trains! LOL
Offline dickinsonj  
#30 Posted : 09 September 2016 03:05:49(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post

Please give us details of where you put your money so we, too, can make some and buy more trains! LOL
My money is in a plain old American 401k retirement plan, invested with Vanguard.

The stock market almost always goes up over time - people are just too short sighted to wait until it pays off. Confused They panic and sell when it is low instead of buying.

Lucky people like me mine them for the difference and then use the money to buy trains!Cool

Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline grnwtrs  
#31 Posted : 09 September 2016 03:39:40(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
Stay with John Bogle !

My son bought his book in 1993, I could not afford the expenditure then,
but I have done well slowly!!

I sleep well, and have time to take a couple a fliers every now and then.

Best regrars,bestes

Offline dominator  
#32 Posted : 09 September 2016 09:37:08(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
collector. Shit man, don't convert your old onesConfused . use the 2 systems seperatelyLaugh BigGrin .

Baggio. Buy dirt. [ and i mean dirt you can rent out ] those people are called Property INVESTORSBigGrin BigGrin .

Dont put money in the bankConfused Confused . use the banks money to buy more dirtGlare . Your wife is probably wrongCryingBlushing . All your friends areBlink .

Advice is worth what you pay for itHuh . well free advice usually isMad Huh .

Signed Ray CrockCool , Julian RobinsonCool etcera etcetra

Is Marklin a toyFlapper ?

ps not being funnyCool
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dominator
Offline Minok  
#33 Posted : 09 September 2016 21:25:46(UTC)
Minok

United States   
The money that I have in the stock market has done much better than the money that I have invested in my Märklins. But those are just numbers in a database and in the long run, who really cares?

My Märklin trains make me smile each and every time that I see and run them.

Yup, indeed. I always say that the worst purchase I ever made was the best. I spent a good amount of money on a Porsche Targa configured just the way I wanted it all my life.. And that sucker depreciates every year. I don't think about the thousands of dollars that its worth less this year than last year. Every time I look at it or start that engine, it brings such joy and a smile.. and thats so worth it.
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Collector  
#34 Posted : 09 September 2016 23:34:48(UTC)
Collector

Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post

Yup, indeed. I always say that the worst purchase I ever made was the best. I spent a good amount of money on a Porsche Targa configured just the way I wanted it all my life.. And that sucker depreciates every year. I don't think about the thousands of dollars that its worth less this year than last year. Every time I look at it or start that engine, it brings such joy and a smile.. and thats so worth it.

What year is it? If it is air cooled then it is on its way up again!
Offline Eurobahnfan  
#35 Posted : 10 September 2016 19:04:50(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
I have trains that have appreciated somewhat, although most have not. But that's not the main reason I rarely buy anything new anymore, with very few exceptions: there's just too much nice stuff out there from the past and -- call me old fashioned -- analog loks from the 50's through the 70's have a certain charm (not to mention the smell of ozone coming off an open frame motor!)

With that said, I didn't get into the hobby as an investment vehicle: I have other resources for that. Let's face it... in the end, the value of a train is in the mind of the owner/seller and potential buyer. I have overpaid for some trains, and underpaid for others. In the end, I figure it's all pretty much a wash. (I do have insurance on my collection just the same, though.)
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Eurobahnfan
Offline NS1200  
#36 Posted : 10 September 2016 19:25:23(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Only 5 tinplate Marklin USA boxcars for me to go before winter settles in.
If better times arrive next spring i might go for the 39205,who knows.

Cheers,

Paul
Offline mikemasey  
#37 Posted : 10 September 2016 23:50:57(UTC)
mikemasey

Australia   
As with most people here I have been with Marklin since I was a small boy some 40 years ago. Most of my trains are all second hand with a lot of tin plate wagons, all play worn some more than others! The joy for me is the "Train set" look that these all give, as it is a Toy. I have, in the past sold some of my extra stock most at a small loss. They all went to a good home and don't just sit in a box at my place. Marklin an investment it isn't but endless joy it is.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by mikemasey
Offline Timnomads  
#38 Posted : 12 September 2016 13:36:02(UTC)
Timnomads

Switzerland   
Hi all
My marklin trains are an investment in my SANITY, I have a high pressure job and it is my relaxation to run the trains. When you are running trains your mind is totally involved in the models. A doctor costs 200 chf an hour. Its much cheaper to buy marklin.BigGrin
Tim
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by Timnomads
Offline Darren W  
#39 Posted : 12 September 2016 21:08:55(UTC)
Darren W

Canada   
I bought a starter set back in 2006 and started my Marklin adventure. I picked up a few items after that but not much. Then a few years later I bought an extensive collection of older Marklin from a gentleman leaving the hobby at a great price. Sadly due personal and financial problems I sold my Marklin collection during a very dark time in my life. The extra money I made selling the bigger collection in pieces I believe I broke even with all my Marklin purchases. So no it was not an investment but a hobby.

Life has improved and I am now hoping to start collecting Marklin again. BigGrin

Darren
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Darren W
Offline Dave Banks  
#40 Posted : 12 September 2016 21:44:26(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Tim I would have to agree with you on that. I have a bus company & having Marklin trains definitely takes my mine off the mainstream everyday hassles & relaxes me enormously.I have one other hobby that does similar but for only maybe 40 minutes or so & on the odd occasion when I do some bus trips & have a bit of time to fill in while waiting for customers I take my DJI Phantom 3 Advanced quad copter / drone & go to a sports oval or park & fly it around for a while. Life does not have to be all about work. Play is important for one's sanity & Marklin definitely does it for me & money / investment isn't everything. BigGrin
D.A.Banks
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Dave Banks
Offline GlennM  
#41 Posted : 12 September 2016 21:55:02(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
I buy trains for fun, for relaxation, for my retirement (not as investment but to play with), and as a hobby. I do not expect to make any money out of them, and they give me a lot of pleasure.

It sure beats the hell out of going to the pub everynight, or taking various chemicals.

But the thing I value most is the Marklin friends I have mostly made through this Forum. Thanks Juhan ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline waltklatt  
#42 Posted : 12 September 2016 22:30:07(UTC)
waltklatt

United States   
Like I said, it's all in the person owning the trains.

I love the idea that many of you have the trains for pleasure and 'de-stressing' yourselves by playing with the trains.

When growing up, my father introduced me to the Marklin train world.

I was born to parents who had just finished building their house 2 years before and one room(future sister) was for the trains.
Father would invite his like minded train friends over and they would smoke cigars and drink beer and play the trains.
This went on for 3 years before my sister arrived. Father had to pack the train away in boxes and I cried.......
Eventually I forgave my sister for ruining my fun and gave her my security blanket.

I have always had that image in mind of the wheels and linkages on the steam locomotives moving.

That's my outlet for 'de-stress' for me.

Still is with my small Noch layout resting on the hardtop of my other hobby(Mercedes 1967 230SL).

Both are a work in progress.

Investment, is not important now, but having fun is!

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by waltklatt
Offline Minok  
#43 Posted : 13 September 2016 00:16:53(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: Collector Go to Quoted Post

Yeah, no its not the old ones of the air-cooled era. Having removable panels never appealed to me - things to loose plus the manual steps and stowage. Plus I like some of the niceties of modern automotive technology like: 1) Air Conditioning, 2) Satellite Navigation (try finding an address in the Seattle area by hand), and 4) Stability Management (to keep me rubber side down on the asphalt without having to first become an expert driver). So I picked up a modern water-cooled one with the very large sunroof variety (MY 2009). I can open and close the large sliding Targa roof at road speeds, its just a giant glass sunroof. It makes the inside feel so much bigger (light gets in), and while its heavier up top, the AWD systems make it rock solid on the road, even in the wet and snow. As Porsche went to a complex hinged roof system that looks more like the old water-cooled days when opened, the one I have could appreciate again some day. Its got the non-electrical steering and a 6 spd manual gearbox, so thats a plus too. But I doubt I'll ever get the value out... the value I extract, as I mentioned, is in the happiness I get just from seeing it in the garage, not to mention the smile when that engine turns over, or I can open the roof out on the highway.
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Collector  
#44 Posted : 13 September 2016 03:39:42(UTC)
Collector

Originally Posted by: Collector Go to Quoted Post

Yeah, no its not the old ones of the air-cooled era. Having removable panels never appealed to me - things to loose plus the manual steps and stowage. Plus I like some of the niceties of modern automotive technology like: 1) Air Conditioning, 2) Satellite Navigation (try finding an address in the Seattle area by hand), and 4) Stability Management (to keep me rubber side down on the asphalt without having to first become an expert driver). So I picked up a modern water-cooled one with the very large sunroof variety (MY 2009). I can open and close the large sliding Targa roof at road speeds, its just a giant glass sunroof. It makes the inside feel so much bigger (light gets in), and while its heavier up top, the AWD systems make it rock solid on the road, even in the wet and snow. As Porsche went to a complex hinged roof system that looks more like the old water-cooled days when opened, the one I have could appreciate again some day. Its got the non-electrical steering and a 6 spd manual gearbox, so thats a plus too. But I doubt I'll ever get the value out... the value I extract, as I mentioned, is in the happiness I get just from seeing it in the garage, not to mention the smile when that engine turns over, or I can open the roof out on the highway.

Was at the dealer a few months ago and I found that in the 991 the visibility, for me, is just bad news. Found the 997 much better from that point of view ThumpUp Some other sports cars I tried resembled looking out through a letter box.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Collector
Offline rbw993  
#45 Posted : 13 September 2016 22:46:30(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
I have a 997 (after having a 993) and love the car. Loved the 993 too but except for the sound don't miss it. I thought about trading in the 997 and the dealer offered me $25,000. Haven't been back since. Also found the new cars to have too many systems - even does the heel/toe throttle blip!

Roger
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline dominator  
#46 Posted : 13 September 2016 23:11:22(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
The pleasure[ investment ] is in the playing, and the looking. and especially when a new present arrives in the mail. Its nice to act like a little boy again once in a while. FD just throws her eyes in the air though.

As for the porches, I have all round visibility on my Nortons, and they might give those cars a run for their money acceleration wise [ maybe ] . The 850 nearly kept up with a late model ferrari earlier this year.

Dereck
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dominator
Offline dickinsonj  
#47 Posted : 14 September 2016 01:25:17(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: dominator Go to Quoted Post
The pleasure[ investment ] is in the playing, and the looking. and especially when a new present arrives in the mail. Its nice to act like a little boy again once in a while. FD just throws her eyes in the air though.Dereck
I love sports cars and sports bikes and I always seem to have something fun hanging around. BigGrin

I really like the bang for the buck though that I get with my trains. I also love the days when the postal truck comes up my lane and it has presents for me! I feel just like a kid at Christmas and that is beyond price for me as an adult!

I guess I can ignore their eventual value, since I don't intend to ever sell them. The nephew who I am going to eventually leave them to can handle that part. Cool
Regards,
Jim

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Online HO Collector  
#48 Posted : 16 October 2016 20:48:18(UTC)
HO Collector

United Kingdom   

My collection goes back to when I was 3 years old, i.e. late 1950's. Over the years I bought more models, some depreciated by 60%. I have X2 of the rare 3025 model, both are boxed and have their stickers and manuals. About 12 years ago one of them was included in the Sotheby's model trains auction that is being held by Christmas, the offer didn't reach the reserve price. So No, I don't think that they are a good investment.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by HO Collector
Offline baggio  
#49 Posted : 16 October 2016 21:06:27(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: HO Collector Go to Quoted Post
the offer didn't reach the reserve price.

If you don't mind, what was the "reserve price'? If it's too personal a question, I apologize and please do not state it.

However, would you have a picture of the loco?

I am not planning to buy it, but I like to see what it is we are talking about.

BigGrin
Online HO Collector  
#50 Posted : 16 October 2016 21:24:19(UTC)
HO Collector

United Kingdom   
I think that the reserve was £950 and the highest bid was £750.
I haven't got a photo (X1 is boxed and the other is inside the coffee table together with the Swiss Croc. and the Swedish wooden set and some other). For a best phot just Google Marklin 3025, you will get many high quality photos and some videos.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by HO Collector