Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ShannonN  
#1 Posted : 04 September 2016 12:17:35(UTC)
ShannonN

Australia   
Hi All
Just finished building my 4 x 8 table and am raring to get it happening. However, I will need some cheap rolling stock to help complete the theme layout and industries I have planned. Looking on eBay aust, I'm seeing some Lima, Fleischman stuff also Bachman.

Some sellers have indicated that other brands are being sold as its not compatible with their Marklin layout.

As a total noob to HO and Marklin I'm kinda worried. Can some kind soul tell me why some stuff isn't compatible, like to me its all HO scale , even if its metal wheels, 3 rail track carries no voltage across outer rails - only the central pins are powered? So shouldn't short out anything.
I should point out I'm using 3 rail multiple starter kit C-track system
Cheers for your advice,

Shanny

Offline xxup  
#2 Posted : 04 September 2016 12:51:20(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Part of the problem is the dimension of the DC wheels themselves.. Even if you can get them to work on your track, there is the problem of using them with contact tracks - if you have them on your layout..

In some cases, the solution is as simple as replacing the wheels with Marklin equivalents.. Where the wheels are part of a bogie, the problem is more difficult, but not impossible to fix.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline kimballthurlow  
#3 Posted : 04 September 2016 21:52:05(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Shannon,
Adrian has summed it up nicely.
I have Liliput, Fleischmann, Roco and Jouef on my layout.
Not in all, but in many cases I have had to modify the stock to run properly.

This can be for a variety of reasons, including how well bogies pivot for R1 (360mm radius) track, coupling issues, and wheel profile not suiting C track.
You just have to learn from experience.

I can say that both Fleischmann and Roco seem to be less of a problem.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline danmarklinman  
#4 Posted : 06 September 2016 22:00:03(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: ShannonN Go to Quoted Post
Hi All
Just finished building my 4 x 8 table and am raring to get it happening. However, I will need some cheap rolling stock to help complete the theme layout and industries I have planned. Looking on eBay aust, I'm seeing some Lima, Fleischman stuff also Bachman.

Some sellers have indicated that other brands are being sold as its not compatible with their Marklin layout.

As a total noob to HO and Marklin I'm kinda worried. Can some kind soul tell me why some stuff isn't compatible, like to me its all HO scale , even if its metal wheels, 3 rail track carries no voltage across outer rails - only the central pins are powered? So shouldn't short out anything.
I should point out I'm using 3 rail multiple starter kit C-track system
Cheers for your advice,

Hi
This is a personal taste thing as well, to me anyhow. There are a great many makes out there. Most are labelled NEM standard. This amuses me and it seems to be each manufacturer has there own indervidual standard😱
I have tried a few makes apart from Marklin. They have all needed, some sought of ajustment. Turning to yourself. Try a different make, be aware that wheels and couplers may need changing. I will not bother myself, changing from Marklin again, as I was disappointed. Because there range both in today's Marklin range and in the past is vast. And you can get most wagons from the modern era. And they will not derail, they will couple and will not lock buffers with the car there attached too!!
I myself have a interest in Northern France railways. Dunkirk Grand syinth yard is full of frieight cars. All but one or two, can be found from Marklin. If your happy with Marklin. Stick with it. Or not😎
Enjoy your hobby, cheers Dan
Shanny

Edited by moderator 07 September 2016 12:07:15(UTC)  | Reason: Fixed missing end quote

Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline Webmaster  
#5 Posted : 06 September 2016 22:03:05(UTC)
Webmaster

If the electricity issue with M contact track (rail shortening for indication) is not of importance, most Roco & Fleischmann works very well.
However, be a bit aware regarding Liliput/Bachmann since some models may have finer (smaller flanges) and thus less compatible wheels.
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline kimballthurlow  
#6 Posted : 06 September 2016 22:39:47(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
..... aware regarding Liliput/Bachmann since some models may have finer (smaller flanges) and thus less compatible wheels.

These brands and Brawa can often be troublesome.
As in the bogie pivot point is too low, so locking the bogie in tight curves, and derailing itself and the following car.
Buffers are often a different height to Marklin, the design being too literal, so buffers lock causing similar derailment issues.

Marklin put more design effort into alleviating compatibility and running issues, and I never have problems with that brand of stock.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 06 September 2016 23:05:59(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I have several Liliput wagons on which I've changed the wheelsets to the AC versions and they run just fine now on my C track. The same can be said of many Piko wagons I own.

On the other hand I have many Roco and Lima wagons that give no problems on their original wheels. Trix items will also run fine, as one would expect.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline dominator  
#8 Posted : 07 September 2016 01:11:14(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
I agree with the comments above. I bought several Lima bogie coaches and wagons a few years ago. They were all a problem on the points so apon close examination i found moving the wheels closer together on the axle [ as discussed at length on this forum ] they worked better, but I still have to tweak the guide rail on all points to stop derailing. The Lima flange are narrower [ thinner ] than Marklin the flanges appear to be the same diameter [ so they trundle through the points ok without dipping down.

I think the cost of cheap wagons added to the cost of replacement wheels >= than the price of a good deal on the internet. You just have to be patient.

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dominator
Offline Harryv40  
#9 Posted : 07 September 2016 09:59:50(UTC)
Harryv40

United Kingdom   
Hello All
I think we need to clarify the two issues highlighted in this post.
One is the issue of derailment because of the wheelsets sizes and secondly possible shorting out of DC wheelsets on AC Marklin track.

At Gaugemaster show I purchased some Roco wagons not think about the issues of DC wheelsets, I e mailed them and was told I should not have any problems. However I also purchased a Roco tracking cleaning car to run on my Marklin layout and found anything less than a slowish speed causes derailments on some of the points.

Harry
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Harryv40
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 07 September 2016 10:23:10(UTC)
H0

Actually there are three potential problems I can think of.

Wheel spacing can be a problem. Trix, Roco and Fleischmann DC wheel sets work for me (on C track), but Liliput and Piko DC wheel sets lead to derailments.

DC wheel sets will not work with contact tracks (s88 or level crossings).

Couplers and buffers can be a problem. The Märklin close coupler is too high and leads to derailments with long coaches and long freight cars.
See also:
http://blog.mailez.de/eb...-couplers-for-h0-models/

I don't need contact tracks and do not replace the DC wheel sets on my Trix, Roco or Fleischmann rolling stock.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline hxmiesa  
#11 Posted : 07 September 2016 11:47:51(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
You must meassure the inner spacing between wheels. It will work well with 14mm (13,9mm).
There is a good chance that most of your waggons will work flawlessly after you adjust this spacing!

But still it is quite a jungle, as most ppl here has already mentioned; No conduction over rails, different geometry of the wheels profile, clearance of coupler between the buffers, etc...)
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline RayF  
#12 Posted : 07 September 2016 12:19:27(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Some wagon types are just not available from Marklin, so being able to use other brands makes for good variety.

If you want to stick to what Marklin produce you will never have problems (in theory) with wheels or couplers, but sometimes it's worth taking the risk on another brand to get something a bit different.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.