Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#51 Posted : 24 August 2016 13:54:58(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Moritz-BR365 Go to Quoted Post
That's a saving of 5 euro per loco!

You mean a saving of 0,80€ to 1,20€ per loco! BigGrin

I guess you are talking about aftermarket cards. Marklin cards cost about 20-25 euro per pack of 5.

Yes I do. Why should I pay 5€ per card which is worth only 1€?

By the way: Brawa has started to sell loco cards, too (https://www.brawa.de/en/products/h0/locomotives/locomotive-accessories/93705-locomotive-cards/)! I don't know, why they do this. I guess, Brawa has a big fan club of Märklin users BigGrin

But the description is a bit funny:
"To store function symbols in Mfx® mode, AC versions"
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Moritz-BR365
Offline sjlauritsen  
#52 Posted : 24 August 2016 14:12:06(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
That's the point! With DCC, I can be an expert with a low level controller, without paying 500€ to map the functions and AUX ports like I want. With mfx, I have to spend much money to be an expert user.

...or if one is not into DIY solutions, one could spend 79,99 € on the decoder programmer and program the settings using the computer. I often find myself using the decoder programmer rather than the CS2 for adjusting sound schemes and features. So there is that option too.
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#53 Posted : 24 August 2016 14:21:15(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Originally Posted by: sjlauritsen Go to Quoted Post
That's the point! With DCC, I can be an expert with a low level controller, without paying 500€ to map the functions and AUX ports like I want. With mfx, I have to spend much money to be an expert user.

...or if one is not into DIY solutions, one could spend 79,99 € on the decoder programmer and program the settings using the computer. I often find myself using the decoder programmer rather than the CS2 for adjusting sound schemes and features. So there is that option too.

I thought, the soundprogrammer can only update the sound file but not other settings???

And the new USB stick doesn't work with mSD decoders but only with mSD/3 and mLD/3 decoders. Very disapointing!
Offline kiwiAlan  
#54 Posted : 24 August 2016 14:26:54(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: sjlauritsen Go to Quoted Post

I thought, the soundprogrammer can only update the sound file but not other settings???

And the new USB stick doesn't work with mSD decoders but only with mSD/3 and mLD/3 decoders. Very disapointing!

I understood one of the recent updates did make it work with earlier decoders - but I could be wrong and don't have one to test this out.

Offline biedmatt  
#55 Posted : 24 August 2016 14:51:34(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   

I've played around quite a bit with my son's entry level Bachmann DCC controller and I don't see that it has any of these "expert" features. In fact it is quite a bit more basic than a MS2.

Ah, now I think I am beginning to understand your position. You are comparing MFX to an "...entry level Bachmann DCC controller...". This would be akin to my comparing RailCom+ to a Marklin 6021. Like I said, I do not believe you know RailCom+. Your opinion is based on this DCC only controller
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline biedmatt  
#56 Posted : 25 August 2016 13:27:58(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
I had to send two mfx decoders to Märklin. They would always register with the same address and could not be controlled individually. Quality control had failed.
And I lost hours trying to figure out what was going wrong.

Hi Tom,

I do not believe the CS or ECoS display ever presents you with an actual address. I think the screen just states it's operated in MFX. M advertises this as an impossible scenario, which would make one believe it can't be happening even though your eyes and head say otherwise. How did you figure out what was going on?
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline H0  
#57 Posted : 25 August 2016 17:31:12(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post
I do not believe the CS or ECoS display ever presents you with an actual address.
The CS2 shows the mfx address (since 3.6.x or so).

Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post
How did you figure out what was going on?
Both decoders had the serial number 0xffffffff - took me months to find out.
It seems that ESU use 0xffffffff to mark deleted locos. So one magical effect: locos always disappeared from CS and MS on a reboot.

Both locos were controlled under the name that I registered first.

CS2 and MS2 did not forget the locos, but still they didn't function properly. And with both on the track they would respond at the same time.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Goofy  
#58 Posted : 25 August 2016 18:27:51(UTC)
Goofy

I was in the danish hobbystore and did asked about Märklins new digital locomotive.
They did verified that there is DCC protocol too by choice.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline Minok  
#59 Posted : 26 August 2016 01:31:15(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Sheesh, this is like going into a motor-vehicle enthusiasts board and posting a question about "Whats the best motor oil to use in my car?" ... then standing back and watching the ensuing chaos.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#60 Posted : 26 August 2016 08:55:37(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Yesterday, I had to realize, that one of my mSD decoders has an defect. It isn't recognized correctly from the CS2. Only with the MS2 I'm able to recognize it and use the basic functions. But it isn't possible to change settings and with the CS2, it isn't possible to falsh a new firmware, because it is not recognized as mfx decoder.

With DCC, I still can configure all CV variables, because DCC doesn't expect a response before I'm able to change settings.

I will send it back to Märklin, maybe they can restore the firmware.
Offline RayF  
#61 Posted : 26 August 2016 10:43:45(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Yesterday, I had to realize, that one of my mSD decoders has an defect. It isn't recognized correctly from the CS2. Only with the MS2 I'm able to recognize it and use the basic functions. But it isn't possible to change settings and with the CS2, it isn't possible to falsh a new firmware, because it is not recognized as mfx decoder.

With DCC, I still can configure all CV variables, because DCC doesn't expect a response before I'm able to change settings.

I will send it back to Märklin, maybe they can restore the firmware.

I suppose you tried all the obvious things, like a factory reset of the decoder?

"Out of the box" faults happen on electronic components, very often not even detected at the testing stage. Good luck with the replacement!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#62 Posted : 26 August 2016 11:42:00(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
I suppose you tried all the obvious things, like a factory reset of the decoder?

"Out of the box" faults happen on electronic components, very often not even detected at the testing stage. Good luck with the replacement!

Yes, I tried to reset under mfx protocol and with DCC protocol (CV8=8). The decoder works with DCC, except there is no sound! When I activate a sound function, I hear only a little noise, but not the original sound. Seems like all sound data is lost.

With mfx protocol, the decoder isn't recognized correctly with the CS2, the CS2 recognizes several new mfx locos, but doesn't finish the recognition process. The MS2 recognizes the decoder and I can drive, but no sound, too.

The decoder was in my E19 loco since several months without using it. I was very surprised, that it doesn't work like it did before.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Moritz-BR365
Offline river6109  
#63 Posted : 26 August 2016 14:35:37(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Moritz,
try a new loudspeaker.
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Goofy  
#64 Posted : 27 August 2016 07:31:33(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Moritz,
try a new loudspeaker.

If he has still warranty,he can get an new one for free charge.
H0
Offline Goofy  
#65 Posted : 28 August 2016 10:31:31(UTC)
Goofy

If you buy an Roco,Fleischmann or ESU digital locomotives for the three rail track,you will also get sound decoder to use MM,M4(ESU) or DCC protocol by choice.
Note what i did wrote...digital locomotives.
Which i mean locomotives with the sound decoder.
H0
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#66 Posted : 28 August 2016 16:47:00(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Moritz,
try a new loudspeaker.

A new loudspeaker will not help, when the decoder is damaged. It is clear, that I have tested another mSD decoder which works perfect. The same for mfx recognition. It works with the good one, but not with the damaged one.

In meantime, I send it to Märklin Service and they will check it.

Offline Moritz-BR365  
#67 Posted : 28 August 2016 21:58:44(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
I have to fess up, that there is really a big advantage of mfx compared to DCC: If You use capacitors to buffer the voltage of the decoder, this can perturb the programming of the decoder when You are using DCC. Do read or write DCC CVs often doesn't work or result wrong values.

While mfx is using a complete different method to read and write decoder settings, the buffer capacitor doesn't interfere the programming!

This is really a big advantage. Therefore, I use mfx for programming, even for buffered decoders and for mSD decoders, I run with DCC.

Regards,
Moritz