Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Normmeister  
#1 Posted : 11 August 2016 09:04:24(UTC)
Normmeister

has anyone attempted to replace the rotary encoder used in these. By that I mean the device whose shaft the big red knob sits on, and sets the loco speed. I am wondering if that is a readily available electronic part, and if so details and where from.
I have replaced several such devices in Intelliboxes so see no reason why it could not be done with the Marklin MS2

regards
Norm in Oz
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 11 August 2016 18:58:36(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Norm,

Do you have a problem with it? why do you feel you need to change it?
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Normmeister  
#3 Posted : 11 August 2016 22:55:23(UTC)
Normmeister

Hi Ray

yes there is a problem; as one rotates the knob, the response is erratic. Speed (and speed display) will increase as one turns the knob, then suddenly both will drop to zero with further turning, then erratically jump to other settings. The symptoms are exactly what one would expect from a dodgy encoder. I am presuming the encoder is the same construction as those used in the Intellibox, namely a rotary digital switch.
Offline clapcott  
#4 Posted : 11 August 2016 23:14:27(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Normmeister Go to Quoted Post
has anyone attempted to replace the rotary encoder used in these. ....

I have no first hand experience with this particular item.

I appreciate that anything mechanical may fail, however as per Rays line of inquiry, have you got the latest level of firmware?

The update last year specifically addressed at least one major issue with the interpretation of the emitter at different speeds (user rotating the knob).
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline RayF  
#5 Posted : 11 August 2016 23:28:42(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Peter,

Yes that's what I was getting at. I would try upgrading to the latest software version before attacking the hardware.
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline 3rail4life  
#6 Posted : 12 August 2016 06:47:19(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
yes, definitely try updating the software first, this problem sounds familiar, I think it may been the software around Ver. 2.3 that a bug similar to what is being described was experienced on certain units. I only saw it once so the details now escape me but hopefully an update will fix the issue.

Cheers,
Gordon
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#7 Posted : 12 August 2016 23:59:26(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Yes, the problem is known and solved with Version 2.1. There is no need to change the hardware.
Offline applor  
#8 Posted : 13 August 2016 12:22:00(UTC)
applor

Australia   
I have problems with the reversing push button function of the rotary knob to be poor.

Sometimes it clicks, sometimes it doesn't, you have to look at the screen to see if it worked.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline Normmeister  
#9 Posted : 15 August 2016 12:55:50(UTC)
Normmeister

ok I obviously should try the software upgrade first. But .......

How can I do this with no access to a Central Station (which I understand is apparently necessary).

I use an Ecos; none of my friends have a CS, nor is there any dealer in Sydney that does.

Any suggestions ?

regards
Norm.
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#10 Posted : 15 August 2016 13:07:48(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   

How can I do this with no access to a Central Station (which I understand is apparently necessary).

I use an Ecos; none of my friends have a CS, nor is there any dealer in Sydney that does.

Any suggestions ?

Hello Norm,
the easiest way seems to be to buy a new MS2 with latest Firmware version. Then, You can update Your MS2 from the new MS2. Later, You will be happy to have two MS2 ;)

Moritz

Offline RayF  
#11 Posted : 15 August 2016 17:53:31(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: Moritz-BR365 Go to Quoted Post

Any suggestions ?

Hello Norm,
the easiest way seems to be to buy a new MS2 with latest Firmware version. Then, You can update Your MS2 from the new MS2. Later, You will be happy to have two MS2 ;)

Moritz

This is exactly what I did. It seems to be an expensive way to go about updating your software, but I could think of no other way to do it.

Those who have a Marklin dealer just down the road should consider how fortunate they are.
Ray
Offline Normmeister  
#12 Posted : 16 August 2016 12:13:59(UTC)
Normmeister

Yes, the problem is known and solved with Version 2.1. There is no need to change the hardware.

The previous mail thought the problem version was 2.3. What exactly are you saying ? Was the problem version 2.1 and later versions fixed it ? Or is that a typo and you meant to say something else ?

The unit I have is version 2.3

So what was the problem version ? 2.1 or 2.3 ? Apparently the latest version is 2.5

Norm.
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#13 Posted : 16 August 2016 15:10:28(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
So what was the problem version ? 2.1 or 2.3 ? Apparently the latest version is 2.5

The problem version was as far as I know older then V2.1. V2.3 is OK and not all MS2 will update/display V2.5!

Therefore, I think, in Your case it will be a mechanical problem.

Offline 3rail4life  
#14 Posted : 16 August 2016 17:41:04(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   

The previous mail thought the problem version was 2.3. What exactly are you saying ? Was the problem version 2.1 and later versions fixed it ? Or is that a typo and you meant to say something else ?

The unit I have is version 2.3

Norm.

I checked my records and from what I can tell, the one unit that I sold that had this problem was hardware version 2.1 with software version 2.3, a software upgrade to Version 2.5 fixed it.

I think it is best to at least try the upgrade before repairs are attempted.

Surely there must be someone in OZ that you could send it to for an upgrade, I could do it, but return shipping to AU is not cheap (22.75 US), a local solution would be much better, especially if it does turnout to be a mechanical problem.

Cheers,
Gordon
Offline Shamu  
#15 Posted : 17 August 2016 01:54:24(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   

Any suggestions ?

regards
Norm.

Hi Norm,

Nick & Brent at Train Trader will be able to help you. They are near the station at Pymble.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
Offline Normmeister  
#16 Posted : 17 August 2016 02:20:26(UTC)
Normmeister

Originally Posted by: Shamu Go to Quoted Post

Any suggestions ?

regards
Norm.

Hi Norm,

Nick & Brent at Train Trader will be able to help you. They are near the station at Pymble.

Unfortunately not, I have already asked, they do not have a CS2. Like me, they prefer the (superior BigGrin ) Ecos.

Norm.
Offline H0  
#17 Posted : 17 August 2016 07:08:03(UTC)
H0

Unfortunately not, I have already asked, they do not have a CS2.
Maybe you asked the wrong question - an MS2 is enough to transfer the upgrade. No CS2 needed.

It takes a CS2 to pull the upgrade from the Internet. But if they happen to have an MS2 with the current version, that will do.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Normmeister  
#18 Posted : 17 August 2016 07:56:14(UTC)
Normmeister

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Unfortunately not, I have already asked, they do not have a CS2.
Maybe you asked the wrong question - an MS2 is enough to transfer the upgrade. No CS2 needed.

It takes a CS2 to pull the upgrade from the Internet. But if they happen to have an MS2 with the current version, that will do.

ThumpUp How dumb I am ! I never thought of that.

Norm.