Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Markus Schild  
#1 Posted : 05 July 2016 08:24:05(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

I just got this BB9211 from VB made in France in the late 1950s. VB is also known as the manufacturer who invented the Märklin "Modellgleis".

UserPostedImage

Does anybody know how to read the serial-number on the underside? Can the year of production be read from that number?

UserPostedImage

Thank you for all hints.

Regards

Markus
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline Unholz  
#2 Posted : 05 July 2016 11:21:31(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
I think one should be able to read the year of production, but so far I have not found out the exact meaning of the code, not even on these excellent sites:

http://trainsdefrancois.free.fr/vb.php
http://www.blechundguss.ch/214.html

"Marque déposée" on the left stands for "registered trade mark" and "Breveté S.G.D.G." is the abbreviation for "Breveté Sans Garantie Du Gouvernement" which can liberally be translated as "patented without guarantee by the government". "AN" might be the abbreviation for "année" (year in French language), but the 73 is far too late to stand for the year.

Confused Sad

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Unholz
Offline Markus Schild  
#3 Posted : 05 July 2016 14:34:29(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Originally Posted by: Unholz Go to Quoted Post
"AN" might be the abbreviation for "année" (year in French language), but the 73 is far too late to stand for the year.

Hi Stefan,

Thank you for your reply. Here is the number of another VB loco, a BB9001 obviously older than the loco above:

UserPostedImage

Just 38 and 39, no "AN" and less total characters.

Regards

Markus
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline Unholz  
#4 Posted : 05 July 2016 16:14:47(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Hmmm... - interesting. One or both numbers might be an identification mark for the assembler responsible and/or the person who performed the final test run (sort of an individual "Prüfsiegel" like we know them from Marklin or Roco). Strange that no specific information seems to be available on the Internet...
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Unholz
Offline Markus Schild  
#5 Posted : 06 July 2016 10:41:31(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

I'm at least sure now that the "12" of the upper loco means "12 Volt". In the later years VB produced their locos in versions for 12V and for 20V operation. So a differentiator was needed.

Regards

Markus
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline Markus Schild  
#6 Posted : 29 July 2016 22:01:59(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

I asked the owner of the best site about VB-models about his knowledge regarding the serial numbers : http://trainsdefrancois.free.fr/vb.php I publish the reply with his permission.

He replied (translation below):

Quote:
Ce qui est gravé est bien le numéro de série. Vous devez le retrouver sur le bonde garantie si vous le posséder encore. Il correspond. Seul les modèles Lejeune n'étaient pas numérotés.
Ce doit être un numéro d'ordre de fabrication en ajoutant les deux paire de chiffre. Par contre, chose étonnante, si sur les BB9001 et CC 060DB, ce ne sont que des chiffres, sur la BB 9200 c'est une combinaison de 2 lettres et deux chiffres. VB a t il voulu différencier sa deuxième locomotive ? Ma propre 9200 est numérotée AC61, alors que j'ai une CC1961 et0398 et des BB 9001 8231, 4110 et 3243. Cela correspond aussi au nombretotal fabriqué (la BB 9001 est la plus courante car la plus ancienne)

Ou alors les lettre correspondent à une version spécifique (2R, 3R, deux moteur, inversion des feux). Mais là on serait face à de faibles chiffres. Vous avez aussi un 12 gravé, c'est sans doute une version 12V de la finb suite aux version 20V.

translation:

Quote:

That what’s engraved is the serial number. It can be also found on the warranty – sheet if it’s still existing. They correspondent. Only models delivered by LEJEUNE don’t have a serial – number.
The number must be a serial-number, the both two digit-numbers together make the number. In opposite, astonishing, the BB 9001 and the CC 060DB don’t only have numbers at the BB9001 it’s a combination of two letters and two numbers. Was it to difference the second VB-engine?
My own 9200 is numbered “AC61” a 1961 CC “0389”and BB 9001 with numbers “8231”, “4110” and “3243”. These numbers correspondent to the total production ( the BB 9001 is the most common because it’s the oldest).
Or do the numbers correspond a special version (2 rail, 3 rail, switching lights)? But then one would expect lower numbers. You have also a “12” engraved, that’s without doubt a 12V version which followed the 20V version.

Regards

Markus

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline GNAM  
#7 Posted : 25 January 2017 11:03:19(UTC)
GNAM

France   
There is a mistake, it is mixed.
The VB's were not embossed with figures.
Mister Lejeune purchased le tools, and put figures, to refuse any warranty to the original VB Owners. More, The 2 rails 12 volts were only Lejeune.

http://www.forum-train.f...amp;t=15864&start=10

GNAM
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by GNAM
Offline Michael4  
#8 Posted : 04 February 2017 12:53:34(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Here is a quick picture of my BB 9211 which has been in the family from new (you can see the damage!).
Everything still works and I remember that it was a very fast(!) model on an outdoor track we had at the time.

It would have been sold by Hamleys in Regent Street London, presumably late '50s (???). I remember they had a track that ran all the way round an upstairs balcony. It must be celebrating the success of Le Mistral.

It is 12v 2 rail though the pickups can be changed for 3 rail.

Markings are:
AJ B
V 80

UserPostedImageDSC02044 by dralowid, on Flickr

If anyone can give me more info or a likely date of manufacture I'd be very grateful. Please correct me if I am wrong!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline Alsterstreek  
#9 Posted : 04 February 2017 21:18:06(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
According to below French collector´s website, Vollon et Brun introduced the model in 1957. In the 1960s the Lejeune company continued the production and advertised the loco as late as February 1970.

http://trainsdefrancois.free.fr/vb.php
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Michael4  
#10 Posted : 05 February 2017 11:01:58(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Alsterstreek,

Many thanks for the info, it fits in well with my age at the time!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Michael4