Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline H0  
#1 Posted : 12 December 2014 23:31:23(UTC)
H0

Hi!

The PC version of the CS 2 includes an English UI, but until you got it up and running you may see a few German words.

The first Setup screen allows you to select the language. On my computer English was automatically preselected and all setup screens were in English. So far so good.

When you start the CS 2 program for the first time, it will prompt for a working folder ("Arbeitsverzeichnis" in German):
UserPostedImage
This is a dialogue from the operating system and will look different with newer Windows versions (I used XP for the screen shots). I recommend creating a new folder for the CS 2. On my computer, this folder contained 4000+ files and required 141 MiB disk space.

Then you get a warning that the environment will now be prepared for first use:
UserPostedImage

You will see a progress bar while files are being copied:
UserPostedImage

If the PC version could not find a real, physical CS 2 on the local network, it will show a warning ("Keine CS2 entdeckt. Es wird nun der Demo-Modus gestartet."):
UserPostedImage
This means "No CS2 was found. Demo mode will now be activated."
You should close this warning quickly, otherwise more instances of this warning will pop up on the screen. For n warning messages, you will later get (n - 1) error messages when you close the warnings - so better close it quickly while there is only one warning message.

You cannot change the language selection ("Sprachauswahl") while any of the warning messages ("Frage" means question, but it shows a warning) are still open.
Once all "Frage" warnings are closed, you can select the language for the UI. Currently only the four entries in the top row (de, en, fr, nl) work on my computer. Feel free to try Swedish, Spain, Italian, Japanese, or Russian - but don't be surprised if you get a German UI.
Edit: Update for version 3.8.1(12): Swedish, Spain, and Italian now work on my computer. Japanese does not work under my English Windows XP, but may work on different operating systems, Russian still shows German texts.

The "Gfp-Simulator" error message comes when you had more than one "Frage" warning:
UserPostedImage
So you shouldn't see it if you closed the "Frage" dialogue quickly.

Here we are, up and running - and everything in English:
UserPostedImage
German text in the UI indicates new features. "Kohle/Öl" stands for "coal/oil". FS stands for speed step.

The PC version has a small font problem, showing a black rectangle where the Ellipsis glyph ("…") should be:
UserPostedImage

New features, e.g. new screens created for the PC version are in German:
UserPostedImage
This screen allows you to switch from Demo mode to a connection to a real CS 2. Here the PC version still couldn't find a physical CS 2 and will stay in Demo mode.

Even without a CS 2 and without any mfx+ loco you can now enjoy the mfx+ Spielewelt and all cab control modes:
UserPostedImage
Sand is sand, Wasser is water, Kohle is coal.

There are four modes for operation of mfx+ locos:
UserPostedImage
Our daughter was amused about the "Profesional" mode (a typo I had missed).

Not shown here: you will probably get a few warnings from your firewall as the PC version tries to connect to the network. You should allow that if you have a physical CS 2 and want to connect to it. If you don't have a CS 2, then you can block all those attempts.

Long story short: it's dang easy to get the PC version up and running even if you don't know any German.

Update (14/12/2014):
The download page (German only):
http://maerklin.de/de/pr...ds/software_updates.html

Scroll down to "Central Station Program auf dem Windows-PC" to find the download link:
Code:
http://medienpdb.maerklin.de/digital22008/files/CS2.exe

Copy URL to the address field of your browser and download should start.

Update (26/12/2014):
With the current version, seven languages work (only four with initial release).
The download page was modified. Now you have to accept the license agreement by clicking "Ich habe die Lizenzvereinbarung gelesen und bin damit einverstanden" to see the download link.
The new filename is "CS2_setup.exe".

Update (08/09/2015):
There is a new file on the download page:
CS2.dmg (120.000,00 kb)
I assume it is the Mac version of the software. It includes a German Readme file with some Mac screenshots.

The download page (German only):
http://maerklin.de/de/pr...ds/software_updates.html
You still have to accept the license agreement by clicking "Ich habe die Lizenzvereinbarung gelesen und bin damit einverstanden" to see the download link.
The new filename is "CS2.dmg" (Mac).

Edited by user 08 September 2015 08:45:54(UTC)  | Reason: Now for Mac also.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 12 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline xxup  
#2 Posted : 12 December 2014 23:47:40(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
A big thank you from all of us for taking the time to show us the way. Well written software looks for the default language setting in Windows before it starts and then presents the window text in that language. It is not hard to do, but it does get tricky depending on the number of Windows versions you intend to support with your application.

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
..Long story short: it's dang easy to get the PC version up and running even if you don't know any German.

Now it just needs the Nev test.. LOL

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
H0
Offline et1  
#3 Posted : 12 December 2014 23:56:57(UTC)
et1

United States   
Hello Tom,

Thanks for taking the time to do this. I did have a question though:

The upper title of the screen shows "Central Station 3.8.1 (Auxiliary Device)" ...is it running as a slave CS2?

Thanks for your help,

Aloha,

Elliott

PS: @Adrian:

Have you tried running this program concurrently with WDP?

Elliott
CS2 4.1.2 (3), CS 2.04, 6021, 3x 60174 Boosters, L88, 2x 60881, 13x 6088(0) ,Windigipet 2015 Premium, Marklin K-track layout (in progress)
Offline et1  
#4 Posted : 13 December 2014 00:01:04(UTC)
et1

United States   
Hello All,

I noticed that if you have turnouts and signals in the layout they will not work by clicking on them. But if you put turnouts and signals as part of a Memory button they will work.

Aloha,

Elliott

Elliott
CS2 4.1.2 (3), CS 2.04, 6021, 3x 60174 Boosters, L88, 2x 60881, 13x 6088(0) ,Windigipet 2015 Premium, Marklin K-track layout (in progress)
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 13 December 2014 00:09:51(UTC)
H0

Hi, Elliot!
Originally Posted by: et1 Go to Quoted Post
The upper title of the screen shows "Central Station 3.8.1 (Auxiliary Device)" ...is it running as a slave CS2?
That caption indicates the PC version is working as a "slave" of a physical CS2 and able to control the model trains.

My screen shots show the Demo mode that does not require a real CS 2. The Demo mode includes a selection of (simulated) mfx+ locos.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline franciscohg  
#6 Posted : 13 December 2014 00:35:20(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Thanks a lot Tom for your work!!!!
Will take a deeper look of the program tonight
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline et1  
#7 Posted : 13 December 2014 01:51:17(UTC)
et1

United States   
Thanks Tom,

That explains it!

Aloha,
Elliott
Offline BrianM  
#8 Posted : 25 December 2014 17:06:41(UTC)
BrianM

United States   
Originally Posted by: et1 Go to Quoted Post
Hello All,

I noticed that if you have turnouts and signals in the layout they will not work by clicking on them. But if you put turnouts and signals as part of a Memory button they will work.

Aloha,

Elliott

I was pretty sure the keyboards worked with the first version of the software. My keyboards aren't working either. it's it the whole point? Can anyone help?

Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 31 May 2015 21:18:10(UTC)
H0

Hi!

An issue was recently reported on Stummi's Forum: the CS2 program is not "DPI-aware".

The standard setting of Windows is 96 DPI or 100 %.

This screen shot was made with 125 % (120 DPI). The window keeps it size, but the fonts are larger. The loco on the left is running at speed step 125 (not 25).
cs2_high_DPI.png

And here are three screen shots taken at 150 % (144 DPI):
cs2_high_DPI_2.png
cs2_high_DPI_3.png
cs2_high_DPI_4.png
I think you get the picture: the more DPI the more text will be cut off.

So if you want to try the CS2 program on your PC, better set the display to 100 %.

Technical details for curious readers.
There is a simple solution: when requesting a font from Windows, developers can specify the height of the font in pixels and Windows will return the same font for any DPI setting. Text will we dang small on a 4K display, but no text will be hidden or cut off.

Further information from Microsoft:
https://msdn.microsoft.c...464646%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 31 May 2015 21:35:31(UTC)
H0

And finally a screen shot taken at 200 %:
cs2_high_DPI_5.png
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 08 September 2015 08:42:09(UTC)
H0

There is a new file on the download page:
CS2.dmg (120.000,00 kb)

I assume it is the Mac version of the software. It includes a German Readme file with some Mac screenshots.
See the last paragraph in the first post for download hints.
The German 101 in the first post may be useful to change the language of this version, too.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline jwalt2065  
#12 Posted : 13 February 2016 18:51:25(UTC)
jwalt2065

United States   
Thanks Elliott for the info on the turnouts.
I wondered why I could run my loco but couldn't activate any turnouts.
I will try your suggestion with the routes.

I also noticed that the image of my BR212 is correct on the CS2 unit, but the wrong image is displayed in the PC app.
Does anyone know how to correct this?

One more thing.....
It is very poor program design when you select English as your language, but the program is still popping up messages (some very important) still in German.

I lied about one more thing.

I thought I saw someone mention this, but I will say it anyways.
Having a PC app of the CS2, you would think that they would allow you to resize the windows to fill your computer screen the way you want.
Especially the track layout screen.

If there is any other threads on the subject of this CS2 PC program, could someone direct me to them?
I can't seem to find any.

Thanks for any help anyone can give. It is most truly appreciated.
Best regards to all!!!

John

P.S. This is off topic, but can someone direct me to how you can add the box with another member's quote in your message.
I would like to do this when I am commenting about something someone has previously wrote about.
Thanks!
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 13 February 2016 19:12:44(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: jwalt2065 Go to Quoted Post
Having a PC app of the CS2, you would think that they would allow you to resize the windows to fill your computer screen the way you want.
You can open additional windows for keyboard, memory and such and thus use the bigger PC screen.

The CS2 software was written for a fixed screen size and I assume the PC version uses the same source code, but with special libraries to make it work under Windows. It's just not prepared for resizeable windows.

Just click on "Reply with quote" to quote parts of another post in your reply.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline jwalt2065  
#14 Posted : 13 February 2016 20:47:42(UTC)
jwalt2065

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Just click on "Reply with quote" to quote parts of another post in your reply.

Thanks Tom. I tried that before, but I now realize that I deleted the quote commands that should be left alone.
Offline jerdenberg  
#15 Posted : 29 February 2016 17:46:59(UTC)
jerdenberg

Netherlands   
Recently, I bought a cheap 7in 1024*600 Windows tablet to see whether that could be used, with this program, as a wireless controller connected to a cs[x] (that is, as yet, still on my wishlist). I do not (want to) have an Ithingy, and find it deplorable that Märklin has not bothered to make apps for Android and Windows.

The low resolution of the tablet is no problem at all – still higher than that of the CS2, and at this size the tablet can be held comfortably. As far as I can see, touch control is no problem, and the looks are OK (picture; the squares on the cutting mat in the background are about 1cm square).

CS2 demo on 7in tablet

The only thing that did not work was having two boxes (PC/laptop/tablet) connected to the same network. I hope/suppose that that is because of the simulated connection.

Figomima division, UP; mostly figment of my imagination yet.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jerdenberg
Offline PMPeter  
#16 Posted : 26 June 2016 17:33:42(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Has anyone else encountered problem with updating the Keyboard section on the PC? I can get into the edit mode, make the changes, get out of edit, but the changes do not appear on the CS2. Is there a save function or transfer function somewhere?

I do not have this problem with the Layout screen. Whatever changes I make on the PC or CS2 appear on the other device.

Thanks
Peter
Offline dickinsonj  
#17 Posted : 27 June 2016 15:29:40(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: jerdenberg Go to Quoted Post

The only thing that did not work was having two boxes (PC/laptop/tablet) connected to the same network. I hope/suppose that that is because of the simulated connection.

With a real connection you can attach multiple devices to a CS2 with no problem. When I have the need, I have interfaced with my CS2 using my phone, a tablet and a laptop - all at the same time.

The remote interfaces are well done and the one on the tablet is actually faster and nicer than the one on the CS2 itself.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline PMPeter  
#18 Posted : 27 June 2016 16:05:38(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: PMPeter Go to Quoted Post
Has anyone else encountered problem with updating the Keyboard section on the PC? I can get into the edit mode, make the changes, get out of edit, but the changes do not appear on the CS2. Is there a save function or transfer function somewhere?

I do not have this problem with the Layout screen. Whatever changes I make on the PC or CS2 appear on the other device.

Thanks
Peter

I have now tried every possible way of configuring the Keyboard on the CS2 or on the PC and the changes do not appear on the other device. If I make the changes on the CS2, save them, exit the CS2 program of the PC and reopen the PC CS2 program the changes appear. However, if I make the changes on the PC, save them and close the PC program, the changes do not appear on the CS2 and are gone when I reopen the PC CS2 program.

As stated before, this does not happen when editing the Layout tab of the CS2. Changes made on either device appear immediately on the other once the changes are saved.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong with the Keyboard?

Peter
Offline jerdenberg  
#19 Posted : 28 June 2016 15:34:10(UTC)
jerdenberg

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post

With a real connection you can attach multiple devices to a CS2 with no problem. When I have the need, I have interfaced with my CS2 using my phone, a tablet and a laptop - all at the same time.

The remote interfaces are well done and the one on the tablet is actually faster and nicer than the one on the CS2 itself.

In the meantime I acquired a CS2, and indeed, simultaneous connections from two tablets (WiFi) and a PC (cable), worked flawlessly.

The only "problem" I found was that disconnecting a remote interface makes the CS2 go into STOP mode [perhaps as a safety measure to prevent catastrophe upon accidental disconnection of a remote].

I have not used the Keyboard section, so I can't contribute to PMPeter's issue.

Jeroen
Figomima division, UP; mostly figment of my imagination yet.
Offline PMPeter  
#20 Posted : 28 June 2016 16:52:00(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: jerdenberg Go to Quoted Post
The only "problem" I found was that disconnecting a remote interface makes the CS2 go into STOP mode [perhaps as a safety measure to prevent catastrophe upon accidental disconnection of a remote].

Yes whenever you shutdown the PC or tablet version of the CS2 software it stops the actual CS2. The same holds true for other computer control software such as Rocrail.

I am really surprised that I am not getting any response to my question about the Keyboard programming on the PC instead of on the CS2 itself. Surely someone out there in this forum has tried it. I can't be the only one.

Peter