Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rwill  
#1 Posted : 18 May 2016 12:48:49(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Some observations and a question.

I have a 3.2m x 1.4m dog bone layout on K track with 24 powered turnouts, a couple of very old signals and uncouplers. I have 10 loks based on two eras of my life, over half are original digital 36xx MM2 and the others are my purchases during the past year all Mfx with all the bells and whistles.

I have been running using a 6021 two 6040 keyboards and 6 x k83 decoder. For historical reasons my keyboard and K83’s are set up to operate as keyboard number 1 & 16.
Thanks to contributions from this forum I have mastered the art of using the 6021 for more than five functions using the next address CV thingy. Even with my ageing memory it doesn’t take long for the brain the remember the lok code numbers and the keyboard position switches intuitively. I have always found the led lights on the keyboard a great help as they instantly indicate the status of any item, the switches are also nice and clunky for my fudgy fingers.

So recently I took delivery of a 29000 start set. Using the C track circle as a set up track everything was very straightforward loks all loaded and set up.

Removing the 6021/keyboard circuit on my layout followed and we were very soon off and running with the MS2. Obviously delighted with the mfx functions and control, even discovered a bonus on the old dears like 3665 shunters. The telex can be set to go on for just a second or two to stop them being left on to burn out! I guess I knew in advance that the keyboard would be a nightmare scrolling from number 16 to 253 is not really on especially when my favourite lok is thundering towards a wrongly set turnout. However, for the moment I can’t summon up the energy to spent the day under the board unplugging half the k83’s taking them out and resetting the address so they follow on from 16 to 32 and keyboard 2 especially when I am not sure I like the MS2 keyboard anyway. So I set up two circuits a track only circuit for the MS2 and a keyboard circuit to retain the use of the 6040’s (obviously powered by a half redundant 6021) and I thought I had a satisfactory set up.

I recently had a little problem with an old lok one of my favorites a Swiss Ae 6/6 number 3636. She seemed to be getting a bit non responsive so off came the top for a jiggle. I didn’t have a new set of brushes for this one but a bit of a prod with a screwdriver and we seemed to be off again until my ebay order of new brushes comes home. I then tried a little experiment on the test track circle running her with no top under the control of the 6021 the lights are on bright and she runs really well good speed, good response. Swapping over to the MS2 the lights are a bit flickery and dull and I think she is not quite as fast. Could this be possible? – the MS2 seems to love and be set up for Mfx but is maybe not quite so good on old MM2’s.

When the music stopped I seemed to have my main layout set to run on the original 6021 and the MS2 relegated to the test circle and I have to say I operated last evening like that and I was happy as a pig in whatnot.

I mentioned these matters to SWMBO (who frankly wasn’t the remotest bit interested) and declared that the solution having spent a hundred quid on the MS2 would be to spend another six hundred on a CS3 with track plans etc and the dogs danglies. She used words in reply that in forty-three years of marriage I didn’t think she knew.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 18 May 2016 13:11:49(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
I then tried a little experiment on the test track circle running her with no top under the control of the 6021 the lights are on bright and she runs really well good speed, good response. Swapping over to the MS2 the lights are a bit flickery and dull and I think she is not quite as fast. Could this be possible?
The way mfx is implemented in MS2 and CS2 leads to a lot flickering with those old loco's lights.
The track voltage of the MS2 is around 16 V while it is 20+ V with the CU 6021. This can lead to slower running or less smoke from the smoke generator or even sound problems with some locos.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline sjlauritsen  
#3 Posted : 18 May 2016 13:55:39(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
The track voltage of the MS2 is around 16 V while it is 20+ V with the CU 6021. This can lead to slower running or less smoke from the smoke generator or even sound problems with some locos.

Interesting. Why is this?
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
Offline Rwill  
#4 Posted : 18 May 2016 14:39:02(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Hi!
I then tried a little experiment on the test track circle running her with no top under the control of the 6021 the lights are on bright and she runs really well good speed, good response. Swapping over to the MS2 the lights are a bit flickery and dull and I think she is not quite as fast. Could this be possible?
The way mfx is implemented in MS2 and CS2 leads to a lot flickering with those old loco's lights.

So it looks like SWMBO was right then - even if I spend out on a CS3 I might still say I like the performance/output of my 6021 better!

Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 18 May 2016 15:16:52(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: sjlauritsen Go to Quoted Post
Interesting. Why is this?
The CU 6021 uses a Delon circuit to create about 44 V internally. That's why the CU 6021 cannot work with DC.
See also:
https://en.wikipedia.org...ge_doubler#Delon_circuit

http://blog.mailez.de/eb...art-3-ac-and-rectifiers/
http://blog.mailez.de/eb...at-is-effective-voltage/

The MS2 (the trackbox actually) passes 18 V DC through a bridge rectifier to get DC of a lower voltage. It can work with either AC or DC - and will have a higher track voltage with 16 V AC than with 18 V DC.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 18 May 2016 15:20:50(UTC)
H0

So it looks like SWMBO was right then - even if I spend out on a CS3 I might still say I like the performance/output of my 6021 better!
With a CS3 the track voltage will be higher than with the MS2, but lower than with the CU 6021.
Not sure if the CS3 will improve the flickering of lights over the CS2. Maybe it uses the same Track Format Processor (TFP) as the CS2.

I like the speed knob of the CU 6021. But still I use the CS 60212 because I want more protocols and more addresses.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 18 May 2016 15:29:56(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
The MS2 is not ideal for solenoid accessories, but you have the option there at least. I actually use mine only for the trains and still operate my turnouts and signals using the old analogue control boxes.

When I swapped from my 6021 to the MS2 I was not convinced I would like the change, but I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it once I got used to it. Not having to remember the addresses of the locos on the layout is a boon. Additionally, the functions became a lot easier to find and use by just looking for the icons next to the buttons.

I don't really notice any more flickering from the loco headlights than I had from the 6021, unless the lights are the type that are connected directly to the loco chassis. If this is the case then a simple upgrade can help, with modern decoders costing as little as 20 euro, or 30 euro for one that includes a motor kit.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline mike c  
#8 Posted : 18 May 2016 20:46:07(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I recently had a little problem with an old lok one of my favorites a Swiss Ae 6/6 number 3636. She seemed to be getting a bit non responsive so off came the top for a jiggle. I didn’t have a new set of brushes for this one but a bit of a prod with a screwdriver and we seemed to be off again until my ebay order of new brushes comes home. I then tried a little experiment on the test track circle running her with no top under the control of the 6021 the lights are on bright and she runs really well good speed, good response. Swapping over to the MS2 the lights are a bit flickery and dull and I think she is not quite as fast. Could this be possible? – the MS2 seems to love and be set up for Mfx but is maybe not quite so good on old MM2’s.

Older digital locomotives, like the 3636 or my 3638 had the bulbs connected using the live lead from the decoder PC board and the return via the locomotive chassis. The result was that the lights tended to flicker. The solution to this was to upgrade the decoder from the original 6080 type to one of the newer ones where the terminals for both lead and return were present on the decoder. You will likely also have to retrofit the motor and magnet.
If you are really motivated, you can also replace the green tinted window set with the clear ones from the 39361 or 37361 models (red Ae 6/6).

As the 3638 "Bern" is one of my favourite locomotives, it is now running with the chassis taken from a 39361 with C-Sine motor.

The original chassis sits in my display and I occasionally swap out the shell to change the locomotive from green to red or from city to canton from time to time.

Regards

Mike C
Offline mike c  
#9 Posted : 18 May 2016 20:59:09(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
That last post was probably a little too Ae 6/6 centric, so I should get back to the topic of 6021 vs MS2:

Having now had over a year to experiment with a MS2, I can say that there are some cool features, but I am still not sold. I hesitate to jump into the Central Station because they seem to be upgrading it too frequently. I am hesitant to buy something that will be outdated the moment it arrives.

What surprises me is that Maerklin did not offer a hybrid. I would love to have seen a 6021 type box that would work with MM, DCC, Mfx, Mfx+ but still allowed for direct access by number. It seems to me that you have to scan through to find the locomotive in the controller's database and this has led to having to hit the emergency stop button because I felt that I could not find that particular locomotive in time to prevent an incident.

If Maerklin would modify the CS to include a direct access keyboard, that would also make it much more interesting IMHO.

As far as the MS, here is what I do not like:

1) The cable length between MS2 and control box is not sufficient for operation at a reasonable distance, especially for a teppichbahn
2) I have used stick on velcro to figure out a way to affix the interface box so that it does not pull the track lead wires if the MS2 is pulled too far. It adheres to the carpet.
3) The interface should have the old style red and brown terminals which would allow for varying cable lengths and easy replacement of cables in case of damage or use of other track types

I would kill for a 6021 looking box with MM/DCC/Mfx and 28 or more functions.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline clapcott  
#10 Posted : 18 May 2016 21:23:05(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Some observations ....

From an accessory point of view, this sounds like an ideal situation to be in.

By retaining your 6021/6040 for accessories you ...
- retain power/control while the track is dead
- better tactile interface
- no shuffling of the MS2 between Loco and Keyboard mode.
- no dimming of (loco) lights when an old solenoid is switched
- Any attendant turnout/signal/buffer-stop lights that, may have been wired direct to the red , should also be kept on the 6021 to allow all the MS2 available power to be focused on the locomotives.

Sorry, cannot help you out with lighted coaches ....RollEyes
Peter
Offline clapcott  
#11 Posted : 18 May 2016 21:37:23(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
With a CS3 the track voltage will be higher than with the MS2, but lower than with the CU 6021.

I cannot speak for a CS3 (60216 or 60226 ) which I have yet to have a play with , however my measurements with a CS2 have found it able to deliver 24V (actually higher with a 60101) compared to the 6021s 22V.

Of course "power" might be a slightly different discussion as the average "on" time may be affected by mFX and DCC pulse streams sharing the bus.
i.e. ensuring sufficient idle time for decoders to get in sync.
But if you are comparing apples for apples and leaving the CS2 in MM mode the power may certainly be more.

Voltage/Power not withstanding, any controller generating multi-protocol activity will cause noticeable variation in the lights on a loco where they are wired direct to the track signal (as the older decoders do, without any smoothing)

I ... declared that the solution having spent a hundred quid on the MS2 would be to spend another six hundred on a CS3

I do not believe this to be correct. Going forward the focus of any "solution" should include consideration for a locomotive decoder update.
Peter
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 18 May 2016 21:46:35(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
If Maerklin would modify the CS to include a direct access keyboard, that would also make it much more interesting IMHO.
They included an on-screen keyboard in the CS2 long ago.
You can type the address of a previously registered loco to quickly select it from the list. Or type the address of an unregistered loco to quickly add and use it.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 18 May 2016 21:48:28(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post

I cannot speak for a CS3 (60216 or 60226 ) which I have yet to have a play with , however my measurements with a CS2 have found it able to deliver 24V (actually higher with a 60101) compared to the 6021s 22V.
Measured how? I cannot see how you would get more than 18 V track voltage when using 19 V DC to feed the CS2. Märklin specify up to 24 V DC as input voltage for the CS2 and this will allow to get higher track voltages.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline clapcott  
#14 Posted : 18 May 2016 21:52:15(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
1) The cable length between MS2 and control box is not sufficient for operation at a reasonable distance, especially for a teppichbahn

Have you considered a 60122 ?

Peter
Offline clapcott  
#15 Posted : 18 May 2016 21:53:55(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   

Measured how? ....

Oscilloscope

Peter
Offline H0  
#16 Posted : 18 May 2016 21:55:41(UTC)
H0

Oscilloscope
Short peaks when the polarity changes or effective voltage?

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Minok  
#17 Posted : 18 May 2016 23:49:25(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Oscilloscope

Are you asking, peak-to-peak voltage, or RMS voltage ?
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline clapcott  
#18 Posted : 19 May 2016 10:37:27(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Oscilloscope

A Valid challenge, but no, not spikes.

However I did misspeak my reference to 60101 (This was the setting to ensure the CS2 did not cutout.

The config was a 60052 (Transformer) with a 60213
In this configuration the light load Voltage is 24V , dropping to 20V at about the 1 Amp mark (and continuing on downhill to (just above) 16V as expected from a transformer)

For comparison, (my units, your milage may vary (Country input voltage for transformer)
60113 fed with 66361

Loaded for 1A (15Ohms)
my 6021 started at 22v and had dropped to 17V
my 60113(MS2) started at 18V and was still at 17.5V on load (MS2 panel reading was 17.7 / 1.1A)

Loaded for 2A (7.5Ohms)
my 6021 started at 22v and had dropped to just above 16V
my 60113(MS2) started at 18V and dropped to 17.0V (MS2 panel reading was 17.2 / 2.0A)

From this I would make the observation that for moderate use (1 - 2 amps) the 60113 holds its own with a 6021.
Peter
Offline clapcott  
#19 Posted : 19 May 2016 10:44:00(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
Are you asking, peak-to-peak voltage, or RMS voltage ?

For the Square wave date component of the packet, P2P=RMS

Including the gap/idle time will affect RMS value differently for different combination of protocols.

Peter
Offline BenP  
#20 Posted : 04 June 2021 13:59:28(UTC)
BenP

United States   
I go back and forth about MS2, as i don't like the aesthetic of a 'gameboy' device. The 6021 has that classic look and feel. Since I am not too interested in latest functions and newest trains, having mostly converted old units, I may get a 2nd 6021 for now (divided upper and lower layouts).
Any reason why I should go MS2 instead?
Digital M (+ some K) track layout with mostly vintage rolling stock and accessories, and small Z scale layout.
https://youtube.com/play...0kgVYbh0CeDTF-bYXoD_2-V9
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by BenP
Online marklinist5999  
#21 Posted : 04 June 2021 15:57:07(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Yes Ben, and why I also got a CS3. When our grandkids want to run a train with me, they can use the MS2.
Offline nhumps  
#22 Posted : 29 June 2021 13:14:35(UTC)
nhumps

New Zealand   
Also you may wish to consider one or more control 80f - Item 6036 (identical function to 6021 without track output) which could well be found cheaper vs a 6021 (and presumably 600X series transformer combo)

That would also not require any isolation between upper and lower layouts (if they are connected)

control 80 - Item 6035 is also an option but only has single function (f0)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by nhumps
Offline PJMärklin  
#23 Posted : 29 June 2021 15:43:13(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: nhumps Go to Quoted Post
Also you may wish to consider one or more control 80f - Item 6036 (identical function to 6021 without track output) which could well be found cheaper vs a 6021 (and presumably 600X series transformer combo)

That would also not require any isolation between upper and lower layouts (if they are connected)...

Yes, an excellent alternative suggestion ! ThumpUp

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

With the 6021 and a number of 6036s, I have numerous specific individual control always immediately
available on my layout: instant exigent command for each and every of 8 active locomotives without
having to go back through a more central command function to control each locomotive Wink.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

A worthwhile consideration !

Regards,

PJ BigGrin

Feel free to PM me for more detail Smile

thanks 7 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline mvd71  
#24 Posted : 01 July 2021 05:52:30(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Dale is Right, a Control 80f is a good option. And you can buy a cable to link the 6021 and 6036 (control80f) if you want to have them separated on your layout.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#25 Posted : 01 July 2021 07:06:28(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: mvd71 Go to Quoted Post
And you can buy a cable to link the 6021 and 6036 (control80f) if you want to have them separated on your layout.

Got a couple of them right here!

Offline clapcott  
#26 Posted : 03 July 2021 11:48:24(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
And you can buy a cable to link the 6021 and 6036 (control80f) if you want to have them separated on your layout.

I would offer a tempering caution as it relates to the length expectation. i.e. Having a controller "on the other side of the layout

Responses to the question "how long can the bus be extended", from technical dealers, if not Maerklin themselves, have been as low as 5m or even 2m.
Personally I have encountered "dropout/loss of control" of 6036's with a cable extension around 6m,

The flat ribbon cable, even with its "ground" wires every 2nd wire core, is not a screened environment.
While I am aware that electrical circuits have been designed to redrive/amplify for long runs, this is not for everyone.

IMHO
The prime reason for the cable is to allow for a laying out the control desk (but in the same locale) that is not in a single line (as pictured above)
e.g. maybe 4 rows of 4 controller throttles instead of 1 row of 16.
And/or to allow components like the switchboard to be be installed under the desk rather than taking up real estate above it.
Peter
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline PJMärklin  
#27 Posted : 03 July 2021 13:24:20(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   

I would offer a tempering caution as it relates to the length expectation. i.e. Having a controller "on the other side of the layout

Responses to the question "how long can the bus be extended", from technical dealers, if not Maerklin themselves, have been as low as 5m or even 2m.
Personally I have encountered "dropout/loss of control" of 6036's with a cable extension around 6m,

The flat ribbon cable, even with its "ground" wires every 2nd wire core, is not a screened environment.
While I am aware that electrical circuits have been designed to redrive/amplify for long runs, this is not for everyone.

IMHO
The prime reason for the cable is to allow for a laying out the control desk (but in the same locale) that is not in a single line (as pictured above)
e.g. maybe 4 rows of 4 controller throttles instead of 1 row of 16.
And/or to allow components like the switchboard to be be installed under the desk rather than taking up real estate above it.

Hello Peter,

Thank you for your post. It adds more info and insight into the use of these cables. Your opinion that
"the prime reason for the cable is to allow for a laying out (of) the control desk", aligns with mine.

I have only one such cable on my layout that served to jump a small width on my control desk area,
occasioned by the desire for more 6036 controllers that came about thereafter. This will soon all be altered
due to changes in the layout (portrayed by the strip hole defect you can see at the fifth track inwards on
my layout at the first image below, and the sawdust on the floor OhMyGod) because of the current addition
of a shadow station below the layout level and also a transfer table station at the same level as the layout
(upper level). Ultimately the two 6036's seen on our right side of the first image will be joined directly to
the 6036's on our left hand side of the image.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Good to know of the limitations of the cables.

Regards,

PJ
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#28 Posted : 04 July 2021 11:15:38(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   

I would offer a tempering caution as it relates to the length expectation.....

I've got 3 cables here, I'd say they are 4 to 5 metres in length and they aren't ribbon cables, rather they are (presumably) shielded multicore cables. They come from Tim's H0 collection and I suspect they are custom made using the original Marklin plugs and sockets.
Offline Rwill  
#29 Posted : 04 July 2021 12:13:28(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Gosh I have just noticed that I started this thread five years ago!

I have moved on through to CS3 with which I am extremely happy.

I have always admired PJ's layout and control system and on here he has helped and advised me on a number of occasions.

It amuses me that in thirty years my two lads have grown up married and had kids. They lost interest on leaving home in "the Trains". When they visit they will invariably make their way to the train room to find "Grandad trains". They will usually make a comment like "66 and 84 running" remembering the lok numbers from years ago. To me now that is just a picture on the screen which you flip over with your finger and control all the track items with a finger on the track diagram. I am not sure how I could cope with a lovely "new" mfx lok with thirty two functions of which maybe one important one (say rear uncoupler) is f17.

In a lock down boredom afternoon I set up a small track layout and used firstly MS2 and the 6021 and Keyboard. From a number years stashed away the keyboard had stiffened up and partially did not work but I did nothing further to rectify matters and stashed it all away. For those who buy these things from eBay at quite high prices take note! Although I never liked the MS2 especially for accessory control it is certainly "value for money" it is now the controller for my LGB shunting frame - perfect
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline BenP  
#30 Posted : 31 July 2021 17:11:31(UTC)
BenP

United States   
I have two, track separated 6021 units allowing enough power for 2-3 trains with lighted carriages (converting to led to lower track load). Bought two 40VA 16V AC transformers from Amazon (delivering 18V), instead of rare and expensive Marklin vintage. Working great. I also tried 50VA unit, but that pushes >19V to 6021 controller, which might damage/wear unit. Switches and signs on white 32VA transformer that shares ground (brown wire) with 6021s. Other lights on second 32VA transformer that allows dimming when using red and brown connects; no ground sharing.

Originally Posted by: BenP Go to Quoted Post
I go back and forth about MS2, as i don't like the aesthetic of a 'gameboy' device. The 6021 has that classic look and feel. Since I am not too interested in latest functions and newest trains, having mostly converted old units, I may get a 2nd 6021 for now (divided upper and lower layouts).
Any reason why I should go MS2 instead?

Digital M (+ some K) track layout with mostly vintage rolling stock and accessories, and small Z scale layout.
https://youtube.com/play...0kgVYbh0CeDTF-bYXoD_2-V9
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by BenP