Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline HFEVO2  
#1 Posted : 12 May 2016 13:44:10(UTC)
HFEVO2

United Kingdom   
Can anyone advise me on how to go about powering Marklin Gauge 1 locos on a yet-to-be-built garden railway using onboard batteries and radio control ?

I have in mind using burglar alarm-type rechargeable batteries carried in rolling stock and using model car/aircraft speed controllers.
Will the sound cards still operate using this kind of control ?

The reason is that I want to run live steam locos on the same track and these drop oil on the rails.
Also, when laying down the track I can avoid having to do a lot of wiring and when its finished I won't have to keep the track completely clean.

Thanks
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by HFEVO2
Offline Unholz  
#2 Posted : 12 May 2016 14:42:44(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Something like this perhaps? http://www.s-cab.com/ (although not specifically related to Marklin Gauge 1). There was also quite a comprehensive article in the magazine "Model Railroader" a couple of months ago.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Unholz
Offline HFEVO2  
#3 Posted : 12 May 2016 21:06:47(UTC)
HFEVO2

United Kingdom   
Thanks. I've visited the website and emailed him for some info
Offline nitramretep  
#4 Posted : 13 May 2016 01:28:07(UTC)
nitramretep

United States   
I have run LGB and Marklin 1 locos on the same track I was running Roundhouse live steam engines. You are correct in considering the oil issue but the steam locos should not be pouring out oil at an alarming rate. My set-up was out doors and the biggest issue regarding the steam locos was making certain the fire was set properly and the right amount of pressure was loaded before starting the loco, I started the steam locos on a connected but dedicated stretch of track to get the oil and water out of the cold cylinders. Generally speaking the locos ran clean when they are hot and not drained of steam (using too much and the loco stalls). I only had issues when guests tried running the locos and did not grasp the concept of live steam. I had a few spills but was able to wipe them up quickly. The Markelin 1 electric locos could power through all but the worst spills. Batteries are a real pain, they always run out when you are at a critical moment! I would try it without batteries and see how it goes.
Offline HFEVO2  
#5 Posted : 13 May 2016 08:21:06(UTC)
HFEVO2

United Kingdom   
That's a very interesting observation, thanks

Mind you, I'm only thinking of buying one Accucraft live steamer ( a flying Scotsman ) and they are supposed to be pretty good at containing their oil.

I take your point about batteries but it would save a lot of wiring and I know that Household Management won't appreciate me digging trenches for conduit across her lawn !

Before making any decisions I'll do some experiments with batteries and see what running time I can get with various locos.

Do I go for modern LiPos, cheaper and safer NiCads or old fashioned burglar alarm batteries ?
Offline xxup  
#6 Posted : 13 May 2016 09:33:38(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Personally, I think that this is a great idea. Running wires all over the yard has little appeal for me..

The problem with Lipos might the voltages.. Because they come in "cells" you jump from 11v to 14.8v.. From memory the jump is 3.7v per cell set.. I use them in my 1:72 scale Type 45 destroyer (2.2m long with twin engines and weighs 20kg) - it runs for hours on the Lipos and it does not have the weight problems of equivalent capacity lead/acid batteries..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Online Purellum  
#7 Posted : 13 May 2016 22:40:54(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I have been planning battery operated 1-gauge garden railroad for a long time; but not gotten very far LOL

I have done a few tests, and also have a battery operated MS1 for my test stand. ( Very handy at shows etc. )

The simple solution: A 18V Dewalt battery; I already have a lot of battery operated Dewalt power tools, and thus also several 18V
batteries and chargers.

4 Ah batteries last for a long time, and are easily exchanged.

BTW, I have an Accucraft live steam loco, and it makes a short-circuit between the wheels, so I can't run it at the same time
as I run my track powered electrical locos.

Per.

P.S: "Games on Track" can work battery operated too; but is still only DCC, and most of my locos are equipped with standard Märklin decoders.

I have talked several times to the manufacturer of "Games on Track", and he is working on a MM / MFX solution.

http://www.gamesontrack.com/

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Purellum