Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ixldoc  
#1 Posted : 03 May 2016 07:33:16(UTC)
ixldoc

Australia   
A friend of mine ,running some trains recently, lost track of his Zeppelin in a tunnel but didn't immediately note it's absence. He did ,however, after a while notice the familiar and dreaded smell of cooking electrical components. He found the Zeppelin had collided with another train which had stalled in the tunnel. Somehow the Zeppelin prop had become obstructed but the prop motor kept turning at a great rate. The prop gears eventually jammed, the motor cooked off, burnt out an armature coil and heated the chassis to the extent he could hardly handle it.

When it cooled , he removed the body and found to his amazement the plastic was fine apart from some blackish soot above the propeller motor. On the other hand, the motor gear and shaft gear were completely stripped, and as both were brass, the entire area was covered in what looked like gold dust.
Zeppelin 1.jpg

We decided an overhaul was required and of course a little pimping for effect. A board for the electronics was designed to utilise available space and another small board for the front headlight ( white/red changeover) and cabin light ( yellow). The propeller motor was discarded and two small pulleys were turned up to suit a new mini motor and silicon drive belt. The prop shaft was loose in the chassis bearings and also loose for and aft, both of which contributed to noise. A brass sleeve which fitted the shaft cicely was sourced and the chassis bearings relieved a bit to take the new sleeve. A small hole was drilled in the top of the sleeve to allow oiling. The gear was pulled off the shaft and a new brass pulley fitted. A small bronze bush was added each end to the shaft to minimise end play.The propeller which was damaged and sported three blades was converted to a two blade and painted silver.

A board was made up to take the roof mounted interior lighting and two holes were drilled in it to slide over the two internal mounting posts. A soft rubber tube with a section cut away was slid down over the posts to hold the board up in the roof. No glue or sticky tape used. These photos show the stages of construction. The two water clear LEDs are the disco lights.
Zeppelin 2.jpgZeppelin 3.jpg Zeppelin 4.jpgZeppelin 5.jpgZeppelin 6.jpgZeppelin 7.jpgZeppelin 8.jpgZeppelin 9.jpgZeppelin 10.jpgZeppelin 11.jpg

The small motor is double sided stickied to the mount and some Tamiya masking tape as a precaution. The red engine room light is driven by the prop motor power via a small resistor. It is rated 12 volts and is driven by the small voltage regulator set to 8.5 volts.

A couple of short videos.[YOUTUBE]Marklin Zeppelin modification 1 [/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]Marklin Zeppelin modification 2 [/YOUTUBE]

Thanks,
Howard
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by ixldoc
Offline ixldoc  
#2 Posted : 03 May 2016 07:37:28(UTC)
ixldoc

Australia   
Hmmm not sure what happened to the videos. Will try again.

thanks 9 users liked this useful post by ixldoc
Offline ixldoc  
#3 Posted : 03 May 2016 07:44:02(UTC)
ixldoc

Australia   
My editing was also below par, sorry for typos.
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#4 Posted : 03 May 2016 11:24:13(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Nice job! I like the belt drive, You used!

Here, You may have seen my solution: https://www.marklin-user...w-and-new-airscrew-motor
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Moritz-BR365
Offline mikemasey  
#5 Posted : 09 May 2016 00:31:58(UTC)
mikemasey

Australia   
Battle space and Turbo car .2.mp4 (16,533kb) downloaded 49 time(s).

Hi all,

I know that this is a little "off topic" but I have a simpler version brought out by Triang in the mid 60's.

On this occasion the loco is actually powered by the air screw.

Triang thought that it would bring small boys into the hobby along with other action based models.

Without careful control the loco spends a lot of time flying off on the corners.

My club has a dedicated line for all the old timers and whenever I run this one all the DCC people flock over to watch!