Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline IanR38  
#1 Posted : 27 February 2016 12:24:37(UTC)
IanR38

Hi. I`m completely new to z gauge and not sure about the Marklin z gauge point wiring and if they need IRJs anywhere. I would be very grateful if any z gauge modellers using Marklin track could give me advice on the correct way of setting up these points.
Many thanks
IanR
Offline Wal  
#2 Posted : 27 February 2016 23:54:41(UTC)
Wal

Australia   
Hello Ian,

There's a great book from about 2009 if you can find it. Part # is 0296. It is Z gauge track plans, but is full of other useful stuff on wiring, accessories, catenary, etc.

Here's a copy of the page on how to wire turnouts.

Scan 9.jpeg

Excuse my ignorance but I don't know what the TLA, IRJ means.

TLA = Three Letter Acronym

Cheers,

Wal
Offline hgk  
#3 Posted : 28 February 2016 02:59:09(UTC)
hgk

Originally Posted by: IanR38 Go to Quoted Post
Hi. I`m completely new to z gauge and not sure about the Marklin z gauge point wiring and if they need IRJs anywhere. I would be very grateful if any z gauge modellers using Marklin track could give me advice on the correct way of setting up these points.
Many thanks
IanR

Hi,
I lost my original reply to the touch screen gnomes so I'll try not to accidentally cancel this one too.
The insulated rail joiners, if that's what "IRJ" stands for, are used in loop circuits to prevent a short circuit where the loop meets back on itself. They're also used where you need separate control over a track section as in a passing track or a siding. Normal points are not a concern. If you have some specific track layout questions then it might be good to also post a drawing of it.
Regards,
-George
Offline ozzman  
#4 Posted : 28 February 2016 05:58:18(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
Hi Ian and welcome to this forum. Please bear in mind that Marklin Z scale turnouts are "power everywhere" - ie if you have power connected to any of the three or four tracks connected to a turnout, then power will be applied to all three or four of them, no matter which way the turnout is set. They are not like eg Peco Insulfrog or Rokuhan turnouts, where the setting determines the power routing.
Gary
Z Scale
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout"
Offline IanR38  
#5 Posted : 28 February 2016 12:26:27(UTC)
IanR38

Hi. Thank you all very much for your replies and sorry if I wasn`t completely clear in my query. What I understand as an `electro`frog point in other gauges would need isolating rail joiners on the `V` of the point and another power feed for each rail beyond or a switch that changed polarity. An `insul` frog point would only need IRJs on crossovers where two power circuits join. Just looking at pictures of the Marklin points I couldn`t work out which they were or something different and so my request for advice on how these points should be set up.
Ian R
Offline Carim  
#6 Posted : 24 March 2016 01:21:45(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Hi Ian,

I haven't put any IRJ.s at the "V" of any of my Z points and, so far, haven't experienced any short circuits. Of course, you do have to insulate the crossovers between lines if they are powered by different controllers.

Carim

p.s. I used the Peco code 55 IRJ.s; much cheaper than Marklin if you are using quite a few. The fit is not perfect but with a bit of trimming they do the job and if there is still too much wobble you can always glue them to the rails.
Offline robinhaydn  
#7 Posted : 09 June 2018 12:40:01(UTC)
robinhaydn

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: hgk Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: IanR38 Go to Quoted Post
Many thanks
IanR

Hi,
I lost my original reply to the touch screen gnomes so I'll try not to accidentally cancel this one too.
The insulated rail joiners, if that's what "IRJ" stands for, are used in loop circuits to prevent a short circuit where the loop meets back on itself. They're also used where you need separate control over a track section as in a passing track or a siding. Normal points are not a concern. If you have some specific track layout questions then it might be good to also post a drawing of it.
Regards,
-George

Hi,

I'm a complete beginner to wiring, and I'm making a small Nn3 layout using Maerklin z electrofrog points. This is my layout plan - to my understanding, if I simply wire to the section of track where the truck is (at the far left), the whole layout will be live with no short circuits?

Thanks, R

IMG_0313.JPG
Offline MalinAC  
#8 Posted : 09 June 2018 14:14:45(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Because the points are not all in the same direction I think you might have to put a feed on the middle point at the single end as well. Im sure someone with more know how will let you know . Eddie