Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline steventrain  
#1 Posted : 20 April 2012 18:28:48(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Eisenbahn-Magazin (May issue), an article titled "Modellbahn im Gespräch" is under "Digitale Halbwertszeiten" (page 3). Including following sentence is to read: "whether 2013, there will be a CS 3 for Märklin/Trix was not too experienced during our research".
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 20 April 2012 19:22:07(UTC)
H0

So the Mag asked Märklin about a new CS3 and got no reply.
I don't know if the Mag article (which I didn't read, I only heard about it on Stummi's Forum) is to be taken serious.
Could be just an improved CS2 with full software compatibility, so nothing CS2 owners have to worry about.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#3 Posted : 20 April 2012 21:22:56(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
.....mmmmm...so does this mean a MS3 (60654) next year maybe...?!?
speaking of things new...anyone try the new 3-way decoder 74465 for C track??
Joe
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 21 April 2012 00:46:23(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
We need another CS like we need another hole in our heads! OhMyGod
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline river6109  
#5 Posted : 21 April 2012 01:58:13(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I would skip the CS3 and go for a CS4

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline mvd71  
#6 Posted : 21 April 2012 02:42:21(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
This is the crazy stuff that we talked about in another thread about a quote from Mr Lenz. We got sidetracked into why the manufacturers force all this new tech on us when we haven't asked for it. But this sort of thing from a well established magazine will go back to marklin as evidence that the market wants more!!

I personally agree with Bigdaddy, we need it like a hole in the headMad

Cheers...

Mike.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 21 April 2012 07:56:33(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
It could be that Märklin is forced to redesign the CS2 just because an important part (display, processor, ...) is no longer available.
It could be that they add new interfaces.

Don't panic now. Wait and see.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#8 Posted : 21 April 2012 08:12:45(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Don't panic now. Wait and see.

Panic now!

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

I'm doing more than that...........just had to wash certain undergarments! OhMyGod

Seriously, I don't mind if the changes/updates are retrofit-table to older version CS2's, but if there is a complete new unit with different software, that is not wanted at all! At least 6020/6021 lasted for 20 years, CS2 should be able to do at least 10!
Offline Ian555  
#9 Posted : 21 April 2012 08:27:54(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   

Smile

Ian.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ian555
Online Goofy  
#10 Posted : 21 April 2012 08:45:02(UTC)
Goofy

It goes to the competitive market.
Forget about what Mr.Lenz are saying.
He is stupid and jealous because Lenz has not toke care of expanding own digital system that are really boring system!!!
Let Marklin do what they feel like to race against inside of modeltrain market.
It´s business.
And not only business...it´s an race to survive.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Dave Banks  
#11 Posted : 21 April 2012 09:41:49(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
David I agree with you on this matter. We do not need another controller on the market at the moment. I personally think it would bring huge financial woes to Marklin if they did try this move. The readers will give Marklin that is to say if they bother to read this forum good & ample warning if they felt it necessary to introduce a newer & updated model. Well I have had my say & it's a resounding no from my end.
D.A.Banks
Offline Western Pacific  
#12 Posted : 21 April 2012 10:16:23(UTC)
Western Pacific

Sweden   
I believe, if there is any truth in this rumor at all, that H0/Tom is closest to why a new controller could be required ("It could be that Märklin is forced to redesign the CS2 just because an important part (display, processor, ...) is no longer available.
It could be that they add new interfaces.").

Another aspect could be the Roco Z21, which supports DCC and Motorola protocols. If that product would attract too many of the "three-railers" even if it is lacking support for mfx (or M4 as ESU calls it), then that could mean an end to the market for mfx/M4 decoders (and in a longer perspektive for mfx/M4 capable controllers).

The deeper question is what is Märklin's long term strategy related to decoders? Would they consider going for DCC only for both Trix and Märklin product lines? Or do they believe in a better profitability staying with mfx for Märklin?

I tend to read in between the lines a much higher focus on return on investment since the years of bankruptcy when seeing new item releases.
The move away from C-sinus in favor of DC-motors is an example of this and there are in my mind two easily identifiable economic reasons: i) fewer motor types means larger volumes of the ones remaining in the products that could lead to both better volume rebates and possibly also lower inventory volumes that cost money. And the other ii) would be lower warranty costs due to problems with the C-sinus driver PCBs. Then there is also the re-releasing of for instance tin-plate and old models in new liveries.
Offline TimR  
#13 Posted : 21 April 2012 14:07:45(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: Western Pacific Go to Quoted Post

The deeper question is what is Märklin's long term strategy related to decoders? Would they consider going for DCC only for both Trix and Märklin product lines? Or do they believe in a better profitability staying with mfx for Märklin?

I've been asking myself the same question over the years...

Back to the topic,
I still think that creating next generation of any type of central station is a total waste of money.

The future maybe answered by a simple and cheaper peripheral, which will act as a protocol bridging between modern MRR digital layout setup.
And also a digital application to control the layout that can easily be installed in a modern smartphone.

This may sound unreasonable,
but just 5-6 years ago, no one would imagine that today's modern smartphone (complete with its full product support across the globe - arguably!) can grow to basically a palm-sized mini computer with a dual-core processor, 1GB of RAM, and gigabytes worth of data!
Note that even these new phones already outspec'ed all of the current central stations for less money.
Plus, they will only got cheaper over time.

Today's market only demand more and more advanced gadgets that continue to outspec even our imagination.

It would be wiser for the current MRR digital manufacturer to just stick to their current digital controller technology, and start thinking towards this step, rather than over-investing in any new central station model - which will only be ridiculed by technological advances of the likes of today's Apple or Samsung.
Now collecting C-Sine models.
Offline franciscohg  
#14 Posted : 21 April 2012 20:04:23(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
mmmmm....perhaps integrated WiFi?
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline 3rail4life  
#15 Posted : 21 April 2012 20:52:04(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post
mmmmm....perhaps integrated WiFi?

yes, integrated WiFi would be good on the feature on the 60216, and we can hope for a new software patch to use a usb receiver on the older units, then I want to see that android app written so I don't have to buy an I pod/phone/pad, or whatever the next new thing will be.

I am enjoying learning the CS2, love all the cool features, I just hope that the 60215 it is not yesterdays news next year.

Gordon
Offline steventrain  
#16 Posted : 21 September 2012 21:12:26(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
The new one is under developer and planning for 2013 - Stummi.

Let's wait and see what happend in 2013.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline charles Sharpe  
#17 Posted : 21 September 2012 21:56:41(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

You are right there. I have only been running marklin for 6 years but I have had 2 CS and they have been back 4 times know.

Charles.
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#18 Posted : 21 September 2012 22:37:20(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Sorry to hear that, Charles! Crying ThumbDown
Offline H0  
#19 Posted : 21 September 2012 23:10:11(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
Let's wait and see what happend in 2013.
Do you have a link to the thread on Stummi’s Forum?

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline aos  
#20 Posted : 22 September 2012 21:12:02(UTC)
aos

Scotland   
Hi Charles, Do you plug the transformer and CS2 directly into the mains outlet? Where computers and other similar delicate electronic components are concerned, I always use a voltage surge protector. They cost only a few quid from the high street stores and I regard them as a wise investment. Alan
Offline Webmaster  
#21 Posted : 22 September 2012 21:24:59(UTC)
Webmaster

As H0 says it is likely that some component is to be replaced, like the small screen for a bigger oled one, a faster processor or such...

I certainly hope they will stick to the architecture and make the internal software upgradable. We don't really need Yet Another Controller of a different kind unless it is completely software based.
We got burned with 2 rapid technology shifts from the 6021 -> CS1 (Ecos) -> CS2 due to company pride, lawyers and squabble...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline H0  
#22 Posted : 22 September 2012 21:44:34(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
The latest rumour I remember reading on Stummi's Forum is from September 14, 2012:
http://www.stummiforum.d...pic.php?p=863199#p863199

"Auf meine Frage, wann die CS wieder erhältlich ist, oder ob gar eine CS 3 in Planung sei, erhielt ich zur Antwort, daß die CS (unter der Nr. 60215) ab Ende September wieder erhältlich ist. Im Innenleben wurde einiges verändert (geänderte Sicherheitsvorschriften usw.), aber sonst bleibt es bei der CS 2."
CS2 60215 will be available again as of end of September. It comes with a new hardware version due to modified security requirements, but otherwise unchanged.

This is what a visitor of the Göppingen factory got told by a Märklin employee.

Would they tell us if a CS3 60216 would come next year? Probably not coz they want to sell CS2 until then.
Still I think there is no CS3 in the queue. IMHO they don't need a faster processsor, instead they should optimize the existing code (to make e.g. loco selection faster).
The GFP also needs optimization. It's a shame how much the lights of locos with 6080/6090 decoder flicker when run with MS2 or CS2 (hardly any flickering when run with Intellibox or CS1 reloaded).

BTW: the same post sez that CS2 will never support SX (Selectrix) and that the SX port will remain unused.

But maybe I missed new information on Stummi's Forum, that's why I asked for a link.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline charles Sharpe  
#23 Posted : 22 September 2012 21:48:13(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Originally Posted by: aos Go to Quoted Post
Hi Charles, Do you plug the transformer and CS2 directly into the mains outlet? Where computers and other similar delicate electronic components are concerned, I always use a voltage surge protector. They cost only a few quid from the high street stores and I regard them as a wise investment. Alan

Hi.

I do use a surge protecter . All the things for the layout goes into it.

Charles.
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline xxup  
#24 Posted : 22 September 2012 21:52:31(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: aos Go to Quoted Post

Totally agree with this.. I have them on my garage doors, computers, TVs.. One some things I also have a UPS.. After an incident where a car hit a power pole causing the high voltage lines to contact the domestic service, I had a surge unit (red circle in the picture below) placed in my mains power board...

UserPostedImage
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Online Goofy  
#25 Posted : 30 September 2012 09:12:23(UTC)
Goofy

Now when Marklin did start to producing own sound decoder i suppose they decides to change perhaps this time how CS3 will become in new shape too...
Who knows?
H0
Offline H0  
#26 Posted : 25 August 2015 11:09:24(UTC)
H0

Most likely there will be 60216 next year (or even earlier).

The 60215 is no longer available: red traffic lights, not in stock, discontinued.

Will the 60216 still be a "CS2" or will it be a "CS3"? Wait with baited breath ...
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline xxup  
#27 Posted : 25 August 2015 12:57:24(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Interesting.. Mellow
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline sjlauritsen  
#28 Posted : 25 August 2015 15:23:29(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Well it looks like there are new decoders on the way.
http://www.maerklin.de/d...ten2015/60972u60972.html
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by sjlauritsen
Offline Hackcell  
#29 Posted : 25 August 2015 15:41:31(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
It will be great if M started to support railcom+ or another sort of protocol which enables to identify what loco is crossing a given section of the layout.
Danilo Jiménez
Union Pacific and DB Cargo H0 models.
Märklin, Brawa, MTH and some Walthers cars (nobody is perfect!)
Pinball machines, jukeboxes and Horses.
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
Offline waorb  
#30 Posted : 25 August 2015 15:47:37(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   

What if they create just a setup box that have an ethernet, so you just plug in into your wireless router, and in parallel have a software to Apple (IOS/OSX), Intel (Windows), and Androids?

Delegate the hardware part to the user, and maintain just the "Central Station" software available in all flavors?
For instance, the user needs only the CAN "interface".

Keep watching... Cool

Cheers,

Walter
Offline 3rail4life  
#31 Posted : 25 August 2015 15:59:41(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
Originally Posted by: sjlauritsen Go to Quoted Post

4096 speed steps, 32 functions, new decoder tool programming software, USB programming stick, it is looking very interesting...
Offline jeehring  
#32 Posted : 25 August 2015 17:31:31(UTC)
jeehring

The 60215 is no longer available: red traffic lights, not in stock, discontinued.

Will the 60216 still be a "CS2" or will it be a "CS3"? Wait with baited breath ...

I bet on a new hardware mostly bought on the shelves...
While CS2 is a 100% specific development by Marklin & for Marklin....

But I hope - just my hope - there will be at least a new development of a physical interface + specific ergonomy dedicated to driving trains that would connect to the central unit (or integrated into it)
About the software I think the latest versions of CS2 software already announce the CS3 software ...
Whatever the hardware of the next central station I think its software could be an extension of the CS2 software .... would be only to ease, soften & strengthen, compatibility between them (CS2/CS3)
I can't imagine this new MARKLIN management designing, developping, an entirely new & original object....
One thing almost sure: no more integrated S88 bus...
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jeehring
Offline jeehring  
#33 Posted : 25 August 2015 17:53:06(UTC)
jeehring

Originally Posted by: 3rail4life Go to Quoted Post

4096 speed steps, 32 functions, new decoder tool programming software, USB programming stick, it is looking very interesting...

hum....we will need a new "CSx interface" to activate those 32 functions....

Online Goofy  
#34 Posted : 25 August 2015 19:13:18(UTC)
Goofy

I notice missing information about speed steps to choose.
Maybe this time to use 28 and 126 speed step with mfx protocol.

I believe Märklin will soon present an new CS3.
Hopefully this time complete system without to have upgrade program.
H0
Offline clapcott  
#35 Posted : 25 August 2015 22:24:06(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: jeehring Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: 3rail4life Go to Quoted Post

hum....we will need a new "CSx interface" to activate those 32 functions....

The CS2 CAN documentation has always referenced 32 functions. However the structure of the current file format (for the GFP) "appear" restrictive and will need an extension if not a replacement.

Similarly the GFP internally uses speed stepping from 0 to 1000, so modifications/replacements are also needed there to support 4096 steps

Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline H0  
#36 Posted : 25 August 2015 22:53:14(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
Similarly the GFP internally uses speed stepping from 0 to 1000, so modifications/replacements are also needed there to support 4096 steps
No, the 4096 speed steps are used internally by the decoder. I don't think the track protocol will have more than 126 speed steps.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline sjlauritsen  
#37 Posted : 26 August 2015 06:01:49(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
IMHO a CS3 as a "completely new device with new features" does not really make any sense to me.

What we see now in the current version of the CS is the direction that Märklin has chosen. With the amount of time and development that has gone into the current software, I would expect the next generation of the CS to be nothing but a hardware revision. Much like the 60213 - 60215. A hardware revision was due anyway, since the 60215 has been on the market for some time now.

All of the features of the current digital system is running fine on the current CS, although it could benefit for some speedup. With Märklins focus currently being on the "Spielewelt" features, which are purely software related, and the previous release of all new stationary decoders, signals, feedback modules and a new book about the CS2 on its way, I would expect the CS not to change in any way. The CS is basically a small computer, it will do whatever you put into it. Heck, if you hack it, you could even install Linux on it and use it as a pc - albeit a slow pc. Smile Everything is software related and can be updated to support new ideas. I think this is what will happen from now on.

Of course, at some point, they will have to draw a line in the sand and say: "Now we need to let the old CS go, and create a new one to support new features". I just do not see that happening right now.

The only thing that could talk in favour of a new CS is the announcement of 32 functions. They may address that by adding additional buttons to a new CS. The thing that talks against it is that 32 function icons are starting to pop up around the current CS2 interface. Chances are that they would simply re-design the user interface to address this new feature.

Now that the 60215 just went out of production, we will all know soon enough. Smile
Søren from Denmark
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sjlauritsen
Offline H0  
#38 Posted : 26 August 2015 07:42:24(UTC)
H0

Xmas is coming. Will Märklin go into the XMas sales without a premium digital controller?

Or will be see a 60216 before Xmas?

Either way: I guess the specifications have been written a long time ago and it is too late to express wishes now.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline kiwiAlan  
#39 Posted : 26 August 2015 12:08:07(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Xmas is coming. Will Märklin go into the XMas sales without a premium digital controller?

Or will be see a 60216 before Xmas?

Either way: I guess the specifications have been written a long time ago and it is too late to express wishes now.

More to the point, have they produced all the mega start sets from this years NI brochure that have 60215 CS2s in them? Are they available over the counter yet? They often don't come to market until just before Christmas.

Maybe this will explain why I have seen so many dealers specialling off the 60215.
Offline Shamu  
#40 Posted : 26 August 2015 13:07:31(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   

Arh, just curious Tom where you spotted that as I was just looking and its green traffic light and available from factory ?

LINK
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline H0  
#41 Posted : 26 August 2015 14:15:06(UTC)
H0

Maybe someone pressed the wrong key while updating the database.

Surprise, surprise: 60215 available again, so maybe there won't be a 60216 later this year.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline jeehring  
#42 Posted : 26 August 2015 15:39:48(UTC)
jeehring

...the CS2 60213 has been launched just before the end of the year, round about october 2008......At that time the CS1 was discontinued & not available for at least 6 months...
PS .
I have not seen Tom's post before writing this one.

Edited by user 26 August 2015 19:08:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sjlauritsen  
#43 Posted : 26 August 2015 16:00:26(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Surprise, surprise: 60215 available again, so maybe there won't be a 60216 later this year.

Nice! Rumours move fast on the Interwebz! Smile

Søren from Denmark
Offline kiwiAlan  
#44 Posted : 26 August 2015 18:29:04(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

You mean goofy hasn't been proved right after all ??? LOL LOL LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Online Goofy  
#45 Posted : 26 August 2015 18:35:21(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

You mean goofy hasn't been proved right after all ??? LOL LOL LOL

Steventrain did stand question to the Märklin and they did answered back,that we have to wait and see.
To use 32 functions with the new decoder 3,you need new software in the CSx.
60215 available again is just because to end the store of old CS2.
H0
Online Goofy  
#46 Posted : 26 August 2015 18:40:41(UTC)
Goofy

Maybe maybe there won't be a 60216 later this year.

Maybe maybe next year...Laugh

H0
Offline clapcott  
#47 Posted : 27 August 2015 06:18:11(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
I do think that you would have to be rather desperate to buy a CS2 direct from Marklin at over 800 Euro.

That said, when some online dealers have dropped the 60215 from there offerings (i.e. not just "not in stock" but not even orderable), you may have to get in fast or face the uncertainty of product non-availability or a product that "doesn't tick all the boxes"

Who still has a 6021 ? - Better the devil you know Sneaky
Peter
Offline RayF  
#48 Posted : 28 August 2015 13:00:53(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I still have my old 6021 but no longer use it. It's nominally a spare for my MS2, but I'd be hard pressed to find all the right addresses if I had to use it today! Smile
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline river6109  
#49 Posted : 28 August 2015 16:38:36(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Peter, yes I still have my 6021 and I don't think I will ever get rid off it and also the earlier version 6020. I wish they could have combined them in some sort of way, I mean being able to use the k83 and keyboards but nevertheless it is still usable with my ECoS as a speed controller and has now the ability to access 12 functions and guess what never had any problem with it, no updates, no bugs it just works and still works after 30 odd years, its like the tv's, washing machine, fridges and freezers from that era.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Online Goofy  
#50 Posted : 28 August 2015 17:25:09(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Peter, yes I still have my 6021 and I don't think I will ever get rid off it and also the earlier version 6020. I wish they could have combined them in some sort of way, I mean being able to use the k83 and keyboards but nevertheless it is still usable with my ECoS as a speed controller and has now the ability to access 12 functions and guess what never had any problem with it, no updates, no bugs it just works and still works after 30 odd years, its like the tv's, washing machine, fridges and freezers from that era.

John

Good old days before by produce good stuff with the quality like 6021!
Let´s see if Märklin do it same way with the new CS3.

H0