Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline sikardon  
#1 Posted : 11 August 2012 16:08:35(UTC)
sikardon

Indonesia   
Dear All,

I just bought 60215 Love, and now trying to learn RocRail, so that the train will run automatically, controlled by computer, like in Swiss Miniature in Lugano, or Alexa Mall in Alexanderplatz Drool.

In order for RocRail (or other train control software) to run train automatically, I need to put sensors in my layout. By googling, for 3 rail system, at least there is 2 option, using circuit track 24994 or contact track 24995. Anybody using that 2 track items? Could you please share the pros and cons between them? I heard that contact track can be easily fabricated in C track, just need to cut bridge between outer rail and put some spade connectors or something like that, so no need to buy 24995, is it true? In my layout, I plan to have bidirectional section, where train can run in both directions, so I guess I need 24994 instead of 24995, am I right? How to install 24994/24995 in the layout, like cabling or else? Do I need another Marklin items for 24994/24995 to work (like S88 decoders, 60880)?

Many thanks before, for your hints and infos.

Cheers,
Sony

Edited by user 28 March 2013 10:08:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline witzlerh  
#2 Posted : 11 August 2012 17:36:33(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Cool! Yes you can use any C track as a contact track. However for your bi-directional needs you may want to occationally use the toggle type. This can be set so you can activate a different circuit depending on the direction the toggle is tilted.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
Offline sikardon  
#3 Posted : 11 August 2012 17:59:35(UTC)
sikardon

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: witzlerh Go to Quoted Post
Cool! Yes you can use any C track as a contact track. However for your bi-directional needs you may want to occationally use the toggle type. This can be set so you can activate a different circuit depending on the direction the toggle is tilted.

Hi Harald,

Thanks for the hints, but unfortunately, I didn't get it Confused.
What is the toggle type? I think in 24994, there is toggle, am I right?
How to set it?

I guess I have to buy 24994 first, and see it myself BigGrin.

Regards,
Sony
Offline amartinezv  
#4 Posted : 11 August 2012 19:22:59(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
Originally Posted by: sikardon Go to Quoted Post
Dear All,

I just bought 60215 Love, and now trying to learn RocRail, so that the train will run automatically, controlled by computer, like in Swiss Miniature in Lugano, or Alexa Mall in Alexanderplatz Drool.

In order for RocRail (or other train control software) to run train automatically, I need to put sensors in my layout. By googling, for 3 rail system, at least there is 2 option, using circuit track 24994 or contact track 24995. Anybody using that 2 track items? Could you please share the pros and cons between them? I heard that contact track can be easily fabricated in C track, just need to cut bridge between outer rail and put some spade connectors or something like that, so no need to buy 24995, is it true? In my layout, I plan to have bidirectional section, where train can run in both directions, so I guess I need 24994 instead of 24995, am I right? How to install 24994/24995 in the layout, like cabling or else? Do I need another Marklin items for 24994/24995 to work (like S88 decoders, 60880)?

Many thanks before, for your hints and infos.

Cheers,
Sony

Hello

I will try to answer your questions

Yes you need to put some sensors

Circuit track 24994 detects all vehicles with pick up shoe, also is direction dependent

Contact track 24995 detects all vehicles with non isolated wheels, all marklin stock, and is very easy to do by yourself by means you describe.

Although you have bidirectional sections you don't need the 24994, the software can handle the sensors depending of the direction, the same sensor can do differents things depending of the direction, I use Train Controler from RR&Co and works in this way.

In this link you have some drawings that show how to install the sensors and s88

http://www.terra.es/pers...o/trucos/Trucos2.htm#s88

the 2º is the most usual and convenient,

Also here you see how to do your own 24995

http://www.umbert.net/via_de_contacto.htm

And, yes, you need the s88 from marklin or compatible, for example Viessman and LDT also have s88 100% compatibles with märklin.

It is important that you know what components you need and why you need, also is important understand the software.

If you have more questions feel free to ask.

I hope this helps

Best regards

Antonio Martínez
marklin, IB, era 3, Train controller
www.raildigital.es/davidruso
Offline witzlerh  
#5 Posted : 11 August 2012 20:31:01(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Sony the 24994 has a toggle that sticks higher than the pukos thar make the 3rd rail. Now as the slider goes over the toggle, the toggle tilts over in the direction the slider is going. As the toggle tilts over, it closes a circuit underneath. There are two curcuit mechanisms underneath, one for each direction. I believe that there may be Marklin sockets to connect to for each direction.
Harald
Offline Nicky6  
#6 Posted : 17 February 2015 11:09:59(UTC)
Nicky6

Switzerland   
Hello there

I'm trying to install some automatic stop-sections in my staging yard. I use 24994 and a M84 decoder together with my CS2. I have 4 staging tracks and they are #25 - #28 on my CS2. These are all one-way tracks. So the 24994 is working only in one direction.

I have successfully achieved what I want, the loco's are passing the 24994's and stops at the given isolated part of the track. So far so good.
But on the CS2-display, the switch don't change from green to red, the loco's stops but the switches remains green. Confused And when I press the green switch, the train departs as normal. I would really like the switch to change to red, so I know that there is a train in that track.

Apparently I've connected it right, since the loco's are stopping as they should. Is there something on the tool-site for the switch I have change?
If anyone have experienced this and have a solution, I appreciate any input!

Thanks and best regards

nicky6
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Nicky6
Offline witzlerh  
#7 Posted : 17 February 2015 14:17:19(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
The 24994 contact track only makes contact when a slider is over it. If you have a moving train, the contact will only be made for a millisecond but that is enough. The slider is only 1.5 to 2 inches long, if you of slow enough, it will stop while the slider is still pushing over the toggle.
If you want an occupancy detector, you need to isolate a rail. That will stay on while there is any solid axel on that track section. The problem with that is it will not know which direction the train was going. The 24994 is direction specific.
Harald
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 17 February 2015 15:30:15(UTC)
H0

Hi, Nicky!
Originally Posted by: Nicky6 Go to Quoted Post
Apparently I've connected it right, since the loco's are stopping as they should. Is there something on the tool-site for the switch I have change?
If anyone have experienced this and have a solution, I appreciate any input!
Apparently you didn't wire things correctly for visual feedback on the CS2.

I presume you connected the circuit track directly to the m84. This way things work fine, but you bypass the CS2 by having the circuit track trigger the m84 directly. The state of the m84 changes, but the CS2 won't know it.

To get the correct visual feedback on the CS2 you have to connect the circuit track to the CS2 by means of s88 feedback decoders and have the CS2 trigger the m84.
This is more expensive, but also opens up new options as the circuit track can also trigger other actions through the CS2.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Nicky6  
#9 Posted : 17 February 2015 17:07:45(UTC)
Nicky6

Switzerland   
Ok, thanks for clearing that out.

In the catalogue it says that I need a L88 to connect the S88 to the CS2, so I guess this is going to cost me some extra money to get this working properly. But do I still need the M84 to control these isolated track-parts or will the M84 be obsolete with the S88 & L88?

Does anyone have some kind of diagram of the wiring of this, it seems quiet complicated?

Thanks for all help so far, my dealer cannot really help me with these technical matters, so it's great you more experienced guys can help me out!

Very best regards
Nick
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 17 February 2015 18:06:02(UTC)
H0

But do I still need the M84 to control these isolated track-parts or will the M84 be obsolete with the S88 & L88?
The 88 decoders are input decoders and they will not make the m84 output decoder obsolete.

Your approach is working - except for the missing visual feedback on the CS2 screen.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline BwanaJoe  
#11 Posted : 28 March 2015 03:41:06(UTC)
BwanaJoe

United States   

Does anyone have some kind of diagram of the wiring of this, it seems quiet complicated?

Since I'm going to down this route as a newbie as well, does anyone have that wiring/visual guide for this setup? Märklin seems to have dropped the ball in recent years with the customer service/tech help side of things.