Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline df1965  
#1 Posted : 02 November 2014 00:55:49(UTC)
df1965

United States   
I'm a new Marklin HO modeler. I would welcome suggestions on web sites or books that would give me an introduction and overview of the subject. I have some experience in US N-scale, Thanks
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by df1965
Offline leahcim  
#2 Posted : 02 November 2014 05:13:00(UTC)
leahcim

Australia   
Hi df1965,

I'm new here as well. I never introduced myself though. Is 1965 your year of birth? It's mine.
Looks like you got yourself a couple of nice marklin sets to kick off your marklin start.
The silver coaches are one of my favourite passenger wagons. They originally had two versions. One with interior and one without.
Which have you got?

regards
michael
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by leahcim
Offline morsing  
#3 Posted : 02 November 2014 09:37:57(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   
Hi and welcome!

I only started in this hobby a few months ago, and be prepared, it's expensive! I almost gave up :-(

-----
Modelling west Denmark era IV - possibly with some out-of-place elements!
Marklin C-track + CS3+
12m2 layout to be controlled by RocRail
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by morsing
Offline kweekalot  
#4 Posted : 02 November 2014 09:53:48(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Hello df1965,
Welcome to the forum. ThumpUp

If you are new to Marklin, it's always good to read some old catalogs and instruction books and manuals and such. You can find those as a PDF file on the Spanish LCTM website here: LINK 1 (catalogs) and LINK 2 (manuals)

Marco
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline RayF  
#5 Posted : 02 November 2014 10:46:56(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hello,

If you would like to give us a name to address you by it would be nice. "df1965" doesn't easily roll off the tongue! What is the "d" for, David?, Derek? Desmond? BigGrin

Reading through this forum will give you an idea of the different aspects of the hobby, but it will be up to you to decide what appeals most to you. Some prefer to collect older models in glass cases, some like to build a highly detailed scenic layout, others like to keep up to date with the latest technology and run computer controlled digital layouts... The options are many and varied.

I would advise, as Marco suggested, that you read Marklin catalogues. They are a rich source of information. A good start would be to obtain a copy of the current catalogue for 2014.

Also visit the Marklin website for an in depth view of current models.

http://www.maerklin.com/en/

Good luck, and welcome to this most absorbing hobby!

Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Renato  
#6 Posted : 02 November 2014 10:52:52(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Hi df1965,

Welcome to the forum from me too.

Cheers

Renato
Offline rschaffr  
#7 Posted : 02 November 2014 13:28:37(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Welcome! This is a great hobby in that there are so many facets depending on your interests; technical, layout planning, landscape development, operation. A good source of Marklin specific information is at the Marklin USA site (http://www.marklin.com/tech/). Also browse around this site. It contains a wealth of information and is well organized by subject. I would start in the "General MMR" section, then look at other peoples layouts ("Show us your layout"), then go through some of the other specific areas depending on your interests.

Again, welcome!
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/IB), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline df1965  
#8 Posted : 03 November 2014 01:42:14(UTC)
df1965

United States   
Originally Posted by: kweekalot Go to Quoted Post
Hello df1965,
Welcome to the forum. ThumpUp

If you are new to Marklin, it's always good to read some old catalogs and instruction books and manuals and such. You can find those as a PDF file on the Spanish LCTM website here: LINK 1 (catalogs) and LINK 2 (manuals)

Marco

Marco,

This was a big help. Thanks so much.

Offline df1965  
#9 Posted : 03 November 2014 01:48:19(UTC)
df1965

United States   
Originally Posted by: morsing Go to Quoted Post
Hi and welcome!

I only started in this hobby a few months ago, and be prepared, it's expensive! I almost gave up :-(

I know how money-consuming Marklin could be. I don't plan on getting too deep into the hobby. I just saw these trains on eBay and was immediately attracted to them. Probably I'll just build a simple 4X8 and watch them run around and around. Of course, everything is cheaper in America (just don't get sick unless you have insurance).

Can anyone identify the locomotives and cars I acquired? When were they made?
Offline cookee_nz  
#10 Posted : 03 November 2014 06:25:27(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: morsing Go to Quoted Post
Hi and welcome!

This is an understandable viewpoint, but consider what else you'd be spending your money on if not Marklin (in terms of a past-time / hobby I mean), vs 'vices' (not meant unkindly) such as alcohol, tobacco, indulgent food, chocolate etc.

Anything currently 'trendy' will often quickly go out of style and soon forgotten. Computer games being an excellent example, and you can spend a small fortune on those. Books, DVD's etc tend to acquire shelf-space and apart from an occasional airing or viewing lie pretty much dormant.

Interactive hobbies such as Model-Railroading, but also including other 'creative' forms such as Lego, Mecanno, Wargames, painting, pottery etc tend to last and often leave something that can be enjoyed over and over.

And if you look after them, very very rarely will you ever lose money. You may not actually 'make' any, but I would maintain that your original investment in a range like Marklin will hold it's value very well compared to other alternatives.

BigGrin

Cookee

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline hxmiesa  
#11 Posted : 03 November 2014 10:13:50(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Welcome to the forum.
No shortage of information about Märklin. I think close to all of their publications and instructions are reachable on the internet.

If you are going to buy NEW Märklin, I think you will probably find that the USA is a very EXPENSIVE country in this case!
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline RayF  
#12 Posted : 03 November 2014 10:43:42(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: df1965 Go to Quoted Post

Can anyone identify the locomotives and cars I acquired? When were they made?

Hi,

UserPostedImage

The first of your trains consists of a 3005 Br23 locomotive and several "Silverfish" coaches of 24cm length. Both were in the Marklin catalogue for many years.

According to the website of Helmut Kern the 3005 was in the catalogue from 1954 to 1972, and then continuing under the Primex label until 1977.

The coaches are 4042 (without interior 1966 to 1969) or 4082 (with interior 1970 to 1980)

Helmut Kern's website is at this address:

http://www.hfkern.gmxhome.de/

UserPostedImage

The second train's locomotive a 3048 Br01, produced 1960 to 1980, and then by Primex 1984 to 1992. It's possible it might be an earlier model such as 3026 or 3008

The coaches in this train are (I think):

4 X Green DB 2nd class 4022 (No interior 1959 to 1971) or 4052 (With interior 1972 to 2003)
1 X Blue DB 1st class 4027 (No interior 1959 to 1971) or 4051 (With interior1972 to 2003)
1 X Red DSG Dining car 4024 (No interior 1958 to 1971)
1 X Green DB Baggage car 4026 (No interior 1958 to 1999)

I'm not sure about the 2nd class coaches as two of them have a different number of windows The ones with only 8 windows per side might be 4023 1st class coaches. Better photos migh help to identify them correctly.

I hope this is helpful!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF