Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Cyborg  
#1 Posted : 10 March 2014 03:22:03(UTC)
Cyborg

Australia   
I have a 12 month old Mobile Station (60653 model). For the last few months it has been intermittently freezing where none of the controls/buttons work, it is powered up but none of the buttons work, not even the stop button. The only way to stop is to cut the power. When it re-boots it generally works O.K. until the next time it freezes. Yesterday it froze and now will not come out of the frozen mode, when it re-boots it is powered up but no buttons work including the STOP button. Has this happened to anyone else, is it just a software issue or is it hardware? I did a factory reset last week just in case but obviously it did not fix the problem.

I packed it off back to Germany today so hopefully they fix the problem (and do not take to long to do it like the normally 2 - 3 months they take!)

regards

Paul
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Cyborg
Offline Cyborg  
#2 Posted : 21 June 2014 15:27:53(UTC)
Cyborg

Australia   
Well after a couple of months I finally received this back from Marklin. They replaced the cable and all is fine now, but in the mean time I bought a Central Station so this will be a spare.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Cyborg
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#3 Posted : 23 June 2014 09:24:20(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Hi Paul - i also had that freezing prob, but only very rarely thank goodness! my problem of late is when i slow down any loco, it suddenly speeds up, or the locos stop suddenly. Most annoying...both my 60653 are about 2-3 yrs old. Have written to "M" to find out what can be done....as you say... i will have to send them to mother M, and wait the 3 to 4 months....
I am SERIOUSLY thinking of investing in a CS as well!!
regards, Joe
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 23 June 2014 10:20:29(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
My MS2 has only rarely frozen up, and when it has done so it has been due to a momentary short caused by a derailment or similar issue. My old 6021 used to show the same behaviour.

Paul, in your case it looks like the problem was the cable all along. Cables can sometimes get damaged by getting trapped somewhere and pinched. Another very common cause of damage is having the cable wound around the unit when not in use.

Joe, your problem looks very much like a corruption of the software in one of the MS2s. As the MS2s update each other when both are connected to the box the error will have propagated to the second controller. If you get one updated to the latest software and then use that one as the Master to update your second MS2 then the issue should clear up. If this doesn't work then maybe you have the same hardware fault on both, which is less likely but still a possibility, especially if the fault is man made, such as for example being caused by tripping over the cable repeatedly!

However, I'm no expert, so I might be totally wrong. It will be interesting to hear what the solution to your problem is.

Ray
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#5 Posted : 23 June 2014 12:34:29(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Thanx Ray - will let you know what "M" replies to my query......
I'm looking for someone in the area with a "new" MS2 - i have v1.81 installed, or else someone with a CS? can one update a MS2 via a Central station?...could the fault lie in the connector box?....mind you, I doubt that seeing as I have swopped connector boxes, and power packs (I have 2 of each), with no diff....
Many thanks, Joe
Offline Cyborg  
#6 Posted : 23 June 2014 15:03:38(UTC)
Cyborg

Australia   
Hi Joe,
Yes you do update the MS via the CS. Your problem is different to mine as the cable was damaged and probably shorting out. Mine was still under warranty and repaired accordingly by Marklin in Germany. I have found them great when honouring warranty repairs but are slow and have zero communication so you never know if they have even received the item until you get it back fixed! They rarely answer emails.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Cyborg