Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline danmarklinman  
#1 Posted : 10 June 2014 17:10:13(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Dear all does any one have Electrotren AC 3rail locomotives, What do the run like on K and C track.
And do you have oneThumpUp
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 10 June 2014 17:58:35(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Dan,

I don't personally have any, but I know that Electrotren had a full 3 rail program for many years, using track almost identical to Marklin's, so I would imagine they will work fine.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline steventrain  
#3 Posted : 10 June 2014 18:00:51(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
I do not have any, Make sure check the Electrotren loco run on min radius 360mm curved.

What class of loco are you looking for?
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline danmarklinman  
#4 Posted : 10 June 2014 18:19:33(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Thanks Guys, inconclusive as yet. The problem is not old Electrotren, but the new stuff by Hornby International as it may not have been produced in Spain and been tested as well?
I have had a bad expearance with one make being AC? But in practice the only thing AC about it was the decoder. The wheel/ axles were DC .?
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline hxmiesa  
#5 Posted : 10 June 2014 18:23:32(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
I have an older DSB MZ from Electrotren. Works flawlessly with both M and K tracks. The running is rather rough, and noise rather loud.
Older Electrotren stuff uses Mäerklin compatible wheels and couplers, as they themselves had a production of M-like tracks for many years.

I think that newer/modern Electrotren stuff is made primarily for the 2-rail DC market, so it would really help if you could be more detailed about what item(s) that interrest you...
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline danmarklinman  
#6 Posted : 10 June 2014 18:53:37(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post
I have an older DSB MZ from Electrotren. Works flawlessly with both M and K tracks. The running is rather rough, and noise rather loud.
Older Electrotren stuff uses Mäerklin compatible wheels and couplers, as they themselves had a production of M-like tracks for many years.

I think that newer/modern Electrotren stuff is made primarily for the 2-rail DC market, so it would really help if you could be more detailed about what item(s) that interrest you...

Hi thanks, yes one of the new SNCF railcars? Era/ 3 or 4. It is tooling from the new Hornby Electrotren range? Cheers Dan
danmarklinman attached the following image(s):
image.jpg
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan
Offline steventrain  
#7 Posted : 10 June 2014 18:59:39(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: danmarklinman Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post

Hi thanks, yes one of the new SNCF railcars? Era/ 3 or 4. It is tooling from the new Hornby Electrotren range? Cheers Dan

You mean this one? http://www.hornbyinterna...ncf-state-of-origin.html
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline danmarklinman  
#8 Posted : 10 June 2014 19:08:26(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Yes that's the one. Looks very long, but I fear to long for 36 radius!
I think I might just settle for a Marklin Kittel bus 37258LOL it a bit shorter and if I'm honest it's a lot more interesting BigGrin
image.jpg
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#9 Posted : 10 June 2014 23:25:12(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
I have two 3rail and one two rail, one of the 3r being a silver Spanish railcar which is the same as the French, I haven't tested them thoroughly but it did run very wellon small radius.

I have a few Marklin engines that have horrible characteristics so buying another brand is hardly a great concern for me.

The only thing I dislike, plastic on everything inc details is very thing and feels very fragile, I doubt they'll cope well with mistreatment.

It may be all the same now but the ones I have seem to have superior quality to the today's rivarossi, Hornby stuff but as I've said it might be all the same now. The only thing that stops me from buying British trains is the quality of most of the manufacturers (mainly Hornby).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Iamnotthecrazyone
Offline danmarklinman  
#10 Posted : 11 June 2014 09:01:32(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Thank you for letting me know. Did you run it on C or K track. The last non Marklin model did not like curved K track points. Do you?
Cheers Dan
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan
#11 Posted : 11 June 2014 10:40:22(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Thank you for letting me know. Did you run it on C or K track. The last non Marklin model did not like curved K track points. Do you?
Cheers Dan

I don't have K, only C and M. I rarely use my trains so I have to emphasize testing wasn't extensive. It was on C, I don't remember if I had points or not, if I did were the long curved ones from starter set, I mainly wanted to check they worked. Considering the rail car is reasonably long it did well, the noise level was good also slow speeds and the decoder included worked well too. These were things I bought in Spain about 6-7 years ago things might have changed since but I am very happy with them and I still do check for new releases in case there is something I like.

When you say the last non Marklin was a well known brand? I have several non Marklin which in most cases aren't tested extensively but they work fine so far as I can see. I have also a few Marklin that come to mind which caused me trouble on particular situations so I am very open minded about trying other brands.
Offline danmarklinman  
#12 Posted : 11 June 2014 11:22:20(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
That's great I'm getting interested know? I don't suppose you could test it again on M track? That would give me definitive proof that it would be ok on k track curved points. The make I had was a Mehano SNCF BB 27000 electric. Nice model, but it kept derailing on curved K track points? Thanks for your help Dan
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan
#13 Posted : 11 June 2014 11:48:58(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
That's great I'm getting interested know? I don't suppose you could test it again on M track? That would give me definitive proof that it would be ok on k track curved points. The make I had was a Mehano SNCF BB 27000 electric. Nice model, but it kept derailing on curved K track points? Thanks for your help Dan

I can try but you'll need to give me a couple of days as I don't have everything handy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Iamnotthecrazyone
Offline danmarklinman  
#14 Posted : 11 June 2014 14:41:38(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Iamnotthecrazyone Go to Quoted Post

I can try but you'll need to give me a couple of days as I don't have everything handy.

Looking at it again. It might just be easier to buy to coaches and therefore give myself a Marklin Omnibus SNCF. Thank you for all your help. Dan
image.jpg
image.jpg
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan
#15 Posted : 19 June 2014 00:04:50(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Hello Dan,

I have just done the test with M track and a manual point in less than perfect condition but usable enough. I was disappointed to see that roughly 1 out of 6 passes (at the point) it would derail. C track will probably give you much better results, I am not experienced with K. After looking at the unit again it seems the current pick up is a real Marklin pick up but the unit is way too light to prevent it from having these kind of problems, perhaps adding weight might solve it. It is still a very long unit and on tight radius it looks weird and it will take with it half the scenery in lots of layouts. Alex
Offline Alberto Pedrini  
#16 Posted : 19 June 2014 22:02:06(UTC)
Alberto Pedrini

Italy   
Alberto

Marklinfan Club Italia
www.marklinfan.net
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Alberto Pedrini
Offline RayF  
#17 Posted : 19 June 2014 23:21:15(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
These are seriously tempting locos, especially the SNCF and NS ones. ThumpUp
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Sparrow  
#18 Posted : 20 June 2014 00:43:24(UTC)
Sparrow

Spain   
I don't have that particular railcar, but own a handful of modern Electrotren 3C locos. I'm pretty sure they are digital 2C with an added slide untherneath and the correspondent wiring.
They are nicely detailed models, and one of the very few sources of RENFE stock. They all work well, but some of them will require some tweaking to achieve a really good performance on Märklin track, especially on curved points.
Most of them, if not all, can handle R1 curves without trouble.
Best regards.
Luis.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Sparrow
Offline Twinrover1965  
#19 Posted : 31 August 2019 19:50:56(UTC)
Twinrover1965

United Kingdom   
Thanks Guys, inconclusive as yet. The problem is not old Electrotren, but the new stuff by Hornby International as it may not have been produced in Spain and been tested as well?
I have had a bad expearance with one make being AC? But in practice the only thing AC about it was the decoder. The wheel/ axles were DC .?

I bought an Electrotren AC digital/sound version 276 in 2017 and ran it on a temporary analogue M track layout and the same thing happened. The last derailment on Marklin 5140 curved points caused a nasty short resulting in acrid smoke pouring out of the sides. Despite this the loco ran OK afterwards with lights but I assume the decoder is no more. Somebody has suggested I have a blanking plate fitted. Yes, and I bet it was the DC wheels that Hornby had fitted to the loco, as you suggest. This lousy imperialist company is deliberately trying to make AC control history in Spain by removing the integrity of the product. I understand they have made a crackpot decision to discontinue production of AC models in the Electrotren range. This is in contrast to the current policy of Sud Express to make AC versions of all their new locos. Hornby International's arrogance and contempt for its market will only end in tears! I dumped Hornby for Fleischmann/Marklin way back in the 1970s because of the rubbish quality of their locos and track. To think they got hold of a quality company such as Electrotren is depressing.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Twinrover1965