Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline sjlauritsen  
#1 Posted : 08 September 2013 07:31:06(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Hi guys

I noticed that the catanary books have dissappeared from the main catalogue. Does anybody know why? I always found these books and the signal book very informative and useful. I think it is a shame, if Märklin will no longer produce them.

(I am aware, that they are still available, but that will only last as long as they are in stock)
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by sjlauritsen
Offline xxup  
#2 Posted : 08 September 2013 10:06:33(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I imagine that the problem is that not many hobbyists use catenary on their layout. When Miss 13 (very soon to be Miss 14) was very young (i.e. Miss 3) I made the decision not to use catenary as it would get in the way of her play with the trains - for example, she used to reverse the train up to the crane and use the train to load or unload the containers (they had a metal strip inside)..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 08 September 2013 10:22:50(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: sjlauritsen Go to Quoted Post
I noticed that the catanary books have dissappeared from the main catalogue. Does anybody know why?
I know nothing.
The books are 2004 new items. Maybe there will be a revised edition coming soon - with the same number or with a new number.

With a new generation of signals, they will need new signal books. I never saw the catenary books, but with all those new digital controllers and accessories I can imagine that it needs a revision.

A new catalogue will bring a new list of discontinued items. The trade fair 2014 will bring a new New Items Brochure. So by February 2014 (or more probably January) we'll know more.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline steventrain  
#4 Posted : 08 September 2013 10:47:28(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
03902 English still on ebay.

Marklin 03902 Catenary book.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline steventrain  
#5 Posted : 08 September 2013 10:55:21(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
I can not find trackplan/digital books in the 2012/13 catalogue.Confused
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline sjlauritsen  
#6 Posted : 09 September 2013 14:20:05(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
The books are 2004 new items. Maybe there will be a revised edition coming soon - with the same number or with a new number.

Yeah, perhaps that is it.

I thought that they might do a new signal book because of the new signals. But I am clueless on the catenary book, since the products (to my knowledge) have not changed.

Søren from Denmark
Offline evan.v.giles  
#7 Posted : 16 November 2013 11:39:24(UTC)
evan.v.giles

Hi all,

It's possible they will put all of this stuff on a CD
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#8 Posted : 16 November 2013 11:55:03(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: evan.v.giles Go to Quoted Post
It's possible they will put all of this stuff on a CD

No, I doubt it, because they have never done it with their any of their other books (apart from the real old M track signal books you find on marklin.com).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Irish Rail  
#9 Posted : 31 March 2014 13:06:38(UTC)
Irish Rail

Ireland   
FYI: Marklin Catenary Manual for HO. English 03902 is showing as available in the Marklin on-line shop.

And I've just ordered it!

Edited by user 31 March 2014 19:34:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sjlauritsen  
#10 Posted : 31 March 2014 20:56:39(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: Irish Rail Go to Quoted Post
And I've just ordered it!

You have got to let me know if you think it is worth the money. :-) I am curious as to what it can contribute with. I have the Viessmann book, which I think is good.

Søren from Denmark
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sjlauritsen
Offline Irish Rail  
#11 Posted : 01 April 2014 17:23:54(UTC)
Irish Rail

Ireland   
It showed green (available) when I ordered. But now it has been removed completely from the shop and my order has not shipped yet. Fingers crossed, but I won't be surprised if they can't find it in the warehouse. :(
Offline steventrain  
#12 Posted : 01 April 2014 17:37:02(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
It showed green (available) when I ordered. But now it has been removed completely from the shop and my order has not shipped yet. Fingers crossed, but I won't be surprised if they can't find it in the warehouse. :(

03902 English was dropping from Marklin in 2011. No more left at most dealers.

03903 French edition still in stock from Lokshop http://ssl.lokshop.de/pr...10&products_id=58523
Offline Irish Rail  
#13 Posted : 01 April 2014 17:56:38(UTC)
Irish Rail

Ireland   
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post

03902 English was dropping from Marklin in 2011. No more left at most dealers.

03903 French edition still in stock from Lokshop http://ssl.lokshop.de/pr...10&products_id=58523

Damn! They must have screwed up their system. Oh, well. It was for a future development and just means I'll be bugging people here when I get to catenaries BigGrin
Offline RayF  
#14 Posted : 01 April 2014 20:06:03(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
The newer Marklin catenary is identical to the Viessmann product in all but a few details. I actually opted for the Viessmann catenary when I decided to model the overhead.

If you can get the Viessmann instructions they will do, whether you get one or the other.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline cookee_nz  
#15 Posted : 01 April 2014 22:27:23(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
I imagine that the problem is that not many hobbyists use catenary on their layout. When Miss 13 (very soon to be Miss 14) was very young (i.e. Miss 3) I made the decision not to use catenary as it would get in the way of her play with the trains - for example, she used to reverse the train up to the crane and use the train to load or unload the containers (they had a metal strip inside)..

Slightly diverging OT but this is one of those classic conundrums, personally I LOVE catenary, and electric loco's in general, and Trolley Buses, Trams etc. Something about overhead just yanks my wires. (I was going to say 'gets my poles up' but just didn't sound right LOL LOL )

BUT.... I also get the opposing view of what some may consider untidiness, and convenience.

My factory layout originally shipped with Catenary, but it was removed before I rescued it. I have debated many many a time about installing a replacement system, and I have plenty of it in storage but I know that it will add a degree of fragility and hassle to the layout that I do not currently have. I can lift loco's on and off with ease, and I don't have to worry if the grandkids want to play with it that they will snag something.

And should a panto slip, there's a lot of damage that can quickly happen.

But I love the side view of watching a loco gliding along, the panto wiper gradually rising and falling with the tension. My compromise my be to electrify only the inner oval so that the more accessible outer tracks are free, but the conflict there is that the inner oval is also the shortest, and most of my E-loks wouldn't look quite right on the tight radius bends. Unsure

Here in Wellington, we have had Trolley-buses since 1949 and quite a large network of them for a relatively small city. Actually several NZ cities had trolley-buses, just Wellington never got rid of hers. http://en.wikipedia.org/...olleybuses_in_Wellington - visitors to Wellington, especially those from Auckland would often remark at the surprise of seeing them still running.

Now it has been moved that the system should be withdrawn in a few years - http://www.stuff.co.nz/d...he-lines-are-coming-down

I have very mixed feelings about this. For me, the modern fleet of buses are not as iconic as what I remember as a child, they ran right past our front door so I would see dozens every day. But I do agree that the streets would look more neat and tidy without the overhead wires, where on some intersections they are just plain ugly. Yet in other corridors, the lines are run neatly, straight and have a nice symmetry about them.

Catenary / Overhead - I guess you either love it or hate it.

Cheers

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#16 Posted : 01 April 2014 22:28:49(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
A free PDF would be smart.... In the end this is all to sell catenary (not books) anyways

SBB Era 2-5
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline Irish Rail  
#17 Posted : 02 April 2014 10:15:18(UTC)
Irish Rail

Ireland   
Good news. I got confirmation this morning that my order has shipped, and it includes the catenary manual 03902. They must have found one hidden in a corner. I will confirm when (if?) it arrives and let you know if it's any good.
Offline Irish Rail  
#18 Posted : 07 April 2014 22:16:45(UTC)
Irish Rail

Ireland   
Good news - the Catenary Handbook arrived.
First impressions:
It's a hardback, in landscape layout with 96 pages, copyright 2004. Production values are high. There are a lot of photographs - it looks great! Some of the phtotos are real trains (section one), some are models, and many are instructional.
The text is obviously translated, but is mostly well written and easy to understand. The English isn't always perfect but is rarely difficult to interpret.

The book is divided into 5 sections (chapters?)
1. The Prototype - the history of catenary (pp7-24)
2. Products - Marklin catenary products (masts, wires, cross-spans) (pp25-31)
3. Assembly - a detailed "how to" chapter. All the basics, by the look of it. (pp32-43)
4. Station under catenary - beyond the basics. Instructions for dealing with stations, wide spans, branches, platforms, etc. (pp33-74)
5. Modifications and Additions - shortening, painting, patina, wall masts, anchor masts, etc. (pp75-91)
Drawings, glossary, and index completes the book.

I haven't read the whole book, but skipped through it. One surprising nugget - using the overhead wires to provide power to the locos is only possible in analogue operation due to the continuous short interruptions in contact between the pantograph and the overhead wire. These interruptions naturally interfere with digital signal interpretation. I hadn't thought of that.
Offline kbvrod  
#19 Posted : 07 April 2014 22:24:47(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,
Quote:
I haven't read the whole book, but skipped through it. One surprising nugget - using the overhead wires to provide power to the locos is only possible in analogue operation due to the continuous short interruptions in contact between the pantograph and the overhead wire. These interruptions naturally interfere with digital signal interpretation.

Myth not fact.

Dr D
Offline Irish Rail  
#20 Posted : 07 April 2014 22:38:56(UTC)
Irish Rail

Ireland   
That's what the book says... I'm innocent, it wasn't me, your honour. I have an alibi - my myth-es
Offline kbvrod  
#21 Posted : 07 April 2014 22:46:49(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
That's what the book says... I'm innocent, it wasn't me, your honour. I have an alibi - my myth-es

Hi Des!
Alright boyo!LOL next pint is on old Doktor Dirt!BigGrin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kbvrod
Offline klarinettmeister  
#22 Posted : 08 April 2014 09:10:37(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Seeing this post I ordered one book yesterday. I´ll propably get it in a few days. There seems to be quite good-to-know facts in it. I also have the signal book which is very good. It gives alot of tips of the newer signals (not those with DCC though).