Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline BrandonVA  
#1 Posted : 21 February 2014 21:26:58(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Hi all,

I've been having an occasional problem with my MS2 shutting off (activating stop) while trains are running. I've only noticed the issue since I got the California Zephyr (Marklin 26600). If I just run the CZ (even with lights, sound, coaches and tail lights on), no problem. If I start running another loco(s), sometimes it's an issue.

I thought perhaps I had reached the load limit for the MS2, but now I'm not sure that's the case. Since I have two MS2, I set one up to watch "main" as the trains are running. With the CZ running "full tilt" (up a grade, 40% speed, lights on, sounds on, coaches and coach tail lights on), it's generally drawing around 0.7 to 0.8 amps. The problems seem to occur when I add just a bit more load (another DCM mfx loco or two), generally bringing me to around 1.0-1.1 amps. If I load the system harder than I would during normal use (5 locos running, all fx/mfx, no Delta), plus a ton of lighted coaches (CZ plus 3 more with standard bulbs), I can get up around 1.6-1.7 amps, but I don't seem to see any shutoff problems at this load (although I could test it for longer). I have not noticed a pattern to the shutoff (trains in the same place, etc). I do not hear the buzzing you here before it shuts off on a short. I don't have any non powered locos on the track during these experiences (ie. the decoder using some juice while the train is stationary).

The MS2 just goes into stop, no indication as to why. If I resume it, everything runs again, it seems to stop at a random interval. I was wondering if maybe there is a momentary spike that runs it up to 1.9 amps (I believe this is the max for MS2), stopping it, but not registering on the screen? Or if there is another cause (something with the CZ, but I would expect it to be more consistent, and it runs fine on it's own).

For reference, I am using the 66365 30va power supply for MS2. I don't run any solenoid accessories, etc with it, just track power.

Thanks in advance,

Edit: MS2 software version is 1.83

-Brandon
Offline Webmaster  
#2 Posted : 21 February 2014 21:45:25(UTC)
Webmaster

Could it be heat problem in the MS2 electronics when the power limit is reached and the power transistors cut off due to heat protection?
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline BrandonVA  
#3 Posted : 21 February 2014 21:49:34(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
Could it be heat problem in the MS2 electronics ?

Hrm, I'll have to watch the temperature and see if there is a pattern. I wonder what the max operating temp for the MS2 is?

-Brandon

Offline Webmaster  
#4 Posted : 21 February 2014 21:54:42(UTC)
Webmaster

At work we have had big problems with a certain Lenovo laptop computer model (T410 S) which cuts off due to CPU overheating when under high load...

So that's why I suggested heat as a possible cause...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Online H0  
#5 Posted : 21 February 2014 22:48:15(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: BrandonVA Go to Quoted Post
For reference, I am using the 66365 30va power supply for MS2.
The maximum output of the trackbox is 1.9 A, but the nominal output of the power supply is only 1.67 A (30 VA / 18 V) - and each MS2 requires 0.05 A.

Just guessing: it could be that the overload protection of the 66365 reduces the output voltage - and the track box detects this and switches off.

I'm convinced that the MS1 checked the input voltage and I wouldn't be surprised if the MS2 did, too.

Anyway you cannot expect more than 1.6 A continuous track output from your track box with the power supply you currently use.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline BrandonVA  
#6 Posted : 22 February 2014 03:19:24(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Thanks Tom. Interesting details, I would probably be asking a bit much from MS2 at 1.6A, although this is somewhat of a high load for what I normally run.

I did some more testing tonight.

Results:

Temperature: Problem continues at cold start (approx 10 c registered by MS2), or once warmed a bit (18-20 c registered by MS2), so I think in this case it's not the issue (the heat in my train room is not so good).

Running the CZ (WP F7 + coaches) with light, sound and all coach lighting on. Running a V60 (37655) no lights. It will cut out at around 0.9 to 1.0 amp. It seems to always cut out while one loco is going up or down a grade (in some cases a 2% grade, in some cases 4%), but never in the same spot twice.

So, I replaced the WP F7s with my B&O F7 set (37618). Running the B&O F7s with lights, sound, and the CZ coaches all lighted. Run the V60. No shutoff. It's a bit lower consumption this way, the B&O unit seem to use slightly less power (different decoder and sound board I imagine). Add headlights to the V60, no outage. Add a 221 (29720), turn on the lights and sound, still no outage. Add a couple of lighted coaches (bulbs) to a siding, no outage. Now I'm consistently running at 1.1 amp.

Based on this, it seems the conclusion would be something to do with the WP F7 locomotive units from 26600. It seems strange to me since it never happens if I am running this loco solo, but there is a pattern to be sure. I have noted with the WP F7 that it sounds like the power to the speaker is on all the time, whether or not sound is activated. When I power the track with the MS2 I can always hear that sort of dead air sound that powered speakers sometimes give when nothing is coming out coming from the WP F7. It is not a loud sound, but if you listen carefully you can hear it. However, the power consumption for the unit seems pretty normally (around 0.3amps running solo and dark/silent). I thought this may be something that was normal for this sound board, does anyone know?

Otherwise, any suggestions of what I could check on the WP F7 units?

Thanks,

-Brandon
-Brandon
Offline 3rail4life  
#7 Posted : 22 February 2014 06:05:00(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
Hi Brandon,

I had a similar problem a few years ago with a BR 216 that was drawing more power than it should. It turned out to be a gunked up motor, lots of carpet fibers in the gears. That's probably not the case with your CZ F7's but I would check the power trucks to see if maybe they need cleaning and some fresh oil.

The sound module is behaving normally, I can always tell when the CS2 boots up when we have have an older sound module loco on the layout, they all seem to make that dead air noise.

Cheers,

Gordon
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 3rail4life
Offline jvuye  
#8 Posted : 22 February 2014 06:55:25(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: 3rail4life Go to Quoted Post
Hi Brandon,

I had a similar problem a few years ago with a BR 216 that was drawing more power than it should. It turned out to be a gunked up motor, lots of carpet fibers in the gears. That's probably not the case with your CZ F7's but I would check the power trucks to see if maybe they need cleaning and some fresh oil.

The sound module is behaving normally, I can always tell when the CS2 boots up when we have have an older sound module loco on the layout, they all seem to make that dead air noise.

Cheers,

Gordon

Hi Brandon and all
I'd think Gordon has put the finger on it!ThumpUp
Didn't your CZ come as "brand new" and "never touched", etc.?
Could very well be after a long storage that you have some "dried up" mechanisms.
It is no big deal to open, and oil this type of lok, just be careful not to pinch the wires when your re-assemble it.
Once oiled it will take a few rounds for the mechanisms to "soften" a bit.
You may want to check power draw "before" and " after".
And enjoy that wonderful dynamic brakes sounds! Laugh
Cheers

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jvuye
Online H0  
#9 Posted : 22 February 2014 08:39:49(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: BrandonVA Go to Quoted Post
Otherwise, any suggestions of what I could check on the WP F7 units?
Higher current draw could be caused by a mechanical problem (as already mentioned: hardened oil or fibers/hairs). Or by carbon dust between the collector plates (carbon dust will stick if collector or brushes are oily but should fly away if everything is dry).

Not sure if this could be related to type of decoder. Decoder feeds motor with short pulses of full power.
With older mouse-piano decoders (WP CZ) the pulses are much longer (IIRC less than 1 kHz) than with current decoders (20 through 40 kHz).

What type of decoder does the V 60 have? Mouse piano? mfx?

It takes an oscilloscope to verify or falsify my theory - and I don't have one.
Decoders do work as described here, but I don't know if this can lead to a STOP on the MS2 even though average load is much lower.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Goofy  
#10 Posted : 22 February 2014 08:45:00(UTC)
Goofy

You can check after temperature in the MS2 with version 1.83.
When you run yours trains,just simple check after temp. if it shows to high it shuts off.
I´m not really sure what temp. it make MS2 becomes overload and shuts off.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Alsterstreek  
#11 Posted : 23 February 2014 13:41:59(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Hi Brandon,

Problem:

Like you I am operating my layout with a pair of MS2 plus railbox, initially only having one feeder point for more than 20 m of track. I never experienced any MS2 performance problems when running European equipment. Up to five locos with lights and sound and one lighted push-pull coach never caused any shut-off. Then came Americana locos, and I suffered the same as you: More than two locos and the MS2 shut off after one minute. The 37611/49611 PA1 couple behaved like your WP CZ ABB F7 consist (great acronyms hereSmile) with the engine sound grumbling latently. The digitalized blue-bonneted twin-engined F7 ABA 3362 proved to be a demanding consumer. Only the F7 AB 37622 behaved. As a first problem solving attempt I installed a feeder cable "ring road" with additional track feeder points - to no avail.

Solution:

I found my salvation with a cheap homemade booster solution - without soldering, just cabling - by hooking up a Maerklin Delta Control 4f (Art. 66045, ebayed for EUR 10 plus freight) with a Maerklin transformer (32VA is sufficient).

Caveat:

In principle this allows to power two separate track sections which MUST be isolated from each other. This is important and - in my view - annoying. Therefore, I decided to use exclusively the booster output: For "security reasons", in my approach there is a strict firewall between the railbox and the tracks, i.e. ABSOLUTELY NO railbox red cable connected to any track - see attached drawing. Then, besides the cabling, the decisive "trick" is to put the selector switch on the 66045 Delta Control in the RIGHT HAND "OFF" position (fully clockwise). I attach also a photo of the cabling between Delta Control 4f and transformer (I used a 60VA version which I had readily available, but as stated above 32VA would suffice)

Might sound irritating at first, but it did the trick for me: Sufficient power everywhere without any MS2 stalling.ThumpUp

Good luck - Ak

P.S.: The railbox ouput could be fed to an isolated piece of track for having a programming track for new locos (as programming is not possible in the booster powered track section). As a temporary solution when programming, I disconnect the booster from the track and connect the railbox instead.

P.P.S.: This approach was more or less superficially treated twice in the forum:
https://www.marklin-user...osts&t=1256#post1256
https://www.marklin-user...mericana.aspx#post437218

P.P.P.S.:
As one could witness in my latest Slumburg layout video, this solution allows for running all my Santa Fe monster locos (37611/49611, 3362, 37622 and 2 x 33622) at once.
Alsterstreek attached the following image(s):
boo.png
booster.jpg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline BrandonVA  
#12 Posted : 24 February 2014 19:25:45(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Gordon and Jacques,

You are probably right. I don't think it's ever been run before. It just ran well enough when I put it on the track, I didn't take it apart and do an overhaul as I often do now with ebay locomotives. I'll try cleaning and oiling the locos tonight, see if that helps. I'll take the brushes out first, see how freely the motors turn by hand. Will report tomorrow...

Gordon,

Thanks for confirming about the sound. I suspected this was the case, but really had nothing to compare it to. On a side note, does anyone else find it interesting the F7s come with a giant speaker compared to any other factory sound lok? :)

Tom,

The V60 is 37655 with an MFX decoder. I don't have an oscilloscope either, so probably can't help out with this.

Ak,

Thanks for the suggestion. Very nice documentation! I do have an old Delta controller in a box, I can give this a shot if overhauling the motors doesn't work. With your setup prior to using the Delta unit, which power pack were you using? I'm sure you're aware, but the pattern with the locos you mentioned is that they all have two motors. I believe delta decoders also pull more juice than fx/mfx decoders. My only other digital two motor model for comparison is the B&O F7, which runs fine, but also has an mfx decoder (as opposed to fx). It does draw a little less power though, which may also be related to the need for oiling and cleaning of the WP F7s.

-Brandon
Offline Alsterstreek  
#13 Posted : 25 February 2014 11:06:27(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Earth to Brandon,

Initially, I used to use the new modern shiny advanced Maerklin power pack 36 VA (Nr. 66361) to fire up the railbox connected in turn to 2 x MS2.Tongue
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Wal  
#14 Posted : 26 February 2014 03:57:55(UTC)
Wal

Australia   
Hello Brandon,

I use an MS2 to manage my Z gauge digital layout. I occasionally experience the automatic STOP event you describe. I am running 8-10 trains at a time. It is always one specific loco that triggers the problem and occurs when that loco is crossing a turnout or circuit track so I think it some sort of short and the MS2 unit is stopping to protect itself and the other trains. I have looked and looked at the offending loco and cannot see anything unusual with it to cause the problem (I have three identical locos and it is only one of them that causes problems).

So I'd be looking closer at the CZ loco power pickup etc for potential to short the system.

Hope this helps,

Wal
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Wal