Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline tulit  
#1 Posted : 28 December 2013 14:32:48(UTC)
tulit

Canada   
The 37768 is one of the newer/first mfx+ model for Marklin to release. It's based on the previous moulds and is available in two liveries (37768 for the blue/cream and 37764 for the red).

Retail price is 300 euro, with street prices of 240-250 euro fairly easy to find.

The model itself is fully made of metal so feels quite substantial.

A standard assortment of additional brake line parts is also included.
tulit attached the following image(s):
IMG_5456 (1024x380).jpg
IMG_5455 (1024x683).jpg
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by tulit
Offline tulit  
#2 Posted : 28 December 2013 14:34:18(UTC)
tulit

Canada   
Detailing is fair with good lettering as you'd expect from a newer Marklin model.

On either end are NEM pocket couplers.

The lights on either end of the locomotive are LEDs with full red/white switch over. It's possible with the digital controller to disable this on either end of the locomotive using functions.

Sound on the locomotive is the "standard" diesel operating sounds and hasn't been updated/improved much. Volume is good and may even need to be turned down a bit from the default.
IMG_5450 (1024x544).jpg
IMG_5451 (1024x597).jpg
IMG_5452 (1024x440).jpg
IMG_5453 (1024x771).jpg
Offline tulit  
#3 Posted : 28 December 2013 14:38:49(UTC)
tulit

Canada   
Propulsion is provided by a canned motor with flywheels and carden shafts driving all axles. There's no way to tell the number of poles without ripping the motor apart.

The motor does look more substantial than the can motors often found in hobby level locomotives.

Driving characteristics are good and comparable to any of the DCM diesels I have, if even a bit quieter than them. I have no brushless versions of these locomotives to compare with.
IMG_5449 (1024x612).jpg
Offline tulit  
#4 Posted : 28 December 2013 14:40:26(UTC)
tulit

Canada   
Removal of the shell is as simple as two screws.

Inside is a custom PCB in which the decoder (21 pin style) is mounted as well as two additional PCBs at either end for the LEDs.

The speaker is also mounted internally rather than the bottom.
IMG_5445 (1024x562).jpg
IMG_5446 (1024x503).jpg
IMG_5447 (1024x692).jpg
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by tulit
Offline tulit  
#5 Posted : 28 December 2013 14:45:49(UTC)
tulit

Canada   
The mfx+ feature provides in cab control of the model with the CS2 controller.

Although a interesting feature, I don't see myself using it much. It defeats the purpose of running real models as I found you spent most of your time staring at the screen. The graphics (and the "smoothness" of the window) weren't stellar and it just felt like a low quality (by today's standards) computer game. I feel that if I am just looking at the screen anyways, there are much better train simulators available on the PC.

When buying new locomotives, I probably won't be ensuring that they are all mfx+, rather if they happen to come with it, it's just another bonus.

The one feature I do like is the ability to control throttle and brakes independently using both knobs. It would be great if this was generally available in the control of any locomotive with the CS2.
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by tulit
Offline Goofy  
#6 Posted : 29 December 2013 14:24:32(UTC)
Goofy

I too have the red one 37764 and it´s impressive diesel locomotiv.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline Dreadnought  
#7 Posted : 19 January 2014 22:18:51(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
I bought 37764, the red version of the mfx+ on Friday. The price was C$ 387.00. There looks to be some weathering on the roof, I cannot be quite sure it is not just the lighting in my train room.

I agree with tulit on the detailing, lights and sounds. I am not a detail fanatic, my interest is in running the trains, as a result I am very pleased with these areas. It has a very good slow speed, virtually crawling.

My layout is old M track. I have been running it in "profi" mode. I have not set up "refueling" or "servicing points". "Profi" means I am using the "cab view". I like controlling the brakes and throttle separately. It is quite a challenge to bring the locomotive to a halt at just the right place. I am still getting used to balancing brake and throttle to stop at the platform, in a manner that makes the passengers happy. Over shooting, and under shooting are still common. Learner plates may be in order. It takes some concentration in profi mode to remember that pushing on the red knob does not reverse the locomotive. Old instincts have to be brought under control.

The "fuel"consumption seems very high. There are more frequent stops needed to refuel than I like, often not where I would like. I cannot find any explanation of the "faktor Diesel" that appears when you looks at the fuel screen (it is reached by tapping the fuel pump icon on the normal, or play mode screen) I suspect it lets you increase the distance you can run before being out of fuel.

I tried to change it. That seemed to make the locomotive move in a "crawl mode" as if out of fuel. The gauge showed lots on fuel. I had to do a reset to factory mode to get it to run normally. If any know how to get more km per liter of fuel I would be grateful.

I have yet to figure out the two switches at the lower left of the cab. The icons seem to suggest a light and a horn switch.

I should get a speaker for my CS 2. I find I miss touching the "Sifa" button, thus bringing the whole train to a halt. I agree with tulit, you need to be concentrating on the screen to avoid a problem. Having an audible warning would likely make a better, and likely more enjoyable use of the cab view. I can foresee getting rammed by a standard locomotive on the same track. As a result I run in cab mode on a dedicated track.

Overall I think the cab view is fun. I find it fun to play with. If I am running several locomotives, I find I tend to keep it in " standard" or play mode, as cab mode takes up the whole CS2 screen.

The cab view does not show up in the iPad. No matter what mode the CS2 s in, you get the standard iPad controller. If using the iPad, best to be in "standard" or what I have called "play" mode. I used the I pad for the standard locomotives, and the CS 2 screen for the cab view

I would like to get a steam engine with mfx+. Maybe a 64 class? More to come as I continue to play
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Dreadnought
Offline kimballthurlow  
#8 Posted : 19 January 2014 23:29:50(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Tulit,

Thanks for a comprehensive review.
I liked your description of the cab screen, and also Dreadnoughts reply on this feature.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline clapcott  
#9 Posted : 20 January 2014 01:31:18(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Dreadnought Go to Quoted Post

The "fuel"consumption seems very high. There are more frequent stops needed to refuel than I like, often not where I would like. I cannot find any explanation of the "faktor Diesel" that appears when you looks at the fuel screen (it is reached by tapping the fuel pump icon on the normal, or play mode screen) I suspect it lets you increase the distance you can run before being out of fuel.

I tried to change it. That seemed to make the locomotive move in a "crawl mode" as if out of fuel. The gauge showed lots on fuel. I had to do a reset to factory mode to get it to run normally. If any know how to get more km per liter of fuel I would be grateful.

the "facktor" is the rate of usage, therefore the lower the number the less usage,
- set to 0 (zero) for no usage and therefore no need for refuel

Also , it is important to note that this information (like the refueling of the resources) must get written to the locomotive (decoder).
This writing occurs when ...
A) In the Gauge view..
- you press the green tick/check
B) In the Cab View ..
- by holstering the nozzel (it will not holster automatically even at 100%)
- driving off (this does cause a holtering and a write update)

In all cases the locomotive must be on the track at the time the CS2 does this write update - it wont retry.
If the loco is on a deadspot or has been taken off the layout it cannot receive this update

Peter
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline clapcott  
#10 Posted : 20 January 2014 05:57:14(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Dreadnought Go to Quoted Post

I have yet to figure out the two switches at the lower left of the cab. The icons seem to suggest a light and a horn switch.

These 2 images are "constructed" from a template file /config/spiel/diesel/diesel.cs2 which is generic for all diesels and may not match "exactly" the locomotive functions (icons) of every diesel locomotive.

Along with location(position on screen) and type(switch) the stanza in the template file defines the "icon number" , in this case #5 for the left and #2 for the right
(at a future level this "may" be reconfigurable)

The icon numbers represent the function images and indirectly relates to the function to switch/monitor for a function that has that same icon
#2 = UserPostedImage
#5 = UserPostedImage
If NONE of your particular locos functions hae either of these icons define, then the switches will appear greyed-out

By editing the icons (not the underlying function) of your locomotives function to be one of these, they will then become not-grey.

For example, I suspect you will have a default F0 with an icon of UserPostedImage
which is ICON #1. If you change this to #2 - it will look something like this ... ( Also shown, I have changed the whistle icon to icon#5)
UserPostedImage

As a final note , I have found the use of these switches as "requiring a bit of work", aside from finding them hard to use, they are usually out of sync to start with and sometimes move but do not cause the function to change
Peter
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline NZMarklinist  
#11 Posted : 22 January 2014 04:50:05(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: tulit Go to Quoted Post
Detailing is fair with good lettering as you'd expect from a newer Marklin model.

Sound on the locomotive is the "standard" diesel operating sounds and hasn't been updated/improved much. Volume is good and may even need to be turned down a bit from the default.

I also have these two. Wink as I had not aquired a 218 previously, but I have owned a couple of 216's from Starter sets, but sold them because of their annoying unrealistic sounds . I will give Marklin that, the sounds are a big improvement over the original diesel sounds of the early MFX decoders, and sound much more real ThumpUp
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline Dreadnought  
#12 Posted : 19 February 2014 00:32:09(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
Thank you clapcott. You were very helpful on fuel and sand consumption. It has made this locomotive much more enjoyable.
I bought a cheap C$10.00 speaker and plugged it into the CS 2. My first speaker, a C$3.00 cheapie, could not pick up the sound. The one I use has a volume control, and is fine.
Having the speaker is a big step forward. A voice comes on with about five seconds to go on the SIFA before the locomotive shuts down. You can then press the left red button on the CS 2, and silence the voice alarm. Now I can be running several locomotives at once, four on the iPad, and the 218 on the CS 2 in profi mode. I no longer have to be constantly looking at the screen. The speaker was a good investment in fun.
I wonder if it will pick up anything else?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Dreadnought
Offline Goofy  
#13 Posted : 19 February 2014 06:55:40(UTC)
Goofy

Wrong post

Edited by user 15 May 2014 05:34:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline steventrain  
#14 Posted : 19 February 2014 14:30:44(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hi Tulit,

Thank you for the report on 37768, I hope to buy one soon.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.