Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 12 January 2014 02:05:39(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The MS2 Power Supply (120V) 66365 has a power output of 18VDC 30VA. If I have an other adapter that produce 18VDC but 4A (I believe that translates to 64VA), can I use that one to power the MS or will it damage it? The old 60055 power supply had a 50VA output.

Regards

Mike C
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 12 January 2014 08:39:07(UTC)
H0

The output limit for the MS2 is 1.9 A and it should switch off at that point. So a power supply with 4 A should work without doing harm. But use at your own risk.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#3 Posted : 12 January 2014 10:37:20(UTC)
Goofy

Marklin reccomend maximum 1.9 Amps rectifier for the MS2.
In other ways...you loss warranty if you use too much power consumption for the MS2.
As Tom did wrote...it´s your own risk.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 12 January 2014 10:41:58(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
No, they don't.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#5 Posted : 12 January 2014 11:17:16(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
No, they don't.

Yes they do!
Why only then in case maximum 1.9 amps, when it could also or else give more power consumption out to the tracks??
If not less...you can only use maximum 1.9 amps.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 12 January 2014 11:37:52(UTC)
H0

Yes they do!
Where?

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline clapcott  
#7 Posted : 12 January 2014 22:14:42(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post

The MS2 Power Supply (120V) 66365 has a power output of 18VDC 30VA.

If I have an other adapter that produce 18VDC but 4A (I believe that translates to 64VA), can I use that one to power the MS or will it damage it? The old 60055 power supply had a 50VA output.

Mike (and all)

<pedantic on>
Unlike the MS1 60651/2 which did have the track driver in the (Master) hand unit, the MS2 60653 does not.
The component that receives the power is the "TrackBox"/"RailBox" 60112/3 - from this each MS2 takes what it needs for its own display screen and logic", but the track driver logic and protection is in the TrackBox.
<pedantic off>

Therefore if there was any damage due to overloading it would more likely be the TrackBox.

Last year we saw the introduction of the MS-II-Hub 60122 which increased the number of MS2s capable of connecting to a single TrackBox to 10 (originally 2).

I have been surprised that there has not been an outcry as , on face value, this might mean better ergonomic versatility (one throttle per train) but also implied less power available for the track. The 60122 Product details let slip that each MS2 uses 50mA - this means a significant 0.5 of an amp (for 10x MS2s) of the power source is NOT able to go to the track

I have not researched (field tested) this but I would like to think that , while the TrackBox will continue to provide 1.9A (And protection sic.) to the track, a bit of a front end boost by way of a bigger power supply, would allow all 10 MS2s to be deployed without impact.
I am of the personal opinion that you should always have "something in the tank", i.e. an overhead buffer so as not to stress the pipes from the dam, and anyone who says the 66365 (with its 30VA rating) can actually get 1.9A effectively to the track is fooling themselves. The 240v version , 66361 with a 36VA rating sounds slightly better, but is still draws the bow too tight for my liking.

Of course it may be that we can expect another TrackBox (pair ? 60114/5) with higher specs (maybe even more power to the track) along with a new (better) matched power supply. The architecture at this level needs some attention and maybe a new TrackBox would also have a port for powering m83s ??
The optimist in me would like to think that the existing TrackBox is fine and Marklin may themselves come out with a statement (and maybe just a power supply - with the correct plug) to support this.

When dealing with these controller/powersupply pairings, one needs to understand if the controller logic relies on the PS to cutout for its protection logic (as some did in the past and still do) or if it includes internal monitoring to do this. We know that a track short is detected and a track cutout occurs before the PowerSupply cuts out because the MS units themselves stay awake with a message telling us about the short. I therefore conclude that adding power to support extra "front end devices" is comparatively safe as these are not used in a manner that causes a short
Unfortunately it is possible that the detection mechanism is to detect the drop in power supply voltage as the PS reaches its limits.

Mike,
As to your original question, I would check that your power supply was a switch mode type for best comparison
In my own mind, and with the MS-II-Hub evidence, I would be happy with your solution.
Peter
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 12 January 2014 23:02:59(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
anyone who says the 66365 (with its 30VA rating) can actually get 1.9A effectively to the track is fooling themselves.
The 66361 (for 230 V input) has a 36 VA rating. This comes up to 2.0 A and is perfect for a track box (1.9 A output) plus two MS2 (0.05 A each).
Recently the Märklin power supplies for 120 V had lower ratings than the similar items for 230 V.
30 VA are only 1.67 A.

BTW: The power supply that comes with the Roco Z21 is also weaker than the max. output of the Z21. Roco write it can stand a momentarily overload (e.g. while switching a turnout) and is sufficient.
I don't know if we can assume the same for Märklin power supplies.

Would be much better if Märklin had wide-range power supplies (input 100 through 240 V) that could be used all over the world. Even better with 2.4 A to support 10 MS2s.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline clapcott  
#9 Posted : 13 January 2014 00:27:45(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

Would be much better if Märklin had wide-range power supplies (input 100 through 240 V) that could be used all over the world. Even better with 2.4 A to support 10 MS2s.

better still if they were not wall-warts and had an IEC socket to allow country specific power cords/plugs.
Peter
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline Lollo  
#10 Posted : 13 January 2014 06:14:30(UTC)
Lollo

New Zealand   
Hi Mike,

I have been using the Marklin 6002 (52va) transformer with my MS1, and now with my MS2. Have had no issues at all, IMO it is better than the supplied 36va SM power supply that comes with the MS2 as standard.
In my experience, none of my loco's with smoke units would smoke properly with the supplied 36va SM power supply. As soon as I used the 6002 trafo, track voltage went up slightly, and that was enough to get the smoke units working correctly.
I normally run 3 steam loks with sound & smoke and it does this with ease. The current draw is quite small, and have plenty in reserve.
As stated, the output current will be at a max of 1.9 amp, but the track voltage does increase enough to make a difference.
Works for me anyway.

Cheers,
Brian.
Brian
Yaasan's Desktop Station/Railuino & Marklin MS2, DB Era III/IV Diesel & Steam, ESU Loksound/Lokpilot & Lokprogrammer, Marklin mSD, Tam Valley Depot Octopus III Servo Controller.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Lollo
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 13 January 2014 08:53:34(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Lollo Go to Quoted Post
In my experience, none of my loco's with smoke units would smoke properly with the supplied 36va SM power supply. As soon as I used the 6002 trafo, track voltage went up slightly, and that was enough to get the smoke units working correctly.
With transformer the track voltage will be higher.
There are two disadvantages: track voltages varies largely when the load changes (with an SM power supply it's nearly stable) and higher voltage leads to higher wear of brushes, light bulbs, maybe even electronics. Some loco decoders react to variation in the track voltage.

The 18 V of the MS2 wall wart probably are a compromise. The CS2 comes with 19 V power supplies.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0