Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline plavnostruev  
#1 Posted : 10 February 2010 19:50:52(UTC)
plavnostruev

United States   
It has been a long time coming.

Exactly two (or three?) years ago at the Toy Fair Viessmann showed off their
turnout motor+decoder rolled in one unit to everyone's applause.
It was a modeler's dream: true to prototype very slow and quite point movement,
single unit construction and it could be used with virtually any track system.
Naturally, it could be installed under Marklin C turnouts and double-slips.
Pre-orders poured in, however Viessmann could not deliver the unit to market.
Every year I asked and every year I was told that production is delayed
(no kidding).

Well, finally Viessmann is producing the unit and is plowing through several
thousands of pre-orders one unit at a time. I asked Drool , I smiled BigGrin ,
I cursed Cursing, I threatened Scared and I begged Razz , but I was able to
claim one of these coveted units for myself at the Fair! ThumpUp

Below is my review of Viessmann 4554 digital motor.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Instructions are in both German and English and, in general, are pretty good.
But that bag sure looks intimidating...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Good news for Marklin track users is that only one of those long arms marked
1,2 and 3 is needed, depending on single, triple of double-slip turnout.

UserPostedImage

You pop open the small cover (no special tools required)

UserPostedImage

And then place specified arm in the cavity. I will say that this part
was a bit vague, as there is no clear track to slide and no snap
to hear, you just place the arm as per instruction on the page and hope
that it will work (it did). Then you put the cover back on.

UserPostedImage

Last step is familiar one, connect the arm and use supplied small screws to
fasten 4554 under turnout.
UserPostedImage

Connecting wires is fairly easy process. Default address is #1 and I did not
mess with trying to change it.

And so here is the final result: short video of just installed 4554 motor in action:

Might be a bit underwhelming on the video, but to this reviewer it looks absolutely
smashing, especially compared to clickety-clack of normal solenoids. Now just imagine
quite and slow movements of several of these 4554's setting up the route and compare it
to machine gun fire you normally hear and the point of these Viessmann motors is really
beginning to emerge. (By the way, my camera was virtually on top of the turnout, you barely
hear any sound when standing at some distance from it.) Viessmann says that 4554 is
virtually "maintenance free", however it does suggest a drop of lubricant every six
months or so.

Disclaimer: reviewer is a big fan of all things Viessmann and he also peddles Viessmann
products to unsuspecting public.

Michael

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by plavnostruev
Offline rschaffr  
#2 Posted : 10 February 2010 20:13:37(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Good news, Mike! Any idea when will you be able to start filling orders? Once I get one and have a chance to evaluate it with my K track, I will probably need a half dozen or so.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/IB), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline Darren W  
#3 Posted : 10 February 2010 20:35:22(UTC)
Darren W

Canada   
Fantastic review! Thank you for sharing this with us.

My question is how do you lubricate every six months if your layout is more permanent and maybe has ballast on the sides? I have seen many C-track layouts where the ground around has been built up and the switch can not be removed. Where do you lubricate? Would it be possible to have a hole drilled from underneath oil it from below?

Thanks againWoot Woot Woot

Darren
Offline rschaffr  
#4 Posted : 10 February 2010 20:45:43(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
I will be using them with K track, so lubrication would not be a problem (except remembering to do it). I do not see how that would be possible in a C-turnout in a permanent layout.
-Ron
Offline tworail  
#5 Posted : 10 February 2010 22:02:43(UTC)
tworail

If it's a closed mechanism I don't see why the lubrication part is such a big deal... Maybe a longer lasting lighter lube could be used before putting it down.

Since I don't know much about the internals I'm unsure if a heavier lube would screw up the works.
Offline Caplin  
#6 Posted : 10 February 2010 22:15:25(UTC)
Caplin

Thanks for the presentation, it is good news.
Regards,
Benny - Outsider and MFDWPL

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Caplin
Offline SNAFU  
#7 Posted : 11 February 2010 00:12:13(UTC)
SNAFU

Australia   
Good review Mike.
What are the cost comparison to Marklin turnout motors and decoder?
Tony
Curiosity hasn't killed this cat yet.
Offline plavnostruev  
#8 Posted : 11 February 2010 00:37:33(UTC)
plavnostruev

United States   
SNAFU wrote:
Good review Mike.
What are the cost comparison to Marklin turnout motors and decoder?

It will retail for around $40 in the US. It was a much better value than M*
motor and decoder bought separately before M* started packaging them in 74444 and 74445 packs.

Michael
Offline Bookfwe  
#9 Posted : 11 February 2010 02:43:17(UTC)
Bookfwe

I looked at the picture and was wondering how you attach the wires to the C-track as I did not see clips on the end of the wires.
Offline plavnostruev  
#10 Posted : 11 February 2010 03:22:43(UTC)
plavnostruev

United States   
Bookfwe wrote:
I looked at the picture and was wondering how you attach the wires to the C-track as I did not see clips on the end of the wires.

Quite right, no clips, as this is an all track product.
I used a single bag of Marklin 74040 C track connector wire, or you could make due with
74995 spades. Here is a connection diagram; I followed it to the letter and it worked fine.
There is no connection to the controller required as pictured; it's all through the track.

UserPostedImage

Hope this helps.
Michael
Offline efel  
#11 Posted : 11 February 2010 08:13:24(UTC)
efel

France   
Hi Michael,
Thanks for that interesting review!
It seems that Viessmann give up the possibility to have a separate feeding (transformer) that was a very good idea (in their k83 for instance).
But may be their motor shows a much lower consumption than the Marklin motor, and in that case, separate feeding (transfo or dedicated booster) are superfluous ?
Any idea of the current consumption?

Fred
Offline David Dewar  
#12 Posted : 11 February 2010 13:45:08(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I am not sure about this unit. Firstly I would not wish to lift all my turnouts for lubrication every six months. As has been said where ballast is around C track this would mean also re ballasting.
With the present Marklin set up all i do is connect two wires to the C track clips. (wires already have spades fitted) This new unit appears to have four wires which I presume two have to make there way back to the controller.
This would mean considerable extra wiring and therefore would not be for me.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline plavnostruev  
#13 Posted : 11 February 2010 19:21:58(UTC)
plavnostruev

United States   
David Dewar wrote:
I am not sure about this unit. Firstly I would not wish to lift all my turnouts for lubrication every six months. As has been said where ballast is around C track this would mean also re ballasting.
With the present Marklin set up all i do is connect two wires to the C track clips. (wires already have spades fitted) This new unit appears to have four wires which I presume two have to make there way back to the controller.
This would mean considerable extra wiring and therefore would not be for me.

dave

David,

You probably missed this line:
"There is no connection to the controller required as pictured; it's all through the track."
This unit could be considered an alternative to M*, but it does offer significant advantage IMO
in giving you prototypical-like operations. There are plenty modelers out there who absolutely demand
running their electrics off catenary, will not stand for jerking signals and crossings and will
appreciate smooth turnout switching. I am not doing marketing for Viessmann, just pointing out that
this little ditty is a very welcomed addition to the available arsenal Cool

Michael
Offline David Dewar  
#14 Posted : 11 February 2010 21:18:26(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi Mike. I really must pay more attention lol. Why thern are there extra wires if not needed.
Anyway if I just connect to the clips on C track then that is good and only the lubrication bit would put me off.
I do ballast between C track as I expect many will and even on a single line the track has to be attached to the baseboard (although i suppose is using M screws this would be fairly easy ) With more than twenty turnouts on the layout it is probably not practical but i agree the slow movement is very good.

dave
PS Many thanks for an excellent report
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Rinus  
#15 Posted : 11 February 2010 21:32:20(UTC)
Rinus

Fantastic! Thanks for your information. I have been looking forward to this turnout motor.
Offline supermoee  
#16 Posted : 12 February 2010 11:10:25(UTC)
supermoee

Switzerland   
Hello,

this motor is doing an incredible noise Scared like the Fulgurex motors. From the hearing it seems a cordless screwdriver at the car tire shop Laugh

Here you can hear even better:

I do not want to hear the noise, when an itinerary of 6-7 switches is beeing setRazz

no, for K Track it is not an alternative (and neither for fix C track layouts). Than is better to use servos: cheaper, noisless, you can set the switching speed following your own thinking and what is important, you do not need to oil them every 6 months or 500 cycles.

Do Viessmann foresaw a cycle counter in their decoder for the maintenance planning LOL

rgds

Stephan
Offline RayF  
#17 Posted : 12 February 2010 12:40:13(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the review. It looks like a very nice alternative to the "clunk" type of solenoid used in the Marklin motors.

I switch my turnouts and signals with analogue control boxes, and although I believe these motors can be used in analogue operation, it probably does not make any sense from the cost point of view.

Having had some problems with having to access my Marklin motors under the C track turnouts (see seperate thread: https://www.marklin-user...;t=15392&find=unread ), the fact they recommend occasional lubrication is no improvement in this respect. I think I will always make provision for getting at the motors from underneath in future anyway.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline rschaffr  
#18 Posted : 10 March 2010 00:53:26(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
I have had a 4554 for about a week and a half now thanks to Mike. I finally go around to testing it with K track. Here are my impressions:

1) I am not really crazy about the light gray color, but that can be fixed.

2) After selecting the correct hook-up levers and installing them in the unit (really easy..just pry off the front end of the cover, drop it in, and replace the cover) the unit attaches quite nicely and firmly to the switch mechanism

3) The directions for programming seemed a little unclear, but if you just follow the instructions literally, it works fine. The problem was that they tell you:

a) Turn off the power to your controller (emergency stop)
b) Hook up the yellow and brown to the central controller
c) Attach the green/blue wire to the track power (center rail) according to figure 15. <fine so far>
d) Turn on the power then attach the blue/red to track power as shown on figure 14. <this is where the confusion enters, since fig 14 shows the blue/green attached to brown> If you don't try to over analyze (as I did) and just attach the blue/red to the yellow as they said, all is fine.
e) Enter the address for the switch on you central controller and the switch should change position. It did.
f) Finally, what is implied but not explicitly stated, is that for operation you reconnect as in fig 14 with the blue/red attached to the yellow (or red) and the blue/green attached to the brown. Once you do that (i.e. hook up according to fig 14) all works fine.

I am unsure, but I think that you may be able to hook up the brown and yellow to a primary power feed, rather than the digital signal, and hook up the blue/red and blue/green to the digital red and brown respectivly and it should work. Most other Viessman devices are configured that way, but I do not want to try it right now.

All in all, I think it is a very nice unit. It is somewhat noisy, but so is the Tortoise. The motion of the switch is quite realistic. I think it was worth the 3 (or 4?) year wait for it.

UserPostedImage

I have it programmed for the location I want to put it on my layout. I have to go away for a few days, but when I get back I will install it and post some more pictures.
-Ron
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rschaffr
Offline Caplin  
#19 Posted : 10 March 2010 13:00:03(UTC)
Caplin

rschaffr wrote:
I am unsure, but I think that you may be able to hook up the brown and yellow to a primary power feed, rather than the digital signal, and hook up the blue/red and blue/green to the digital red and brown respectivly and it should work. Most other Viessman devices are configured that way, but I do not want to try it right now.
I have to go away for a few days, but when I get back I will install it and post some more pictures.

Thanks for your report. The connecting colour scheme (colour/colour) sounds a little confusing, but I suppose it is clear when you have it in font of you. I am especially interested in your suggestion to connect to a primary power feed as we still don't know the power consumption of the 4554 motor. I look forward to the next pictures.
Regards,
Benny - Outsider and MFDWPL

UserPostedImage
Offline Macfire  
#20 Posted : 10 March 2010 13:19:58(UTC)
Macfire

Thanks Mike, Ron and others for the reports and comments.
Following this one with interest.

How would this unit go with The K Track 2275 Double Slip?
Lord Macca
New Zealand branch of Clan Donald.
Offline rschaffr  
#21 Posted : 10 March 2010 16:07:23(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Macfire wrote:
Thanks Mike, Ron and others for the reports and comments.
Following this one with interest.

How would this unit go with The K Track 2275 Double Slip?

I will look to see if I have one in my stock. If so, I will try it.
-Ron
Offline rschaffr  
#22 Posted : 13 March 2010 01:59:24(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
I don't have a spare 2275, only the ones installed in my layout and it would take some deconstruction to hook this up, however I see no reason why it would not work. You realize, of course, that the 2275 requires TWO motors. Would be a rather expensive retrofit. Having said that, I note that that is one of the areas I intend to use these motors. Sad
-Ron
Offline Nuno  
#23 Posted : 19 April 2010 17:39:34(UTC)
Nuno

Hi

Can we use the 4554 with the marklin decoder under the C-track bed?

Can we move two 4554 motors with the same address? Or this is not possible because it's no longer just an impulse?

cheers,

Nuno Smile
Offline David Dewar  
#24 Posted : 19 April 2010 19:24:46(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
The 4554 is a decoder/motor so no further decoder is required.

dave
Offline rschaffr  
#25 Posted : 25 July 2010 07:23:03(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
I finally got this unit permanently installed in my layout. I like it's operation so far...only time will tell on reliability. One issue, at least with K track, is that the throw length of the motor has very little if any overshoot, so you have to get the motor exactly positioned for it to work properly, otherwise the points will not close completely in one direction of the other. Once properly positioned, it works great.

UserPostedImage
-Ron
Offline river6109  
#26 Posted : 24 December 2010 02:31:42(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
As illustrated above, this solution is ok but you could have difficulties applying more than one of these units when more than one turnout or double switches have been used together.
Another problem I can see (unless you're aware of it) although the solenoid/decoder has been directly screwed onto the plywood board, attaching it to cork may present a problem securing it properly.

I do not use decoders in my turnouts and the reason behind it is, if your digital system experiences any faults, e.g. short your turnouts will not work either.
I keep all my solenoids on a different wire connection, disadvantage: extra wires have to be drawn.

Viessmann products are more advanced than Märklin and considerable cheaper.

Thanks for the review.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline vadimav  
#27 Posted : 11 April 2011 10:59:25(UTC)
vadimav

Hello. I am also user of Viessmann 4554 turnout switch machine.

UserPostedImage

This machine have 2 separate buzzing motions per 1 command :
1)- Main motion.
2)- Motion to the middle position.

In addition:

3)Therefore this turnout has an unnecessary, excess move if accepts command to swich into the same position.

"2" and "3" - Is not so realistic buzzing!!!

Video Demonstration:

Can i cancel it by CV programming of internal DCC decoder?
May be another methods of cancellations exists?
How to cancel excess motion to the same position?

Thanks,
Vadim
Offline kgsjoqvist  
#28 Posted : 25 January 2012 14:00:11(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: Darren W Go to Quoted Post
Fantastic review! Thank you for sharing this with us.

My question is how do you lubricate every six months if your layout is more permanent and maybe has ballast on the sides? I have seen many C-track layouts where the ground around has been built up and the switch can not be removed. Where do you lubricate? Would it be possible to have a hole drilled from underneath oil it from below?

Thanks againWoot Woot Woot

Darren

I suppose it is always a good practice to have a service hole under each turnout, to have access to the mechanism...
K-G / H0 and Z model train user
Offline tyrre  
#29 Posted : 04 March 2012 14:41:29(UTC)
tyrre

Thank you all for a very good review af an item I think about purchasing.
If anyone still reads this thread I would very much like to hear your conclusions one year after the review started...

1. How do you find the noise the motor make?
2. Do you beleive the mechanism need lubrication?
3. Is it possible to add the lubrication from below, if you have the turnout fixed and a maintenance "hole" underneath?
4. I have seen a black version (http://www.modellbahnshop-lippe.com/produkt/Viessmann/21-7-0-2937-007003-0-0-0-0-3-0-grp-se-vor-0/produkt.html). Is there any differences (apart from the obvious color :) )?
5. What about power consumption?

Recently converted from M to C track and from analog to digital locos but still on temporary occasional floor layouts and with many manual turnouts...
Offline witzlerh  
#30 Posted : 04 March 2012 14:52:43(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
I have ordered the switch and should have it in a few weeks.

As for lubrication, I have read at eurorail hobbies that lubrication requirement is about every 10-100 thousand operations... So for most of us, it is a lifetime of use... unless you are building another minatur wunderland!BigGrin
I am not worried about lubrication. Already, I have had to lift a couple of switches due to decoders quiting so there will be other issues to cause you to occasionally lift the switch on permanent layouts.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
Offline tyrre  
#31 Posted : 31 March 2012 20:10:26(UTC)
tyrre

Hi all that still reads this thread.

Out of curiosity, I bought one of these turnout decoders just to test.
In short I would like to sum the configuration/operation up as follows:
1. A little bit tricky to get the lever in place. I failed the first time, had to reopen and refit it.
2. Without setting a new address I tried to use it on Motorola address 1 (as stated before in this thread and in the manual) but nothing happened.
I then had to configure the address manually according to the manual (and description above). Worked like a charm.
3. The motor was having trouble to move. Loosen the screw nearest to the turnout lever solved the problem.

Now to the downsides (imho):
1. It makes too much noice in my opinion. I like the Märklin click better.
2. Moving the lever by hand is definitely not as easy as with the Märklin counterpart. Maybe my lever is still cramped somewhere. Now, I am afraid to break the lever.
3. Four cables instead of two from the Märklin decoder. More to attach or solder to the track. And no spades by deafault. Märklin is more plug-and-play.
4. It is more expensive than the Märklin counterpart. Not much but still.

And the upsides:
1. The motor movement is nicer and more realistic.
2. The posibility to solder cables for output, for instance to a relay to use manual indicators on a swithboard is nice.

To sum things up I cuurently say no to this device. The slow movement upside is not enough for the noice it makes. And Märklin is cheaper.
I will go for Märklin until this device gets quiter.

Regards,
/Magnus
Recently converted from M to C track and from analog to digital locos but still on temporary occasional floor layouts and with many manual turnouts...
Offline vadimav  
#32 Posted : 31 March 2012 21:29:31(UTC)
vadimav

Originally Posted by: tyrre Go to Quoted Post
Hi all that still reads this thread.

Out of curiosity, I bougt 4554
4. It is more expensive than the Märklin counterpart. Not much but still.

And the upsides:
1. The motor movement is nicer and more realistic.
2. The posibility to solder cables for output, for instance to a relay to use manual indicators on a swithboard is nice.

Regards,
/Magnus

All may be applicable! But main disadvantage is: 2 motor movements per 1 swich and nonadjustable speed.

Vadim
Offline tyrre  
#33 Posted : 01 April 2012 10:07:40(UTC)
tyrre

Originally Posted by: vadimav Go to Quoted Post

All may be applicable! But main disadvantage is: 2 motor movements per 1 swich and nonadjustable speed.

Vadim

Hi Vadim,

Correct on the 2 motor movements for one switch and I also missed to mention (stated by your earlier post) that the motor will move even if the command is to move the turnout to the same position.
The speed, however, is ok for me. I do not find a reason to change it. Do you believe it should be faster or slower?

In my opinion, the noice is the major downside.

/Magnus
Offline vadimav  
#34 Posted : 02 April 2012 11:49:45(UTC)
vadimav

Originally Posted by: tyrre Go to Quoted Post

Correct on the 2 motor movements for one switch and I also missed to mention (stated by your earlier post) that the motor will move even if the command is to move the turnout to the same position.
The speed, however, is ok for me. I do not find a reason to change it. Do you believe it should be faster or slower?

In my opinion, the noice is the major downside.

/Magnus

This device has a microprocessor, and, therefore it would be convenient to make different adjustments for many purposes:
-Add/Remove middle point (2 moves per 1 switch) (for people who dont use marklin)
-Velocity of movement. (for people, who uses it for door opening and other ...)

Vadim

Offline witzlerh  
#35 Posted : 24 April 2012 21:05:50(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Finally got a switch and tried it out. It doe not fit properly in the Trix Wide Radius left turnout. Obviously from other posts it seats fine...Glare I am 1.5-2mm out on the back hole and only held it with one screw for a train show.

Most of the previous posts I agree with in the pros & cons.
A couple I will add.

The lubing issue is a non issue. You need a lot (tons) of movements to need to lift the switch to lube it when it is due. I think we only need to lubricate once every few years unless you have a show layout that runs and switches everyday.

It is not as powerfull and initially did not move the Trix turnout both directions until I adjusted the turnout. (first time I had to adjust a Märklin turnout).

The noise is there but could be dampened with material attached from the motor to the base...cork perhaps?

The 2 movements, although initially annoying, are to allow the switch to be moved by hand...but as mentioned in other posts, it is difficult by hand.
I will need to play with it some more to see if I will use more of them or not. However, the movement is very prototypical!ThumpUp
Harald
Offline witzlerh  
#36 Posted : 02 January 2014 23:57:16(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Update.
I have had my first 4554 turnout decoder for almost 2 years and it is still running well. The 2 movements is necessary to get the mechanisim back to a neutral point to allow hand throwing of the switch. This is usefull when you are far away from the control and next to the switch, which happens at shows.

I did get a second 4554 but this one had problems. I think that it was assembled too tight and would only move 3-4 times and then not move at all. As it would not go back to the neutral position, the switch was locked. Turning off the track power (STOP Button) resets it but not always. I ended up removing it to tinker with it some more. I also will talk to my dealer about this issue. I will keep you posted as to resolution.

I would like to repair or replace this one as I do like the simplicity of it and the life-like functions.

Has anyone else have them? Has it been working fine or is there a few others that are not working well?
Harald
Offline db ice3  
#37 Posted : 25 December 2014 08:54:18(UTC)
db ice3

those of you that bought the digital points/switch motor-decoder,

how are you all getting on with them?

its almost 4 years since the 1st posting on here about them and i wondered, how many of you have needed to remove them for lubrication?

would a long life light grease last longer than model-oil?

any other issues or problems?
Offline kiwiAlan  
#38 Posted : 25 December 2014 11:34:09(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: db ice3 Go to Quoted Post
those of you that bought the digital points/switch motor-decoder,

how are you all getting on with them?

its almost 4 years since the 1st posting on here about them and i wondered, how many of you have needed to remove them for lubrication?

would a long life light grease last longer than model-oil?

any other issues or problems?

Don't use motor oil on plastic parts, it goes sticky and they gum up.

I would be tempted to use the Trix grease marklin recommends for use on worm drives, or else the grease Tamiya sells for use on plastic gears in R/C cars.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan