Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline eduard71  
#1 Posted : 12 October 2010 07:04:17(UTC)
eduard71

Chile   
I have been looking to some amazing trains in Japan
, they look out of this world!, I think that a company like Kato could make one in HO, and even for AC 3 rail. I have only been able to see examples of these train in N scale and the old LIMA toy model in HO. Does any of you have travel on a train like the Shinkansen Series 500? What is your opinion?

Regards
Eduardo

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by eduard71
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 12 October 2010 07:25:11(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Eduardo,

Here is a link to Japanese Modeltrain manufactures

http://www.xs4all.nl/~ra...model/manufacturers.html

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Loadmaster  
#3 Posted : 12 October 2010 07:30:06(UTC)
Loadmaster

United States   
Edward,

That is really an impressive train. Thanks for sharing the U Tube link. When I was in Germany, I would see Kato items in both AC and DC but here in the USA they only offer DC, bummer. Maybe I need to contact a European dealer or maybe Kato.de

Robert
HOac and Z scale running SBB/BLS Era IV-V
Offline I_love_Marklin_37538  
#4 Posted : 12 October 2010 11:06:53(UTC)
I_love_Marklin_37538

Eduard

Something you'll possibly like

http://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/menu/tomix_3_2.htm
Offline DamonKelly  
#5 Posted : 12 October 2010 15:37:14(UTC)
DamonKelly

Australia   
eduard71 wrote:
, they look out of this world!, I think that a company like Kato could make one in HO, and even for AC 3 rail. I have only been able to see examples of these train in N scale and the old LIMA toy model in HO. Does any of you have travel on a train like the Shinkansen Series 500? What is your opinion?

Regards
Eduardo

Eduardo, Tenshodo and Bachmann (I think) cooperated on an HO scale Series 500 a few years ago. I remember seeing one in a local hobby shop. Quite expensive (> AUD1000), but looked good.

I don't know of any other HO scale quality shinkansen, except this KTM Series 0 I came across:

UserPostedImage

I think this has long been out of production. I need to find more bits of it!

Cheers,
Damon
Offline rmsailor  
#6 Posted : 12 October 2010 17:56:04(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   
The series 500 Shinkansen set was produced by Bachmann for Tenshodo ten or so years ago and sold under the Tenshodo name. Only a single batch of five car sets was produced without any extension sets. The prototype is a sixteen car set. Nine sets were built in 1995-7 and are due for scrapping. The Japanese tend to scrap and replace rather than refurbish. The late Peter Semmens' book "High Speed In Japan", published by Platform 5 is a useful English Language source for information.
With the growth of Chinese high speed lines, I would think it very likely that Bachmann will produce similar sets for that market in the future. They have already done the Chinese clone of the German ICE train.
It should perhaps be noted that Japanese HO is normally 1/80th scale to match the Japanese three foot, six inch track gauge The shinkansen sets are 1/87.
In Japan of course, HO is a minority scale, N gauge predominating. A reflection of the small size of Japanese houses.

Bob M.
Offline Hajime  
#7 Posted : 14 October 2010 18:15:13(UTC)
Hajime

Japan   
Offline BR01097  
#8 Posted : 20 November 2010 07:03:27(UTC)
BR01097

United States   
eduard71 wrote:

Regards
Eduardo

Japanese trains are definitely worth modelling. When I lived there in the mid-Eighties, most noticeable was their use of multiple rail units, with each individual coach powered by a separate diesel engine below deck level. Diesel was generally the exception though; the JNR runs electric whenever it can. Locomotives as a separate vehicle were generally on point of only freight trains.

I did ride the Shinkansen (Bullet Train) twice from Nagoya to Hiroshima, and then Nagoya to Tokyo and back. No question it is efficient: the wheels themselves are individual motors--no extra commutator required. But for a train buff, it was disappointing. Nothing really distinguishes it from riding within the fuselage of an aircraft: very smooth, very fast, very dull. The Japanese are nothing if not a very practical people.

Collector of Märklin fine-quality trains since 1966.

Offline DamonKelly  
#9 Posted : 08 May 2013 14:47:06(UTC)
DamonKelly

Australia   
Finally!

HO scale Shinkansen Series 0

For the Japanically-challenged (like me) try:
http://translate.google....2Fsrs01_0shinkansen.html
Cheers,
Damon
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DamonKelly
Offline nevw  
#10 Posted : 08 May 2013 23:21:33(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Nice price
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline shannon  
#11 Posted : 09 May 2013 03:43:31(UTC)
shannon

Originally Posted by: eduard71 Go to Quoted Post

Regards
Eduardo

Tenshodo Series 500 HO
http://bbs.cmratw.org/bb...=2528&extra=page%3D1

A part of Shinkansen Series 500 shorten from 16 cars to 8 cars since 2008 with new road number as 500-7000 traveling on Sanyan high speed line was caused by unfitted design for passengers capacity, uncomfortable seating due to narrow space and amazingly illegal noise. The rest were scrapped out and were gradually replaced by N700.

Offline rmsailor  
#12 Posted : 10 May 2013 13:52:48(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   
In Japan, because of the small size of the normal Japanese house, the normal scale of choice is N. As a result of this any HO production is probably be from one of the speciality or artisan producers. though Kato does produce a small amount. As a result of this, production is liable to be limited and expensive.

Bob M
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rmsailor
Offline intruder  
#13 Posted : 10 May 2013 19:04:21(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
eduard71 wrote:
.. Does any of you have travel on a train like the Shinkansen Series 500? What is your opinion?

I have travelled from Tokyo to Kyoto and return with the series 700 only.
Very smooth and comfortable ride with excellent service on board.

By the way, I once saw some HO models of big Japanese steam engines, in a model railway shop in Keio Department Store in Shinjuku, Tokyo.
Very detailed and expensive, between JPY 200.000 and 300.000. I did not buy any.
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline Western Pacific  
#14 Posted : 11 May 2013 13:30:11(UTC)
Western Pacific

Sweden   
I could imagine that one reason for H0 not being so common in Japan is the fact that you can find model trains and houses in 1:80 scale.

I don't know why this scale has made it in Japan. It could perhaps have something to do with the fact that only new Shinkansen lines are standard gauge. Older lines are narrow gauge 1,067 mm (aka Cape gauge) and even if that would mean a 13.3 mm gauge for the track, it could be that using ordinary H0 track at 16.5 mm makes it look like a narrow gauge line, since the H0 track is only 2.2 mm too wide.

In 2011 my daughter visited Japan in December and as a late Christmas present I got a model kit of a Japanese Restaurant (or a Ryokan - a Japanese traditional inn) in 1:80 scale that I plan on using on my future H0 layout.
Somebody may argue that it is not prototypical to have a Japanese style building on an otherwise mainly European looking layout, but I will disagree with that.
  • First because I have seen a Japanese restaurant built as a one-storey wooden building surrounded by a Japanese style garden in the outskirts of the German city of Düsseldorf. (In the 1990-ies I travelled relatively often to what was first known as Mannesmann Mobilfunk, later Vodafone Germany, and its head quarters in Düsseldorf. Often though last plane out of Stockholm, a hotel night and then an all day meeting with the customer and the last plane back to Stockholm, which meant that I never had the opportunity to go to that restaurant).

• Second on my layout I decide what looks good and since there will be DB-trains side by side with FS (Italy), SJ (Sweden) and so on as well as Western Pacific, Union Pacific and Amtrak, why not having a Japanese building as well.

The model was bought from Tenshodo in the well know shopping district Ginza in Tokyo. ( http://www.tenshodo.co.jp/ ). Do I need to point out that I had been to the Tenshodo train store in Ginza many years before when I was in Tokyo on a business trip and I had dropped a hint about the store to my daughter?
Offline Yaasan  
#15 Posted : 25 August 2013 23:25:38(UTC)
Yaasan

Japan   
KATO model company shows new Shinkansen HO model which is E5 in east japan.

http://www.katomodels.com/ho/e5kei/
http://www.katousa.com/P...-E5Hayabusa-August13.pdf

The price of basic set is 33600JPY (about 300EUR). But some Japanese model railway shops priced 25000JPY.BigGrin
I don't know possible that which this model has DCC ready. Kato's officer considers releasing this product in EU and US.

E5 Shinkansen runs on in East Japan. The max speed achieves about 320 km/h.
Offline rmsailor  
#16 Posted : 26 August 2013 09:11:46(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   
Hi Yaasan,

Kramm are listing it as a forthcoming model at a price of 249.90 Euros for the basic four car set. Eurolokshop in the USA are also listing it.

It will be interesting to see how they do the bogies as these trains have skirting down to nearly rail level. Possibly they will be able to provide sufficient swing by not fitting outside frames as the bogies are completely covered anyway.

Bob M.
Offline DamonKelly  
#17 Posted : 17 December 2013 09:51:10(UTC)
DamonKelly

Australia   
Originally Posted by: DamonKelly Go to Quoted Post
Finally!

HO scale Shinkansen Series 0

For the Japanically-challenged (like me) try:
http://translate.google....2Fsrs01_0shinkansen.html

Success!

Just bought this 4-car set (2 x locos, 2 x passenger wagons) plus a 4 car set (2 x passenger, 2 x kitchen wagons) from IMON in Akihabara!
They are now (hopefully!) on a slow boat to Australia, and should arrive (probably) after we return home.
Pictures later...

The web address has moved:
to here

Posted from flight JL407 Narita to Frankfurt somewhere over Central Siberia...ain't technology wonderful!
BTW, Siberia is boring to look down on...snow, rivers, snow...
JAL Business Class service is excellent, though!

Currently at 10972m / 36000 feet
Speed 870 km/hr / 545 mph
Outside Temperature -53°C / -61°F
Cheers,
Damon
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DamonKelly
Offline stevebkk  
#18 Posted : 17 December 2013 18:20:21(UTC)
stevebkk

Thailand   
Hi Eduardo, this is a topic close to my heart. I have lived in Asia for almost 25 years and have travelled on Japanese trains for both business and pleasure many many times. There is a sub-culture there of people who are infatuated by all things relating to trains, generally referred to as "Otaku", which are typically a bit more obsessive than the average train spotter in the UK for example. What is interesting is that despite the average Japanese house being small, and the most popular scale being "N", there is still significant interest in HO scale, and in the Tokyo area alone there are quite a number of shops that sell Marklin HO. On my recent visit I even stumbled across a small Marklin outlet in one of the major department stores, not listed in the official trailer list (there is a minimum purchase volume required by Marklin, and some shops I've encountered opt to buy from other dealers in US or Europe as opposed to direct from the manufacturer). On the specific subject of Japanese models, I often browse the Marklin catalogs and wonder why they don't invest in some Shinkansen (bullet train) models; not only are they impressive trains but if Marklin are keen to expand their global footprint, then they could do considerably worse than Japanese models. Many of us agree that Marklin manufacture some of the best quality model trains available, and subsequently I could tell you that they would sell a huge volume of any Japanese model in Japan including to many collectors there whether they have AC systems or not. I sincerely hope that someone from Marklin marketing reads your topic Eduardo, and that they at least give it some air time at a future development meeting. Many thanks.BigGrin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by stevebkk
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#19 Posted : 18 December 2013 09:58:47(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Many Spanish trains are of Japanese origin. You could consider searching for Electrotren which happens to make a lot of their models for 3 rail AC, of course they would have Spanish markings and colours but it opens the door to a lot of other models you could have.