Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kweekalot  
#1 Posted : 14 December 2013 21:06:13(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Hi,

I want to built a small transportable 1950s style layout that I can take to shows and to the school of my boys.
But on such an oldschool layout, landscaping done with an electrostatic flocking doesn't fit very well.

So I was intrested in the landscaping and flocking methods used by Marklin on their factory layouts ("Werksanlagen") in the 1950s.

For the flocking of these 1950s factory layouts, Marklin used a special mixture of plaster, white glue and fibers.
This had a white grey color and was painted after drying.
I have read that back in the days, Marklin didn't wanted to use the dyed Faller fibers, as those discolored rather quickly and were too fragile.

Nowadays this Marklin ancient plaster flocking technique is somewhat forgotten.
Also by me. Until I saw on a German mrr forum that a modeller named Andreas was using it again.
When I saw his results I was speechless, with this plaster flocking technique he made the most charming 1950 style layout I've ever seen.(2nd photo).

Now I want to use this ancient Marklin plaster flocking method on my new layout too.

Today I did a little test with my boys on a small piece of wood.

We used plaster that you normally use for leveling walls, it's cheap, a box of 2500 grams is € 5,-
After mixing the plaster with water to the correct thickness, we added white glue in 1:5 ratio (1 part glue and 5 parts plaster) and added some Faller fibers too.
My boys smeared the mix on the piece of test wood surface

The 1st result looked encouraging and actually pretty good.
If it's dry tomorrow, we're going to paint it.

Marco

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline seatrains  
#2 Posted : 14 December 2013 21:51:23(UTC)
seatrains

United States   
Marco, can you provide a link to the other forum. I love these vintage layouts!Love
Thom
European Train Enthusiast - Pacific Northwest Chapter
4th Division, Pacific Northwest Region, National Model Railroaders Association
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by seatrains
Offline biedmatt  
#3 Posted : 14 December 2013 21:52:38(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Careful there Marco, you'll get you finger stuck.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline kweekalot  
#4 Posted : 14 December 2013 21:58:20(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: seatrains Go to Quoted Post
Marco, can you provide a link to the other forum. I love these vintage layouts!Love

Hi Thom,

See here: LINK (5 pages)

Of course I invited Andreas (username DL800 on the German forum) a few weeks ago to become a member of M-users too and show his layout .... but I have not seen him here yet.

Marco
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline cookee_nz  
#5 Posted : 15 December 2013 01:34:05(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: kweekalot Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: seatrains Go to Quoted Post

Hi Thom,

See here: LINK (5 pages)

Of course I invited Andreas (username DL800 on the German forum) a few weeks ago to become a member of M-users too and show his layout .... but I have not seen him here yet.

Marco

Marco, that is brilliant, thanks heaps for this post and especially the photo's and such a simple clear explanation.

I wondered why the appearance looked familiar to me, then I recalled the older Faller buildings of the 1950's, specifically the factory-made ones and they seem kind of similar in the texture. Do you think they painted the baseboards and some of the walls using a similar technique?

And I wish you well with building your layout. It's one thing to 'own' an original factory layout like I and a couple of others do, but it's quite something else again to recreate one from scratch - imho that takes a lot more skill (and time) but the results can be spectacular.

Best

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline kweekalot  
#6 Posted : 15 December 2013 11:50:59(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Hi Steve,

Yes, back in the days Faller also used plaster for the walls of their early buildings.
But I don't know if Faller also added white glue to the mix of tiny woodchips and plaster.

I don't know either why Marklin added white glue to the plaster mix.
Perhaps to prevent cracking or to make it a bit stronger ??

And I'm not going to make a replica Werksanlagen, I only want to use some 1950s modeling techniques.

But Andreas from the German forum made a ​​very good replica, perhaps even better than the original Werksnanlagen.
The framework, wiring, plastering and looks are identical to the original 1950s factory layouts.
He must be a very talented artist. I have watched his photos over and over again.
I guess one of the reasons why his layout is so exellent, it is very tight and precise painting of the old school plastering, and the choice of colors (the tone of the green and blue).

Marco
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline Eurobahnfan  
#7 Posted : 15 December 2013 18:09:52(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
Thanks for the information... I'll be interested in seeing how everything turns out. The older werksanlagen - like the post-war Lionel display layouts - are always a source of inspiration for me. I'm looking at building something similar in the year ahead. I look forward to seeing your progress.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Eurobahnfan