Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#1 Posted : 22 October 2013 03:30:24(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
In the 'Please show us a picture of .............' thread (https://www.marklin-users.net/fo...osts&t=28537&p=2) I requested that Forum members might like to post pictures of their very first Marklin items they ever had, and a short description of what those items mean to them. It was suggested that this would be a good topic for a separate thread, so here it is. We had 2 answers in that thread from Richard (Dumbguy) and Jacques (jvuye), so I'm reproducing those here. Go for it!

Edited by user 22 October 2013 10:39:40(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 22 October 2013 03:31:18(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: DumbGuy Go to Quoted Post
Here’s a CM-800 (AKA 3000) BR 89-005 from the 1950’s. Bought new in Munich by my Grandfather for my Father then handed down to me. Two front headlight bulbs, plastic body, and analog SFCM motor. Still in perfect running condition!

It was the first “hook” that started me in this obsessive hobby. It will pass down to my son. FWIW I've edited my original post to add a display photo of the loco with rolling stock of similar vintage. They were all part of the "hook". This was a very fine request, Bigdaddy. Thanks

Regards -- Richard
Bigdaddynz attached the following image(s):
Dumbguy1.png
Dumbguy2.png
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 22 October 2013 03:31:53(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
Ok, I'll jump in then...
Here's my first loco, an RSM 800, anno 1950.
Must have run literally hundreds of km...
A witness to the quality of Märklin production of the era. Perfect durability even though this was at the time the entry level offering.
Now if you ask why the "vandal" part in my signature... here's why: this engine has suffered an incredible amount of abuse!
First it was tested to see at what speed it would jump off the tracks.
Witness is a little gash in the roofline as it flew off teh table and landed on the flor one day.
Then it was "endurance tested" running days on end, without interruption.
The trafo died (280A model) but the loco did not!
Then it was basically the test piece for all my unfortunate attempts to understand "how does it work? " and "how do I fix it?"

It received a thorough refit in the 1980's when I finally had acquired **some** skills on how to do it the right way.
Still runs impeccably.

Yes Mehmet, it is still analog!

To me , an irreplaceable and priceless piece of my life...

jvuye.jpg
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline DV  
#4 Posted : 22 October 2013 05:15:52(UTC)
DV

Australia   
1957 was the best Christmas I had as a kid. I got my Märklin 3103 set, a big blue transformer and some extra track and points. I also got the biggest box of Lego available at that time in Germany and my mother got a Grundig 'Portable' record player. All thanks to ChristkindleBigGrin

At that time (if my memory serves me correctly) you waited until midnight and after Christkindle arrived, you could open your presents. Well I had a very late night.

That set started my love of all things Märklin to this day, It got me into serious model railroading as after that Christmas every month on pay day my parents would take me to the local Hobby Shop in Ludwigsburg (which closed in 2006 after there was no one left in the family to operate itCrying ) and buy one piece of M track. At birthdays I would get points, cross overs (all hand operated) and the rail crossing (which I still have, minus one arm). Still got the blue transformer but unfortunately the cord is frayed beyond repair, but I'm still loath to throw it awayCrying .

I still have that set (not the box unfortunately, got mashed up in the packing case when we came to Australia by boat). The only things that have been done to the loco were change of brushes and a new shoe. It was kicked, dropped, smashed and all the other things you do to a loco when you're a kid, and it still runs like 'clockwork' to this day.

Don't have any photos of it, but I did do a video, running, of course, at the speed you would as a seven year old.BigGrin

You'll also notice that I have lost the small cupola on the baggage wagon and have tried to replace it with plasticine when I was a teenagerBigGrin

My grandsons love it, especially the bright bulbs. They'll just have to fight for it once my interest in Märklin is dead and goneBigGrin
Dusan V
'I find your lack of faith (in Märklin) disturbing'
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by DV
Offline Janne75  
#5 Posted : 22 October 2013 07:39:21(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Thanks from a very good topic! My very first Märklin product was the starter set 2920 with BR 89 loco 3104 and two green 4040 passenger wagons. I got it at the age of 5 or 6. I used it very much as it was my only train "toy" at that time. When I got older I got Märklin 3087 loco. I dreamed about front lights in my locos and was Drool for a 3091 BR 18.4 in a hobby store. Those locos were so expensive at those times...

I think that it may be the reason why I have now 15 different BR 18.4 and S 3/6 locos. And all have now lights! BigGrin

Best regards,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 22 October 2013 08:18:35(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
This was the first loco I knew, a CM800, followed about a year later by a similar 3000. It was really a christmas present for my brother the year I was born, 1958, but he lost interest in the trains quite early on and I inherited the set. The first wagon in the train in the photo is also from that time, and this is a 311/1 later known as a 4601.

The original set also included three 327/1 (4000) passenger wagons, of which 2 survive, but in poor condition. I have replaced them recently with 3 second hand 4000s of around the right period. I've added a second photo showing 89028 pulling these three coaches.

The third picture shows the 3000, 89005 from around 1959

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Ian555  
#7 Posted : 22 October 2013 08:41:28(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi all,

My first Märklin...a 1959 CM800 that I got as a Xmas present that year...I was 7.

And her she is 54 years later, the first Loco to run in my new Train Room.

Along with my first Banana van...Smile

Ian.

thanks 13 users liked this useful post by Ian555
Offline DumbGuy  
#8 Posted : 22 October 2013 09:32:45(UTC)
DumbGuy

United States   
And let's not forget the Charm that 60-year old big blue heavy metal power brings to the party!

Regards -- Richard
DumbGuy attached the following image(s):
00 = 280A Front.JPG
00 = 280A Back.JPG
Long-time analog user, collector & tinkerer.
Discovered digital & began conversion a few years ago.
C-Track, CS2 Carpetbahn built, taken-down, rebuilt, etc.
Username reflects how much I still have to learn.
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by DumbGuy
Offline DV  
#9 Posted : 22 October 2013 23:31:14(UTC)
DV

Australia   
And let's not forget the Charm that 60-year old big blue heavy metal power brings to the party!

Regards -- Richard

Wow, that's a 'modern day' blue trafoLOL LOL

Mine has only got three points to plug in - red, brown and yellowBigGrin
Dusan V
Offline DumbGuy  
#10 Posted : 23 October 2013 01:42:54(UTC)
DumbGuy

United States   
Dusan -- The transformer is actually an earlier model than the 3-plug versions. The brown grounds are common. The green “W” plug on the right is for connection to older solenoid devices (switches) that can require a higher power pulse. Output from it is well over 20 volts, which is OK for an analog pulse, but will probably fry pretty much anything digital.

I'll still use the transformer (and/or a newer 6153) on my digital layout. But only to power non-LED light bulbs for accessories using the “B” plug. That will allow me to dim & vary their brightness simply by twisting the control knob – an effect I like & learned from the Forum thanks to 3railf4life and others.

Regards -- Richard

Edited by user 23 October 2013 06:11:32(UTC)  | Reason: Add Credits

Long-time analog user, collector & tinkerer.
Discovered digital & began conversion a few years ago.
C-Track, CS2 Carpetbahn built, taken-down, rebuilt, etc.
Username reflects how much I still have to learn.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DumbGuy
Offline DV  
#11 Posted : 23 October 2013 05:10:42(UTC)
DV

Australia   
Dusan -- The transformer is actually an earlier model than the 3-plug versions.

Regards -- Richard

Well, you learn something new everyday.ThumpUp ThumpUp

Thanks for thatThumpUp ThumpUp
Dusan V
Offline Markus Schild  
#12 Posted : 25 October 2013 11:07:31(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

This is a cut-out from a larger picture in our family-album. Yes, that's me in 1968 with my first Märklin: A TEMPO - Hochlader (ref. 8026), the small pick-up in the foreground. My one was blue. Yes, I still have it.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Regards

Markus

thanks 10 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline hennabm  
#13 Posted : 25 October 2013 14:18:33(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi all

It was around the time I was 8 my father gave me his collection of M*. He had collected when in Germany during his spell in the forces from 57 - 60.
Unfortunately he was unable to set it ourt upon his return from Germany because UK houses are not as generous in space.

It consisted of a 3011 and several coaches. there was also the 4 axle bogie flat trucks x 4 and one 2 axle flat truck.
The circuit was one oval with a passing place and sidings, all with catenary.

All the original items are still with me and boxed, although some are showing signs of wear now. None have been used on my recent layout build as I wanted to preserve them for my own posterity.
The box that they all lived in throughout my childhood is still the box they live in. A Heinz Tomato 57 box.

I also was given the 1958 and 59 catalogues at the same time and would dream about the things I wish I could buy. The 3015 was an example and when I found out the price I knew that I would never own one, as a lad anyway!

The items were used most weekends in the winter when I would fill my bedroom with them and then take it all down again for the Sunday night, ready for school on the Monday. So all the items have been well used. Goodness knows how many times the original 3011 has circuited the trackBlink

It is still a runner with very little service over the years.ThumpUp It was the first to complete the full circuit of my layout when I finished this year.BigGrin

Mike

Edited by user 25 October 2013 21:06:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by hennabm
Offline petestra  
#14 Posted : 25 October 2013 18:23:58(UTC)
petestra

United States   
I received the 3100 set (3000 Lok and 3 metal coaches) with the 30va Trafo for my

11th birthday in March of 1964. For that same birthday mom took me to the movie theater

with a mate to see Burt Lancaster in the film "The Train". It was a super birthday

for me. Peter Cool
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by petestra
Offline Goofy  
#15 Posted : 25 October 2013 18:50:39(UTC)
Goofy

I was one year old when my parents did bought an Marklin set as christmas gift to me.
I think it was 2900 set with three axles tankloco and two green coaches made of thin metal.
And of course...M tracks and blue trafo.
This was year 1964.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline Janne75  
#16 Posted : 25 October 2013 23:48:56(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi all,

I just wanted to write that this topic reminds me so much from my childhood and brings back many nice memories with Märklin. It is great to read about these childhood memories what other forum members have had also. It felt like I went back in time for 30 years... And then I remembered that I'm 38 years old now Smile . But hey, age is only numbers. It is always good to have a bit child's mind or how is it said?

I really think that our parent's have been very cleaver when they have given us Märklin trains as we have got so much nice memories through our lives from them.

Cheers,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline LA2019  
#17 Posted : 26 October 2013 01:27:17(UTC)
LA2019

United States   
My older brother went to a train show a few years ago and found this DRG 38 3553 and some M track and surprised me with a birthday gift. This engine literally started my love affair with Marklin!

UserPostedImage
LA2019 attached the following image(s):
IMG_6193.JPG
Ken
USofA
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by LA2019
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#18 Posted : 26 October 2013 12:22:49(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Similar topic from two years ago.......

https://www.marklin-user..._postsm295224_posts.aspx
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline RayF  
#19 Posted : 26 October 2013 12:32:55(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Topics like this seem to re-appear every couple of years as new members come along with similar ideas to established members. I don't mind. It's fun to discuss our old trains and first experiences with Marklin.
Ray
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline BrandonVA  
#20 Posted : 31 October 2013 21:19:24(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
It was Christmas 1988. My father worked for Mobil Oil. At the time, because of the company, our family (American) lived in Wellington, New Zealand. I remember a warm Christmas morning (warmer than Colorado), and looking out over Wellington Harbour (we had the excellent blessing of company paid housing, and a very nice view). I had not put a model train on "Santa's list." There was the curious large rectangular package under the tree. I was completely (and happily) surprised to find a Marklin Starter set, 2980. I remember setting it up on the carpet, and initially struggling with my father to get the K track sections snugly seated into each other. Soon the carpet would be replaced with a rectangle of plywood from a local hardware store. Once the train was running, it was a new world of wonder for me. Initially I ran her backwards, I just didn't know which way was the "front" of a 260 (although 260 can run both ways in the prototype). This is probably also the beginning of my fascination with V60s...

UserPostedImage

Everything from this set, the models, the track and the rolling stock (even the box!)

Here's the whole train (the freight baggage car with sliding doors was of immense entertainment in loading):

UserPostedImage

This little loco has done a lot of hours, and pulled all kinds of loads. I still run her regularly today, my sons are very fond of her (despite the increased inventory of locos at our house). Sure, she needs a dusting. I have a new roof for her in a box, but I don't have the heart to put it on.

2980 was a K track starter set, so I have been (mostly) K ever since. As a result, I never really got into M track (but I appreciate and respect it).

If we were not in New Zealand, I am not sure I would have ended up with this 220v starter set. It seems to me in my boyhood reflections (and what is confirmed in this forum) that NZ has a very good Marklin community. There were secondhand items available. In the time to come, my parents would purchase a few used items from Peter Lemmon, whom I privately referred to as "Mr. Marklin" due to the size of his collection. Here is my second loco (purchased later, perhaps the next year), second hand. This one was from a shop, and not Mr. Lemmon. She was already a little rough when I got her...and has had a lot of adventures that did not help. I did not care then or now. It was great to have a big black fast steam engine, all those pistons and rods moving so quickly as the wheels went round. Who knew the engine could go so fast she would fall off the curves! This engine has pulled all manner of trains, and a lot more freight trains than you would expect of BR03 :) I fitted her with a smoke generator at some point over the next couple of years, another adventure in wonder.

UserPostedImage

I finally overhauled her a couple of years ago (good cleaning, standard maintenance), and I think she runs as well today as she did then, or when she was new.

UserPostedImage

If I had to give up my collection, these two locos would always be kept. These two items are the spirit of my heart for Marklin. I remember simple times, times in a beautiful country, times spent with my father. Now, whenever they go on the track, I remember those amazing boyhood feelings.

-Brandon
thanks 13 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#21 Posted : 01 November 2013 04:36:33(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Great story Brandon! I'll have to ask Peter if he remembers you! Peter Lemmon is a member of our Wellington Marklin Club, and although he lives in Taupo now, still regularly visits us. He will be here over 23/24 November for our Railex exhibition. I had the pleasure of visiting Peter's home when I was in Taupo in July this year for an exhibition - he has a 1 Gauge layout built into a shed in his backyard. He has an extensive Marklin H0 collection as well, plus other trains, including some that he built himself as a young lad. I'll send him an email regarding this thread and your post in particular.

Your parents would have most likely purchased your starter set from Modelcrafts and Hobbies who were based in Mercer Street at the time. They have now shifted further up the street, but sadly no longer sell Marklin trains - the business changed hands about 20 or so years ago, and that is when they stopped selling Marklin.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline BrandonVA  
#22 Posted : 01 November 2013 14:05:33(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Thanks David! Maybe I will try to take some photos of a few of the items I believe my parents acquired from Mr. Lemmon and post them separately. Where are they some 25 years later so to speak :) I have some paperwork from the original stuff my father had kept, I'll look through it and see if I have anything for the original set, perhaps be able to confirm it for you.

-Brandon
Offline BrandonVA  
#23 Posted : 01 November 2013 19:56:53(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
David,

I don't have too much paperwork from NZ (mostly stuff from the early 90s when we had moved back to the US), but I do have my first catalog, 1989-1990. It's stamped Modelcrafts and Hobbies, so your guess was right on. The cost is listed as $12.50 NZD. I think I got my money's worth out of this catalog (you may say I looked through it a few times)!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

-Brandon
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline Janne75  
#24 Posted : 01 November 2013 21:13:06(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Yes, Märklin's old catalogs brings many lovely memories... Love

I had a Märklin catalog 1979 in my childhood. I was dreaming from nice locomotives, rolling stock and Drool for those layout pictures (especially from page 66). When I was around 15 years old I unfortunately sold all my Märklin items. But later I understood that it was a big mistake. Something very important was missing.

Well nowadays I have made those childhood dreams come true. I had to buy also Märklin catalogs and I have all of them from 1973 to 1989 and also many newer ones. Older catalogs had that something the newer ones don't. Same thing with the locos and rolling stock from that time. That something is what I love in a bit older Märklin (1950-1980 or so). Analog locos and mostly made of metal.

Cheers,
Janne
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#25 Posted : 01 November 2013 21:15:50(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Thanks Brandon. Modelcrafts and Hobbies for a time during the mid 1980's/90's had a second shop in Gresham Plaza, and that is where your catalog came from.

They have a website now, but no Marklin - http://www.modelcraftsandhobbies.co.nz/
Offline steventrain  
#26 Posted : 01 November 2013 21:20:53(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Similar topic from two years ago.......

https://www.marklin-user..._postsm295224_posts.aspx

Don't forget vote please if you have not done yet.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline Eurobahnfan  
#27 Posted : 01 November 2013 21:56:58(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
I grew up with trains, but never had the Maerklin I wished for Sad Many years later, while living in Berlin, I found some sheet metal wagons at a flea market and picked them up "just for the collection:" my love of Maerklin was rekindled! Beyond that initial purchase, my first "real" Maerklin was a 29625 starter set I purchased from Obletter in Garmisch-Partenkirchen... with extra wagons from Spielwaren Heinz just a few blocks away.

I've collected all scales and vintages, from pre-War Lionel O gauge to modern production Z, N, HO and 1/MAXI. Over the last few years, however, I've begun using Maerklin catalogs from the late 50s to the mid 60s as a guide to finally building that playroom analog layout I always wished for as a boy. (Digital is nice, but it doesn't capture the sound of wheels on M track and the smell of ozone from an early three-pole motorBigGrin )
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Eurobahnfan
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#28 Posted : 03 November 2013 00:48:47(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
As mentioned in the previous thread I purchased my first starter set, a 3122 set, in 1971 at age 11. At that time my cousin worked at the NZ Marklin importers, so she was able to get the set and a 30va transformer for me at a discounted price - I think the set was $40 and the transformer another $20. I had originally intended to buy a Marklin Sprint set, but a schoolmate convinced me I should buy trains instead. It was my prized possession for many years (still is), giving much enjoyment. I added to the set bit by bit by buying track and freight cars. I later added a 3000 loco (my sister now has this for her kids when they were younger), a 3085 BR 03 and a 3357 BR 103. My collection expanded rapidly when I discovered what could be brought from ebay and online German shops.

My cousins and the brother of my now brother-in-law also had Marklin, so school holidays were often spent combining our Marklin resources and making large Marklin carpetbahn's, much to the consternation of the adults, who quickly found their lounges full with trains. Somehow, I ended up with the 3005 that my brother-in-law and his brother had - that loco has sure had some running!

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 10 November 2013 06:10:41(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

3122_01.jpg
3122_02.jpg
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline cookee_nz  
#29 Posted : 03 November 2013 01:01:38(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Brandon. Modelcrafts and Hobbies for a time during the mid 1980's/90's had a second shop in Gresham Plaza, and that is where your catalog came from.

They have a website now, but no Marklin - http://www.modelcraftsandhobbies.co.nz/

Not to forget their very short-lived shop in Courtenay Place (late 70's, roughly halfway between the Paramount & Embassy Theatres), I don't think that one lasted even a year, and their more recent one in Lower Hutt.

Ah nostalgia, it's a great place to hang out BigGrin
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline kweekalot  
#30 Posted : 03 November 2013 14:24:57(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
I love this thread a lot, but is it only Marklin branded ?
Are other mrr brands allowed too?
I bought my first Marklin only 4 or 5 years ago. Blushing

However I grew up in the late 60's /early 70's with the Trix Express trains from my father and older brother.
And those 3rail Trix Express trains were the base of my love for the mrr hobby.
My father had many Faller, Vollmer and Kibri catalogs and those "books"were the first books I read as a toddler and now 47 years later these 1960s catalogs still predominantly contribute to how I experience my model train hobby.

Recently I discovered in an old family album a photo showing that my father and older brother get their first model trains as a Christmas gift in 1963 from my grandfather.
It was a Trix Express set and a set from “Heinrich Wimmer Blechspielwarenfabrik” aka HWB.
As a kid I spent many hours playing with the Trix and HWB trains, the HWB set was my favorite, it ran on the Trix express tracks on 4,5 Volt DC (the yellow transformer).

Last year I found most of the Trix Express and the HWB set back in a box in my basement, the HWB set is very precious to me.

Me and my boys now run the HWB wagons on our Marklin layout.
My favorite HWB loco needs some work, I want to restore it before the end of the year.
I still want to know what station is on the photo.

Marco

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 03 November 2013 21:23:02(UTC)  | Reason: typo....

thanks 11 users liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline kweekalot  
#31 Posted : 03 November 2013 18:50:55(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
I think it must be Faller B-107 Station Neukirch with Faller platform B-191.
But I'm sure that when I started playing with the layout around 1970, we no longer had this station.

UserPostedImage
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#32 Posted : 03 November 2013 21:18:40(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: kweekalot Go to Quoted Post
I love this thread a lot, but is it only Marklin branded ?

Of course you can post about other brands Marco, I'm always keen to hear people's stories, and yours is a really good one! ThumpUp

Thanks for posting.
Offline Yumgui  
#33 Posted : 03 November 2013 21:42:21(UTC)
Yumgui

United States   
Here's mine,

Thanks to my grandparents (parents are cheap in general :) around 1966 I inherited a passion ... a bit impersonal OK, but many stories follow from this image :

UserPostedImage

TBC ...

Y ThumpUp
If your M track is rusted ... DON'T throw it out !
Working on: https://studiogang.com/projects/all
My heavy train station renovation: https://youtu.be/QQlyNiq416A
Inspired by: http://www.nakedmarklin.com/... Am not alone in this universe, phew.
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by Yumgui
Offline intruder  
#34 Posted : 05 November 2013 21:11:41(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
My first locomotive? I so not recall the very first one, as I got some old used stuff in two badges from a former colleague sometime in the late 70s

The first badge I think it was parts from two starter sets, as I got two old small blue transformers with metal casing. It ), two more or less destroyed 3029 and some flat cars, maybe two start sets 2943 and some well used M-tracks.

The 3029-8:

3029.jpg

My first painting attempt, not very successful

The second badge, as far as I can remember, was a 3000-7 Br 89 in a box and a 3013-4 NS1100, unboxed.

The 3000-7 Br 89 after some tampering from me:

3000A.jpg

I think I had to replace the locomotive body.

The 3013 NS 1100, after replacing more or less all the small parts:

3013.jpg

Märklin 3013, Ns 1100

I will not say that these locomotives mean something to me, but they give me some good memories.

Edited by moderator 16 November 2019 09:50:33(UTC)  | Reason: Replaced Svein's missing images due to his website being no longer available online due to his passi

Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by intruder
Offline Tom Jessop  
#35 Posted : 06 November 2013 21:35:36(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

My first Loco was a Hr800 which I received when I was about 3 years old , the 2nd was a SK800 & the 3rd a G800 . I never thought much about the value of the engines when I was younger but now realise that my father thought a lot about me when I was young knee high boy. We must have been in upper middle class social standing when I think of the cost in the very early 50's . Considering the amount of abuse these 3 engines received over the years I am so happy that they still run with little maintenance over the 62 years since the HR 800 first appeared on a carpet bahn at home & I was made to sit on my bed & watch.

Tom in Oz.
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline hgk  
#36 Posted : 06 November 2013 23:24:11(UTC)
hgk

My first Marklin.
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to post a warning to others. A few years back I was searching on ebay for a transformer for another project when one of the photos caught my eye.

I had no clue what Marklin z scale was but I was truly impressed and for 20 bucks I couldn’t resist. That was the beginning of an addiction which has lead to tracks and mountains and castles and sheds and too many cars and engines to count (and I still don’t have a finished working layout yet). So be warned your first Marklin piece will not be your last and needless to say I gave up on whatever the project was that I was originally searching for.
-George
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by hgk
Offline Western Pacific  
#37 Posted : 09 November 2013 14:12:18(UTC)
Western Pacific

Sweden   
Using a photo that I have downloaded from eBay.de, my first Märklin-set was a CM 805/3:

I still have the lok, the refrigerator wagon and the low side wagon. I believe the red wagon has been used for spare parts. One reason for not taking a photo of my own box is that the partitioning inside the box are long gone and the M-track pieces are in use on a layout in my brother's house. (A house that used to be our parents' and he and his wife bought it a year or so after our father died in a swap deal where our mother bought their flat and that was over twenty years ago. In principle I still own half that layout).

I got the set for Christmas 1958 from my parents and I also got a 4026 from an aunt. I still have the 4026, but the roof has been repainted and some steps are missing. For that reason I bought 00796-03 for use in a 24-cm coach train that also have 4051s and 4052s and a 4024 being pulled by either 3039 DB BR 110 or 3048 DB BR 01 since the other coaches and engines are at least eight to ten years younger and in a much better shape than my original 4026.

The BR 89 lok has been retrofitted with a Seuthe steam generator #99, which has got a special protecting ring that can take the heat generated and therefore this steam generator allows itself to be installed in a lok with plastic body. There was very little space in the lok and I had to modify the reversing relay a bit to make it fit, since the smoke generator hit the relay arm at the electromagnetic end. This lok has been heavily used over the years and all wheels have been replaced and most of the cog-wheels. The electric motor is still the original one, but I'm contemplating converting the lok to digital and install a five-pole motor. I guess this last comment reveals that I have plans for the future of the lok - my first.
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by Western Pacific
Offline cookee_nz  
#38 Posted : 10 November 2013 04:23:58(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Great topic, some of it has been discussed before but from a different angle, I love these threads.

I grew up with Tri-ang trains as a child but visits to the local model shop (Lamphouse and Modelcrafts & Hobbies) made me aware of Marklin at quite an early age but those Locos were always an enchanting mystery and very different to the more basic and mainly plastic Tri-ang & Hornby items I was familiar with.

My Dad purchased a Faller AMS set around the mid-60's so it must have been new or near-new at the time and he built it into the railway. My very own first 'German' item was actually a Faller kit, the B-216 Car Wash, now very desirable.

But my own first Marklin purchase when I was still at school was a 7188 Distant Signal, probably around '72 or '73 - I simply wanted a coloured light signal for the Tri-ang layout and I liked the look of that signal. I still have it. Then around '75 I purchased some Pantographs and a small amount of catenary to 'convert' one of the Tri-ang diesels. My childhood imagination ran amok in those days and anything was possible. I must have had the overhead stuff on lay-by for months until I finally paid it off.

Next big decision came when I decided I was going to go the Marklin way rather than 2-rail, and I think this was largely influenced by seeing all those lovely trains in one or two Faller catalogues that my Dad had. As a young family we had virtually no spare money so I got what I could when I could starting around 1980 with a couple of lengths of K 900mm flexi-tracks.

Then quite by chance around 1981 or '82 I came across a 3203 Start Set in an antique shop, the owner who looked like a University student was trying to sell it to the shop, but they didn't want it so I asked if he would sell it to me direct and we settled on $20 - an absolute bargain even in those days! It was in very very good condition and looked to have been hardly run. I still have the set and it gets a run from time to time.

Then the absolute cream of the collection, around the same time my Dad gifted to me his Hamo 8359 "Le Capitole" Loco, I just love that engine, E-loks have always been my favourite and I spent the next 20+ years waiting to acquire a set of matching 4075 coaches. They were always expensive but patience paid off and some came available at a time I could afford them.

Then it was just a series of ongoing acquisitions but those early items hold a special place for me. I will also never forget the obvious influence of the Faller catalogues.

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#39 Posted : 15 November 2019 16:38:15(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
(Whisper mode "On" - just found this thread)

One of my first jobs while in college was at "The Switching Point" in Princeton, NJ where (legal?) I received 'product in lieu of pay for work time Cool ) and my first Märklin was:

Capture.JPG

( https://static.maerklin....94a15e5b131434538685.jpg )

and

UserPostedImage

And I still have both of them Love

Jimmy

(Whisper Mode "Off")

Edited by moderator 16 November 2019 09:38:12(UTC)  | Reason: Fixed missing image - Marklin doesn't allow hotlinking to images on their website.

Jimmy T
Analogue; M-track; BR 111; KLVM; Primex; Sarrasani Zirkuswelt
There is a Prototype For Everything
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by Jimmy Thompson
Offline cookee_nz  
#40 Posted : 16 November 2019 07:05:50(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
No problem Jimmy, sometimes it's good to inject new life into an old topic - might get some more discussion going from those who missed it first time round
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline michelvr  
#41 Posted : 16 November 2019 15:43:40(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   

The Re 421 of the SBB Cargo is my first entry into the world of Märklin HO three rail model railroading. This gem came from a Märklin starter set. I run my trains and may I say that this workhorse of an electric locomotive in blue and red must have at least 40 hours run time on it. The brushes have been replaced and I did a through cleaning to keep in tip top shape! It's my layout tester and I like it very much.

Every hobby has it's rewards and when it comes to model railroading I say Märklin!
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline GaryTrooper  
#42 Posted : 17 November 2019 00:58:52(UTC)
GaryTrooper

United States   
Beautiful-Vintage-MARKLIN-HO-Train-Set-2975-STEAM~2.jpg

Its a picture from the internet but that was the set my dad bought me at about six years old. I watched that train go around the oval for.... well five decades later I'm still watching. The oval has become a little larger though.

Edited by user 17 November 2019 04:23:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

G - LGB
O - Lionel and MTH
HO - Marklin
N - Mix of manufacturers mostly Kato
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by GaryTrooper
Offline JohnjeanB  
#43 Posted : 17 November 2019 11:44:29(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi

My first Märklin was on Christmas 1961 (after a long period of desease incubation (to train passion). In Paris at the time in Galerie Lafayette (one of our local Macy's) there was a Märklin demonstration layout with those bridges, the magic of M Track and operating signals catenary and a ballet of trains. There were lights everywhere, in switches, stations, buidings. Woaa I was really mad for those trains.
So my wish was for a 3037 (a green BR 41 Electric, just released that year) I received also a large transformer and a loop of rails.
During the holiday period I installed may train on the dining room table and kept being fascinated. A friend of mine received a larger steamer BR 44 (3027) and we installed fantastic layouts with our tracks and trains combined.

That was the start of a passion which later moved to the cellar on a fixed L-shaped layout with 10 trains and a Faller AMS layout (never worked quite well) It was with a quantity of relays (100+) to drive the trains (automatic spacing, switch control). My big regret is I have no pictures of that time
The layout when finished (1967) was like this
UserPostedImage
Cheers

Jean
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline RayF  
#44 Posted : 17 November 2019 12:00:18(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
My starter set from 1958 is still going strong!

UserPostedImage

To be truthful I have to admit that I replaced the 4000 coaches recently as my originals were not in good condition. Two were missing their roofs and had been repainted in my youth, and the third had been an early attempt by me to convert it into a goods wagon. It's no longer around!

This set was originally a Christmas present for my brother, but as he grew older he lost interest and I inherited the trains.

This set and another couple of items of stock we added in the early sixties represent for me the start of an interest in model railways that has never left me.
Ray
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#45 Posted : 17 November 2019 15:37:25(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
I neglected to mention that with all of the changes, ups, and, yes, downs of personal and professional life, the one constant has been my Märklins. Even through the sometimes necessary "Cullings" and "Herd Thinnings", Märklin remains the "solid" through thick times and thin...Smile

Jimmy
Jimmy T
Analogue; M-track; BR 111; KLVM; Primex; Sarrasani Zirkuswelt
There is a Prototype For Everything
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Jimmy Thompson
Offline michelvr  
#46 Posted : 17 November 2019 16:10:48(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Jimmy Thompson Go to Quoted Post
I neglected to mention that with all of the changes, ups, and, yes, downs of personal and professional life, the one constant has been my Märklins. Even through the sometimes necessary "Cullings" and "Herd Thinnings", Märklin remains the "solid" through thick times and thin...Smile

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy,

You are absolutely right! I believe having Märklin as a constant in our lives make's up for feeling lost when the times become thick and thin. I alway have a feeling of contentment and satisfaction whenever I walk down to my train room and look around and see my Märklin trains on my layout.

As I’ve said many times to friends and visitors, this is my miniature world and please respect the, ”Train Room Rules!”

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline kiwiAlan  
#47 Posted : 17 November 2019 17:38:02(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: michelvr Go to Quoted Post

As I’ve said many times to friends and visitors, this is my miniature world and please respect the, ”Train Room Rules!”

Somewhere I have a document with something like three subtlely different versions of that.

I must get it into a format suitable for posting ...

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline michelvr  
#48 Posted : 17 November 2019 18:20:13(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
kiwiAlen,

Here's the original that I have. I was given this from a dear friend who sadly has passed away.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline cookee_nz  
#49 Posted : 18 November 2019 05:02:35(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Lol seems it's popular. I've been using a couple of variants of that notice for the last 20-odd years at shows etc, most recently when I displayed my WonderWheel at Railex 2018.

Surprising the number of people who stop and read it, then you see the smile slowly curl up - the best are native Germans, they think it's a hoot and not at all offended.

Achtung.jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#50 Posted : 18 November 2019 08:44:30(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
DSC00003.jpg
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz