Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Frostie  
#1 Posted : 05 February 2006 20:19:38(UTC)
Frostie

United States   
It is amazing at the mass number of touch screen controllers coming out. It almost seems that the only company not joining the parade is Uhlenbrock with their Intellibox.

It does seem that this will be the future, and there is going to be some serious competition with this new technology, which will increase the speed of technology change.

Who is going to end up wth the best system ??? Hard to tell - ESU / Marklin with their ECOS / CS. Or the New Veissmann system that looks almost exactly like a video game ???

Where is a replacement for the Intellibox? Perhaps Uhlenbrock are waiting to see what happens and they do not have the desire to join the competition right now.

It is going to be very interesting. It will be funny to tell someone in a few years that you had to push little green and red buttons to activate MRR Turnouts, and they look at you like you are crazy.

The only constant in life is change. What other technologies are headed into our hobby.

Train Collection Insured by "Croc's" with "Big Boys" as Backup"
CS/MS Digital Era 1/2
Apple Man iPhone / Macbook Pro / iPad - the end of the windows PC occurred on April 4, 2010.
Love those Era 1 Tank Locomotives - the more the merrier.

Offline digilox1  
#2 Posted : 06 February 2006 01:25:54(UTC)
digilox1

ZIMO seem to be willing to join the ranks of computer manufacturers.

They`ve announced a device called "ZIRC", ZIMO Rail Center.

Basically, it will be a Windows based computer with a built in hard disc drive (no specs available at this time), a powerful booster, HLU
outputs, can bus card (of course) and provisions are made for NMRA
BDC/Lenz RailCom. A touch screen device with integrated computing
power is also thought of (project name "MX51")

So, the ZIMO system of the future is a direct drive system with built in booster capability and the ZIMO branded computer in one cabinet.

Seems, the American DCC manufacturers, Lenz, Uhlenbrock, Tams and the
non Märklin related Selectrix manufacturers are resisting to the touch screen hype.

Regards,
Manfred

Offline Frostie  
#3 Posted : 06 February 2006 03:35:05(UTC)
Frostie

United States   
Interesting ! I am not plugged into the DCC world. I am thinking about taking my CS to my local DCC dealer and letting him check it out.

I like the idea of the Zimo device. A lot of MRR seems to be devoted to electrical types which resulted in wires and connectors.

I wonder whether touch screen will be a hype or not ??? One issue will be Screen Life and care.

I placed plastic screen protectors on My CS before I even turned it on. Strangely Marklin has not even discussed this issue. It could be a problem in the future for them, or an opportunity of they choose to use it wisely.

Train Collection Insured by "Croc's" with "Big Boys" as Backup"
CS/MS Digital Era 1/2
Apple Man iPhone / Macbook Pro / iPad - the end of the windows PC occurred on April 4, 2010.
Love those Era 1 Tank Locomotives - the more the merrier.

Offline john black  
#4 Posted : 06 February 2006 11:19:25(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Frostie
<br />I placed plastic screen protectots on My CS before I even turned it on. Strangely Marklin has not even discussed this issue

Frostie: <u>You</u> did cos you're clever Cool
Can't imagine mass producers will ever do such. Helps selling more stuff ... [xx(]
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline David Dewar  
#5 Posted : 06 February 2006 13:48:09(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Interesting indeed that more firms are jumping on the control bandwaggon. Hopefully this will push Marklin to produce a better CS as there will not be enough business for all and one of the smaller firms will give up or go bust. I have always liked Zimo decoders so will be interested in any new control system they have.

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Hemmerich  
#6 Posted : 06 February 2006 22:29:29(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by David Dewar
<br />Interesting indeed that more firms are jumping on the control bandwaggon. Hopefully this will push Marklin to produce a better CS as there will not be enough business for all and one of the smaller firms will give up or go bust. I have always liked Zimo decoders so will be interested in any new control system they have.

David

I like the inventions as well as the approach of this company too. Unfortunately, Mr. Ziegler had to tell me at the fair that the decided Märklin compatible decoder for HO scale will opposed to the last plan most likely not be anymore finished this year.

(we also had a very interesting insight/"inside(r)" discussion and view about RailCom and what it means to Zimo; Some specifics of that maybe at some later time).

Both the Viessmann Command Center (which should not be expected to be on the market before end of the year) as well as the TAMS Central were and are much less impressive compared to the capabilities of the ECoS or CS. Mr. Fuhs answers or explanations to several questions were not too satisfactory, at least for me. One thing is already clear - you should not expect to get this system (working) for a low or even "reasonable" price.

Regards,
Lutz
Offline Gustavo Villa  
#7 Posted : 07 February 2006 17:16:01(UTC)
Gustavo Villa

Chile   
News from Bush

UserPostedImage