Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#1 Posted : 25 July 2013 04:30:21(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
For those of you who keep trains unused in their boxes. You may want to check this set. Mine would seem to be developing a fogginess on the windows. This is happening only on the side facing upwards which happens to be in contact with the two plastic sheets that are there I suppose to help you pulling the carriages out of the Styrofoam. As a preventive measure I have now taken those of and I am keeping them separately. If anyone happens to have the same issue on the same side it'll be interesting to hear. Since the problem is mild photos do not really show it well so I won't put any but it looks like if someone has touched the windows with greasy fingers.Cursing
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 25 July 2013 04:56:29(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I am a little confused. The plastic sheets both cover and are underneath the models in the cradle. You state that the damage is only on the side facing the top of the cradle.
How have you been storing the item? Are there other boxes that weigh down the top of the box? Are you living in an area with humidity or sea air that could cause some kind of reaction?
Is the fogginess on the outside? Perhaps there is a little humidity in the model? You may wish to pack a silica gel packet inside the box to absorb any humidity.

Regards

Mike C
#3 Posted : 25 July 2013 05:54:06(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
I am a little confused. The plastic sheets both cover and are underneath the models in the cradle. You state that the damage is only on the side facing the top of the cradle.

Mike C

The difference is that on the underside in between those plastic sheets and the model they put a piece of felt fabric which prevents the model from touching those plastic sheets. That fabric is not present on the top side.

The humidity would be a possibility but I think you should be able to clean them which is not the case. It is on the outside. Nothing on top and anyway the Styrofoam cover would prevent direct pressure with the exception of some precise points. Other than that nothing other than the plastic gets in contact with the model. My initial guess is that those sheets are not acid free material and are producing a chemical reaction when in contact with the windows but I don't know for sure. I thought I have seen it before but now seems more noticeable, It could be my imagination (seeming worse) but something has happened. Luckily I've got it early and now I'll keep an eye on it every now and then.

It reminds me of the problems I have seen with Styrofoam getting melted onto the train's paint ruining them. You have probably seen them, some boxes from the 80's caused that problem more than the early ones.

I will add the silica too just in case.

Thanks
Offline Goofy  
#4 Posted : 25 July 2013 06:33:05(UTC)
Goofy

Bad luck...
When a train model has been in the package in longer time...it makes grease!
Styrofoam is not good as package for the train models.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline jvuye  
#5 Posted : 25 July 2013 10:40:23(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Hi, sorry to read about this trouble.
Maybe try some cleaning although I can not offer any specific advice here: I have no experience with this type of problem..Confused
My trains will never develop this as I have a good preventive measure for it: they are either on the layout or in display shelves!!LOL
Cheers
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline petestra  
#6 Posted : 25 July 2013 14:50:42(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Same here, Jacques. Cool ThumpUp
#7 Posted : 25 July 2013 15:14:20(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Well I am not sure that will keep them in better conditionLOL I have too much in my hands right now, I put it all back and if sometime in this lifetime I get to play with it I have a polishing compound formulated specially for plastics and I may try that. Luckily is not too bad but is sufficient to drive me insane just by knowing it's there.
Offline AshleyH  
#8 Posted : 25 July 2013 16:17:35(UTC)
AshleyH

United Kingdom   
I have noticed a similar problem on a couple of my loks.
An Ae 6/6 and a Compressed air loco. In storage the plastic film seems to have attacked the paint finish on these two loks

I have a 39540 so I will check this later, I hope it is OK!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by AshleyH
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 25 July 2013 20:13:15(UTC)
H0

Hi!

Last year there was a post on Stummi's Forum about foggy windows of the BR 103 Insider Model.
Finally they blamed it on the sun. It suffered not just from foggy windows, the colours of the metal body were also bleached.

Maybe the RAe train was exposed to too much sunlight while it was on display at the dealer? Maybe a chemical reaction with the plastic foil as you guess. Maybe something completely different. I'd feel more comfortable knowing what it was.

Thread on Stummi's Forum (German):
http://www.stummiforum.d...opic.php?f=2&t=81851
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline mike c  
#10 Posted : 26 July 2013 02:50:56(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I checked my RAe and RABe models and they are all okay. I wonder whether it may have been exposed to sunlight (as Tom suggested). If the box had been displayed, then that could explain the fact that only the side facing up has the damage. You should check with Maerklin to find out whether the window panels are available as a spare part and ask your dealer whether he can recall whether your model might have been on display prior to your purchase.

Regards

Mike C
#11 Posted : 26 July 2013 03:36:23(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
I know in my case there was no exposure to the sun, neither in the shop it came from or at home. In fact my Gottardo have spent no more than an hour or so outside the box. :(

I would like to know for sure too what has caused it but at a least it is good to have this information out there so there is a chance to minimize any damage and have information in best storage practice which may not always include the original package the way it came from factory. I am still very inclined to believe in the chemical reaction with the plastic but it may not just happen on it's own. There may be a set of conditions for the reaction to happen like the correct combination of humidity and temperature.