Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline uhwerk  
#1 Posted : 31 May 2013 01:13:03(UTC)
uhwerk

I have some heavy grades on my outdoor Marklin 1 gauge layout due to the slope of my lot. Right now I have a UP F7 set, 1 powered, 1 dummy. Adding the dummy loco makes the train look nice, but it sure is heavy, and I have trouble making it up the hill with a train of any length.

I was wondering if it would be possible to couple a second powered F7 back to back with the powered A unit rather than a dummy. Would it be possible to reverse the wires going to the motors and swap the front and rear headlight wires and have it operate correctly?

Could I address both locomotives to the same Marklin digital address? Or would I want to use two addresses and two throttles to control them independently?

Thanks!
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 31 May 2013 02:18:05(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I don't think you would even need to change wiring to do this. Just run one loco forwards, and the other in reverse. When you reverse the consist, they would swap direction and I would suspect that the lights would also change. If that does not work, then by all means swap the wires connected to the motor.

If you have a Marklin CS2 or an ESU Ecos, you can create a consist within the controller, which allows you to link two locos together, without having to change their digital addresses. The consist then responds to a single throttle, for speed and reversing commands.

The other way to do this, as you suggest, is to set both locos to the same address.

The only other thing you need to do is to set the speed characteristics of the two locos as close to each other as you can get them. You don't want one loco pushing or pulling more than the other.