Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline baggio  
#1 Posted : 07 March 2013 04:11:27(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Does anyone know how you can get top speed from a loco?

I find most of Marklin locos not particularly fast.

The only exception is the ICE battery train; that IS really fast with a new set of batteries. Even the blue battery set is not so fast.

I would like to be able to run a loco (digital and analogue) fast enough so that I need to slow it down at a curve lest it derails. I am nowhere there now.

Thank you.
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 07 March 2013 07:48:49(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
Most Märklin locos are too fast.
Which locos and which controller(s) do you have?

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Janne75  
#3 Posted : 07 March 2013 07:59:02(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   

The only exception is the ICE battery train; that IS really fast with a new set of batteries. Even the blue battery set is not so fast.

I would like to be able to run a loco (digital and analogue) fast enough so that I need to slow it down at a curve lest it derails. I am nowhere there now.

Thank you.

Hello,

It depends of the decoder type if it is an digital loco. Some has adjustable potentiometer inside of the loco that you can adjust with a small screwdriver. Then the newer digital ones can be programmed to run faster by setting a higher value for top speed. What locos are these?

My fastest locos as a real prototype are the Zeppelin and E 103. They run so fast that it surely looks that they go over 250 km/h in 1:87 scale.

But if you want to do modifications (tuning) to loco motor I think that you should modify the motor (maybe rewire it) if it really has to go say 400 km/h looking in 1:87 scale. Or maybe you can change the gear ratios by changing different teeth gears to them? And then derail if not slowing speed down before turns Cool .

Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline biedmatt  
#4 Posted : 07 March 2013 21:44:21(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Funny, I bought one of these and slowed them all down to scale speed. Some are quite slower.
I find maximum speed here.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline baggio  
#5 Posted : 08 March 2013 02:18:05(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Janne75 Go to Quoted Post

Thank you.

Hello,

It depends of the decoder type if it is an digital loco. Some has adjustable potentiometer inside of the loco that you can adjust with a small screwdriver. Then the newer digital ones can be programmed to run faster by setting a higher value for top speed. What locos are these?

My fastest locos as a real prototype are the Zeppelin and E 103. They run so fast that it surely looks that they go over 250 km/h in 1:87 scale.

But if you want to do modifications (tuning) to loco motor I think that you should modify the motor (maybe rewire it) if it really has to go say 400 km/h looking in 1:87 scale. Or maybe you can change the gear ratios by changing different teeth gears to them? And then derail if not slowing speed down before turns Cool .

Janne

Thanks to all that responded.

I am not able to adjust the insides of the locos.

I have two digital locos, 36614, Marklin my world electric loco (with Marklin logo on it) 4 axles powered, and 29182, part of a starter set, yellow, one axle powered, which is actually faster than the first one (so much for the four-axle power). I also have three vintage locos, the best one is the 30000, black, using a conventional transformer, light blue (as opposed to the darker blue model). The 36614 loco is a bit faster in digital rather than analogue. Either way, none of them is fast. I always run them at top speed. Thanks.
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 08 March 2013 07:41:28(UTC)
H0

and 29182, part of a starter set, yellow, one axle powered, which is actually faster than the first one (so much for the four-axle power).
Max. speed is just a matter of gear ratio, not of powered axles.
The new crocodile with six powered axles should be a very slow crawler ...

Back in the ’70s I had two locos that fell of the track at full speed: a BR 141 (Primex) and an Italian E 424 (Märklin). The 141 now has a Delta decoder and still falls off the track (at 300+ km/h scale speed where only 120 km/h would be prototypically correct). More modern Märklin constructions come with slower gears.

According to NEM, max. speed of a model should not exceed 130% of scale speed. The yellow shunter and the 30000 obviously do not adhere to the NEM standard.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 08 March 2013 08:40:17(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Baggio,
You seem overly preoccupied with speed. Perhaps you would be happier with the old Marklin "Alpha" trains?

UserPostedImage
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline baggio  
#8 Posted : 09 March 2013 06:30:27(UTC)
baggio

Canada   

Thank you to Tom for his feedback. However, that leaves me wondering: what is Marklin trying to tell the buyer when it mentions the number of powered axles if not speed?

As for Ray, yes I am speed-conscious. If you ever run the Ice battery set as I have, you will enjoy the fun of seeing it drink up the other more expensive locos!

Is there a simple way of actually speeding up the locos? Where do I get a manual of sorts telling me how to do it?

Finally, I am considering buying a Walthers starter set, CP at that. When I do, I will report on the outcome. By that I mean, how it compares to Marklin.
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 09 March 2013 07:48:07(UTC)
H0

However, that leaves me wondering: what is Marklin trying to tell the buyer when it mentions the number of powered axles if not speed?
Tractive effort maybe?
The number of powered axles actually means nothing, as the E 17 (37061) with 2 powered axles can pull more than the BR 50.40 (37040) with 5 powered axles (and I won't be surprised if the E 17 would be stronger than the new crocodile with 2 motors and six powered axles).

With some models like the DHG 500/700, this information allows you to tell old and new construction apart. In the old days, they also gave you the number of traction tyres.

So many powered axles and many traction tyres do not always make a strong hauler (as the tractive weight resting an traction tyres or powered axles without tyres plays an important role), but at least they have some figures for the catalogue.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage