Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline reverendpen  
#1 Posted : 05 January 2013 07:16:52(UTC)
reverendpen

United States   
Sometimes when I disconnect C-track some of the plastic on the underside that is used to hold the track together cracks off. What am I doing wrong?

thanks for your help
Offline Goofy  
#2 Posted : 05 January 2013 08:09:27(UTC)
Goofy

Too many times disconnect so yours C tracks become weaker that results cracks off.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Ian555  
#3 Posted : 05 January 2013 08:34:03(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi reverendpen,

Welcome to the forum. ThumpUp

Ian.

Offline steventrain  
#4 Posted : 05 January 2013 08:42:07(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
The problem is the C-track date between 1996 and 2002 have crack and some broken off.

C-tracks date from 2002 to today have no sign of crack.

See topic https://www.marklin-user...C-tracks.aspx#post237605

Edited by user 30 November 2014 19:50:52(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
H0
Offline steventrain  
#5 Posted : 05 January 2013 08:43:41(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Also Welcome to the forum reverendpen!Smile
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 05 January 2013 10:43:01(UTC)
H0

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.
Originally Posted by: reverendpen Go to Quoted Post
What am I doing wrong?
Well, what are you doing?
As Stephen wrote: old C track will be brittle by now and will break even if you don't do anything wrong.
Newer tracks don't have this problem (new formula).

There are two documented ways of separating C track. This won't prevent old tracks from breaking.
Move them to the side or lift them to look like a V (never lift the middle to look like a ^).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Webmaster  
#7 Posted : 05 January 2013 13:08:16(UTC)
Webmaster

I have C-track that is newer than 2002, but they still break...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Western Pacific  
#8 Posted : 05 January 2013 13:17:02(UTC)
Western Pacific

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post

So do I and even when separating them according to the instructions. However, for me only less essential guiding pins on the hidden bottom side of the track have broken away.

So my conclusion is to "live with it" and use unbroken track pieces on temporary layouts and would there be problems with those with broken parts, then I'll solve them when doing my "permanent" layout, where I probably will use screws to attach the track pieces to the board (or possibly some glue), thus making guiding pins less important.
Offline jeehring  
#9 Posted : 05 January 2013 17:21:57(UTC)
jeehring

Are they from after 2005/2006 ?
There were a communication published around 2005 (could be 2006, I don't remember exactly...) from a famous German plasturgist who is the designer of the machine tools about the process....They said that the process has been modified .
It was after the second Marklin factory in Sonneberg was closed...
BTW : what is the name this well know German (worldwide) manufacturer of plastic ?.....presently I have a memory gap...(they have been acting as a subcontractor ...)...anyone to remember ?
Offline steventrain  
#10 Posted : 05 January 2013 18:24:21(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
I have photos of C-tracks have bit broken.

From left to right.

3/99, 4/99 (Bit brown) both broken and 4/02 no sign of broken.

See in red circle.

Offline RayF  
#11 Posted : 05 January 2013 19:22:56(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: jeehring Go to Quoted Post

There were a communication published around 2005 (could be 2006, I don't remember exactly...) from a famous German plasturgist who is the designer of the machine tools about the process....They said that the process has been modified .
It was after the second Marklin factory in Sonneberg was closed...
BTW : what is the name this well know German (worldwide) manufacturer of plastic ?.....presently I have a memory gap...(they have been acting as a subcontractor ...)...anyone to remember ?

BASF?
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline mike c  
#12 Posted : 05 January 2013 19:23:30(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I am not sure where the C Track was made. It might have been at Sonneberg but could also have been at the then new plant in Gyoer (HU). The production dates of the affected C Tracks were those dating from the introduction of the track as part of the Alpha line until 2002. If you bought track after 2002, you still have to check on the underside of the track to find the production code, because many dealers may still have had track from earlier productions in their inventory and continued to sell them.
I have not experienced any breakage on tracks that I know are from the more recent production. I have also found no problems with using the damaged track as long as two damaged sections are not attached to each other. It remains possible that at some point, enough of the tabs on a particular track section may break requiring the replacement of that section. Since the bankruptcy of Maerklin, the replacement on these tracks is no longer accepted, so you will likely have to pay for the replacements.

Regards

Mike C
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 05 January 2013 19:43:58(UTC)
H0

Tracks marked "Made in Germany" should not be from Raab (Győr). It seems they moved from Sonneberg to Raab in 2007.
Initially tracks had five digit codes, but the 24 was later dropped when production of Trix C track started.
Beside the month/year code, this can be used to estimate the age of a piece of C track.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline tulit  
#14 Posted : 05 January 2013 19:46:18(UTC)
tulit

Canada   
I have quite a bit of defective C-Track as well that will snap off the alignment pieces whenever taking it apart.

The worst piece Ive had was a curved turnout. When I went to try and put a motor into it, the backing plate snapped in half along with a crack 3/4 of the way across the roadbed!

I'm not sure how old it is as I bought all this bad track at a estate auction. Luckily I paid next to nothing for it so can't complain!

The track still seems fine once installed, just a bit trickier to click back together. Like others, I still intend to use it and once its glued/screwed down will probably be fine. I'm more worried about my son playing with it and getting some of the small pieces into his mouth so have started marking all the pieces I know that are brittle.
Offline obxbill  
#15 Posted : 05 January 2013 19:50:29(UTC)
obxbill

United States   
wow. I was unaware of this problem with C-track. That would surely make you not want to buy used track without a close inspection! Glad I use M-track.
Marklin HO and Z also Hornby 00 and US 2-rail
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by obxbill
Offline mike c  
#16 Posted : 05 January 2013 20:41:44(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Tom,

I seem to remember reading that the C-Track was always made in Hungary.

Regards

Mike C
Offline H0  
#17 Posted : 05 January 2013 22:41:47(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Where can we read that?
In 2007 they closed in Sonneberg (they opened their factory in Raab earlier than that).

I believe that the "Made in Germany" on early C track is no fake.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline jeehring  
#18 Posted : 06 January 2013 12:04:10(UTC)
jeehring

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Tom,

Regards

Mike C

Not really, ,... First, the C-Track was produced at the factory in Sonneberg. This Marklin plant was almost entirely dedicated to the manufacture of plastic products .
Offline jeehring  
#19 Posted : 06 January 2013 12:09:25(UTC)
jeehring

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: jeehring Go to Quoted Post

BASF?

Yes, that's the name ! Thank you Ray !
C-Track was the result of close collaboration between BASF and maerklin ...
Offline RayF  
#20 Posted : 06 January 2013 12:27:50(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: obxbill Go to Quoted Post
wow. I was unaware of this problem with C-track. That would surely make you not want to buy used track without a close inspection! Glad I use M-track.

M track is very durable, but it has its own problems.

Tracks warp and twist very easily, they splay outwards when stepped on, and the ends of the rails tend to bend upwards causing uneven running. Also the centre conductor sometimes snaps off at the point where it connects with the next track.

There is also the danger to young children due to sharp metal edges, and the propensity to rust in warm humid climates.

I had M track for many years, and about six years ago I switched to C track which transformed the quality of running on the layout. So much smoother and quieter!
Ray
Offline BrandonVA  
#21 Posted : 07 January 2013 15:30:05(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   

I had M track for many years, and about six years ago I switched to C track which transformed the quality of running on the layout. So much smoother and quieter!

I have mostly only used K track in my Marklin career, but about a year ago I bought a used starter set with some C (loop with passing siding). I think I have the defective stuff, sometimes bits breaks off the bottom (I have not checked the date code, but starter set was something like 99-00 so it probably is). It doesn't really seem to impact it's ability to stay together that much in my case, but I'm sure experiences will vary. I am really impressed with the stuff. The electrical connectivity between the pieces is great, you get very even running across it, even with minimal power feeds. In run it in analog, and it lets me get the locos crawling very slowly thanks to the power being so even. As Ray said, it's smooth!

-Brandon
Offline mattj70  
#22 Posted : 08 January 2013 04:17:10(UTC)
mattj70

United States   
I have played carpetbahn, built up some displays, rebuilt etc. I find the plastic is brittle when cold. When the house is hot or outside in Florida they don't break, during the winter here they do crack or pieces pop apart?

I have a box of C-tracks that are only used to back trains up on? storage yard or display track

Matt
Offline reverendpen  
#23 Posted : 11 January 2013 03:04:11(UTC)
reverendpen

United States   
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I am relieved that it is not just me. I know my track is older (age is relative right?).
Offline NZMarklinist  
#24 Posted : 11 January 2013 07:07:46(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi,
Welcome to the forum.
Originally Posted by: reverendpen Go to Quoted Post
What am I doing wrong?
Well, what are you doing?
As Stephen wrote: old C track will be brittle by now and will break even if you don't do anything wrong.
Newer tracks don't have this problem (new formula).

There are two documented ways of separating C track. This won't prevent old tracks from breaking.
Move them to the side or lift them to look like a V (never lift the middle to look like a ^).

The best answer ThumpUp Wink
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline Spokanesteve  
#25 Posted : 27 April 2019 16:24:20(UTC)
Spokanesteve

United States   
Hello all:

I recently started getting interested in model trains and remembered that I had an older Delta Marklin set. I got it out and started running it and had a bunch of broken bits of plastic from the C track.

At least I know it's not necessarily my fault even though I am still very sad.

Can I buy new C track and hopefully it will be OK now?

Sorry to revive an old discussion but this is very useful to me!

Cheers, Steve.

IMG_4498.JPG
Offline mike c  
#26 Posted : 27 April 2019 18:13:59(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Why did they call it C Track?

Because you will be able to C little pieces of track all over your layout or floor.

Newer productions (post 2005) are supposed to be trouble free... I would buy from a dealer to be sure.

Regards

MC
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline sjbartels  
#27 Posted : 28 April 2019 00:59:57(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Look for C track with the >ASA< stamp.

The formulation of plastic produced prior to that was brittle and had a tendency to break after simply looking at it too hard

Formulation after that, it CAN still break, just not nearly as readily. Date stamps are harder to judge by because less common pieces stayed around in the old formulation a bit longer, but the >ASA< stamp on the underside (typically opposite the track number) is the best thing you can use to judge the track and formulation
American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by sjbartels
Offline dickinsonj  
#28 Posted : 28 April 2019 01:03:50(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Spokanesteve Go to Quoted Post

Can I buy new C track and hopefully it will be OK now?

Hey Steve, I think that you definitely can

Any C track from a dealer should have been the new formulation now for years. I tossed a lot of that first brittle stuff because it fell apart exactly like yours did. So I have been adding more and more newer C track until that is all I run in mainlines and now mostly in my yards. I figure that I either had to give up on all of my beautiful trains or bite the bullet and replace it all, which is what I did. So far I have used it alot and in temporary layouts with a lot of connecting/disconnecting of track pieces and without any issues at all.

People on this forum told me that there were no problems with the new stuff and they are right - not a single broken anything for me in four years of heavy use.ThumpUp
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline xxup  
#29 Posted : 28 April 2019 02:48:08(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: obxbill Go to Quoted Post
wow. ... Glad I use M-track.

Me too! Laugh
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline PMPeter  
#30 Posted : 28 April 2019 17:32:47(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Glad I have switched out most of my C track with K track.
Offline RayF  
#31 Posted : 28 April 2019 20:09:54(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I'm still very pleased with my C-track and I have had no problems with brittle tracks apart from one turnout I bought on ebay which I have since replaced.

I would certainly not change back to M-track, as the running on C-track is far superior, and M-track has it's own problems.

I have no experience of K-track.

To someone starting out today I would very much recommend C-track. Make sure you buy new or if second hand try to ensure it comes from a recent batch.
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#32 Posted : 28 April 2019 21:00:25(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

I'm still very pleased with my C-track and I have had no problems with brittle tracks apart from one turnout I bought on ebay which I have since replaced.

I would certainly not change back to M-track, as the running on C-track is far superior, and M-track has it's own problems.

To someone starting out today I would very much recommend C-track. Make sure you buy new or if second hand try to ensure it comes from a recent batch.

I bought a starter digital set in January this year and have had about 5 pieces break. I am screwing my track down so it isn’t fatal!
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
A mystified Maerklin Newbie
Offline kiwiAlan  
#33 Posted : 28 April 2019 23:16:54(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: LongHairedDavid Go to Quoted Post

I bought a starter digital set in January this year and have had about 5 pieces break. I am screwing my track down so it isn’t fatal!

It WILL break if you try and separate the parts incorrectly. The best way i have found is to bend the track upwards at the join so the two pieces that clip into the adjacent piece of track are being moved into free air instead of trying to push the plastic track bed up which is what happens when bent the other way, which then strains those pieces and breaks them off. So fold the tops of the track bed towards each other and the clip bits then move to free air and don't break off.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline river6109  
#34 Posted : 29 April 2019 04:08:36(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I have a minimum of crumbling C-track and I just super glued the pieces together every time they broke apart, so I didn't have any problems with my C-track., except one of the lugs broke off from the rail itself and therefore there was no power getting to the track but this wasn't a problem either I just threw the track in the bin., so ll in all I'm quite happy with C-track, its an excellent product, I just don't use it and the noise level from the slider is noticeable but I just put ear muffs on and I can't hear a thing than and this keeps me warm through the winter months.
Is anybody waiting for the electrical double switches ? I've been waiting for them for ages, its like having a lottery win, which never happens or will it ever happen, wait and see, I fully agree with the Märklin innovators, we need a golden Crocodile before we need an electrically operated C-track double switch, which of these items bring in the money and satisfies the collector ? but very little is done for the modeller. another example why we're left behind., to be honest I've given up on a C-track electrical double switch and it doesn't bother me anymore.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109