Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kweekalot  
#1 Posted : 03 January 2013 19:03:42(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Hi All,

Almost 40 years ago - in 1974 - FALLER brought a big surprise for all AMS and MRR enthusiasts; FALLER had achieved a real sensation with developing the first fully operational container crane terminal, with accompanying accessories as an AMS container truck and a container freight wagon.

I found and bought an unbuilt container Kit '402' and I thought it would be fun to show her in the Faller collector's corner.

The lovely pictures in the instruction booklet instantly thrown me back in the 70s and I'm overwhelmed with nostalgic thoughts and appreciation of the way things used to be (and ought to be).

The set includes many parts, 3 motors, cords, a lot of springs.... OhMyGod
The instruction booklet trying to make believe that construction will take about 3 hours.... but I think this is only the case for an 1974 ingenious Gutenbach engineer that is used to do this job on a daily basis. I guess it will take me at least 24 hours !!

The 402 kit includes the AMS '480' Container Truck (with metal chassis).
In the set this Truck comes without a motor, so I mounted a original Faller Pancake motor with 24:1 city gearing.
The truck runs real nice and smooth with this motor. The truck can also ride backwards, therefor is not one but two slot pins mounted that keeps the Truck on track.

Furthermore the kit includes 3 containers and the '444' Container freight wagon with different couplings that fits Fleischmann, Lima, Marklin and Triang.

The outside of the box has some minimal wear (but still good), the inside and content is 100% mint.

I do hope you enjoy the photos.

Marco

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 20 August 2014 16:44:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline kweekalot  
#2 Posted : 03 January 2013 19:23:45(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
And here are a few pictures (scans) from the instruction booklet that throw you back to the 70s

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline cookee_nz  
#3 Posted : 03 January 2013 19:51:45(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: kweekalot Go to Quoted Post
Hi All,

Almost 40 years ago - in 1974 - FALLER brought a big surprise for all AMS and MRR enthusiasts; FALLER had achieved a real sensation with developing the first fully operational container crane terminal, with accompanying accessories as an AMS container truck and a container freight wagon.

I found and bought an unbuilt container Kit '402' and I thought it would be fun to show her in the Faller collector's corner.

The lovely pictures in the instruction booklet instantly thrown me back in the 70s and I'm overwhelmed with nostalgic thoughts and appreciation of the way things used to be (and ought to be).

The set includes many parts, 3 motors, cords, a lot of springs.... OhMyGod
The instruction booklet trying to make believe that construction will take about 3 hours.... but I think this is only the case for an 1974 ingenious Gutenbach engineer that is used to do this job on a daily basis. I guess it will take me at least 24 hours !!

The 402 kit includes the AMS '480' Container Truck (with metal chassis).
In the set this Truck comes without a motor, so I mounted a original Faller Pancake motor with 24:1 city gearing.
The truck runs real nice and smooth with this motor. The truck can also ride backwards, therefor is not one but two slot pins mounted that keeps the Truck on track.

Furthermore the kit includes 3 containers and the '444' Container freight wagon with different couplings that fits Fleischmann, Lima, Marklin and Triang.

The outside of the box has some minimal wear (but still good), the inside and content is 100% mint.

I do hope you enjoy the photos.

Marco

Hi Marco, it's a wonderful accessory, I have one that I purchased assembled some years ago, I got mine mainly to obtain a non-cataloged green 'Faller' container that was with it.

When I attempted to use the terminal, I found it would keep jamming, and isolated the cause to a common problem with those units, the white nylon gear in the gearbox develops a split so that every revolution, the gear jams against the other one and causes it to either stop completely, or make a very noticeable jerk before it carries on, but eventually the gear crack will widen enough to the point of failure.

I have attached an image showing a pin pointing in to one of my cracked gears - the same gear in all three gearboxes are cracked. I could possibly repair it by using a similar pair of gears from an AMS Block Motor chassis, they are very close but not identical.

There is a company I have mentioned here before that makes a set of replacement gears for this mechanism - SB Modellbau
cookee_nz attached the following image(s):
hoist-motor-gear-crack.jpg
hoist-motor-gear-cracked.jpg
SBGearKit-97075.jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline cookee_nz  
#4 Posted : 03 January 2013 20:21:49(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Oh, and one other thing to be very careful of are the long copper springs used to tension the gantry mechanism, and to carry electricity to the motors. Because these springs are so long, they are very easily damaged, usually they get stretched.

Of the four that I have, only one is almost undamaged. In their relaxed state, they are just the correct length of about 3cm between the two mounting points in their 'home' position. These springs are required to expand to over 4 times their relaxed state when the gentry or hoist mechanism is fully extended.

I simply could not find anyone in NZ (or even overseas) who had stock of springs of this nature (of course easy to have them made, if I wanted several thousand!!), but a visit to a local spring maker here yielded a coil of suitable spring wire, and helpful instructions on how to make my own in the home oven!! - I have not yet attempted this because I need an arbor around which to wind the springs to be made and keep them taut while they bake BigGrin

Now that I think about it, (you have inspired me) there is a gent in our club known for his mechanical wizardry, I shall consult him as he may be able to do exactly what I need.

Should anyone here know of any other sources for similar springs, it would be appreciated. Perhaps some other Non-Faller model uses similar ones and are still available as a spare part?

I've added some photo's showing the springs and a comparison against an AMS container truck and ruler, plus one in fully extended state on my terminal.

Obviously Marco yours are brand new so you should not have problems, but forewarned is forearmed to avoid damage and if anyone was looking to purchase a used Container Terminal, it may help you to be aware of these gear and spring problems.

Steve
cookee_nz attached the following image(s):
402-springs-3cm.jpg
402-springs.jpg
402-gantryspring-m.jpg
402-gantryspring-r.jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline kweekalot  
#5 Posted : 03 January 2013 20:44:55(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your story and sharing those pictures !ThumpUp
I'm going to watch this nasty problem and make sure that this does not happen to us.

I like your green container ! Is it original ?

I heard some stories about converting the terminal to ​digital control, this would make her movements real smooth and slow and much better than the original 1974 analog controls.
But I don't know... I think that digitize this container terminal is a kind of blasphemy.

Marco
Offline cookee_nz  
#6 Posted : 03 January 2013 22:06:38(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your story and sharing those pictures !ThumpUp
I'm going to watch this nasty problem and make sure that this does not happen to us.

I like your green container ! Is it original ?

I heard some stories about converting the terminal to ​digital control, this would make her movements real smooth and slow and much better than the original 1974 analog controls.
But I don't know... I think that digitize this container terminal is a kind of blasphemy.

Marco

Hi Marco, yes the Green container is original, there's a Red one also, just a very small image of it in one of the 70's catalogues, I have not seen that one anywhere else.

Digital?, well of course it could be done, but actually the gearing of the container is low enough that control of them is quite good anyway.

Where Digital conversion might be fun would be if you fitted feedback sensors to it so that the position of each function could be read by PC and then you could fully automate loading and unloading, now that would be cool. ThumpUp

Feedback would not be too hard using magnets and reed switches, or Infra-red LED's and interrupters.

A project for another day perhaps. Personally, I'd rather convert some Zinc-chassis LKW's first and have some fun there.

OhMyGod
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#7 Posted : 03 January 2013 22:43:58(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
.... there is a gent in our club known for his mechanical wizardry, I shall consult him as he may be able to do exactly what I need.

Should I warn Kev to start running now........OhMyGod

I used to admire these container sets in the Faller catalog when I was a kid. Brings back lots of memories. Thanks Marco.
Offline Mats P  
#8 Posted : 03 January 2013 23:00:44(UTC)
Mats P

Sweden   

Should anyone here know of any other sources for similar springs, it would be appreciated. Perhaps some other Non-Faller model uses similar ones and are still available as a spare part?

Steve

Hi Steve

One AMS-fan in the H0slot.de forum will make a second batch of these springs if he gets enough orders. The first batch was gone in December 2012.

Here is a link to the thread in the H0slot.de forum:

Container Terminal springs

(It´s all in german)

/Mats
Offline RayF  
#9 Posted : 03 January 2013 23:17:13(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Great accessory, Marco! ThumpUp

It would look great on any layout from the 1960s on. Perhaps a bit of weathering or repainting would make it a bit more realistic.

I wonder if it could be modified for use with the newer Faller Car System?
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline kweekalot  
#10 Posted : 04 January 2013 13:06:49(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Hi Mats,
Thanks for that link ! ThumpUp

The forum H0slot.de you have mentioned, is also the forum where I read / heard for the first time about a digital controlled Faller container terminal. See this L I N K

The author tells that the varying tension of the springs (and the weight of the load) is digitally "corrected" with automatic adjusting the motor, so the motor runs smoothly at the same speed whatever the load or spring tension.

Marco
Offline cookee_nz  
#11 Posted : 04 January 2013 20:10:10(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Mats P Go to Quoted Post

Steve

Hi Steve

One AMS-fan in the H0slot.de forum will make a second batch of these springs if he gets enough orders. The first batch was gone in December 2012.

Here is a link to the thread in the H0slot.de forum:

Container Terminal springs

(It´s all in german)

/Mats

Thanks Mats, I had a look at the link, it seems an older thread, and no indication of how many 'orders' he needs to get some more made, and how much they cost.

I have spoken with our genius (Kevin) at our club, I was already given some suitable gauge spring wire by a spring manufacturer here which I have passed on, Kevin has made springs before, he says the tricky part is wrapping the spring wire correctly under tension prior to heating. It would seem a Lathe is the preferred method but needs one reasonably small and with good control.

Rather than trying to hand-make several individual 3cm springs, I suggested a few long springs would be fine and then just cut them down to correct length. Forming the end loop to attach is not difficult, I've had to do that many a time in my days repairing IBM Selectric Typewriters where broken springs were not uncommon. I even have still a good selection of typewriter springs but none are close enough to the Container springs to be useful.

I also prefer not to just burst into a German discussion forum in English, not sure how they would react to that but I'd be happy to add my order for two sets of springs as a backup if it will help, (as a piggy-back order to one of our Continental friends).

PS; Marco, re the follow-up link to the Digital Control of the container, I cannot view the video, it is still saying that it is Private, even though the author said he corrected it. ??

Best

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Mats P  
#12 Posted : 04 January 2013 21:00:12(UTC)
Mats P

Sweden   

Thanks Mats, I had a look at the link, it seems an older thread, and no indication of how many 'orders' he needs to get some more made, and how much they cost.

He needs pre-orders for about 15-20 sets and each set with six springs will cost around 10 €uros before he can make a new batch.

Please keep us informed about your friends progress in making the springs. I cross my fingers for his sucess. ThumpUp

/Mats
Offline kweekalot  
#13 Posted : 05 January 2013 11:39:46(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
With me and my two sons, I expect to become a heavy user of the terminal, so I can use some spare springs.
I order one or two sets today or tomorrow.

@ Steve, If you wish I can order a set for you too.

Marco

EDIT 08/01/2013: I ordered 2 spring sets today.

Edited by user 08 January 2013 21:48:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline cookee_nz  
#14 Posted : 09 January 2013 09:26:38(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
With me and my two sons, I expect to become a heavy user of the terminal, so I can use some spare springs.
I order one or two sets today or tomorrow.

@ Steve, If you wish I can order a set for you too.

Marco

EDIT 08/01/2013: I ordered 2 spring sets today.

Thanks Marco, did you include for me also?
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline kweekalot  
#15 Posted : 09 January 2013 14:55:41(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Hi Steve,

Yes of course, but if you don't want the springs, I take both sets.

Marco
Offline cookee_nz  
#16 Posted : 09 January 2013 18:33:35(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Hi Steve,

Yes of course, but if you don't want the springs, I take both sets.

Marco

I'm happy to take two sets if you want to double the order? BigGrin - that way we both have good insurance !!

And.... knowing you Marco, are you likely to stop at just ONE Terminal??? LOL LOL LOL
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline kweekalot  
#17 Posted : 09 January 2013 22:16:13(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Hi Steve,

LOL LOL LOL

Well, then I double my order to 4 spring sets.
A mint unbuild Container Kit is pretty expensive (> € 175) , otherwise I had already bought 2