Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline plavnostruev  
#1 Posted : 15 December 2012 18:05:20(UTC)
plavnostruev

United States   
Actual email from customer:

Hello,

I received my Marklin Train set today [29200 ICE Battery Set] and am very puzzled about the age rating for this toy.

On your website, it clearly states that this toy is intended for children 3 years of age and above (see photo attached - Marklin #1).

On the front AND back of the train set I received it clearly states that this toy is intended for children 8 years of age and above (see photos attached - Marklin #2 and #3).
This is a huge age difference and since this toy was intended for our 4 year old grandson, I am quite probably going to return it.

Please let me know what happened and if you have a toy suited for a 4 year old boy

Michael
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 15 December 2012 18:23:33(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Mike,

The catalogue clearly states these are suitable from age 3+. Does it really say 8+ on the box?
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 15 December 2012 18:49:29(UTC)
H0

Hi!

It was mentioned on this forum: the age is 3+ everywhere - except USA where it is "NOT RECOMMENDED FOR CHILDREN UNDER 8 YEARS OF AGE." ("shouting" is authentic from the Märklin manual).

Those Americans who think that their 4 year old children are as smart as European kids can give the set to them.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Ian555  
#4 Posted : 15 December 2012 18:54:27(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Mike,

I bought the Set 29200 last year and the age for use on the box is 3+

Ian.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ian555
H0
Offline plavnostruev  
#5 Posted : 15 December 2012 18:57:43(UTC)
plavnostruev

United States   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Hi Mike,

The catalogue clearly states these are suitable from age 3+. Does it really say 8+ on the box?

Well, that entirely depends on your kids nationality BigGrin

German and French kinderen/enfants can go ahead and enjoy the set after the age of 3.
American and British kids apparently need to wait until they reach 8 years of age to truly appreciate the set.

UserPostedImage

Michael
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by plavnostruev
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 15 December 2012 19:01:28(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: plavnostruev Go to Quoted Post
American and British kids apparently need to wait until they reach 8 years of age to truly appreciate the set.
For British and Canadian kids it's also 3+ (according to the manual).

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 15 December 2012 19:07:44(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Mike, it's clearly a typo on the box for the English translation. Point that out to your customer and refer them to the French and German instructions.
Ray
Offline Ian555  
#8 Posted : 15 December 2012 19:18:14(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi all,

Couple of photo's of the box.

Ian.

UserPostedImage

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

UserPostedImage

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

H0
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 15 December 2012 19:57:19(UTC)
H0

Mike, it's clearly a typo on the box for the English translation.
Sorry, but it's not clear to me.
Maybe they have different boxes for Walthers (or boxes with an extra label) that reads 8 for USA and 3 for the rest of the world.

Edit: the extra label can clearly be seen on Michael's picture (but not on Ian's picture). Not a typo, but obviously a USA legal requirement.

Also see "quote" from manual below.
H0 attached the following image(s):
MyWorldIceManual.PNG
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline franciscohg  
#10 Posted : 15 December 2012 20:21:44(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Poor little US boys................
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by franciscohg
H0Mark5
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 15 December 2012 21:00:35(UTC)
H0

The product database at Walthers says it "is suitable for children ages 3 and up!"
Märklin's product database reads "A very suitable toy for children ages 3 and above."

Neither mentions that different age recommendations apply to the US.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline franciscohg  
#12 Posted : 15 December 2012 21:29:21(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
I think the set itself is meant for little boys, dont think that a 8 year old boy will be too excited about it.
Perhaps an US member could clarify us about the existance of battery operated toys regulations in the US, mostly if it exists many battery toys for children of that age, perhaps it could be about the accesibility of the batteries, in order to reduce the risk of been swallowed, many toys have the battery compartment secured by a screw, dont know if it is the case of this set....
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 15 December 2012 21:59:00(UTC)
H0

All batteries secured by screws.
Here's a video from a US dealer:

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline franciscohg  
#14 Posted : 15 December 2012 22:07:25(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
dont have the any idea then why the set cannot be used by a child under 8, looking the video it looks a great present for a little boy to me.
Offline mrmarklin  
#15 Posted : 15 December 2012 22:33:12(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
It's a well known fact that US kids are stupider than kids from other countries.Blink At least that's what all the studies say done by the Government.Crying

In addition to that US parents are safety freaks, and wouldn't want little Johnny to play with anything where there could be any risk whatsoever.Flapper

It's what it has come to here in he US and why the warning is US only.Cursing
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#16 Posted : 15 December 2012 23:42:00(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post
dont have the any idea then why the set cannot be used by a child under 8, looking the video it looks a great present for a little boy to me.

That hasn't got anything to do with it. Companies and individuals are commonly blamed and sometimes sued due to parents lack of supervision and common sense. Now you get all sort of warnings to prevent liability. The US is the most litigious society and Marklin probably wants to add extra security in that country for themselves but at the same time might limit the sales to some people.
Offline RayF  
#17 Posted : 16 December 2012 00:07:41(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Mike, it's clearly a typo on the box for the English translation.
Sorry, but it's not clear to me.
Maybe they have different boxes for Walthers (or boxes with an extra label) that reads 8 for USA and 3 for the rest of the world.

Edit: the extra label can clearly be seen on Michael's picture (but not on Ian's picture). Not a typo, but obviously a USA legal requirement.

Also see "quote" from manual below.

Sorry, my mistake. I didn't see that the US version had a sticker applied over the original label.
Ray
Offline franciscohg  
#18 Posted : 16 December 2012 00:16:31(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Originally Posted by: Iamnotthecrazyone Go to Quoted Post

That hasn't got anything to do with it. Companies and individuals are commonly blamed and sometimes sued due to parents lack of supervision and common sense. Now you get all sort of warnings to prevent liability. The US is the most litigious society and Marklin probably wants to add extra security in that country for themselves but at the same time might limit the sales to some people.

i think so, but i would like to know if there is any specific regulation about that in the US
Offline tulit  
#19 Posted : 16 December 2012 00:30:25(UTC)
tulit

Canada   
The ones sold in Canada are marked for ages 8 and up as well.
Offline seatrains  
#20 Posted : 16 December 2012 01:55:08(UTC)
seatrains

United States   
As a parent, clearly a 3 year old couldn't put the batteries in but could play with it with supervision. My son had some battery powered Brio at 4 and did just fine. I got my first track powered HO scale AC Gilbert set at 8, and Marklin at 9!BigGrin
Thom
European Train Enthusiast - Pacific Northwest Chapter
4th Division, Pacific Northwest Region, National Model Railroaders Association
#21 Posted : 16 December 2012 03:09:34(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Originally Posted by: seatrains Go to Quoted Post
As a parent, clearly a 3 year old couldn't put the batteries in but could play with it with supervision. My son had some battery powered Brio at 4 and did just fine. I got my first track powered HO scale AC Gilbert set at 8, and Marklin at 9!BigGrin

At around 4 I was putting batteries in toys and winding up my tin toys. At five I already had my first Marklin electric set. I had lots of toys with lead based paint however I wasn't licking or eating them. A lot of my friends were no different.
Offline franciscohg  
#22 Posted : 16 December 2012 03:16:18(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
and who also putted the tongue on 9V batteries? it was awesome! i also remember that i used to steal mercury from my mother ( a dentist ) to play with, i was the king among my friends with that strange liquid......perhaps thats why im so freaky now..... jaja
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
#23 Posted : 16 December 2012 03:58:47(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Oh no! I see mercury as an entirely different thing. Everytime a thermometer broke it was dealt as if it was an atomic leakeage. Re 9v batt, I've never tried to get shocks on purpose and my toys normally used 2x 1.5v C or D types. I've received plenty of shocks with much higher voltage, you are so awake and alert after that but it is certainly not an enjoyable experience for me.

I did have a few friends who enjoyed the same 9V tongue treatment.BigGrin
Offline H0  
#24 Posted : 16 December 2012 06:46:30(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: tulit Go to Quoted Post
I presume they come from Walthers.
In the West they read the French text (3), in the East they read the English text (8). Those who read both texts will be confused.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Ian555  
#25 Posted : 16 December 2012 07:52:18(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi all,

Here's the My World Set having a run round on my M track layout.

Smile

Ian.

Offline Western Pacific  
#26 Posted : 16 December 2012 09:11:03(UTC)
Western Pacific

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: tulit Go to Quoted Post
I presume they come from Walthers.
In the West they read the French text (3), in the East they read the English text (8). Those who read both texts will be confused.

Tom, I believe you got the directions a bit confused. French isn't spoken in the West of Canada nor exclusively in the East, even if the Province of Québec is in the East, but there is for instance also Newfoundland and Labrador further east.

Although, being a bit off topic, I have personal experience of the fact that French isn't spoken in the West. Many years ago I had been for a week at a mobile phone system standardization meeting in Washington DC and had a business meeting starting in Calgary on Monday morning the week after. Friday evening I was tired and on a plane from New York's La Guardia to Calgary, arriving close to midnight local time. On the plane I got a customs declaration card printed in French and filled it out in French. In the terminal the immigration or customs officer (I don't remember exactly) was embarrassed because there was nobody there who could serve me in French and he was greatly relieved when I explained that English was OK with me and I hadn't noticed that the form was in French on one side and English on the other. (There was evidently some law stating that a passenger who had filled out the form in French was entitled to service in French). BigGrin
Offline Mark5  
#27 Posted : 16 December 2012 09:37:18(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Originally Posted by: plavnostruev Go to Quoted Post
Actual email from customer:

Hello,

I received my Marklin Train set today [29200 ICE Battery Set] and am very puzzled about the age rating for this toy.

On your website, it clearly states that this toy is intended for children 3 years of age and above (see photo attached - Marklin #1).

On the front AND back of the train set I received it clearly states that this toy is intended for children 8 years of age and above (see photos attached - Marklin #2 and #3).
This is a huge age difference and since this toy was intended for our 4 year old grandson, I am quite probably going to return it.

Please let me know what happened and if you have a toy suited for a 4 year old boy

Michael

Hello all,

As an early present.... My girls got their Thalys "High-speed Belgian Train" version of the same thing today. (Saturday, Im up late.)
They all loved it and took turns with it ... my 3 year old girl and 5 year old girl were really into it and had fun experimenting with the buttons and getting the hang of it. ... after some explanation my 3 year old got it and played with it for quite some time... on a larger track than the box gives... but a layout on the floor none the less. However my 7 and 9 year old girls enjoyed it too.... I feel like I've already got my money's worth out of thing.

Sad to hear they wanted to return it for that....

Oh, we are in Canada.... and it clearly says 3+ on it.
I think any grandson would like it, kids are smarter than we think....

Peace,
- Mark
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline H0  
#28 Posted : 16 December 2012 10:38:17(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Western Pacific Go to Quoted Post
Tom, I believe you got the directions a bit confused.
Should have checked with Wikipedia before writing that. Blushing

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline nevw  
#29 Posted : 16 December 2012 10:58:24(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
and who also putted the tongue on 9V batteries? it was awesome! i also remember that i used to steal mercury from my mother ( a dentist ) to play with, i was the king among my friends with that strange liquid......perhaps thats why im so freaky now..... jaja

Very OT BUT
Try putting some mercury on to Aluminium Sheet and see what it does.

Amazing.

NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline franciscohg  
#30 Posted : 16 December 2012 14:05:25(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
oh, dont temp me nev, it is harder to get right now....
Same thing that with gold? once i was allowed to see my mother wotking with it....was amazing!
Offline mike c  
#31 Posted : 17 December 2012 04:42:16(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I think that because of the fact that Maerklin uses the same C-Tracks for these new Hobby Sets as they do for their regular product and that the various Government and other agencies (customs, consumer safety, etc) classified the set as an electric model train because of the tracks which could also be used as such (as opposed to say, Brio or Thomas).

It is also possible that batteries and other small parts can be swallowed, prompting an increase to the warnings.

I have noted that a lot of model trains now say 14+ on the European recommendation and this means that they are not intended as toys at all.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Winterblade73  
#32 Posted : 17 December 2012 06:05:58(UTC)
Winterblade73

United States   
I got my son the ICE set for Christmas last year when he was 5. Other then putting in the batteries and helping him with the track, he has a blast with it and at some shows I set it up on a table next to the Club layout and let him show other kids how to use it.

About every other kid's parent asks where he got it. (Just trying to spread the Gospel of Marklin) Cool

He is getting the freight set with all the accessories this year.
Phil from SoCal
Member of ETE SoCal since 2011
ETE SoCal Facebook Page
Société Nationale des Chemins de Fer Luxembourgeois (CFL) Era III-VI
Offline cookee_nz  
#33 Posted : 17 December 2012 08:50:56(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Now I'm really worried.

I have here, both the ICE and the Freight My World sets. Both as yet unopened. One is for my grandsons birthday next year, he will be 3. Fortunately on both my boxes they are marked for 3+.

But if I read the wording correctly, it is indeed intended for 3+, so that means Mr Grandson will have to wait until the next day, because on his birthday he is still only 3. Not until the day after is he "3+". They have not thought this out. BigGrin

But that's not all. It's been a loooooong time since I was 3, but slightly less since I was 3+.

I have put my tongue on a 9v battery. Guilty!! Tingle
I have never (to the best of my knowledge), swallowed a battery,
I (usually) tell one end of a screwdriver from the other.
I can (usually) follow instructions, except when I'm being called to help with dinner.
I am neither French, German, Canadian, American. Thank heavens for small mercies, I do however have a 50/50 input of British & Scottish.
I may have eaten lead paint as a child.
I have a mercury switch that I play with sometimes because it's cool.

So my all-important question is.......

When can I break the seal and play with the darned train set???? I'm sure a responsible grandfather ("Poppa") would give it a good test-run first to make sure it was working well. Well, wouldn't he??

LOL LOL
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline H0  
#34 Posted : 17 December 2012 09:07:21(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
Not until the day after is he "3+".
I always though it meant "3 or more", not "more than 3".
Will he have to wait one day? One hour? One minute? One year?
We should ask Märklin about it ... Wink

The 14+ warnings are the result of new EU regulations. With that warning, models may have small details and sharp edges.
Manufacturers use the warnings to be on the safe side (legally) - and like with the 8+ warning on US versions of the My World trains, parents can take responsibility and give the items to younger children.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline xxup  
#35 Posted : 17 December 2012 09:17:45(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I think the set itself is meant for little boys, dont think that a 8 year old boy will be too excited about it...

I agree! I would be insulted to get a battery powered train set at 8 years old, when "real" trainsets have a transformer/controller..

BTW.. The Australian box says from 2 years of age.. LOL
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
#36 Posted : 17 December 2012 12:13:14(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post

When can I break the seal and play with the darned train set???? I'm sure a responsible grandfather ("Poppa") would give it a good test-run first to make sure it was working well. Well, wouldn't he??

LOL LOL

Keep the set for yourself, buy your grandson an ice cream.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Iamnotthecrazyone
Offline mike187  
#37 Posted : 17 December 2012 12:47:08(UTC)
mike187

United States   
Hello:

Tom is correct. The age warning has to do with import laws on toys into the USA. This goes back to the recent Chinese scare of phthalates chemicals used in plastics and paint finishes. By just changing the recommended age allows them to skirt the costly test that must be performed to get certification as a safe toy for infant aged children. For example, the German firm SIEPER WERKE the parent company of SIKU die-cast toys and also WIKING HO scale vehicles, did not even bother with meeting the US requirements and just stopped export to the US on their Matchbox sized cars. However, Wiking cars are still imported under the category of adult hobby products. Marklin did the same thing others have done with hobby/toy products, just raise the recommended age. It's not worth Marklins' time to pay costly fees to sell a small amount of inexpensive play sets. They would need a large volume to bother with compliance in the US.

Regards, Paul
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike187
H0Mark5
Offline Yaasan  
#38 Posted : 06 June 2013 01:09:12(UTC)
Yaasan

Japan   
I found very similar toys like 29200 my world. The toy is featured to Japanese trains. The name is Remo-train.

Official shopping page:
http://www.maru-online.jp/html/newpage.html?code=3
*note: This page is written in Japanese language.

YouTube (N700 Shinkansen / bullet train):

This toy runs on HO rail. Probably, it is possible to run on C-track.
The price is about 30 euros.

Regards,
Offline hxmiesa  
#39 Posted : 07 June 2013 11:59:35(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
3 years old cant be trusted to install batteries in this train-set.

However, the "fun and play" provided by the running train and it oval of track is quite suitable for a 3-year old. -While it would probably bore an 8-year old shitless in no time.

So I think this set is definatly for a 3 year old, but parent guidance and asistence is needed to set up the first time. However, that should not be a surprise to anybody. Well, maybe to some americans... ;-)

The most hilarious thing about this, is what the "responsible" grandparent writes to plavnostruev in the first place. Next year, just give money... ROFL
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa