Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline borntman  
#1 Posted : 23 October 2012 23:49:57(UTC)
borntman

United States   
I have here a LGB 2080d steam lok that I gave some weathering and a winter look.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
One of the pictures has a qtip for scale comparisons.
Offline kbvrod  
#2 Posted : 23 October 2012 23:59:23(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,
Too much and in the wrong places.

Dr Dirt
Offline kariosls37  
#3 Posted : 24 October 2012 01:50:08(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
It's a good start, but for me the effects are a little overstated. Generally, water stains are a lot more subtle, appearing more as a light coloured haze than a solid line. Also, dust and in this case snow(although I have never seen a steam loco in winter, but from cleaning real locos I can take a decent guess) will produce more of a haze than anything on the sides.
Remember, a loco is not cold; The cylinders, boiler, air pump and smokebox are too hot to touch. The side tanks can also get warmed up due to the prescence of the hot boiler and firebox. The front of the cab is generally also pretty warm, because the boiler and all the auxilaries sit inside there. On all these surfaces I would not expect any snow.

The wheels and rods tend to move around and kick up dust, which tends to flick up onto the bottom of the tanks and footplate on tank engines. The tank engines I have worked with don't really get much dirt on the sides, only some very light streaking from overflowing water, marks near the footsteps and a general light coat of dust. In the summer conditions I have cleaned engines in the majority of dirt accumulates on the area below the footplate, which is generally a red-brown colour(brake and ballast dust) with a lot of sticky oil and dust around the cylinders (the steam that goes into the cylinders has a fine mist of thick oil mixed with it for lubrication, and the steam that comes out of the cylinders deposits the oil on whatever the steam comes in contact with)

These are some general pointers, but the best advice by far is to look at colour photos of real steam locos in the condition you are after. Photos of preserved locos can be used, as the y weather pretty much the same as when they were still "on the job"

Cheers,
Rick
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kariosls37
Offline borntman  
#4 Posted : 24 February 2013 20:50:24(UTC)
borntman

United States   
I did it over and focused on the frame area. I also got rid of the unrealistic winter look.

UserPostedImage
Offline kbvrod  
#5 Posted : 25 February 2013 01:17:34(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,
Maybe some photos of the actual frame?BigGrin

Dr D
Offline borntman  
#6 Posted : 27 February 2013 01:45:01(UTC)
borntman

United States   
Here you go...

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by borntman
Offline kbvrod  
#7 Posted : 27 February 2013 18:52:15(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,
Nice and grungy!BigGrin Now you need a set of Gaßner!

Dr D
Offline obxbill  
#8 Posted : 28 February 2013 01:51:32(UTC)
obxbill

United States   
Your weathering is pretty good actually but I must say it's a bit intense to be realistic. With the exception of industrial railroads and the ones just about to go bankrupt, Most Engine crews take great pride in their steeds and would never let them get to that state of uncleanliness. This is particularly true of the steam era. Crews mostly considered them to have a life all their own and treated them lovingly. One possible exceeption may also be during wartime in which case your look may be appropriate. But as has been said, they look how you prefer and that is cool by me! I'm just adding my 2-cents. If they were Panzers on the Eastern Front they would be perfect! BigGrin

Bill
Marklin HO and Z also Hornby 00 and US 2-rail