Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline NS1200  
#1 Posted : 18 October 2012 20:29:37(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Today i visited a Maerklin sales point in the centre of Rotterdam during my lunchbreak to see whether the new 2012/2013 catalogue arrived,the answer is no,sorry.
I noticed a pile of My World Thalys trains and did observe that these were still of the rather sober version without Thalys logo's on the drivers cabins.
Same basic version is shown in Maerklin Magazin 05/2012.

However,when searching for pixtures on internet i found some having the rather attractive Thalys logo on the sides,which makes the train a great deal more attractive to watch at.
Could this be an upgraded version?
Are the M shops trying to get rid of some old stock?

Of course,i checked the M assortment present and must say the presentation looked very attractive,a large part of the assortment is on display in well kept show cabinets.

Paul.

Edited by moderator 01 December 2012 11:40:04(UTC)  | Reason: Restored post /Webmaster

Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
Offline steventrain  
#2 Posted : 18 October 2012 20:51:18(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: NS1200 Go to Quoted Post
Today i visited a Maerklin sales point in the centre of Rotterdam during my lunchbreak to see whether the new 2012/2013 catalogue arrived,the answer is no,sorry.

Paul.

The Insider catalogue will delivery from End of October, I got reply from Marklin two weeks ago.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 18 October 2012 21:00:18(UTC)
H0

The picture with the Thalys name is in their product database, but it's not in the 2012 new items brochure. Probably showing a handmade sample.
They call this item "Belgian High Speed Train" and do not mention the name Thalys, so I presume they don't have a license.

I haven't seen pictures of the model with the name Thalys. But many dealers use the picture from the product database.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Mark5  
#4 Posted : 18 October 2012 22:11:17(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
It would be sad if it was not being shipped with the logo.
I've pre-ordered this from Mike at Westend trains for my girls, if possible, this christmas.

I want them to have something nice that they can use on the carpet without Daddy's supervision.

Any more details on the logo situation please inform.

Paul, Could it not be that the logos were to be separately applied?

- Mark

attached is the image with the logo.
Mark5 attached the following image(s):
my-world-thayls2.jpg
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline NS1200  
#5 Posted : 19 October 2012 07:25:35(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
The name Thalys does not ring a bell with most people i guess,must be the reason for M to call it a Belgian High Speed Train to keep it simple.
Thalys trains are in fact run by the French/Belgian/German railways.

We currently have a high speed train called Fyra in Holland,nice name,but does the general public wants to know?

Logo's: i do not think these will be supplied seperately for a toy train like this one.

Paul.
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 19 October 2012 08:18:04(UTC)
H0

The name Thalys does not ring a bell with most people i guess,must be the reason for M to call it a Belgian High Speed Train to keep it simple.
They didn't call their Orient Express "Orient Express" coz they didn't have a license. I presume it's the same here.
I have a small green shunter - FRET colours, but no FRET name. Same issue, I presume.

The #37791 is called "THALYS PBKA" - and it comes with logo. They do use the name - if they have the right to do so.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Dimi194  
#7 Posted : 19 October 2012 08:35:48(UTC)
Dimi194

Australia   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
The picture with the Thalys name is in their product database, but it's not in the 2012 new items brochure. Probably showing a handmade sample.
They call this item "Belgian High Speed Train" and do not mention the name Thalys, so I presume they don't have a license.

I haven't seen pictures of the model with the name Thalys. But many dealers use the picture from the product database.

Most of the My World sets are just 'High Speed Train' with a country thrown on the front.
Also interesting to note that the Battery dieselok has no paint on the front of the model, contrary to the catalogue! Confused
Author of the gritty sci-fi novel 'Stories of Earth: WWIII' (featuring an awesome train chase)
Avid YouTuber (XtremeTrainz and TrainzXtreme) and train person!
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 19 October 2012 09:11:53(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Dimi194 Go to Quoted Post
Also interesting to note that the Battery dieselok has no paint on the front of the model, contrary to the catalogue! Confused
The DB logo at the sides is also missing. The train visible on Märklin TV episode 54 has logos at the front and at the sides.

Another sad example of "What you get is not what you see in the catalogue".
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Mark5  
#9 Posted : 19 October 2012 20:38:38(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
I remember reading somewhere that it was possible to make your own decals.

Perhaps we could organize this and distribute them to those interested who have the set.
We could not do this for sale though, because of the copyright, but rather for "club" use.

Anyone know how?

- Mark
Offline NS1200  
#10 Posted : 20 October 2012 10:09:07(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Mark,

Let us just wait for the upgraded version to appear on the market,saves us a lot of effort.

Paul.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline jeehring  
#11 Posted : 21 October 2012 18:12:35(UTC)
jeehring

Well....I can just tell you what's happenned with "My World" SNCF TGV... I forgot to ask about the Thalys but, I think that there is a link with the "TGV" model...

About the TGV, yes it's a matter of license, brandname, and image rights.
This has not escaped the perspicacity of all: initially all the high speed train models from the range "My World" were stylized representations of an "ICE "
AS Marklin applied for an authorization to use the "TGV" Logotype , the owner of the rights said yes, but.....not on the noze of an ICE . So, Marklin had to remake a different front end : stylized representation of the TGV, with a sharper noze + slightly different look...(not accurate, but something that can make people think of the TGV train instead of an Ice....)
That's why the production of the TGV model was delayed...
.....and I think that it is the same with Thalys : as TGV & Thalys have the same noze . If they have the choice Thalys Cie probably prefers the noze of a TGV...
For collectors, players and children, and all modelers , it's a nice affair : : they could get two different models....Wink Laugh
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jeehring
Offline Mark5  
#12 Posted : 30 November 2012 23:45:39(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Originally Posted by: jeehring Go to Quoted Post
Well....I can just tell you what's happenned with "My World" SNCF TGV... I forgot to ask about the Thalys but, I think that there is a link with the "TGV" model...
About the TGV, yes it's a matter of license, brandname, and image rights.
This has not escaped the perspicacity of all: initially all the high speed train models from the range "My World" were stylized representations of an "ICE "
[...text...].
.....and I think that it is the same with Thalys : as TGV & Thalys have the same noze . If they have the choice Thalys Cie probably prefers the noze of a TGV...
For collectors, players and children, and all modelers , it's a nice affair : : they could get two different models....Wink Laugh

Thanks for the comment Jeehring.
I am wondering if Thayls might not want to have given copyright permission after the complaints with the big boys verision of the Thalys, were bogies were falling out, etc. Any chance of that?

Well gentlemen,
Our pre-ordered "My World" Belgian Red Train—not yet converted to Thalys—did arrive.

Now I want to find a way to make some decals for it.
It should not be too difficult to make some simple decals that match the "My World" styling of the model.
Does anyone know a service that would be willing to do this for personal use?

I also noticed that the C-track in this set is darker than my C-track.
Did mine fade in colour, or do various lots come in different colour?

Any help on the decal issue would be welcome.

I also posted the photo of the explanation of track seperation and connection.
Since I had some rather brittle connectors that snapped when I tried to pull side-ways, I was wondering how helpful this bit of photo instruction really is.
Does anyone separate their C-track "sideways" as a rule, especially after having had some corners broken? I guess that is OT, and worth another post.

Posting the photos below:
- Mark

Edited by user 01 December 2012 17:58:45(UTC)  | Reason: Clarification on question of separating C-track sideways...

Mark5 attached the following image(s):
IMG_5974 copy.jpg
IMG_5975 copy.jpg
IMG_5976 copy.jpg
IMG_5977 copy.jpg
IMG_5978 copy.jpg
IMG_5972 copy.jpg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline hgk  
#13 Posted : 01 December 2012 06:02:09(UTC)
hgk

Micromark sells decal paper for laser or inkjet printers. You may need some
photoediting software to cut, paste, and clean up the image.
I've only used it for text created with Word so maybe someone who has
used it more extensively can comment. I used the inkjet decal paper which needs
a light fixative spray to waterproof it.

Note that white is not a color available in the ink or toner choices
(for most all printers) which is why they list a clear or white version of the paper. The
white version allows any non print areas to be white which includes all the area around your
design so not very practical for model rr decals unless you have a very sharp knife along with
an even sharper pair of eyes to cut out the design without catching any background.

-George

Here's a link:
https://www.micromark.co...0&searchPhrase=decal
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hgk
Offline Ian555  
#14 Posted : 01 December 2012 08:47:44(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Mark,

Nice Set. ThumpUp

Ian.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ian555
Offline NS1200  
#15 Posted : 01 December 2012 09:32:26(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Mark,

The C track is not that indistructable as Maerklin claims it is.
I have the same experience with snapping of track connectors,little bits of plastic flying everyware.
I would recommend to prevent disconnecting C track as much as possible.
Straight track is fairly cheap but switches are costing more money and i had some snapping with them as well.

Here a clip of the latest version of the Thalys,taken at Cologne central station.
The shape of the front units come close to the shape of the DB ICE trains,hence Maerklin decided to use the ICE nose for Thalys also in the My World program.
The Thalys logo's can be clearly seen,upon closer look it is a female figure of some sort:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SspTbdbG65Y

Paul.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline H0  
#16 Posted : 01 December 2012 10:00:28(UTC)
H0

Hi!
I have the same experience with snapping of track connectors,little bits of plastic flying everyware.
When were the tracks made?
It's a known problem with tracks made 2001 and earlier (production month is indicated in the track bed).

I had no problems with newer tracks disconnected properly.
My tracks have been used for about 60 club meetings - and only one track connector broke of (presumably because of bending the tracks upwards, not downwards to disconnect them).

Surely C track is not indestructible, but it's a very good choice for floor layouts. And children can learn how to disconnect them properly.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline H0  
#17 Posted : 01 December 2012 10:07:12(UTC)
H0

Hi, Mark!
Originally Posted by: MM-MarkMontreal Go to Quoted Post
Did mine fade in colour, or do various lots come in different colour?
The colour does vary.
They changed the formula of the plastics used at least once (I don't know if this had an effect on the colour).

At the bottom of the track you should find the production year and month (tracks without production month are very old). In the beginning they were marked "24xxx" and "Made in Germany".
Then IIRC the "Made in Germany" got lost. Then the "24" got lost and only the "xxx" remained.
Tracks made 2001 and earlier are known to be brittle - small pieces will break off when you disconnect them (even when disconnected properly).
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Mark5  
#18 Posted : 01 December 2012 18:26:10(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Thanks so much for the tip on the decals George.
So the paper would work great for the lettering and numbers on the side.
I could print out Thalys with the correct font and spacing.... but the logo on the nose of the women's head, does not seem possible by decal unless there is another service I encounter.

Any other suggestions out there, gentlemen?

Thanks for the comments Ian, Paul and Tom!

Very nice video of the Thalys in Köln, Paul, thanks for sharing!

Tom, I will check the dates. I did notice some tracks were the 24xxx and some without the 24.
Sad that these are brittle, since I wanted to have the girls to use them. I guess buying second-hand seems always to have a catch.

I will try to teach them to separate with only the lifting upward method, or not give them the older track for the time being.
The "alpha track" didn't have any problems with breakage.

Love live the Mädchen-Carpet-Eisenbahn!

- Mark
Offline hgk  
#19 Posted : 01 December 2012 21:49:35(UTC)
hgk

Originally Posted by: MM-MarkMontreal Go to Quoted Post
Thanks so much for the tip on the decals George.
So the paper would work great for the lettering and numbers on the side.
I could print out Thalys with the correct font and spacing.... but the logo on the nose of the women's head, does not seem possible by decal unless there is another service I encounter.

Any other suggestions out there, gentlemen?

- Mark

Mark,
If your not at all familiar with photo or illustrator programs this may not make any sense to you
but here it is anyway.
What could likely work in a case where absolute matching may not be necessary, is to
Google 'thalys logo' and copy the largest one you can find into a paint type program, reverse the colors, resize it
to your requirements, and print out a rectangle shape decal to use. You'll probably want to experiment first
with printing the image on plain paper to get the background color and size close to the model's.

Or you could google 'custom model decals' and follow up on some of those leads.
-George
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hgk