Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Maurice  
#1 Posted : 18 August 2012 08:48:29(UTC)
Maurice

New Zealand   
Not being familiar with 2 rail as used in Z scale can someone please advise me on how to use the 8588 track to;
a, isolate a stub line
b, to isolate a trackside layby which has left and right points joining it to the main track

The 8588 track has one rail with a cut through it but am not sure how to wire it up (red/brown).
Do I need to use plastic isolaters where the rail blocks join?

Thank you, Maurice.

Edited by user 18 August 2012 21:32:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Nightowl4933  
#2 Posted : 18 August 2012 22:34:47(UTC)
Nightowl4933

United Kingdom   
Hi Maurice,

The 8588 is an isolator, but if you want to use it for a siding of a main line, you'll need two of them - and make sure the cut is on othe same side. I prefer to use the plastic isolators because they're less obvious. It would be better to use a 8588 and then a plastic isolator at the other end.

I use the 8588 in a siding and use a switch box to make or break the connection, effectiviely isolating the section to allow me to 'park' a locomotive whilst the rest of the track remains 'live' for shunting, etc.

You could do the same on a siding, but you would only need to connect one of the 8588s to the switch box, because when the connection is made power is provided to the track and the second isolator is spurious. It's only relevant when the connection is open.

What colour cable you'd use would depend on what side the break is on, although I think protocol is that the brown is isolated. It doesn't really matter and, to be honest, I use different color cable to differentiate it from the rest - especially as I have loads of cables underneath! Mine are green and connected to a 72730 - the newer version is the 70739.

Hope this helps,

Pete
Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun every year.
Z Scale is great - where's me glasses?
Offline Maurice  
#3 Posted : 19 August 2012 20:11:23(UTC)
Maurice

New Zealand   
Many thanks Pete,
Will try out your suggestions.
Maurice.