Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline HRSHistorian  
#1 Posted : 03 July 2012 10:54:54(UTC)
HRSHistorian

United States   
Gentlemen,

As my knowledge level regarding Marklin grows so does my level of confusion. Getting a bit "singed" on eBay didn't hurt to much either. It was pointed out that the Maxi line was more a "toy" train than scale model and having been a Lionel collector for many years years ago I'm fine with that. I find the Maxi products enjoyable and of excellent quality. Since we want a collection vice an accumulation is there a data base somewhere of the Maxi products? I've gone through a number of on line catalogs and Marklin database's but can't alwatys determine if the product is a Maxi or not. While we intend to concentrate on Maxi Bavarian related items we're not about to pass up on other Marklin Bavarian items if the price is right. (I hope to pick up the "Royal Bavarian Court Train" I saw last year later this year when we return to Germany to visit my girlfriends parents). In any case we will continue to research through the web and try to build a Bavarian railroad in Hawaii.

Jeff Livingston
Offline NS1200  
#2 Posted : 07 July 2012 10:24:05(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: HRSHistorian Go to Quoted Post
Gentlemen,

As my knowledge level regarding Marklin grows so does my level of confusion. Getting a bit "singed" on eBay didn't hurt to much either. It was pointed out that the Maxi line was more a "toy" train than scale model and having been a Lionel collector for many years years ago I'm fine with that. I find the Maxi products enjoyable and of excellent quality. Since we want a collection vice an accumulation is there a data base somewhere of the Maxi products? I've gone through a number of on line catalogs and Marklin database's but can't alwatys determine if the product is a Maxi or not. While we intend to concentrate on Maxi Bavarian related items we're not about to pass up on other Marklin Bavarian items if the price is right. (I hope to pick up the "Royal Bavarian Court Train" I saw last year later this year when we return to Germany to visit my girlfriends parents). In any case we will continue to research through the web and try to build a Bavarian railroad in Hawaii.

Jeff Livingston

Greetings Jeff,

Me being a Maerklin H0 addict myself,i have looked at Maerklin Maxi models more than once,they hold a special "tinplate" charm of their own.
Maxi is having the same scale format as the more detailed Spur 1 Maerklin items,they can run on the same track.
Maxi is basically made of folded tinplate whereas Spur 1 can have a lot of plastic parts.
I hold a number of old catalogues and brochures issued by Maerklin and would be most happy to assist in finding the items you are looking for.
In the Maxi range Maerklin issued a BR18 steamloco in black as well as in blue livery,i would love to own these two one day,just for static display.
On the other hand,the BR01 steamloco issued in the Spur 1 range is magnificant also,tough choises!

I will try and find some Bavarian Spur 1 items for you,okay?

Cheers,
Paul.
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
Offline NS1200  
#3 Posted : 07 July 2012 13:49:29(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Jeff,

Check out Maerklin 54107,a nice Bavarian steamloco with two coaches.
Also Maerklin 54201/54711/54851,small Bavarian electric loco with some coaches.

And,on top of the bill if you ask me: Maerklin 54562,the blue Bavarian version of the famous Bavarian S3/6 steamloco,later the DB Br18 series,wow what a beauty she is!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk4yVjARYEY

And,in green livery:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1FKS-mEWck

The 3673 was repainted several times.

Paul.
Offline Purellum  
#4 Posted : 08 July 2012 10:37:22(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I have the 54104, which i find really nice BigGrin

An old story showing pictures of that set can be found here: https://www.marklin-user...MAXI-bed-time-story.aspx

Generally; but not without exceptions;

Maxi is numbered 54xxx

Older Marklin "not maxi" 1-gauge locomotives is numbered 57xx, these are usually analog, and not as nice detailed as never locs.

Never Marklin locomotives are numbered 55xx or 55xxx; these are IMHO the most beautiful and detailed.

I hope this helps a little.

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline NS1200  
#5 Posted : 08 July 2012 13:00:00(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Nice old Maerklin advertisement for Maxi:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKJ-GVHIUgc

Must add that the Maxi range was introduced in 1994 and was discontinued in 2004,with the exception of a circuscar produced in 2005/2006.
This means any searchparty for Maxi trainsets and/or locomotives can be limited to the years 1994 to 2004.
I have all the catalogues for those years,except 1994 and 1995.
I understand you want Bavarian items only,so i will limit my search to that.

Cheers,
Paul.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline NS1200  
#6 Posted : 08 July 2012 20:08:36(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Jeff,

Check items on the following shortlist:

54107 Bavarian "Glaskasten" with 2 coaches,nice!
54562 Bavarian S3/6 steamloco in blue,very very nice!!!!
54104 Bavarian Donauwuerth 2-axle steamloco with 2 coaches.
54102 Bavarian E69 2-axle electric loco with 2 coaches,in green.
54201 Bavarian E69 electric loco in blue and white,coaches 54711 and 54851 luggage.
5452 Bavarian 2-axle steamloco Aloisius.
54523 Bavarian 3-axle steamloco Ludwig.
5471 Bavarian coach.
54563 Bavarian S3/6 steamloco in Rheingold colors.

If you ask me,i would opt for the 54562 S3/6 first,she is a stunner!

A very good source for Maerklin stuff is www.Ebay.de,look in the catagory Modellbau,type in the Maerklin productnumber and most likely someone in Germany is prepared to sell it to you.
Mind you,there is currently a 54562 for sale for Euro 799.- plus postage.

Cheers,
Paul.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline Loadmaster  
#7 Posted : 08 July 2012 20:15:04(UTC)
Loadmaster

United States   
What is the difference between the MAXI and Guage 1 & LGB?
HOac and Z scale running SBB/BLS Era IV-V
Offline NS1200  
#8 Posted : 08 July 2012 20:35:49(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: Loadmaster Go to Quoted Post
What is the difference between the MAXI and Guage 1 & LGB?

Maxi and Spur 1 have scale 1:32,tracks 45 mm apart.
The trains appear to be in proportion with the track,imitating regular day to day mainline railwaytraffic.

LGB (taken over by Maerklin) imitates a narrow gauge railwaysystem.
The scale is IIm or 1:22.5,tracks 45 mm apart.
The trains clearly show a narrow gauge image.

Recently,LGB have been offering modern trains in G scale,1:26 to 1:29,tracks 45 mm apart.
Because of the larger scale,normal gauge trains look more natural on the 45 mm track.

Paul.
Offline Loadmaster  
#9 Posted : 09 July 2012 01:25:38(UTC)
Loadmaster

United States   
Pasul,

I read somewhere that LGB will be offering the RhB "Allegro" in the future.

No, I don't have any large scale trains, just Z & HO with a few N from 30 years ago (Arnold Rapido).

My wife likes N scale better than Z scale.

Rob
HOac and Z scale running SBB/BLS Era IV-V
Offline Jeremy Palmer  
#10 Posted : 09 July 2012 01:33:24(UTC)
Jeremy Palmer

Barbados   
Hi Guys,

No idea why, but a couple of years ago, I got the NYC "Big Krok". I figure it will look good in a display setting. Like Paul I also like the Maxi Rheingold steamer.

Jeremy.

Edit. ps. Paul - Thanks for the best explanation I have ever had of the scale/gauge thingy.j.
Jeremy.

1). If at first you don't succeed, bungee jumping mightn't be for you.
2). The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second rat that gets the cheese.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jeremy Palmer
Offline NS1200  
#11 Posted : 09 July 2012 07:01:34(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: Loadmaster Go to Quoted Post
Pasul,

I read somewhere that LGB will be offering the RhB "Allegro" in the future.

No, I don't have any large scale trains, just Z & HO with a few N from 30 years ago (Arnold Rapido).

My wife likes N scale better than Z scale.

Rob

Please see www.lgb.com .
20220 Allegra Euro 1,499.95
20225 Allegra Euro 1,899.95 .

LGB indicates when a model is narrow gauge (Schmall Spur) or regular track (Normal Spur).
For example,they sell a very nice V200 with coaches for 45 wide track.
Obviously,a loco like the V200 never ran on narrow gauge track in real life,so LGB calls this Normal Spur,the width of the 45 mm track is in proportion with the size of the loco.

Nevertheless,i would stick to the Maerklin Spur 1/Maxi format,a matter of personal taste i guess.
The BR01 in Spur 1 is simply magnificant.

Cheers,
Paul.

Offline NS1200  
#12 Posted : 09 July 2012 20:17:24(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Without wishing to confuse the scale issue further,it should be noted that Maerklin once had their own narrow gauge productline called "Minex".
The scale was 1:45 and trains were designed to run on the H0 metal track.
Minex was only sold between 1969 and 1972,apparently there was not a great demand from the market.
Please see the book "Mythos Modelleisenbahn" pages 202/203,Hatje Cantz Verlag,ISBN 3-7757-9183-3.
Offline NS1200  
#13 Posted : 09 July 2012 20:46:44(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Some pixs to inspire you.
I would not call Maxi a toytrain,i would rather call it a superb collectors item,a true token of Maerklin professional craftmenship.
I would never let children play with such a magnificant item such as the blue S3/6,for example.
The BR01 comes from the Spur 1 assortment,the others are Maxi tinplate,and a picture of the Minex trains from the book.

Cheers,
Paul.

Edited by user 10 July 2012 06:26:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

NS1200 attached the following image(s):
IMG_2420.jpg
IMG_2422.jpg
IMG_2423.jpg
IMG_2424.jpg
IMG_2425.jpg
IMG_2426.jpg
IMG_2420.jpg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline HRSHistorian  
#14 Posted : 20 July 2012 09:14:39(UTC)
HRSHistorian

United States   
Paul,

Forgive me for the very slow response to your excellect and much appreciated information regarding Bavarian Maxi models. Looks like I'm in for some real fun searching for some of these. I've been able to pick up a few pieces here and there but the S3/6 has become a "must have". We rode behind one last year, beautiful locomotive! Now to study and digest all the information you've provided. You've been a great help.

Jeff Livingston
Offline NS1200  
#15 Posted : 20 July 2012 21:07:52(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: HRSHistorian Go to Quoted Post
Paul,

Forgive me for the very slow response to your excellect and much appreciated information regarding Bavarian Maxi models. Looks like I'm in for some real fun searching for some of these. I've been able to pick up a few pieces here and there but the S3/6 has become a "must have". We rode behind one last year, beautiful locomotive! Now to study and digest all the information you've provided. You've been a great help.

Jeff Livingston

Jeff,

My pleasure!
I fear i have fallen in love with the "Prussian Blue" S3/6 myself and sooner or later i will need to own it.
The S3/6 is probably the most famous German steamloco,she also pulled the Rhinegold express trains from Hoek van Holland in The Netherlands to Basle in Switzerland before WW2.
After WW2,German federal railways renamed her into the series BR18.
The S3/6 was a Bavarian design going back to 1918.

Here a clip which i also posted in the topic "Prototype" of this forum,the blue S3/6 is to be seen at the 3:00 mark.
The loco was painted blue to celebrate the sponsorship by Maerklin,the loco wears the Maerklin style logo's to show that.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzb7iwjOkBg

Cheers,
Paul.
Offline HRSHistorian  
#16 Posted : 21 July 2012 03:21:06(UTC)
HRSHistorian

United States   
Marvelous video Paul. I'm suprised though how few people seem to be there. S3/6 3673 is the locomotive we rode behind last year at Nordlingen. Stunning locomotive in green. The blue is nice but the green is impressive. I'm taking your list and a few other items I've found and attempting to put together photos and numbers of the Bavarian Maxi equipment. Passenger cars seem to be a problem. The four window sheet metal cars included in sets 54104, 54102 and 54201 I'm told are "Barvarian" styled and the higher end plastic cars in the 54107 "Glaskasten" set are "Wurttemberg". Pricing is another issue I'm working on. When I started collection Lionel many, many years ago I got burnned more than once because I didn't know the value of particular items. The internet is very helpful in solving this problem but prices seem to be highter in the US market. We're planning a return trip to Germany this fall and hopefully I can locate some of these items I'm interested in adding to the collection.

Many thanks again for your help,

Jeff Livingston
Offline NS1200  
#17 Posted : 22 July 2012 08:39:50(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Jeff,

According to the Marklin documentation the coaches in the 54107 set are Bavarian style,so is the Glaskasten ("Glassbox") in the set.
The coaches in this set are indeed made of plastic.
See following link:

www.modellbahnwelt.de/sp...it-dem-glaskasten-ptl-22

Note that most Marklin shops will not sell Maxi anymore because as i said Marklin stopped producing it in 2004.
Best chance is to check Ebay.de,contact the sellers,and try to pick up purchased items when you are in Germany.

Cheers,
Paul.
Offline NS1200  
#18 Posted : 22 July 2012 11:12:10(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Jeff,

Herewith some pixs from Maerklin catalogue 2003/2004 (in Dutch),the Bavarian set 54107.
The coaches show the Bavarian white/blue insignia.
NS1200 attached the following image(s):
IMG_2418.jpg
IMG_2428.jpg
IMG_2429.jpg
IMG_2430.jpg
Offline NS1200  
#19 Posted : 22 July 2012 17:12:33(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Jeff,

Sorry to trouble you once more but there is an important issue you need to remember when you buy a Marklin train in Europe: the power source!
Marklin trains in Europe take 220/230 volts AC (Alternating Current) via a transformer,the wall socket output is 230 volts AC.
If you have 110 volts AC at home at best the train runs half speed!
Please keep in mind,unless you want the train for static display only.

Cheers,
Paul.
Offline HRSHistorian  
#20 Posted : 22 July 2012 18:19:42(UTC)
HRSHistorian

United States   
Paul,

If anything I'm troubling you. If it wern't for the willingness of gentlemen like yourself, Markus Schild and others to share your knowledge I'd be completely lost. I started this Maxi project so my girlfriend would have something of her own to run at our monthly garden railway get togethers. I research and model the Oahu Railway and Land Company and military railways that were here on Oahu and serve as Historian at the Hawaiian Railway Society, www.hawaiianrailway.com. In truth, I've become fastrnated with the Bavarian branch lines and the Marklin Maxi product line myself and it's getting hard to tell if I'm buying stuff for my girlfriend or myself. I've started checking Ebay.de and have a much better feel for pricing now. Set prices, such as the 54102 and 54104, seem about the same as those in the U.S. but individual item prices are much better in Germany. Selection is also much larger. Power is not a problem as I've been changing the circuit boards to run on straight DC like my other models. Eventually I'll get the Marklin system to use at home but will have to change boards to run at friends layouts. Thanks again for your help and the great catalog photos, they are much better than those I can capture from the web.

Jeff Livingston

Offline NS1200  
#21 Posted : 22 July 2012 20:14:21(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Jeff,

Again,my pleasure.
About DC versus AC:Maerklin have been very smart,most Maxi models can run on either AC or DC.
The Bavarian set above has an additional printcard for DC operation you can easily exchange,says the brochure.
I envy you for having a spouse who likes trains so much,you are a very lucky man.
You are a very lucky man anyway by living at Hawaii,sounds like paradise to us in rainy Holland.

Jeff,i must warn you not to explore the Marklin 1 gauge assortment (which can run in the garden at dry weather) because that assortment has some "must have" items also.
The Swiss crocodile in version green and version brown is such a "must have",and the BR01 classic German steamloco of course.

In case of any further questions,just let me know.

Paul Stolk.