Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline uschoppershop  
#1 Posted : 07 June 2012 20:44:20(UTC)
uschoppershop

United States   
Hi all! I'm new here, but have been enjoying my old Markin starter kit w/ my son and it was time to step it up a bit. I bought more track and an older CS1 from Ebay.

Upon first boot- the screen was shifted half way to the right. I tried to access the menu and then I believe it went all the way to the right. Now it is just a blank amber screen.

The boot sequence seems to happen correct- light up, stop button lights, goes dim, then lights up amber with the green "go" button...... just nothing visible but a bright amber screen.

Can you guys help me to reset this without access to the touch screen?

Can I connect it to the computer and reset, or is there a default reset available on the CS1 without using the touch screen?

Thanks very much for any help on this!

Sincerely,
Rick and son

Offline Webmaster  
#2 Posted : 07 June 2012 22:04:33(UTC)
Webmaster

The only way I know of is what is described in the manual, ie via the touch screen.

Could it be a faulty unit? Did the seller claim it worked?

Can anyone help?
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Online H0  
#3 Posted : 07 June 2012 22:08:43(UTC)
H0

Hi, Rick!
Originally Posted by: uschoppershop Go to Quoted Post
Can I connect it to the computer and reset, or is there a default reset available on the CS1 without using the touch screen?
You can connect it to a computer (provided it has software version 2.0.3 or higher), watch the contents of the display, and initiate a reset.

To do this, you have to know the IP address of the CS1.
Do you have a home network with a DHCP server (many DSL routers also serve as DHCP servers)? If the CS1 is configured for DHCP, then you will see it's IP address on the DHCP server.
Otherwise it could be difficult to find the IP address of the CS1.

Make all LAN connections before you apply power to the CS1.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline witzlerh  
#4 Posted : 07 June 2012 22:35:25(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Unfortunatly my CS1 manual is packed away as I am building my next train room as part of my basement.Blink

I believe that there may be a button sequence at start-up that may allow you to re-calibrate the touch screen...Confused

Hopefully, someone else has a solution.Cool
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
Offline uschoppershop  
#5 Posted : 08 June 2012 00:31:01(UTC)
uschoppershop

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi, Rick!
You can connect it to a computer (provided it has software version 2.0.3 or higher), watch the contents of the display, and initiate a reset.

To do this, you have to know the IP address of the CS1.
Do you have a home network with a DHCP server (many DSL routers also serve as DHCP servers)? If the CS1 is configured for DHCP, then you will see it's IP address on the DHCP server.
Otherwise it could be difficult to find the IP address of the CS1.

Make all LAN connections before you apply power to the CS1.

Hi and thank you everyone- what a great forum!

Well, I plugged into my DHCP and got an IP of 169.254.8.14 and Mask of 255.255.0.0 it says the IP is "self assigned and cannot connect to the internet".

Forgive me if I'm a little green! How would I then get access to the CS1 screen from the computer?

Thanks again everyone- I'm really hoping I can get this fixed. It would have been great if Marklin made a provision for a button sequence in these events! Blink

Best,
Rick

Offline Dave Banks  
#6 Posted : 08 June 2012 01:26:25(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Rick, did you happen to have batteries in this CS1 & if you did, did you forget about them & let them corrode? If that is the case the acid has eaten the tracks & that is very hard to repair. Same thing happened to me & screen only showed orange/black screen. The other scenario is hopefully what could have happened is the locking tabs have somehow loosened that hold the ribbon cable in place & the cable may have come loose & creating a bad contact that may give you a half screen version. There are two halves to the screen & each side has a a ribbon cable. Let us all know how you go with your software update & if it does anything to save the day.

D.A.Banks
Offline Dave Banks  
#7 Posted : 08 June 2012 01:35:09(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
UserPostedImage

D.A.Banks
Offline Dave Banks  
#8 Posted : 08 June 2012 01:39:34(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
UserPostedImage

Note the acid corrosion & its proximity to the Ribbon cable connector tracks
D.A.Banks
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Dave Banks
Offline Dave Banks  
#9 Posted : 08 June 2012 01:59:21(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
UserPostedImage

This is the flip side of the board. Corrosion also very evident.
D.A.Banks
Offline uschoppershop  
#10 Posted : 08 June 2012 03:54:12(UTC)
uschoppershop

United States   
Originally Posted by: DaveB Go to Quoted Post
Rick, did you happen to have batteries in this CS1 & if you did, did you forget about them & let them corrode? If that is the case the acid has eaten the tracks & that is very hard to repair. Same thing happened to me & screen only showed orange/black screen. The other scenario is hopefully what could have happened is the locking tabs have somehow loosened that hold the ribbon cable in place & the cable may have come loose & creating a bad contact that may give you a half screen version. There are two halves to the screen & each side has a a ribbon cable. Let us all know how you go with your software update & if it does anything to save the day.

Oh boy- I looked at the terminals and they are corroded... I might pull the back off and look to see what I find. Will post pictures of my findings.... I hope this isn't what happened! You would think they would insulate the circuits a bit better for such expensive units!

Thanks for the great heads up!

Will post back findings...

Best,
Rick
Offline Dave Banks  
#11 Posted : 08 June 2012 12:48:44(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Rick, open carefully with correct socket or you will pull your hair out trying to get it loose. Unlock the tabs to release the ribbon cable. Do this very carefully as you can tear the ribbon cable very easily. The rest is not difficult. Just do it slowly & don't bend or force to separate. It all comes loose easily after a bit of investigating. Screen will be good but main board will be the issue if the acid has gotten to it. I recommend to all with this type of unit & Ecos never to use batteries but just shut it down manually every time & you will never be faced with this issue. It is all to easy to forget about the alkaline batteries.Crying
D.A.Banks
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Dave Banks
Offline uschoppershop  
#12 Posted : 08 June 2012 17:20:17(UTC)
uschoppershop

United States   
Dave,
Thanks for the advice. Will post back with results.
Offline uschoppershop  
#13 Posted : 08 June 2012 20:17:00(UTC)
uschoppershop

United States   
OK guys- check this out! Before I pulled this apart- I decided to give it a couple "raps" against my wooden desk. I booted it up and now have the right screen functioning perfectly and the left side is lit up. It appears now that the screen is just shifted to the right and may be fixable if I can somehow shift it over to the left and access the menu.

Any ideas?

I'm excited, I wondering if we can fix this one and give others who have the same problem hope with a little backwoods ingenuity! ThumpUp

Best,
Rick
Online H0  
#14 Posted : 08 June 2012 20:42:51(UTC)
H0

Hi!
To access the CS1 from a PC, you just enter the IP address of the CS1 into the web browser on your PC.

This will work if both CS and PC are on the same subnet (they are on the same subnet if they received their addresses from the same DHCP server).
Maybe this post will help:
http://blog.mailez.de/eblog/?p=14

Feel free to ask here if you need further information.
I will need further information about your TCP/IP configuration (settings of both CS1 and Mac) to help you.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline drwhitl  
#15 Posted : 09 June 2012 06:22:56(UTC)
drwhitl

OK guys- check this out! Before I pulled this apart- I decided to give it a couple "raps" against my wooden desk. I booted it up and now have the right screen functioning perfectly and the left side is lit up. It appears now that the screen is just shifted to the right and may be fixable if I can somehow shift it over to the left and access the menu.

Any ideas?

I'm excited, I wondering if we can fix this one and give others who have the same problem hope with a little backwoods ingenuity! ThumpUp

Best,
Rick

I'd be surprised if the screen would shift to the right by that much, so neatly. Are you sure you're not just looking at the right hand side of the screen and the left side isn't displaying?? If the latter is the case then it's probably a cable seating problem (the cables between the motherboard and the display). You could try re-seating those, but be ultra careful and try not bend the cables around any more than you absolutely have to: - those ribbon cables get very brittle, the conductors will start breaking inside, and you'll finish up with vertical lines missing on the display. Been there, done that, and I don't think there's any home-do-able cure once the rot sets in. I had one like that and it's only through Dave Banks's generosity that I rescued the unit. Dave donated his unit (above) that had been eaten with battery corrosion, and I managed to make one good unit out of 2 dead ones. You mightn't be so lucky.
If you're going to try a reseat, start with the small right hand cable first and then the adjacent one - they're not as fine (or touchy) as the 2 that control the vertical lines. You might be lucky.

cheers
Dennis
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by drwhitl
Offline intruder  
#16 Posted : 09 June 2012 17:40:20(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Talking about CS1 and PC screen:

Does anybody remember the url for showing the CS1 screen on the PC (as a BMP file, I think)?
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Online H0  
#17 Posted : 09 June 2012 18:38:31(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: intruder Go to Quoted Post
Does anybody remember the url for showing the CS1 screen on the PC (as a BMP file, I think)?
http://192.168.2.105/cgi-bin/screen
(192.168.2.105 must be replaced with the current IP address of the CS1).

Isn't there a link in the main menu of the CS1?
It's there at least since version 3.0.1 (but I don't recall if it already was there with versions 2.0.3 or 2.0.4).
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline uschoppershop  
#18 Posted : 10 June 2012 03:52:46(UTC)
uschoppershop

United States   
Back to blank screen.. have to open it. I ordered the super small torx bits- will post correct size when I receive them in and status after opening-
Offline uschoppershop  
#19 Posted : 10 June 2012 04:02:37(UTC)
uschoppershop

United States   
Originally Posted by: drwhitl Go to Quoted Post

Any ideas?

Best,
Rick

I'd be surprised if the screen would shift to the right by that much, so neatly. Are you sure you're not just looking at the right hand side of the screen and the left side isn't displaying?? If the latter is the case then it's probably a cable seating problem (the cables between the motherboard and the display). You could try re-seating those, but be ultra careful and try not bend the cables around any more than you absolutely have to: - those ribbon cables get very brittle, the conductors will start breaking inside, and you'll finish up with vertical lines missing on the display. Been there, done that, and I don't think there's any home-do-able cure once the rot sets in. I had one like that and it's only through Dave Banks's generosity that I rescued the unit. Dave donated his unit (above) that had been eaten with battery corrosion, and I managed to make one good unit out of 2 dead ones. You mightn't be so lucky.
If you're going to try a reseat, start with the small right hand cable first and then the adjacent one - they're not as fine (or touchy) as the 2 that control the vertical lines. You might be lucky.

cheers
Dennis

The funny thing about it- it was the left side of screen shifted to the right- so if I made contact with the screen on the blank left side in the approximate area of where the icon should be- you watch the key stroke appear on the (visible) right hand side display!! Kind of fun... I'm off to tear it apart with a chainsaw and 5 lb sledge hammer- I also have 3 cro-bars...Cursing
Offline NZMarklinist  
#20 Posted : 10 June 2012 09:23:29(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
If it were me I'd be hoping the ebay vendor would take it back, and refund my money Unsure
Mine had screen shift due to an internal fault that was only made more apparent by the reload and I had to send it back to ESU.
They replaced it with another complete unit, but charged me the screen replacement price.
Screen replacement fee used to be around 80eu, main board replacement was about 110eu IFIRC but the service price list has been removed from the ESU site. ThumbDown
Through Toottoot that cost me only $NZ200, thanks Dion, but at least it works excellently now ThumpUp
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider